RQ * Wars thread

Trifletraxor

Fearing the ferocious Disney litigation team, the thread discussing the sharing of the great fan supplement That Shall not Be Named has been removed. The mentioned supplement is still available online with a quick search (at least for the moment), but requests for it here on BRP Central from other members should be avoided for the safety of the site. 

(Jeez! How did it come to this? Litigious society! :()

• Like 2

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

If anyone wants a copy of some document or other, then send me a PM or email soltakss at yahoo dot com. Don't forget to include your email address, though!

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 5

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Actually there is no evidence so far that Disney will change LucasFilm's long tradition of benign non inteference in fan created materials.

The D6 fan created game has not been harassed, there is a long tradition of very detailed fan materials on Star Wars (Wookipedia itself for example), and so I really do not see the issue. As long as you are not making money and it's fan based, should be fine.

But this doesn't constitute legal advice, I am not a lawyer, it is just my honest opinion.

mmmm, but maybe I am wrong after all...

Disney Lawyers Act Like Sith Lords

Edited by tzunder
evidence emerged

Fan publications are probably fine.

However a company publishing a commercial RPG themselves releasing a free supplement for playing it in the SW universe might be sailing a bit close to the wind in terms of commercial exploitation of the franchise.

Simon Hibbs

• Like 1

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

4 hours ago, simonh said:

However a company publishing a commercial RPG themselves releasing a free supplement for playing it in the SW universe might be sailing a bit close to the wind in terms of commercial exploitation of the franchise.

Particularly if there should happen to be an officially-licensed RPG out ... 

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/#/universe/star-wars

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

I much prefer non-canon games anyway... a not-Star Trek that retains the motivating elements (positive outlook, high tech, organized hierarchy) but none of the strictures of adhering to particular characters or places (having to stop every five minutes so the resident Trekkie can lecture me about the serial numbers on Spock's jammies).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ptingler said:

It would be easy to file the serial numbers off and just do generic space fantasy name replacements in the PDF. Maybe Loz and Pete will do that in 2016.

They talked about doing that, but never seemed to get around to it what with all the professional books they have put out for actual sale. Some of the material did make it into Luther Arkwright though. They both have the same basic vehicle combat system as an example, although the one in [Supplement Withdrawn], or [SW] for short, has some small extra tweaks for dogfights. 

11 hours ago, Simlasa said:

I much prefer non-canon games anyway... a not-Star Trek that retains the motivating elements (positive outlook, high tech, organized hierarchy) but none of the strictures of adhering to particular characters or places (having to stop every five minutes so the resident Trekkie can lecture me about the serial numbers on Spock's jammies).

That's my feeling both as a player and as a GM. It makes it a lot easier to actually go where no one has gone before on your five year mission. In sci-fi games, I usually let players make up their own alien species for their character. Like Spock in Star Trek or Chewbacca in Star Wars,  they set the template for that species and any NPCs I add riff off of that. They can make something new, or just make a Not Vulcan. Whatever is fun for them. The appeal would be in having an interesting crew with differing viewpoints all working together to explore the universe and solve problems.

Farscape is another show where the appeal is in the situation as much as the specific setting. If I were to do a Farscape game, I wouldn't worry about modelling all the specific races on the show, as much as letting each player come up with their own character with a dangerous background that has reason to be sent to space prison, put them all on a ship and let them run. Having a limited list of aliens from the show for the character to pick from seems like missing the point if you really want to replicate the feel of the show. 

• Like 5

On 1/3/2016 at 8:45 PM, tooley1chris said:

Permission to start a Supplement Withdrawn (SW) thread? :):):o 

Discussing Supplement Withdrawn (whatever that is) should be okay as long as no request for Supplement Withdrawn are made in the thread.  

[Poking Supplement Withdrawn with a 10 foot pole]

• Like 2

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

15 minutes ago, Aelwyn said:

This is a link to a story about a company that we may or may not be discussing and about which I have no comment:

https://www.theselfemployed.com/law/disney-threatened-sue-daycare-centers/

I remember when this story broke, and I have to admit that I don't see why some people think it is a special kind of evil for them to sue day care centers. They are businesses that charge parents a lot of money. Yeah, they are providing a service to children, but grocery stores sell baby food, clothing stores sell kids clothes, and construction companies make houses that kids live in. Nobody would balk at the idea of suing them. 

• Like 2

Maybe we should even kill this thread, I'ld hate BRP Central or Design Mechanism to be made an example of...

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

Baulderstone, on a strictly legal basis, I agree, and as a content provider, I have some sympathy for people who want to protect their IP. But sometimes it's not worth the negative PR. In the case of the day care centers, Universal and Hanna-Barbera jumped in and offered to repaint the day care centers for free, using their own characters. Making Disney look very, very bad.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/wdco/daycare.asp

Edited by Aelwyn