Mythic Rome Now Available

lawrence.whitaker

Mythic Rome takes you into the streets of the Eternal City and into the lives of its citizens. Discover Rome during its illustrious Republic and help shape the world's destiny. The Punic Wars, the Bacchanalian Conspiracy; brutal civil war between Pompey and Caesar - choose your sides and choose your weapons.

This book is a highly detailed and immersive study of Rome, covering culture, religion, magic, supernatural creatures, and its fascinating, labyrinthine history. Packed with quotes from scholars and historians of the time, filled with meticulously researched information. Mythic Rome is a must-have for anyone interested in historical rolelpaying, or simply republican Roman history in general.

$34.95 (hardcover + PDF)

$13.95 (PDF)

Order from these wonderful emporiums…

http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/products

http://www.aeongamespublishing.co.uk

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/194489/Mythic-Rome

You can download the Rome city maps, in colour, from www.thedesignmechanism.com/downloads

Mythic Rome Cover Small.jpg

Edited by lawrence.whitaker
  • Like 5

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Automatic download for me. It's something I've been waiting for. 

I'm considering making an order for the physical copy, but I'm just dithering a bit as I want to make one full order of several items rather than several if I get to it, and I'm also waiting to see whether to also get the new Chaosium RuneQuest or not, or to just focus on Mythras for the future. I already have RQ6 of course, and the last year of announcements have been a bit confusing.

3 hours ago, TrippyHippy said:

Automatic download for me. It's something I've been waiting for. 

I'm considering making an order for the physical copy, but I'm just dithering a bit as I want to make one full order of several items rather than several if I get to it, and I'm also waiting to see whether to also get the new Chaosium RuneQuest or not, or to just focus on Mythras for the future. I already have RQ6 of course, and the last year of announcements have been a bit confusing.

Well I'm certainly getting the new RuneQuest for use with my Gloranthan setting games, which will likely remain my main focus for fantasy gaming. I'm not sure if CRQ4 will be all that portable to other settings, given that the Runes will be quite integrated into character generation now, but that's okay. It sounds like it will definitely be tailored to Glorantha, and I'm cool with that.

However for any other fantasy or psuedo-historical settings I'll probably go with Mythras, considering its got the runs on the pitch here. Mythic Brfitain, Mythic Rome, Mythic Greece in the works, and perhaps Mythic Vikings one day. Yep probably my go-to system for these kind of things. 

I have the earlier BRP version of ROME, but I'll definitely get this edition if the hard copy is the same quality as Mythic Britain etc. Plus the indexed pdf will be a big improvement as well.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

1 hour ago, Verderer said:

Speaking of historical settings, did someone do Baltic Crusades sourcebook at some point, and was it for BRP or RQ?

Me. It was for BRP but it was originally written with MRQ2 (the ancestor of Mythras) in mind, so if you find a copy floating on ebay you should be able to use it with both the BGB and Mythras.

• Like 1

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

It was mainly content-focused which made it a great read, but also reasonably portable into any BRP family of systems without too much fudging. 

I would hope that many of the titles in this line are updated to either Mythras or to Revolution D100 at some stage, as the content has always been great and needs to stay in print with a current system.

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

The ideal thing for me would be to have a bit of a library of Mythic historical settings, along with a few other books for other things - including Glorantha, although I do have the Classic RuneQuest book and GtG already. I'm just waiting to see what the new RQ is like before I make a commitment to the direction of games I will actually run and play in the long term.

Mythic Rome, at this juncture, is really more appealing to me to be honest, but I've been stung a bit before when all the changes to RQ's ownership was happening. So I'm just being a little cautious at the mo - and I always deliberate over buying physical copy these days anyway. 

Edited by TrippyHippy

Ehm, please make any questions about Crusaders & such in the Revolution D100 forum. This thread is for Rome and other Mythic titles appearing in the Mythras product line and it would be inappropriate to hijack it. I have mentioned that Crusaders is compatible with Mythras (as are both old editions of Merrie England), which is something clearly useful to Mythras users and thus appropriate to the Mythras folders. Further considerations and requests about non-Mythras products could create confusion, particularly for those users who come to the forum once in a while to acquire quick information and do not have the time to read the whole history of all RQ/BRP/D100 products. Therefore, these particular subjects belong to other forum folders.

Back to gladiatorial combat and senatorial scheming, now :)

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

Aaannddd.... Purchased!  

Seriously thinking about running a "Gangs of Rome" kind of campaign.  Rome is the quintessential ancient metropolis, so the potential for different echelons of society to mix is quite great.

Can anyone else think of a basic storyline and/or plot arc for a Roman campaign?

22 minutes ago, ShawnLStroud said:

Aaannddd.... Purchased!  

Seriously thinking about running a "Gangs of Rome" kind of campaign.  Rome is the quintessential ancient metropolis, so the potential for different echelons of society to mix is quite great.

Can anyone else think of a basic storyline and/or plot arc for a Roman campaign?

The book contains at least a hundred plot ideas; creating a campaign with a common theme won't be difficult.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShawnLStroud said:

• Ancient Urban Fantasy v.1:  Modern Urban Fantasy (with the supernatural in hiding) re-skinned to ancient Rome.
  • Ancient Urban Fantasy v.2:  Modern Urban Fantasy (with overt/open supernatural, accepted as part of society) re-skinned to ancient Rome.
  • Noble Savages:  Political machinations by day, bloody daggers by night.  Poison happens 24/7/365 ...
  • Merchant House:  everyone has some association (family-member (even heir!), employee, guard, etc) with one large Merchant House
  • The Temple:  everyone has some association (priest, acolyte, servant, guard, etc) with one large temple.

Give me a little time & some research, and I could come up with a REAL list...

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

We were thinking of picking / creating an extended family / clan (patrician or plebeian) and then making some characters for it to play key roles (or at least interesting ones). The intention would be to start with the birth of Rome, and track the exploits of this family throughout Rome's history. Kinda meta-character, if you will?

We want stay pretty firmly with historical Rome, and leave any fantasy elements out. Although of course the people did believe in all sorts of magic and gods, so maybe we will allow some low-level stuff just for spice & authenticity?

17 hours ago, groovyclam said:

Do Mongoose own the rights to Pete's "Vikings" work exclusively as it would be nice to get a Mythras hardback of it sometime in the future ?

Yes they do, but they've actually made 'Vikings of Legend' OGL, which means that, if we were of a mind, we could easily do our own version of it. Thing is though, we know from experience that such things aren't as easy as they sound, and a Mythic Norse (or whatever) book would still be a reasonably big undertaking. Mythic Rome actually required a lot of effort: new art, new editing, new layout, new proofing. For now, we want to firmly focus on new, original material. We have a very full pipeline - for me, Pete (he's juggling about 4 projects at the moment), Rod, and for a whole bunch of new and established authors who are writing for us. So while we'll never say never to a Mythic Norse book, it's not on our priority list.

But we do have Mythic Britain: Logres in layout (and looking ace), Mythic Constantinople's manuscript nearing completion (and looking equally ace), and Mythics Greece and Mesopotamia in production (and will no doubt be ace)... More than enough Mythic stuff to be getting on with. :)

Imagine a lovely Mythras slipcased set of the 3 Nash historical works ( once he gets Greece done - the lazy git )

You don't know the half of it.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased the book from Aeon, and I am now browsing the PDF until it arrives. I am very impressed by all the information crammed in this one, great work!

Interestingly, the book concentrates on periods before Imperial Rome. We intended to start with republican era, but this gives us the option to start even earlier... nice.

I guess a companion sourcebook for Imperial Rome would be great, but giventhe wealth of historical material for that era, it's no problem to extend your campaign even later?

Edited by Verderer
  • Like 1

The original version of ROME was quite impressive so I'm not surprised that this is just as good. Probably the most authentic vision of Rome ever to grace the pages of a RPG book.

Question for Loz & Pete: The Mythic Greece book - is it The Mycenaean Age, The Hellenic Age, or some mythical in between era ie 'The Age of Heroes'? 

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Mankcam said:

... Probably the most authentic vision of Rome ever to grace the pages of a RPG book ...

Really?  That's an impressive claim!

The "historical setting" GURPS books are usually held up as the "gold standard" of historical authenticity.

Kudos to DesignMechanism!

C'es ne pas un .sig