After The Vampire Wars is Out

cjbowser

Chaosium has added After The Vampire Wars to their catalog. It can be yours for the low price of $100,000,000.00! If only it wasn't out of stock...

http://www.chaosium.com/after-the-vampire-wars/

Yes, I realize it's only a place holder with an outrageous price tag to prevent people from ordering it before it's available. 

But, if you really want to see Chaosium publish more BRP titles, all it will take is one purchase at this price to move BRP out of the less than 10% of sales bucket.

• Like 2

I got a couple of screen shots of it if you need it for reference!

Present home-port: home-brew BRP/OQ SRD variant; past ports-of-call: SB '81, RQIII '84, BGB '08, RQIV(Mythras) '12,  MW '15, and OQ '17

BGB BRP: 0 edition: 20/420; .pdf edition: 06/11/08; 1st edition: 06/13/08

That cover would kinda put me off, a kind of Shadowrun with monsters vibe... but I like a lot of Mr. Snead's ideas so that brings me back.

:o As opposed to Shadowrun's entirely not off putting "cyberpunk with Dwarves, Elves and Orcs"?

:D

As you alluded to, John Snead has an impressive and diverse list of writing credits in RPG's over the years, so I'm sure it will be worth a look: whatever the quality of the cover art, the subject and composition seems to capture the thumbnail details of the setting as he has previously described it pretty well.

cheers,

Nick

:o As opposed to Shadowrun's entirely not off putting "cyberpunk with Dwarves, Elves and Orcs"?

Yeah, I wasn't very clear.

I never did much care for the overt fantasy aspects of Shadowrun... I'd have preferred something less out in the open, like the Night Watch/Day Watch books or GURPS Cabal. Shadowrun ended up feeling like cyberpunk D&D to me in actual play.

Still, I do plan on buying After the Vampire Wars to see how Mr. Snead works it.

John Snead is a pretty good writer for this sort of thing, and it should chime in well with his Enlightened Magic supplement too. I do see the connection with Shadowrun, but my immediate connection was with Vampire: The Masquerade - albeit with the True Blood conceit of vampires being ‘outed’ in society at large. It could make for a great dark urban fantasy campaign. 

For me, I’m going to hold out for PDF releases, however. With all the recent announcements made by Chaosium/Moon Design/Design Mechanism about the futures of BRP/RQ I’m in a bit of a spin. So I’m generally putting a freeze on all physical purchases till I know how each line is going to be approached in the future. 

I'm with Trippy Hippy on this one. It strikes me more as True Blood turned up to 11 rather than Shadowrun. Maybe, when coupled with Enlightened Magic, it'll be BRP's answer to The Dresden Files. Personally I would have preferred early Hellblazer with the forces of magic still being secret and only known to those with power.

Granted, all this is based purely on the cover, what the web-site blurb says, and flipping through a copy at GenCon. 

I'm with Trippy Hippy on this one. It strikes me more as True Blood turned up to 11 rather than Shadowrun. Maybe, when coupled with Enlightened Magic, it'll be BRP's answer to The Dresden Files. Personally I would have preferred early Hellblazer with the forces of magic still being secret and only known to those with power.

Granted, all this is based purely on the cover, what the web-site blurb says, and flipping through a copy at GenCon.

I'm not going to make any assumptions just based on the cover, a Shadowrun like world wouldn't disappointment me. But in the light of this discussion, there are a few different vampire settings out there where vampires are known to the general populace and they are either accepted or hunted, unlike the sickening love-fest that is True Blood. This could be something entirely different altogether or it could like others have said a remake of something else. Hard to say. With True Blood being so mainstream I wouldn't be surprised if it borrowed elements from that, but for my own respect towards Chaosium, I surely hope not. For all we know it could be very nWOD with the vampires known instead of trying to hide. THAT I'd be very okay with.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

I'd only given my impression based on the cover, not purporting that I actually believe it's like Shadowrun or anything in particular, yet.

Being as it's for BRP of course I'm going to give it a deeper look... doubly so because I'm fond of the guy's other writing... and regardless I'm going to look at it for resources I can steal for other settings.

Edited by Simlasa
  • Like 1

I'd only given my impression based on the cover, not purporting that I actually believe it's like Shadowrun or anything in particular, yet.

Being as it's for BRP of course I'm going to give it a deeper look... doubly so because I'm fond of the guy's other writing... and regardless I'm going to look at it for resources I can steal for other settings.

With what's on the Chaosium page and the cover, it's really hard to say what the book is or isn't about. Being a d100 book from a major company, I'm going to pick it up and see for myself what it's about and go from there. You never know what it will truly be like until you have it with time to read it.

In some ways I tire of the vampire thing, but there are still sub-genres of vampire folklore that will interest me (like nWoD type stuff), but I won't know until I have it.

Get all our products at our website: www.devotedpublishing.com

Check Solace Games out on Facebook here!

I'm long past done with the sexy vampire elites, they're just cranky elves... but something more along the lines of the brutal ones in 30 Days of Night, unredeemable monsters, I'm still fond of that sort.

I do like the suggestion of 'wolfman with a gun' though... in a kitchen sink sort of way.