Courtesy in publications

Malin

5 hours ago, Squaredeal Sten said:

So if someone competent (not me!😄) were to volunteer (out of pure fandom and without expectation of significant profit, or with a profit-sharing deal) to scan the old copies and set them up for re-publication as PDFs, would you be likely to authorize that?  Subject to approval of the final version based on quality, of course. 

Who knows, you might have a volunteer out there.  😀  Or if you don't then that might quiet the recurring questions, since silence indicates agreement that the action would be a money loser..

People who want to assist the Nostalgia department are welcome to email me at rick-at-chaosium-dot-com. Please note that the main tasks are scanning, OCRing, cleaning up art in photoshop and doing layout in InDesign. Access to the original material is also required as we don't have spare paper copies of the originals to ship to people. Add all that up and that is why we get few volunteers.

NOTE: Such volunteers would be helping Chaosium produce these as Chaosium products. We are not interested in licensing this out.

• Like 7

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

If we have a look at all the RQ3 books, what is worth time and efford to get reprints done?

847 RuneQuest Deluxe Box  --> 2028 RQG

8571 RuneQuest Players Box  --> 2028 RQG

85711 Glorantha Bestiary  --> 2032 RQ Bestiary

85712 Apple Lane --> 4005 Apple Lane (RQ2) + 2029 GM Screen Pack

85713 Snake Pipe Hollow --> RQ2 4005 Snakepipe Hollow (RQ2)

85714 RuneQuest Cities  --> gereric

85715 Into the Troll Realms --> 4016 Trollpak (RQ2)

85716 Haunted Ruins --> 4016 Trollpak (RQ2)

85717 Daughters of Darkness --> to awful to think about it, non-Glorantha

8572 RuneQuest Game Masters Box --> 2028 RQG

8573 Monster Coliseum  --> generic, non-Glorantha

8574 Adventure Sheets Human  --> 2028 RQG

8575 Adventure Sheets Non Human --> 2028 RQG

8576 Vikings  --> generic, non-Glorantha

8577 Gods of Glorantha --> 4041-4049? Cults of RuneQuest

8578 Griffin Island  --> 4013 Griffin Mountain (RQ2)

8579 RuneQuest Standart Box --> 2028 RQG

8584 Land of Ninja  --> generic, non-Glorantha

8585 Glorantha - Genertela: Crucible of the Hero Wars  --> 4025/4026 Guide to Glorantha + 4033 Glorantha Sourcebook

8586 Trollpak --> 4016 Trollpak (RQ2) BUT New adventures

8587 Troll Gods --> 4016 Trollpak (RQ2) +  --> 4041-4049? Cults of RuneQuest

8588 Elder Secrets of Glorantha --> mostly: 4025/4026 Guide to Glorantha + 4033 Glorantha Sourcebook + 4039 The Smoking Ruin (parts still interesting)

8589 Eldarad, the lost City--> to awful to think about it, non-Glorantha

8590 Sun County  --> REPRINT WORTHY

8591 River of Cradles  --> 4015 Borderlands (RQ2) + 4021 Pavis (RQ2) + 4022 Big Rubble (RQ2) BUT New adventures

8592 Dorastor: Land of Doom  --> REPRINT WORTHY

8593 Strangers in Prax  --> REPRINT WORTHY

8594 Shadow on the Borderlands  --> REPRINT WORTHY

8595 Lords of Terror  --> REPRINT WORTHY

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

I like that list. I would, however, add Vikings and Land of Ninja (argh the 80's title). They were some of the best cultural supplements of the time.

As for the project itself, we would want to gather errata as well, and make sure it was properly integrated into the text. While we know where errata for the main book is, mostly (in the back of the softcover), I'm not sure if there are lists for the other titles that are available. 

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
need to use my words

On 8/9/2023 at 8:57 AM, AndreJarosch said:

This one is interesting. It has more meat than CoT, but the majority of stuff (far from all though) in it is going to end up in the Chaos cults book, one imagines?

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

This one is interesting. It has more meat than CoT, but the majority of stuff (far from all though) in it is going to end up in the Chaos cults book, one imagines?

Some of the innovations are questionable and the example characters won't be in the book.

23 hours ago, SDLeary said:

I like that list. I would, however, add Vikings and Land of Ninja (argh the 80's title). They were some of the best cultural supplements of the time.

As for the project itself, we would want to gather errata as well, and make sure it was properly integrated into the text. While we know where errata for the main book is, mostly (in the back of the softcover), I'm not sure if there are lists for the other titles that are available. 

SDLeary

They are good. But maybe they should be converted to BRP?

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Soccercalle said:

They are good. But maybe they should be converted to BRP?

That would be an option, though if this project went forward, it would be good to have a couple of non-Gloranthan supplements, as what's presented in the core rules is a basic Earth-type early Medieval setting. 

Besides, BRP has Mythic Iceland on the way... one of these years. 

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
Spelling
  • Like 1

In the Glorantha bestiary there were several creatures in there ( mostly Pamaltan I think ) that didn't get into the RQ bestiary - it'd be nice to see them provided. maybe one day if there is a Pamalta supplement we might see them there.......

Edited by Agentorange
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2023 at 2:57 AM, AndreJarosch said:

8590 Sun County  --> REPRINT WORTHY
8591 River of Cradles  --> 4015 Borderlands (RQ2) + 4021 Pavis (RQ2) + 4022 Big Rubble (RQ2) BUT New adventures
8592 Dorastor: Land of Doom  --> REPRINT WORTHY
8593 Strangers in Prax  --> REPRINT WORTHY
8594 Shadow on the Borderlands  --> REPRINT WORTHY

While I am happy to see you all discuss which products you want reprinted, please understand that we already pretty much have that figured out. I include the above snippet of Andre's list because those are definitely on our "want to reprint" list (please don't ask for the status). 

• Like 5
  • Helpful 2

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

12 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

While I am happy to see you all discuss which products you want reprinted, please understand that we already pretty much have that figured out. I include the above snippet of Andre's list because those are definitely on our "want to reprint" list (please don't ask for the status). 

Thanks Rick, that is very helpful.

While discussing what we want (and I am NOT asking you to answer me in any way), my dream RQ3 reprint would be:

RuneQuest 3rd based on the Deluxe 1993 paperback with the inclusion of:

• the Genertelan Character Creation (page 22 to 34 of the Genertelan's Player's Book from the Genertela box) added to Book 5: Glorantha Book
  • the errata at the back of the paperback incorporated in the text.

But I would also settle for just the RQ3 paperback 😉

With that, anyone could use RQG products and mix and match with any kind of flavors from RQ1, RQ2 and RQ3.

Edited by DreadDomain

13 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

And THAT is an answer a potential helper with scanning, OCRing, etc. can work with. 

Thank you very much for the clarification, Rick! 
Helpful as ever. 

Edited by AndreJarosch

On 8/12/2023 at 2:55 PM, Martin Dick said:

Hasn't this been already done for Strangers in Prax by Ian Thomson and co? (

)

Yup, all done last year. Full text recovery and editing, all images salvaged, even cover (and even errata incorporated!)

Labour of love, and one I was happy to spend time on and co-ordinate other fine folk doing the same

Still hoping it leads to a re-release as pdf

As an addendum, we are also still happy to complete the job and recreate the product exactly as it was (or with the addition of an appendix of some notes on running the sorcerer characters as GMCs without needing sorcery rules). I'd prefer the latter, but am happy with the former if thats the preference from the folk in charge

If a go ahead is granted, probably could have it done in a month

Just as soon as someone official says Yes

If such a Yes was forthcoming, I'd be happy to put equal efforts into reclaiming Shadows on the Borderlands too. (Just in case anyone at Chaosium HQ wants to jump on this offer!) :)

Edited by Ian A. Thomson
  • Like 5

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Life and Traditions Under the Sun Dome (still a work-in-progress title) has now passed 150 000 words, and I'm sat here trying to assemble inspiration images for our cover artist. Finally folded and added updates so it's also easy to use in the 1625+ timeline. Loving this project, but will hate having to layout it. Haven't done that since the late nineties... 🙃...

Still so stuck on what to do about family history. I've not touched on it yet, since I love the one included in Sandheart and plugs that module for those things, but now that there's also a 1625 option it would be a good idea to have an updated one to cover those interesting ten years. Ugh. Not sure what to do about that yet, I suppose that's always the problem you run into when you try to make things compatible across other supplements.

• Like 4

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

1 hour ago, Malin said:

I've not touched on it yet, since I love the one included in Sandheart and plugs that module for those things, but now that there's also a 1625 option it would be a good idea to have an updated one to cover those interesting ten years. Ugh. Not sure what to do about that yet, I suppose that's always the problem you run into when you try to make things compatible across other supplements.

The approach I ended up using in the Nochet: Adventurer's Guide was to put together a Quick Adventurer Background (which I thought might be a reasonable approach for those not familiar with Glorantha). One table of main entries with sub-options for each entry - gets a reasonable range of results for a group of PC's without requiring rolls for lots of years (and getting "a normal year" results).

• Helpful 1

Ask @MOB if you can leverage major events appearing in his fiction, from after the Cradle through to Moonbroth. And if you’re doing a Sun County book and want help with layout, just let me know: I’d be delighted to lend a hand.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

Ask @MOB if you can leverage major events appearing in his fiction, from after the Cradle through to Moonbroth. And if you’re doing a Sun County book and want help with layout, just let me know: I’d be delighted to lend a hand.

I sent a DM right now! Good call, I had already planned to use that timeline, but I hadn't asked officially yet (I wrote it yesterday, so hadn't gotten around to it). And, hopefully I'll figure the layout out, but if you fancy having a look at the text once we've reached the "probably all is here now, time for editing) I'd love to send you a document! I love your modules (read Crimson King last night).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

1 hour ago, Nick Brooke said:

If you leave a nice review for Crimson King, I will do all the layout chores for you.

Did one for the Black Spear, will do one when they let me for the Crimson King. Beware what you promise, it's gonna be a beefy book... 😉

• Thanks 1

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️

10 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

If you leave a nice review for Crimson King, I will do all the layout chores for you.

Done! But I wont hold you to that promise (but will perchance ask once it is time). Writing reviews was fun, I need to go through my very long lost and do that...

• Like 1

☀️Sun County Apologist☀️