looking for a god(dess)

Hi loremasters, I need your helps to identify wich goddess (or god) could fit with one of my character :

She is a lunar slave (so her origin can be anywhere in the world I believe)

She plays harp and sings

she can only use her specific runic spells when she simultaneously plays and sings

Her magic is focused on creating temporary emotions (pleasure, peace, sexual lust, rage or fear) but not to entertain.

When she is playing, anyone listening her must stop any activity/discussion and see her, feeling the emotion she decides to create (one emotion for all her public)

As soon as she stops, the effect ends, people go back to their activities but the feeling remains for some time (1 hour ?) at a lower level.

the god(dess) worshipers are in some way cursed: As they provides temporary emotions, they cannot feel true and great passions ( max 60%), they cannot truly enjoy the life

I don't know if this deity exists (I mean is named / described somewhere). If not all idea about a name / location is welcome too

• Thanks 1

cult companion - yelm - What he touched was a Rune, and it transformed into the Harp of Harmony at the sun god’s touch. He taught music to many of his sons and daughters, and appointed Hyraos Truetune special caretaker and god of Harping. Because of Yelm’s position as Emperor of the World, the harp became the instrument of nobility.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Donander is a widespread god of entertainer's and wandering minstrels.

Non-canon writeup:

http://www.kerofin.demon.co.uk/cults/donandar.htm

Harana Ilor is his parent, and the Celestial Court Goddess of harmony and musicianship. As such is not normally worshipped; she is too big and abstract to tie down to any simple social role or occupation. So it seems perfect for a unusual PC who is cursed or God-touched, with unique magic that noone expects or can duplicate.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

or in different worlds 13 there was Erlin the Harper, Gateway but maybe useful.

37 minutes ago, radmonger said:

Donander is a widespread god of entertainer's and wandering minstrels.

Non-canon writeup:

http://www.kerofin.demon.co.uk/cults/donandar.htm

Harana Ilor is his parent, and the Celestial Court Goddess of harmony and musicianship. As such is not normally worshipped; she is too big and abstract to tie down to any simple social role or occupation. So it seems perfect for a unusual PC who is cursed or God-touched, with unique magic that noone expects or can duplicate.

I know Donandar, not Erlin, but both seems to me to be entertainer (so not what I want - a sad / cursed person, but not a bad one, just bearing the world on her shoulders)

Harana Ilor is interesting, is there any myth about a "broken" Harana ?

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

cult companion - yelm - What he touched was a Rune, and it transformed into the Harp of Harmony at the sun god’s touch. He taught music to many of his sons and daughters, and appointed Hyraos Truetune special caretaker and god of Harping. Because of Yelm’s position as Emperor of the World, the harp became the instrument of nobility.

A daughter of Yelm could be also a good candidate. One kidnapped or maybe better seduced by another god (storm; water...) then cursed by Yelm : " you played for our ennemy, continue but you will never again know the true felicity of light ". Does it make sense ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

Hi loremasters, I need your helps to identify wich goddess (or god) could fit with one of my character :

She is a lunar slave (so her origin can be anywhere in the world I believe)

She plays harp and sings

she can only use her specific runic spells when she simultaneously plays and sings

Her magic is focused on creating temporary emotions (pleasure, peace, sexual lust, rage or fear) but not to entertain.

When she is playing, anyone listening her must stop any activity/discussion and see her, feeling the emotion she decides to create (one emotion for all her public)

As soon as she stops, the effect ends, people go back to their activities but the feeling remains for some time (1 hour ?) at a lower level.

the god(dess) worshipers are in some way cursed: As they provides temporary emotions, they cannot feel true and great passions ( max 60%), they cannot truly enjoy the life

I don't know if this deity exists (I mean is named / described somewhere). If not all idea about a name / location is welcome too

Sounds like Sedanya to me.

11 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

You could always have a Hero or demigoddess cult, perhaps a daughter of Hyraos, Donandor or Erlin. She could have exchanged her emotions to make temporary emotions in others, giving her emotions away.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Yelm may have given his/her harp-player to Mostal who needed someone to "set the pace" of his tool-children's work? Something akin to the drummer in a war galley?

The servant was an artist but this ultimately annoyed Mostal because his/her rhapsodizing caused variations (and as such trouble) in the workshop's pace. 

So Mostal marked the artist with a Stasis rune brand, killing his/her ability to feel passion and artistic creativity.

Edited by Minlister
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/18/2020 at 9:42 PM, French Desperate WindChild said:

She plays harp and sings

On 8/19/2020 at 9:10 AM, French Desperate WindChild said:

by mind manipulation powers yes. But I don't want a winning goddess  (yes I know, she doesn't win all the time). I would like a victim

Usually I would say Uleria because The Harp, songs and Emotions really fit the goddess of Love (You can use Ernalda profile in RQG since she is not listed) and in a second hand the curse way make me think about the First Harp Myth and Harana Illor. Harana Illor may still have a tiny cult even if the goddess is no more (the same) and As she hold the Harmony Rune using harmonisation magic (groups trance) really fit her.

There could be some second hand gods like Hyraos, Dara Happan God of the Harp and we don't know much about (Good to improvise a new cult, and create a myth where the god like Orpheus lost his love trying to resurrect her and failed and now all his cultists have lost their love to death and must seek the scattered part of the goddess to bring her back to life...).

Like there exist a Golden Bow cult, you can also create a First Harp Cult which as a mythic's part of ancient god can still give Rune power but with a limitation of broken curse...

Make your choice...

• Like 1

A Lunar slave, but which moon?  There's a whole mess of slaves tied to the Blue Moon in Fonrit, and in addition to Seseine they provide a less, ah, malevolent option for a put-upon goddess.

Afidisa was the goddess, demigoddess or heroine of the Artmali, aka Veldang, the people of the Blue Moon, who went before Pamalt Earth King of the south to petition for a place in Pamaltela for the Artmali to settle in the God Time.  After she proved her power to heal and restore by rebuilding the long-ruined Camp of Innocence with just her presence and magic, Pamalt recognized the good in the Artmali and granted them a homeland in Pamaltela.

Within Time, ~500 ST, the wicked Pamaltelan hero Garangordos and his companions, the Glorious Ones, set about a twisted re-enactment of the Necklace of Pamalt, the Earth King's quest to save existence from Chaos in the Great Darkness.  Garangordos's corruption of the Necklace established the system of magical slavery that still undergirds Fonritian society, with the conquered Artmali forming the brutalized base of the new social pyramid.  During the Glorious Ones' quest they were approached by a beautiful blue woman who asked to be allowed to take part, but Garangordos rejected her from their company and later claimed she was a guise of Afidisa.  'Rejecting Afidisa' in their magical re-enacment of saving and regenerating the world gave the Glorious Ones a theological justification for enslaving all the blues in kingdoms they raised in northern Pamaltela, and powerful magic to back up the new arrangement.

5 hours ago, EricW said:

Seseine surely - some dangerous Seseine worshippers started as slaves.

https://glorantha.fandom.com/wiki/Seseine_Kallig 

could be a good idea for another slave (or the same) but in play. But if Afidisa.... the same origin could be a great hook

3 hours ago, dumuzid said:

Afidisa was the goddess, demigoddess or heroine of the Artmali, aka Veldang, the people of the Blue Moon, who went before Pamalt Earth King of the south to petition for a place in Pamaltela for the Artmali to settle in the God Time.  After she proved her power to heal and restore by rebuilding the long-ruined Camp of Innocence with just her presence and magic

But is there any link with music / song ? seems to me more a goddess for slaves (healer / builder) ?

Sedanya and Jar-eel give great powers. Here I'm looking for a goddess ininteresting in fight. I need for a character who need to be helped but seems to have no interest

Today my best candidate, but  it is not definitely acted :

a daughter of Yelm, destined to entertain her court with song and the harp.

One day she "betrays" him , falling in love for an enemy god. But after a few twists and turns, she returns to her father.

Yelm, discontented, condemns her to be deprived of feelings and her art could only move his audience temporarily and he would forget it just after.

(excuse my google translation, i tryed to improve it but I m pretty sure there are too much mistakes)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

excuse my google translation, i tryed to improve it but I m pretty sure there are too much mistakes

No, it's good.

• Thanks 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

2 hours ago, Joerg said:

Why not make her a devotee of Jar-eel the Razoress? Jar-eel is bound to have a cult of her own, also outside of her personal bodyguard.

I cannot see someone able to lead full armies, win so many battles, destroy Belintar or fight in front of the berserk bear as the "loser" I m looking for :)  I expect a "follower" (sometimes a burden), not a leader

I need  a whining goddess, not a winning one (that was my first attempt to an english wordplay...  sorry... 🙈 i will not do it again, I promise, well I am illuminated, so don't care my promise)

• Like 1