Should I try Runequest 2 edition?

muminalver

Hi, there I own 3 edition of runequest, but I saw that chaosium offers pod of the rulebook and some of the classical supplements. That combined with me feeling an old school urge, for running classic basic roleplaying game. And so many on  YouTube recommend or talk highly of the 2 edition, makes me curious is it easy to grasp compared with more modern basic roleplaying? would it be fun? Laid back and a little gonzo? Or should I just run 3ed instead?? Or run 4ed stormbringer..?? 

I'm not keen on running "serious" runequest adventures.. mor just have fun with ducks, trolls and others..

I liked RQiii, and enjoyed playing for many years. However, it didn't love it as I did RQ2.

For me, RQiii fixed a few irksome things with RQ2, but I thought was slightly over the top, many things that didn't need changing were.

But the New RuneQuest in Glorantha is exactly what I hoped RQ2 was going to be, it fixes the odd thing that didn't work so well, and polishes everything so that it really gleams, so for me, it's definitely the way to go.

However, if you like RQiii, then RQ2 is a really good system, and much to be recommended. RQ leapt out fully formed and good from the start (I've heard that RQ1 and 2 are very similar), and if I wasn't lazy about house ruling the odd bit here and there I'd probably have stayed with RQ2 rather than RQiii. 

(But the settings and adventures for RQ are awesome, TrollPack, Pavis, and my favourite Balazar, just amazing, and work RQ2, RQiii and RuneQuest in Glorantha).

But all very much my own opinion.

• Helpful 1

The RQ2 rules are simpler, with fewer elaborations than RQG.
The rulebook is decidedly old-school & suffers a bit organizationally.

Here's a quick & IMHO invaluable primer on character-creation (which has some highly-inobvious page-flipping needed):
https://2ndage.blogspot.com/2016/07/runequest-classic-edition-char-gen.html

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

I see RuneQuest 2 as a very archaic version of BRP, and I deeply regret it was the basis of RQ:G.

RuneQuest 3 was certainly too complex, and Mythras missed things like POW economy and OpenQuest is perhaps too simple for my tastes, but I still prefer any of those 3 over RQ2.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

14 minutes ago, Mugen said:

I see RuneQuest 2 as a very archaic version of BRP ...

Given that it went   RQ1 --> RQ2 --> [everything else]   I cannot argue it is at least one of the very oldest (modulo only RQ1).
My experience is that it still plays smoothly and elegantly at the table, however (and better than many much-newer RPGs).

I think some more-modern RPG ideas might have profitably been included; but the game-design issues are probably deeper than I'm qualified to evaluate.

Edited by g33k
  • Helpful 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I played RQ2 for decades. A great game, with the right level of complexity (to my taste of course). I started role playing with it, and never had any diificulty to understand the rules which I never found not well organized. I changed only for RQ:G (and Heroquest:G which is a different approach).

There was an undescriptible feeling in this game, a way to subtly stand back and not forget that it is just for fun. I never need for RQ3, although I bought it.

And I love the Defense %.

Edited by Zit
  • Like 2

Wind on the Steppes, role playing among the steppe Nomads. The  running campaign and the blog

RQ3 was a better rules set than RQ2, but the RQ2 rulebook and supplements just oozed setting loveliness.

We played many a game with RQ2 and thoroughly enjoyed it, but that was 40 years ago. 

So, give it a go. The PDFs are cheap enough to buy and discard if you don't like it.

• Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

RQ3 introduced:

- cults deviating from the standard template, so not every cult has rune lord.

- different cultures starting with different skills

- a full range of profession

- sorcery

Even the fatigue rules were some kind of attempt to stop players walking around in metal armour 100% of the time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Godlearner said:

I am surprised to hear that. My assumption was he wanted a Rules Lighter version which, imo at least got us to RQG.

As I believe later said similar about HQ and RQG, it's quite likely that the comment re: RQ3 was from a very specific point-in-time.

Just now, jajagappa said:

As I believe later said similar about HQ and RQG, it's quite likely that the comment re: RQ3 was from a very specific point-in-time.

From memory he was fine with the RQ3 rules (other than sorcery) up until characters started to Heroquest- that was the point where he was never able to create cohesive rules that meshed with RQ3 while enabling Heroquesting, which was part of where the inspiration for HW/HQ came in. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jens said:

From memory he was fine with the RQ3 rules (other than sorcery) up until characters started to Heroquest- that was the point where he was never able to create cohesive rules that meshed with RQ3 while enabling Heroquesting

We are still in the same place with HeroQuests.

1 minute ago, Godlearner said:

We are still in the same place with HeroQuests.

Good news- a reliable source* tells me they'll be released next year!

(* the reliable source being an ad from 1980. Of course we'll all be thrilled when the Gamemaster book for RQ:G, which should finally include those rules, is published.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Thank you all for your input and advice,  I will probably pick up a pod of the rules and some of the supplements (prax and cults of terror) from Chaosium.

I will try to run it with a mixed bag of players (both young and old) running a fun runequest/glorantha experience,  not to serious.. filled of joy and wonder..

And thanks for the links it was really helpful for deciding what to do..

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Godlearner said:

I am surprised to hear that. My assumption was he wanted a Rules Lighter version which, imo at least got us to RQG.

According to what I read on this forum from Jeff Richard, RQ2 was chosen as a basis for RQG because a group of playtesters new to RQ (but not CoC) tried it and Mythras, and prefered the older game.

Honestly, if the goal was to make a Rules Light(er) Gloranthan BRP game, I think there are far better candidates to use as a basis.

Edited by Mugen

6 hours ago, Godlearner said:

I was very surprised at the time - and totally strapped for cash, so it wasn't good to hear, either!  At the same meet (in London, UK) he suggested an interim approach to HeroQuesting involving dividing all skills over 100% by 10, and ignoring those below, with Rune Magic functioning as Battle/Spirit Magic, and those magics removed.

Oddly enough, it kinda worked for a while....

3 minutes ago, Ali the Helering said:

dividing all skills over 100% by 10, and ignoring those below, with Rune Magic functioning as Battle/Spirit Magic

Divide the skills by 5 instead and you have the basis of Hero Wars 😉

6 hours ago, Jens said:

Divide the skills by 5 instead and you have the basis of Hero Wars 😉

Not quite correct. Dividing RQG skills by 5 produces a much lower power level in Questworlds as skills above one mastery aren't that rare, and required to have a somewhat similar success rate with opposed rolls.

Telling how it is excessive verbis