Heroquests wanted

coffeemancer

I come to you asking for help.

Sooner or later the players in my game will want to go on a heroquest but so far there are no rules or example quests for the current edition.

I also know only of heroquests for ONE person from the PC games.

Are there any books or sources that list and explain heroquests? Specially for parties?

That's very much a problem with the heroquests we know so far. While the protagonist in the heroquest (e.g. Orlanth vs. Aroka) may declare a number of companions to represent his weapons and items, taking on the role as part of the "Arming of ..." rite at the onset of that quest (for Aroka collecting the klanth, the sack of winds, probably the winds), these quests still remain very much a "one quester and their helpers" stuff rather than the Fellowship of the Ring.

The Issaries/Lhankor Mhy (plus Urox) quest in King of Dragon Pass is a little closer to the concept of a party quest, and then there is the archetypal party quest, the Lightbringers' Quest (narrated, but not played out in King of Dragon Pass). The Seven Mothers Quest doesn't have a write-up, but would be a communal quest, too.

There are two livestock raiding quests that have been written for unspecified numbers of questers - The Plundering of Aron, a joint venture of various Storm Brothers whose subcults were invented for Hero Wars (especially Finovan the Raider, Helamakt the Rainstorm and Desemborth the Thief), and the Red Cow Quest in The Coming Storm (for HeroQuest Glorantha).

At the current state of publication, there are some sources like Heortling Mythology which gives you lots of myths of mythlets that could be quested, the quite arcane and obscure Arcane Lore which documents how Greg Stafford struggled with producing a working game system for heroquests, with a few more sample quests from early experiments, and the Hero Wars and HeroQuest material which has some info on questing, but not for RQ.

Edited by Joerg

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 minute ago, coffeemancer said:

I dont mind "BIG HERO X and his wee merry helpers" quests. I reckon each PC will get a chance at being the big guy in their own time.

In that case, the way Hero Wars named the companions of an Orlanth devotee his four or six storms is one way to sneak supporting characters into a quest. "Let me be your sword/spear/shield/healing power, oh mighty hero!" And usually one test tailored for each of these companion roles, too.

Those tests don't have to be dramatic. When Greg ran the Plundering of Aron at Tentacles some 16 years ago, or so, our group of Thunder Brother wanna-bees arrived at the Sivin Event, where aldryami ambush the party and the party is saved by the magic of Helamakt. I did play a Helamakt initiate, so I had my character step forward and say "I am Helamakt", and Greg took over describing the Sivin Feat, lightning and rainstorm that devastated the aldryami and their forest, didn't even let me roll for that, and just said, "that's what Helamakt does."

Now if Greg had decided that rather than Aldryami, this ambush would have been gnomes attacking from below (the "heroquest surprise" that will alter one or several events away from your expectations), this feat would have had a much less certain outcome.

There are heroquests where that have stations where in the original myth the quester is taking a loss or a wound - stations where your questers aren't expected to win. The myth about the Lightbringers has no story that Orlanth and his companions hack down their host, the Only Old One, and his retinue after Eurmal admits having killed the OOO's son. If you are playing a LBQ and your players decide for some reason that they won't be arrested here, so be it. The objective of the LBQ will most likely be lost, and lots of other consequences may grow from that. The supporters of the quest will suffer terrible backlashes, and Glorantha may be changed forever - at least locally.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

1 hour ago, coffeemancer said:

Sooner or later the players in my game will want to go on a heroquest but so far there are no rules or example quests for the current edition.

HeroQuests are fun, I am glad that you want to try them.

1 hour ago, coffeemancer said:

Are there any books or sources that list and explain heroquests?

Arcane Lore goes into them in detail. Mongoose did some good stuff around HeroQuests, but they are hard to get hold of.

Next month, I should be publishing Secrets of HeroQuesting under Jonstown Compendium, which should explain HeroQuesting. Also should have Secrets of HeroQuesting 2 which will contain over 30 HeroQuests.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

For Heroquesting inspirations, I couldn't do without my King of Sartar exemplary! There are also many inspiration sources in the very first HeroWars editions (I have them in french Multisim Edition, and several in english). I know a few RQ or HQ GMs who still extract material from these... Maybe you can still chase them on the internet?

14 hours ago, soltakss said:

HeroQuests are fun, I am glad that you want to try them.

Arcane Lore goes into them in detail. Mongoose did some good stuff around HeroQuests, but they are hard to get hold of.

Next month, I should be publishing Secrets of HeroQuesting under Jonstown Compendium, which should explain HeroQuesting. Also should have Secrets of HeroQuesting 2 which will contain over 30 HeroQuests.

Yes please look like I'll get that cause I am interested in hero questing.