Jackals: Bronze Age Fantasy Roleplaying powered by OpenQuest

smiorgan

Am I the only one in hype for the upcoming OpenQuest powered bronze age rpg coming from Osprey?

https://www.amazon.com/Jackals-Bronze-Fantasy-Roleplaying-Osprey/dp/1472837428/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Jackals+Osprey&qid=1582374103&sr=8-1

The Zaharets, the land between the Vori Wastes and the Plains of Aeco, is well-known as the Land of Risings. Dominated by the rising city-states of Ameena Noani and Sentem, facing each other along the great War Road, the Zaharets has always been home to powerful civilizations. Beastmen ruins dot the landscape, a constant reminder of the Kingdom of Sin and the fragility of the Law of Men. Even older are the great ruins of the Hulathi, the legendary sea peoples, and the Hannic mansions sealed beneath the mountains, awaiting those who would seek out the Lost Folk. Scars abound from the wars between ruined Keta in the north and Gerwa in the south. And, far to the east, the legends of Muadah still beckon occultists and Jackals who seek to plunder its corrupted ruins.

Inspired by the myths, cultures, and history of the Ancient Near East, and by such ancient texts as the Iliad, the Epic of Gilgamesh, and the Old Testament, Jackals is a Sword & Sorcery roleplaying game set in a Fantasy Bronze Age. With mechanics based on the popular OpenQuest system, the game places players in the role of Jackals - adventurers, explorers, sellswords, and scavengers - and sends them out into the peril-filled land of the Zaharets to make their fortune. or perhaps fulfill a greater destiny.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I've just got "Romance of the Perilous Land", and if this rpg is of any indication, the production values of Osprey rpgs are outstanding.

https://ospreypublishing.com/romance-of-the-perilous-land

And there's even a Jackals campaign planned for 2021:

https://www.amazon.it/Jackals-Children-Bronze-Grand-Campaign/dp/1472837681/ref=sr_1_1?qid=1582374366&refinements=p_27%3AJohn-Matthew+DeFoggi&s=books&sr=1-1

(not found on Amazon's American site)

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I don't have any RPGs from Osprey but I have read a number of their military books and the content and production are first rate. If anyone (besides Newt) can make OpenQuest shine it will be Osprey.

Edited by rsanford

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

8 hours ago, rsanford said:

I don't have any RPGs from Osprey but I have read a number of their military books and the content and production or first rate. If anyone (besides Newt) can make OpenQuest shine it will be Osprey.

Osprey rpg books are very neat, well produced little things of beauty. I also like their Frostgrave minis wargame line. Beautiful books.

Guest Vile Traveller
On 4/14/2020 at 5:23 AM, smiorgan said:

You need to ask the author/ Osprey. I'm just going to buy it.

Haha, I got confused by "we" have a cover! I thought you'd landed a deal with Osprey! 

Edited by Vile

11 hours ago, rsanford said:

I don't have any RPGs from Osprey but I have read a number of their military books and the content and production or first rate. If anyone (besides Newt) can make OpenQuest shine it will be Osprey.

It does raise the bar for OpenQuest 3's production values, gulp! :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

How did I miss this? 

I love the clean simplicity of OQ, and this looks like a great product for it.

Yeah I'll definately be grabbing Jackals!

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

17 minutes ago, Newt said:

Its one of Ospreys line of RPGs so marketing will be kinda last minute, it's not out until September 2020 according to Amazon page.

Cool, thanks. Plenty of time.

I'm still waiting to see what you do with OQ3, or has OQ3 become the system for Skyraiders?

Because it sounds a little like a streamlined OQ to me 😎

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

OQ3 is very much its own thing and based off Legend OGL SRD. Its a big happy Fantasy Adventure FRP with a few modern bells and whistles. Its a base system that I, and others, can write adventures/settings pretty straight out of the book. It will be OGL and there will be an online SRD  and a word doc SRD. 

Skyraiders is its own thing. I wrote the rules base quickly over two days and while it has many similarities to OQ3, it is a bit more experimental in places. Its also written from scratch, and I won't be releasing it under the OGL. Other self contained D100 games from me and other D101 writers will probably use the underlying system, which I'm calling the D101-System.

Head Honcho of D101 Games
Publisher of Crypts and Things/Monkey/OpenQuest/River of Heaven
The Sorcerer Under the Mountain

• 4 weeks later...

Hey everyone,

John-Matthew here. Someone reached out to the Iconic podcast about Jackals, and mentioned they heard about the game on this thread, and I came straight over. I wanted to say how exciting it was for me to see a thread about Jackals on the BRP forums. It was surreal to find it here! 

If you have any questions, I will answer them if I can.

J-M

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Leketh said:

Hey everyone,

John-Matthew here. Someone reached out to the Iconic podcast about Jackals, and mentioned they heard about the game on this thread, and I came straight over. I wanted to say how exciting it was for me to see a thread about Jackals on the BRP forums. It was surreal to find it here! 

If you have any questions, I will answer them if I can.

J-M

Are you kidding? We want to know everything? For starts how integrated is OpenQuest into the setting? And did you expand OpenQuest at all? I read the blurb you put up on Amazon (I have ordered the book) anything you can expand on here?

• Like 5

Check out our homebrew rules for freeform magic in BRP ->

No reason for Ars Magica players to have all the fun!

Absolutely! Tell us about the setting! Can you drop any teasers?

why Openquest when you’re clearly a 13th Age dude? 
Have you heard of Zenobia by Paul Elliot?

Why not go all-in historic vs home brew?

What were your thematic influences for this setting and the planned campaign?

Will there be a pdf option?