BRP book too late?

badcat

To some extent, I think that BRP may suffer from a poor choice of name. The acronym is second only to GURPS for poor sound, and the "Basic..." part makes it look like something you start with before going on to grander things.

Ugh, I cannot tell you how much I agree! Basic Roleplaying as a name is a turn off, to me. I really, really don't understand why you wouldn't go with "the Chaosium system".

Frank Flitter's "Mungerbund Saga", published with the Chaosium system - sounds cool

Frank Flitter's "Mungerbund Saga", published with the Basic Roleplaying system - sounds like something off of Sesame Street

I'm just saying...

Blessed Be,

)O( Mike )O

http://web.mac.com/boghouse/iWeb

"So much of what I see reminds me of something I read in a book, when shouldn't it be the other way around?"

~You've Got Mail (1998 film)

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vile Traveller

As an alternative, I don't think "the Chaosium system" cuts the icing. I admit BRP is not the bees' knees in modern marketing, but have you ever tried saying "Chaosium" quickly, three times in a row? With a mouth full of nachos? While slightly drunk?

If they'd just gone with "Chaos", maybe. Short and sweet. Until then, I'm content to stick with BRP.

conrad,aikighost....look in the mirror. That is where the sulky children will be peering back. Brats with a keyboard.:eek:

Frankly I am beginning to be embarassed I have the same hobby as you little shits...no, wait, I don't. Not even similar. Your hobby is trying to rattle someone elses' cage, isn't it?

You are both on my ignore list now, and there is no possibility of communication between us again. You do the same for me, little shits. Congratulations.

conrad,aikighost....look in the mirror. That is where the sulky children will be peering back. Brats with a keyboard.:eek:

Frankly I am beginning to be embarassed I have the same hobby as you little shits...no, wait, I don't. Not even similar. Your hobby is trying to rattle someone elses' cage, isn't it?

You are both on my ignore list now, and there is no possibility of communication between us again. You do the same for me, little shits. Congratulations.

Edit: Never mind, clearly pointless.

Timing is tricky thing indeed. While an earlier publication of BRP might have caused some to pick up and try it, chances are that they would have laid it aside when a new (and big!) shiny came along. Better would actually be to introduce a new game just when the D&D4th hype begins to fade, and restless players start looking around for something else.

Well, the utility to people who've decided the D&D experience is not what they want is a different story; unfortunately, BRP may not be any better to them, just in different ways. Someone who wants a high-cinematic game but not with the constraints D20 typically places on that may find BRP just as unacceptable in a different direction.

Lol to this, bit close to the bone I guess :D

conrad,aikighost....look in the mirror. ...

Badcat,much as I value many of your posts, and share some of your views... I'm thinking that if you're as cranky in real life as you are on here... well... THAT might have more to do with your difficulties finding a game group than what system you are using.

In the end it's just a game and not really worthy of a rise in blood pressure.

As an alternative, I don't think "the Chaosium system" cuts the icing. I admit BRP is not the bees' knees in modern marketing, but have you ever tried saying "Chaosium" quickly, three times in a row? With a mouth full of nachos? While slightly drunk?

If they'd just gone with "Chaos", maybe. Short and sweet. Until then, I'm content to stick with BRP.

How about "The d100 System"? It's five times better than d20! (Or five times more random ... whatever.)

Frank

"Welcome to the hottest and fastest-growing hobby of, er, 1977." -- The Laundry RPG

How about "The d100 System"? It's five times better than d20! (Or five times more random ... whatever.)

"The only RPG that matters."

I guess they could call it BURPS. But I don't recommend it.

In re: the main topic - BRP can find it's niche as long as there's good settings and material to support it. Probably wouldn't hurt to stress its connections to COC, since that game is popular.

It's not going to knock D&D off the charts. D&D has far more promotional money and muscle, as well as years of name recognition, going for it.

But there's room out there for BRP.

Anyway, I'll be able to play it. So I'll be happy.

My fear is that it seems as if Chaosium is relying almost entirely on outside submissions for settings book. Part of me thinks this great, as there is a lot of exciting stuff on the horizon. Unfortunately I doubt I will be able to buy it all, and knowing myself I will undoubtedly read less of it than I actually buy.

I have always held that despite the fantastic system, RQ 1/2 became so popular because of the excellent supplements that were released for it.

I'm afraid there will be kind of shotgun effect, many different 1-2 sourcebook supplements and no one flagship setting.

Playing D&D in Ebberon (which I have never opened a book for btw) it is a safe bet that you can find a game group in a setting you are familiar with just about anywhere you go. Already it is hard enough to find a BRP group, but if you do, what is the likelihood they play the same setting you do?

What is needed to grow the brp fanbase is one good setting (or at least one per major genre) that will be produced by Chaosium that receives continuing support and will sit next to the BRP rulebook on store shelves across the country.

I emphasised the word grow because we here are all pretty much diehards and in tune with every minor release coming out and excited about all of them. What would really help the game grow with new users is if for example Paul in Boston could tell Derek in LA: "I just played this new (sic) game, BRP, and it rocks. 'The Green' is awesome." and the next time Derek is in a game store in LA he sees BRP on the shelf, and sitting right next to it is The Green.

Much like the conversations that happened so many years ago: "I just played this new game, RuneQuest, and it it Rocks. Griffin Mountain is awesome!"

Help kill a Trollkin here.

Rurik,

I think you have raised a good point. I think one reason for RQ success was that the old Chaosium RQ supplements were so good. Even today they stand up well with what is now available.

But, very few of the people who wrote those supplements are still affiliated with Chaosium. So I don't they they have much choice that to go with outside submissions.

Maybe if they get a bunch of great writers and make some big bucks they could exapand to include a permanent staff of writers, but that isn't very likely.Maybe if Charlie Crank hits the lottery....

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

"I just played this new (sic) game, BRP, and it rocks. 'The Green' is awesome." and the next time Derek is in a game store in LA he sees BRP on the shelf, and sitting right next to it is The Green.

This sure would be nice, I can only dream.:P

294/420

conrad,aikighost....look in the mirror. That is where the sulky children will be peering back. Brats with a keyboard.:eek:(I'm 43 years old for Nyarlathotep's sake!:ohwell:)

Frankly I am beginning to be embarassed I have the same hobby as you little shits...no, wait, I don't. Not even similar. Your hobby is trying to rattle someone elses' cage, isn't it? ( You were the one calling names, so I think you should reconsider that opinion!:lol:)

You are both on my ignore list now, and there is no possibility of communication between us again. You do the same for me, little shits. Congratulations.( Further proof that you don't have the staying power or will to actually run a game. Your tantrum reminds me of my son's behaviour, and he is two years old.:D)

I'm laughing at Badcat for his mental inflexibility, impatience and lack of maturity, like I have to laugh when my son throws a strop. These appear to be the main reasons why he isn't running a game.

Badcat, please take some advice from an old timer.

Take a break, have a holiday from roleplaying. Then you can come back to it all with a fresher mind.Frustration makes people do strange things.

Learn some tolerance and patience. All good things come to those who wait ( and are prepared to run a game). I wish you good fortune with eventually finding the right group for you.

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

What is needed to grow the brp fanbase is one good setting (or at least one per major genre) that will be produced by Chaosium that receives continuing support and will sit next to the BRP rulebook on store shelves across the country.

Good setting, yes. One, not necessarily. BRP has always had, historically, three popular settings connected to it: Glorantha, the Lovecraft mythos and the Moorcock multiverse. These are now split between MRQ and BRP, with Lankhmar and Slaine added as bonuses to MRQ.

And produced by Chaosium, not necessarily. Chaosium's license agreement clearly states that they are interested in distributing products made by third parties. There is no reason to think an independent publisher will stop supporting a setting just because it is independent. And this you should know well, since you are playtesting episode 2 of my setting ;)

But, very few of the people who wrote those supplements are still affiliated with Chaosium. So I don't they they have much choice that to go with outside submissions.

I see no reason why outside submissions should be of lower quality than the old supplements made by in-house writers. Should, say, Sandy Petersen or Ken Rolston send in a manuscript, would Dustin or Charlie turn them over?

(okay, please let us dream about these things really happening)

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I know the feeling. Apparently this is a US thing. From what I've been told, in Europe D&D isn't quite as dominant as it is in the States. In my area finding D&D players is easy, but finding players forother games is considerably more difficult.

Here (I'm living in France, but playing in Switzerland), within the gaming group I'm part of, D&D is the most played game, but by far not the only one, and is nos dominant. But if I look in the stores, the matter is different, and D&D is more than half of what is available.

Runequestement votre,

Kloster

I'll ease off on 4e now, for one simple reason...I posted for a BRP group on one of the local meetup groups and got two firm bites almost immediately. There is some interest in the new rulebook around here after all, it seems. Maybe it was the way I was wording the ads. As long as I can get a game of BRP going I don't care about 4e. Oh, the bait is rebuilding a fallen empire and trying to get rich in the process. Swords and sorcery, Howard type stuff.

On a side note, to give you all an idea of just how prevalent WOTC is around here, the gamestore owner, Tim, informed me he sold 700 copies of the 4e Players' Handbook the FIRST BUSINESS DAY it was available. At this one store...800 pound gorilla, indeed.

Anyway, my :deadhorse: is done with.

I've been playing with some new guys the past couple weeks (Earthdawn with the GM's homespun system)... and last night some out-game conversation brought up 4e. They cross-talked about new rules I had no clue about... dropped references to Palladium and Boot Hill...

So then I said, "So am I odd man out at the table as the only one excited about the new BRP book coming out?"

Silence...

"What's BRP?"

So I had to say 'Call Of Cthulhu' and 'Runequest' before I got even vague recognition... one guy seemed to remember the book was coming.

Still... it was a mighty cold reception... I might as well have said, "Howsabout that new Sailor Moon RPG?!!!"

Made me feel kinda lonely...

:lol:Sometimes I am made to feel like I made a rude noise in public when I say BRP. I have to admit, though, Tim knows what it is and promises to stock a few copies. That's something. He looked at my coil bound pdf and seemed genuinely interested in spite of the massive 4e sales.

I think for Chaosium, they really need to look at some of the material they developed in the past and some of the best are the stories of Clark Ashton Smith --most especialy Zothique. Not only do you have two books devoted to Smith's "dying world", but there's a huge number of fans and designers out there who I know would love to be part of bringing Zothique to the RPG world. Maybe if Chaosium plays their cards right and made something really great, they could bring in some " Big Names" like Richard Corben or Guillermo Del Toro who are huge fans of CAS. I know Corben created some incredible paintings set in Zothique and Del Toro might be coursed into writing an introduction--maybe even an outline for a scenario! That's one supplement I would buy in a heartbeat!

On a side note, to give you all an idea of just how prevalent WOTC is around here, the gamestore owner, Tim, informed me he sold 700 copies of the 4e Players' Handbook the FIRST BUSINESS DAY it was available. At this one store...800 pound gorilla, indeed.
As another data point, our FLGS ordered 4 copies of AD&D 4.0 based on the owner's assessment of immediate interest. When I visited a week later, he still had 1 copy left. He'll sell it, and he'll order more to have on hand, but it wasn't flying off the shelf.

Steve

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

I think for Chaosium, they really need to look at some of the material they developed in the past and some of the best are the stories of Clark Ashton Smith --most especialy Zothique. Not only do you have two books devoted to Smith's "dying world", but there's a huge number of fans and designers out there who I know would love to be part of bringing Zothique to the RPG world. Maybe if Chaosium plays their cards right and made something really great, they could bring in some " Big Names" like Richard Corben or Guillermo Del Toro who are huge fans of CAS. I know Corben created some incredible paintings set in Zothique and Del Toro might be coursed into writing an introduction--maybe even an outline for a scenario! That's one supplement I would buy in a heartbeat!

I'd love to see a Zothique RPG. I remember a while ago lamenting with Dustin that they hadn't turned Dreamlands into a full-fledged RPG rather than keeping it as an extension of Call of Cthulhu.

An alternate might be one based on William Hope Hodgson's The Night Land.

My fear is that it seems as if Chaosium is relying almost entirely on outside submissions for settings book. Part of me thinks this great, as there is a lot of exciting stuff on the horizon. Unfortunately I doubt I will be able to buy it all, and knowing myself I will undoubtedly read less of it than I actually buy.

I have always held that despite the fantastic system, RQ 1/2 became so popular because of the excellent supplements that were released for it.

I'm afraid there will be kind of shotgun effect, many different 1-2 sourcebook supplements and no one flagship setting.

Playing D&D in Ebberon (which I have never opened a book for btw) it is a safe bet that you can find a game group in a setting you are familiar with just about anywhere you go. Already it is hard enough to find a BRP group, but if you do, what is the likelihood they play the same setting you do?

I emphasised the word grow because we here are all pretty much diehards and in tune with every minor release coming out and excited about all of them. What would really help the game grow with new users is if for example Paul in Boston could tell Derek in LA: "I just played this new (sic) game, BRP, and it rocks. 'The Green' is awesome." and the next time Derek is in a game store in LA he sees BRP on the shelf, and sitting right next to it is The Green.

Much like the conversations that happened so many years ago: "I just played this new game, RuneQuest, and it it Rocks. Griffin Mountain is awesome!"

I think you are abolutely right. I see it similar. To have a real success with BRP Chaosium should create a main setting. Some hours ago I had a similar discussion on the Gurps board. They said to me that Gurps is a "generic" system and thus cannot and should not concentrate on some main settings and ergo on any adventure modules. Is BRP in a similar one-way market niche? I dont have this opinion. I think that focusing on a setting is good for business and winning new gamers. At the moment they have CoC. But this is not enough. I think focusing with BRP on a fantasy setting should be the goal. Maybe the Green is right, I dont know. I have heard something about this setting. Maybe its good, but I would rather prefer if Chaosium fleshes out "historical fantasy" settings like Mythical Iceland or Myhtical Rome.