So what other games do BRP fans play ?

weasel fierce

Think it would be faster to list ones I have not tried over the last 30 years.

At present playing Cowboys and dinosaurs with my 5 year old son( Rules. Build Cabin and tower with toy logs, stock it with cowboy figures and then knock down with plastic dinosaurs.)

I also been playing online games with my 2 older kids, Swords of the New World and Endless online . as Kids like them and cannot beat the price. Free so that makes wife happy.

I'm also play in a Call of Cthullu game set in the 22 century when time permits and play Hearts of Iron II on the computer on my days off'.

I am planning on starting a RQ game come january when my schedule at work changes.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I GM Call of Cthulhu.

I play a weekly game of D&D 3.5 run by my roommate.

I've played one-shots of Savage Worlds (Necessary Evil), Paranoia, Star Frontiers (and considering running a few games of it), and a homebrew D100 game based on Flash Gordon/Barsoom called Amazing Space Adventures.

In the future I'll be running:

The Savage World of Solomon Kane

Star Wars d20

Star Frontiers

Kobolds Ate My Baby

possibly a few scattered one-shots of D&D 3.5

"A DM only rolls dice for the noise they make." -- Gary Gygax (attributed)

Leaving aside the stuff I played yonks and yonks ago, I've played Midnight (d20), a homebrew BRP derivative, Truth & Justice (one-shot), Call of Cthulhu (one-shot), and (currently) Spirit of the Century.

I haven't GMed in a while, except for a one-shot using PDQ, but I'd like to run some unspecified game based on BRP, FATE 3.0, or GURPS 4e. Mythic Russia sounds tempting; so does Tales of the Caliphate Nights, although maybe I'd transpose it to FATE or BRP.

Stuff I'd like to play or GM once, just to say I've done it: Savage Worlds, new World of Darkness, True20, Primetime Adventures, Burning Wheel, Zorceror of Zo, and a bunch of indie games.

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

Interesting topic! :)

First, the games I played a lot of.

BRP games:

RQ 2 and 3 for many, many years (in Glorantha and Questworld).

CoC, several adventures, needed a new character each time. ;)

Non-BRP games:

D&D 3.0 and 3.5

Champions

ShadowRun

The Fantasy Trip (Wizards, Melee and Into the Labyrinth)

Other games that I played for a while, but not really a full campaign.

BRP:

Stormbringer 1

Ringworld

Non-BRP:

AD&D 1st (What I started playing RPGs with)

Vampire: The Masquerade

Fading Suns

Paranoia

Middle-Earth Role-Playing (MERP)

Fantasy Hero

Cyberpunk

Psi World

Palladium

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles RPG (Uh, well, I was in high school and well...)

Robotech RPG (Damn, this is embarassing...)

I'd better stop. :o

Seriously though, I have some of the original TMNT comics and graphic novels and I have the entire Robotech series on DVD. They were pretty cool when I was 15 or 16.

I have a ton of other games, some of which I played once or twice and some I ended up not playing at all. Won't bother to list them all.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Bertrand Russell (1872 - 1970)

30/420

Other games I play right now:

Candyland

Chutes and Ladders

Disney DVD Bingo

(what can I say, I have small children)...

I've played Candyland and Hi Ho! Cherry-O! recently. :thumb:

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

30/420

So, I'm the only one here to play Rolemaster and SpaceMaster?

Wow.

NickMiddleton and I are alone in the enjoyment of Ars Magica...

Played more than once:

Ars Magica

Boot Hill

Bushido

Champions

Chivalry & Sorcery

Cyberpunk 2020

DC Heroes

D&D 3.5

GURPS

Mage

Mercenaries Spies & Private Eyes

Recon

Rolemaster

RuneQuest

Shadowrun

Spacemaster

Star Frontiers

Stormbringer

Werewolf

Wild West

The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done."

George Carlin (1937 - 2008)

(92/420)

How is Hi Ho! Cherry-O!? We've almost picked that up a couple of times - I think my daughter would like it.

Its okay. Simple counting game, very random. My son, Jack, liked it. He's three.

Downside is if you bump the board, cherries go rolling around everywhere and can be a pain to try to put back where they belong. :ohwell:

30/420

Wow.

NickMiddleton and I are alone in the enjoyment of Ars Magica...

I bought both Rolemaster and Spacemaster and looked them over, but both systems seemed too complex and chart heavy for me.

I have played Ars Magica a couple times and it seemed pretty good, but no one was willing to put in the time to develop a campaign.

30/420

I own heaps of MERP supplements, and generally thought they were great, if a bit "un-Tolkieny" and overly real-world derived from time to time. Maps were super.

As far as the rules were concerned, they were fine in their own way - but I guess were just too un-Middle Earth for me to get into for Tolkien roleplaying, and for FRP I already had RQ going strong. I remember some amazing critical and fumble charts, though...

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Well I tried to play ICE Cyberspace - the dystopian version of spacemaster - some years ago, but after several games I gave up on the complex rules and converted the setting to BRP. It was much better thereafter and we were able to continue to play in the formiable setting for another 2 years.

• 4 weeks later...

Unknown Armies

Over the Edge

Angel/Buffy/Cinematic Unisystem

Various Indie Games

Wushu

Exalted

Vampire

D&D (Mostly, I like having a large supply of players who know the system. I do hate running it, though, since it's such a huge pain in the rear. I'm looking forward to 4th ed because it looks like they're addressing the things I didn't like and adding cool stuff.)

I get a big kick out of the various WoD games. I like the new games for mechanics and the old ones for atmosphere.

I'd like to put Wraith on my play list, but I can't get anyone to come near it.

In recent years it's really just been some Castles & Crusades and a little bit of 3rd edition D&D before that. Going back a little further we've got some Hero system and (separately) FUZION supers.

Back in the 90s I wound up playing more GURPS stuff than anything else. Except for the early 90s when there was some hybrid 1e/2e AD&D and a wonderful Justice, Inc. pulp campaign. That's pre-unified Hero rules for those who don't recognize the name.

Headed back into the 80s it was TFT (ah, sweet TFT), LBB Traveller, 1e AD&D, Moldvay Basic/Expert D&D, and much Champions. Throw in some brief flirtations with Villains & Vigilantes, Daredevils and Top Secret and I think that's really it for actual playing. There's a whole bunch of stuff I've owned but never really got to do anything with - running the gamut from Bunnies & Burrows to Big Eyes, Small Mouth with countless weird stops in between.

Hey! There's something missing in there. Actually, no. As odd as it is (given that I'm here now) I never really played any Runequest or CoC or other BRP games. I always thought the system was neat, but no one else around me was really playing it. So I'd look over my Superworld, WoW and BRP books, sigh, and then put them away for the mythical rainy day. Which never came around. Until now :)

75/420

---

Geek blogging at http://strangestones.com

Hey! There's something missing in there. Actually, no. As odd as it is (given that I'm here now) I never really played any Runequest or CoC or other BRP games. I always thought the system was neat, but no one else around me was really playing it. So I'd look over my Superworld, WoW and BRP books, sigh, and then put them away for the mythical rainy day. Which never came around. Until now :)

Poor guy! You've gotta kidnap someone to play with! :P

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

Although I encountered a few other games, the ones I actually played regularly were:

Melee/Wizard

Classic Traveller

Champions/Justice, Inc.

Toon

Monster Island

I must be the only gamer alive who didn't cut his role-playing teeth on any version of D&D. Sat in on a session once, years later. My paladin got killed in the first 15 seconds. Didn't exactly whet my appetite for more. THACO? I just don't get it.

As a Hero System fanatic, I never saw the point of GURPS. Liked the multitude of campaign supplements, though.

I actually wrote a campaign supplement for Rolemaster, and I still didn't get it. I suppose having a group of Shadow World fanatics as gaming buddies would have helped.

Games I'd like to try (looking for something simple to play with my kids):

GORE

Risus

Plain-English Role Playing

Action! System

Faery's Tale

Always thought the back story for Candyland would make the basis for a great fantasy campaign. I mean, you've got a missing monarch, a kingdom in crisis, strange locations, monsters, a board full of suspects, a moustache-twirling villain, and all the bitter chocolate bats you can eat. What's not to like? :D

How could I have forgotten toon?? Shame on me. :innocent:

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

Do you mean people actually PLAYED Toon??? :eek:

How? I mean, you might as well run around your yard hitting one another with rubber balloons!

Erm... hang on... that was Killer, wasn't it? :shocked:

Just too many drugs, man, too many drugs. "I'm a six foot rabbit with a machine gun and a jello grenade." Course you are.

:eek: *I got the fear!!!* (steals pizza and runs off and hides)

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth