Arkat returns!

Desert Wind

There's definitely limited material, but as far as I know, you've got the handle of it: Safeslter and Ralios devolve into a crazy 5-way civil war when 5 different versions of the Great Arkat all show up claiming to be the One True Arkat.  There will be crazy amounts of war and politics as they figure that out.

As for how that relates to other parts of the Hero Wars? 

• It weights heavily on Tanisor's dreams of expanding empire. 
  • IIRC, eastern Ralios is going to get Reforested by the Elves, so that'll be a mess for the Arkats to deal with (I wonder if any can play nice with the Aldryami). 
  • I don't think it will effect Fronela much, but I could be wrong.
  • Somehow, Dorastor is going to be an issue.
  • The Pralori are probably going to try to expand their power wherever the Reforestation occurs.  So, Galini vs. Pralori cavalry battles are likely.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Is this in any way going to affect Argrath & the other "Arkats" (speaking in the mythopoeic sense)?

I don't see how, at least for a few decades.  I mean, Dragon Pass and the Safelster city states don't have many interaction.

Argath (well, one of them) is basically confirmed to be a reincarnation of Arkat, especially following Belintar and Sedenya/Jar-Eel's conversation in Prince of Sartar. It's possible that he, or someone acting in his name, is one of the Arkats of Ralios.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

Argath (well, one of them) is basically confirmed to be a reincarnation of Arkat, especially following Belintar and Sedenya/Jar-Eel's conversation in Prince of Sartar. It's possible that he, or someone acting in his name, is one of the Arkats of Ralios.

I had forgotten that.

13 hours ago, Franky Umathsson said:

There is limited material on the subject exept that 5 Arkats return and seem to have problems working together. 

Let us not forget that of those that return (GtG 385):

One is a troll, one is a Chaos monster, and no one is quite sure which incarnation the other three are.

Troll Arkat would likely be appear at Zorakarkat, Kimiv's alliance with Halikiv (secretly supported by the matriarchs of Urz Kalamok) and his membership of Argan Argar Chain would seem to cement that. Kimiv looks like a troll puppet.

Arkat the Deceiver is a good candidate for Chaos Arkat, one of the sects that claim to have mastered chaos (GtG 376). This is clearly Argin Terror's work.

I would hope that one of them appears in support of Alangellia. As such Daran would make an obvious power centre for this Arkat. She would obviously marry Arkat.

It would also be cool to have an Arkat to appear as the head of the Chariot of Lighting sect.

I'd also have Foyalfine surprised at Arkat stepping from the Eye of Worlds. 

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

14 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Remember that Arkat / Argrath both mean liberator. Argrath is mythically identified with the role of The Destroyer. In Gloranthan mythology I don't think there's any differentiation between them. Jar-eel is the Red Goddess and understands what Nysalor went through at the hands of Arkat. In her mind Arkat = Argrath. In the end she will be Nysalor to Argath's Arkat. And so it repeats.

Edited by David Scott
Misremembering corrected!

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

16 minutes ago, David Scott said:

Remember that Arkat / Argrath both mean leader. Argrath is mythically identified with the role of The Destroyer. In Gloranthan mythology I don't think there's any differentiation between them. Jar-eel is the Red Goddess and understands what Nysalor went through at the hands of Arkat. In her mind Arkat = Argrath. In the end she will be Nysalor to Argath's Arkat. And so it repeats.

I thought it meant Liberator 🤔

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Ali the Helering said:

I thought it meant Liberator 🤔

According to the sourcebook (page 206) and guide (459), you're right.

Theorising time in spoilers!

On the other hand, it's possible his name includes a word for Leader. If we assume "ar-" is some form of negation, like "a-" in words derived from Latin and Greek, or the more Germanic "un-", "kat" may be derived from "kot" as in Vingkot meaning leader or master.

Arkat may mean "no leaders" being similar to Anarchy. Which may be linked to it also being taken as "Betrayer" as he's opposing all leaders, including his. He's also the liberator as he opposes bad leaders, and I couldn't help but suggest an echo of Graf in Grath.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Nevermet said:

I'm assuming that the Reforestation will severely limit overland travel between Ralios & Maniria

Only if the Elves win. I'm sure that's why Troll Arkat has returned. This is Hero Wars, it's not guaranteed that everyone's scheme will work. I've always imagined the reforestation as a moving front, not a sudden appearance of trees everywhere. I would assume that one of the aims of the Brown Elves would be Hrelar Amali due to its significance to Flamal. The Green Elves - Sog City (as it's mentioned as the target in Greg's notes) with the Green Elves of Kanthor’s Forest sending ships. Once the target was held they would fill in with an expanding circle. 

1988527143_HWAldryami.png.e56127049f32f9a94ab3c3604982a5d6.png

Solid lines - Primary fronts.

Dashed lines - Secondary fronts.

• Like 1

-----

On 5/30/2020 at 7:26 AM, David Scott said:

Only if the Elves win. I'm sure that's why Troll Arkat has returned. This is Hero Wars, it's not guaranteed that everyone's scheme will work. I've always imagined the reforestation as a moving front, not a sudden appearance of trees everywhere. I would assume that one of the aims of the Brown Elves would be Hrelar Amali due to its significance to Flamal. The Green Elves - Sog City (as it's mentioned as the target in Greg's notes) with the Green Elves of Kanthor’s Forest sending ships. Once the target was held they would fill in with an expanding circle. 

I respectfully disagree :) 

The Guide states the initial Reforestation will occur, which means that large portions of western Genertela will become (re-)covered with old growth forest in a matter of days.  Maniria is a low population region, and there is a relatively small gap between the Tarinwood and the Arstola Forest.  Assuming the Aldryami are not going to be big fans of large caravans or armies, I feel it's safe to say that the trip between Maniria and the Safelster area is going to get exponentially more difficult.  I also think it's a reasonable prediction that most of the Pralori will throw in with the Elves, which will only make it harder.  Over the middle- and late Hero Wars, Maniria will be increasingly focused on Esrolia, the Sea, and the Forest.

On 5/30/2020 at 12:48 AM, Richard S. said:

Argath (well, one of them) is basically confirmed to be a reincarnation of Arkat, especially following Belintar and Sedenya/Jar-Eel's conversation in Prince of Sartar.

Although the comic intriguingly identifies him as The Destroyer, not The Liberator.

And given future history, it's hard to see that it has it wrong...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Although the comic intriguingly identifies him as The Destroyer, not The Liberator.

And given future history, it's hard to see that it has it wrong...

Liberation/Salvation is often a painful ordeal. Reminds me of the prophecy  from Wheel of Time: 

Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow,
born once more as he was born before,
and shall be born again, time without end.
The Dragon shall be Reborn,
and there will be wailing and gnashing of teeth at his rebirth.
In sackcloth and ashes shall he clothe the people,
and he shall break the world again by his coming,
tearing apart all ties that bind.
Like the unfettered dawn shall he blind us, and burn us,
yet shall the Dragon Reborn confront the Shadow at the Last Battle,
and his blood shall give us the Light.
Let tears flow, O ye people of the world.
Weep for your salvation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Liberation/Salvation is often a painful ordeal.

The White Moon is the Moon of Calm,
for none are quieter than the dead.

• Like 2

On 5/31/2020 at 4:06 PM, David Scott said:
On 5/31/2020 at 2:07 PM, EricW said:

That would be the Lunar Arkat?

Sheng is the mirror of the Red Emperor

Arkat is the mirror of Gbaji/Nysalor

Argrath is the Mirror of the Moon

It is quite reasonable to equate the Red Goddess/Emperor and Gbaji, making Arkat, Sheng Seleris and Argrath as essentially enemies of the same being.

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

7 hours ago, soltakss said:

It is quite reasonable to equate the Red Goddess/Emperor and Gbaji, making Arkat, Sheng Seleris and Argrath as essentially enemies of the same being.

It is reasonable to equate the Lunar side with Nysalor. All sides involved in this piece perceive the others either as an aspect of themselves, or as Gbaji. (Where the two options aren't mutually exclusive.)

• Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis