Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

On 8/28/2019 at 7:45 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:

I'm sure that table appreciated it. ;)

It did.

On 8/28/2019 at 7:45 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:

But congrats, I guess you're in the home stretch now? :D

My text and layout are now complete, barring fixing typos and contradictions. Only one chapter has any significant white space, and that's the Army Lists. To 'fill it' I would require more information (some regiments unfortunately have only a paragraph or two) or draw another ten or twenty sketches, which would only be used 'thumbnail' sized to illustrate a unit entry.

Despite the rough count of sketches below, there are more than that in the book, as I don't count sketches used only as thumbnails, the sketches of horses and a chariot depicting different styles of fixtures, pictures of helmets, armor, weapons, architectural illustrations of gateways, diagrams, and maps.

mini.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 5

On 8/27/2019 at 9:10 PM, M Helsdon said:
On 8/27/2019 at 1:32 AM, Qizilbashwoman said:

waaaaaaaaaat, why?

Shortage of unicorns?

Or shortage of virgins?

3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Possibly shortage of virgins.

Bah! Beaten to the punchline.

Edited by soltakss
  • Sad 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Possibly shortage of virgins.

13 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Or shortage of virgins?

This is the best argument so far because Yelornan Unicorn Riders find their own mounts...

Initiates (also Shield Maidens) don't have to be celibate, they just can't marry.

But what's the point of having Yelornan cavalry if they can't train Kuschile archery?

9 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

But what's the point of having Yelornan cavalry if they can't train Kuschile archery?

They can. Kuschile is available as a Yelornan subcult, the same as for Yelmalio.

9 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

This is the best argument so far because Yelornan Unicorn Riders find their own mounts...

I've got a HeroQuest about that.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

7 hours ago, Jolt said:

I don't post very often but I've really enjoyed this thread.  I look forward to seeing the finished book.

Thank you.

I may continue doing sketches, but I don't know whether they will get in or not.

Whilst the book can probably be read from back to front, it is in many ways a reference book, with detail people may or may not find useful. 

Have spent some of today looking for typos (finding some) and adding snippets to regiment entries.

YGWV.

9 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

(Sources I have say that is limited to the Praxian Sun Country, though. Do you know differently?)

Yes.

Kuschile archery is widely available to Yelmalions (though not very useful to those in Prax where they don't raise horse cavalry), and is available to Yelornans who are lay members of Yelmalio.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

TIL

(Sources I have say that is limited to the Praxian Sun Country, though. Do you know differently?)

From the Cult of Yelorna in the Cults Compendium:

A Unicorn Rider is equipped by the temple with weapons and armor appropriate to her stature and the needs of the temple: usually a lance, a missile weapon, and possibly a shield or Shortsword. She may learn the following skills up to 40% for free, and at half price thereafter: Lance, one-handed Spear, Shortsword, Dart, Sling, Camouflage, and Evaluate Treasure. She may also learn Kuschile Archery. Unicorn Riders may purchase the spells of Firearrow, Lightwall and Shimmer at half price.

4 minutes ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

we're discussing specifically why Saird has Yelornan non-Unicorn Riders as cavalry. because it makes everyone's head hurt.

Yelorna has been tied to horse-riding women before, like the Galaninae queens of Safelster (who may have aided the Second Council against the Horse Warlords).

(I wonder what role the Berennethtelli and Orgorvaltes played in those conflicts. Not horsemen enough? Or just too few horsemen?)

But if Elmal is Yelmalio, then why not have Redalda as Yelorna? There is little in Yelorna's mythos and history that is specific to unicorns.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

5 hours ago, Qizilbashwoman said:

we're discussing specifically why Saird has Yelornan non-Unicorn Riders as cavalry. because it makes everyone's head hurt.

The Starkin depot is at Pillini in Doblian, far north of the ancient borders of Saird. They have a history as horse riders going back to the First Age.

56 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

The Starkin depot is at Pillini in Doblian, far north of the ancient borders of Saird. They have a history as horse riders going back to the First Age.

My bad, I thought this was Saird.

Well yes, that's Rider territory, which turned into the Jenarongs.

On 2/16/2019 at 6:21 PM, Brootse said:

M Helsdon, there are three soldiers I'd really like to see; a Thunder Delta slinger, a Silver Shield Hypastist, and a javeliner who has an amentum. Trolls too!

Afraid it has taken me a while, but here's a sketch of a peltast using an amentum/ankyle.

There's not room for this annotated version in my layout, so it may appear only as a mini in the Army List.

[As usual, this figure is a bit of a mash-up, mixing Mesopotamian and Greek arms and armor, and he's wearing Hittite boots. The shield design is based on a Pictish design, which seemed appropriate for a Yelmalion peltast.]

His helmet is Dara Happan in style, but his sword (only the lower portion of the scabbard is visible) is Orlanthi in shape. Hmm, he looks a bit more nervous than I intended.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2

Sketch reworked.

Have now found space for this by deleting an image that wasn't mine.

As the document is pretty much full, decided to take a break as feel the most recent are getting stale. May aim to do one a week. (And today, recent real world events caught up with me and I didn't have the energy to proofread my, or anyone else's text).

Now have to think on my next project.

Whilst hopefully am familiar with the arms and armor of the West (which are partially covered due to the presence of the Carmanians and Western mercenaries in central Genertela) don't have access to sufficient material to populate more than a few pages. Similarly, an Eastern expansion is unlikely, and I lack sufficient knowledge of Chinese or Japanese armies to try to make assumptions (must have several hundred books on ancient Europe, north Africa and the Near East, but only read a dozen or so on warfare in the Far East).

Thubana Peltast annotated.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 2