Allied Spirits as PCs

Rob Darvall

Yet another nephew (12yo) wants to play as the group's Rhino.

To work this in with my very urban Pavis game I'm running a YGWV scenario in which he's the much reduced remnant of the clan wyter which can transfer between the rhino and a rhino horn knobkerrie (an idea which delights him).

Has anyone got tips and tricks they've used for this sort of thing?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Rob Darvall said:

I don't know why but I am defiantly envisioning Terry Pratchett here, so my best tip is watch a few of the Disk World movies to see the fun spirits can have interacting with mortals. Death is a particular fave, I know he is not an allied spirit (let me rephrase, I hope he is not an allied spirit). 

Did you know if your game does not vary... the Rhino might not be welcome to Pavis. Pre Argrath, would not be welcome without a little handwavium to the variations. Seems the only time the gates of Prax were ever threatened were by a charging rhino. Rumour has it, that the gate it hit (the gate held but definitely wobbled according to the Praxians) that that gate is still the weakest to this day. A little factoid that could lead to great roleplaying challenges and in my alternate Prax, possibly hilarity.

I suppose comedy is often my resort, but when talking a boy and his rhino, I am irresistibly pulled in this direction.

Cheers

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Praxian steeds are stabled routinely in New Pavis, and all manner of Praxian beasts are always welcome to enter Badside. Of those that do enter Badside, few emerge intact, though.

Stabling or corralling rhinos or high llamas may be a bit problematic, agreed. Can high llamas even pass under the city gates?

4 hours ago, Rob Darvall said:

The beast, not the rider, right?

I remember a convention where I was faced with a similar quandary when one of the players showing up wanted to play a centaur and what I had prepared was a dungeon crawl with lots of climbing and narrow passages.

To work this in with my very urban Pavis game I'm running a YGWV scenario in which he's the much reduced remnant of the clan wyter which can transfer between the rhino and a rhino horn knobkerrie (an idea which delights him).

Neither gives your nephew's character much in the way of manual dexterity or mobility in tight places.

I think the only game I would handle this kind of stuff would be "Plüsch, Power und Plunder", a game where you play plushies leading a hidden life among modern humans.

This kind of role removes a lot of agency from your nephew, or might stretch the belief of the fellow players (unless they all are the same age group).

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

The beast, not the rider, right?

Yes the beast.
He'll act as a sort of allied spirit for his RW brother's Asst Shaman character (cue tragic backstory); being ridden as Rhino and carried as Knobkerrie. I went with remnant wyter so I can preload him with lots of magic to make up for the lack of limbs.
We also intend to do a Rhino's only session where we flashback to their genesis.

I'll go through my copy of "Fuzzy Heros" in lieu of "Plüsch, Power und Plunder".

The person most excited by the notion is my 49yo brother (Rhino-boy's uncle).

Praxian steeds can be stabled, but they're unlikely to get through Riverside alleys well. Though a Rhino may well go through Riverside housing without much bother. Bill's hilarity angle is looking decidedly likely. Now to work out how I get him onto the second floor.

5 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

I don't know why but I am defiantly envisioning Terry Pratchett here, so my best tip is watch a few of the Disk World movies to see the fun spirits can have interacting with mortals. Death is a particular fave, I know he is not an allied spirit (let me rephrase, I hope he is not an allied spirit). 

I suppose comedy is often my resort, but when talking a boy and his rhino, I am irresistibly pulled in this direction.

Cheers

I always found the Death story arc to be VERY Heroquesty, esp Hogfather. I'll go back and re-read the dialogue (can't stand the movies. They don't do justice to my mental images, or Kirby's covers).

A Rhino and his boy, surely?

A sentient rhino in a city of tight alleys, how could slapstick NOT be part of this? Not to mention getting in to Gimpy's.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Videopete said:

Claiming to be chunky unicorns.

Something something unrealistic beauty standards...

I love the character idea personally (although admittedly that's in part because it's coming from a child and not my decidedly munchkinny players...).

I suspect you'll be wandering into YGMV territory anyhow with this, so why not just ask the player what his nature is? "You're a talking rhino, and want to go to the city. Why? The people there don't wanna let you into the city (you're a big grumpy rhino after all); what do you tell them?"

It may be better to harness your nephew's creativity than to look for a canon-friendly answer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my publications here. Disclaimer: affiliate link.

Social Media: Facebook Patreon Twitter Website

7 hours ago, Rob Darvall said:

Oh thank you for the wee bit of humour in a year deciding lacking in yucks, and talking about getting in under the wire... Just in time!

1 hour ago, Rob Darvall said:

He'll act as a sort of allied spirit for his RW brother's Asst Shaman character (cue tragic backstory); being ridden as Rhino and carried as Knobkerrie. I went with remnant wyter so I can preload him with lots of magic to make up for the lack of limbs.

With enough magic, I wonder if one could come up with something resembling Plunder’s old Morakanth thumbs.

Now to work out how I get him onto the second floor.

cue hilarity...

A Rhino and his boy, surely?

:)

Not to mention getting in to Gimpy's.

Oh I would pay many bolgs, clacks, and guilders to see this... 

Thanks again for the yucks!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Videopete said:

Claiming to be chunky unicorns.

Either A) some trickster *Lied* to him and no-one has been able to convince him otherwise, or b) he *is* a trickster, and uses that Lie regularly... Official documents from the Pavis authorities stating that he is, indeed,  a unicorn. When the LM priests come to confirm, they also agree...  

Edited by Shiningbrow
  • Like 2

On 12/31/2019 at 9:00 AM, Rob Darvall said:

Check this scenario by MOB: http://rpgreview.net/mob/madpraxintro.htm

One of the characters in it is a Light Lady's allied hawk spirit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There's a clip from the film "The Gods Must be Crazy", where one of the characters explains that Rhinos put out fires in the bush, by smelling a fire from miles away, running in and peeing over it to put it out. I always thought that just be a thing in Prax. Is Grandfather Rhino hostile to Oakfed?

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

54 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

I think one only has to consider Oakfed's rampage in Australia for an answer to that.

That's their problem - No Rhinos in Australia.

• Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

I'm a volunteer firey in Australia. (Fortunately I've only had to stand by so far)
Thanks for the LoL I needed it.

In that case please visit this page and weigh in if you wish. Created in  honour  of our antipodean friends as we call ‘em in Canada. 

Edited by Bill the barbarian

2 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

In that case please visit this page and weigh in if you wish. Created in  honour  of our antipodean friends as we call ‘em in Canada. 

Sorry Bill. Glorantha is my happy place since the RW one burnt. Trying (failing) not to think about fires here.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Ali the Helering said:

Returning to the OP, would it make for an interesting game if the players played a shaman's fetch and spirits? 

Sounds good to me, I like to explore things outside myself (though I will often hang a character on a familiar hook to make the game easier, but that is me). If playing a rhino and a familiar contributes to MGF I like it, and you can’t tell them “Oh, grow up!” in this case now can you?  

Now, you always have good comments. Let me turn this around and ask, why you ask.

Cheers

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

Sounds good to me, I like to explore things outside myself (though I will often hang a character on a familiar hook to make the game easier, but that is me). If playing a rhino and a familiar contributes to MGF I like it, and you can’t tell them “Oh, grow up!” in this case now can you?  

Now, you always have good comments. Let me turn this around and ask, why you ask.

Cheers

Thanks☺️

I have been a student of shamanism for several decades, and have always had an interest in how people like to simulate it.  Michael Harner's concept of 'Core Shamanism' falls into the tempting over-simplification of God Learnerism.  Greg seemed to go down that line, but it isn't the only approach one could take. 

Harner emphasised the perceived commonality of experience, whereas I think what makes shamanism especially interesting is the variety of experience. 

Playing a shaman's spirits could IMO produce an interesting 'community game' as an alternative to a 'clan game'. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ali the Helering said:

Playing a shaman's spirits could IMO produce an interesting 'community game' as an alternative to a 'clan game'. 

That's actually a cool idea! The idea of PC's being non-corporeal spirits (aside from the shaman) could be challenging at first, but if their Region of the Spirit Plane happens to be the Spirit World reflection of, say, the Starfire Ridges (or whatever) it could provide a familiar starting point. (Normal combat would likely go out the window, so you might need to figure a way to have more extended combats - say on the line of HQG extended contests - as would Agility, Stealth, and Manipulation, but otherwise you might be able to translate Communication, Perception, Knowledge, and Magic skills). And you might still need to quest into the Gods War, and perhaps doing so "forms" a physical body for the spirit.

• Like 3

A similar spin-off that came to me as I was thinking about this thread is to take a group of Praxian's from different Tribes, organized around a cult/religions mission (such as all Daka Fal, needing to find some skull, or a Fetish once wielded by Tada, or etc; or all Eiritha, dispatched from the Paps by MRE, to investigate/remedy the loss of fertility at an oasis; or etc)

and then have the PC's all be the awakened Mounts

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig