Swords of Central Genertela

M Helsdon

1 minute ago, soltakss said:

Is it? I thought that it was a crystal road that she made as she marched along it.

The Guide says: Deeming that no ordinary path was of enough quality for the caravan of the Moon’s granddaughter, this young princess assembled engineers and builders to make a proper path for her to travel upon. This road still exists today, called simply the Daughter’s Road. Paved over with crushed stone, it is twelve wagons wide

I believe you are thinking of the Crystal Bridge?

2 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

I believe you are thinking of the Crystal Bridge?

It is only the bridge over the Black Eel that is crystal.  The rest of the Daughter's Roads are two-tiered roads.  They are stacked so that not all the lower level is traversable as it has the supports for the upper, magical road (and that too has supports for the very top of the road - personally I think there is an aqueduct along the top, symbolic of her conquest of the rivers).

Edited by jajagappa

5 hours ago, jajagappa said:

It is only the bridge over the Black Eel that is crystal.  The rest of the Daughter's Roads are two-tiered roads.  They are stacked so that not all the lower level is traversable as it has the supports for the upper, magical road (and that too has supports for the very top of the road - personally I think there is an aqueduct along the top, symbolic of her conquest of the rivers).

The aqueduct may be within the upper tier? This would make the upper pathway a cover for the water channel. Some Roman aqueducts were apparently covered, at least for part of their flow.

9 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

We are in negotiations. The rough outline is magnificent.

A request/suggestion:  can it be a piece that doesn't, up-front, look like he wears "real" armor while she wears "lingerie" armor?

I've been Glorantha'ing for a while now, so I *do* get it that there can be good in-world reasons why different cults &c would do these things, and it might not BE as sexist as it looks.

But straight-up, man... it looks awfully sexist...

C'es ne pas un .sig

9 minutes ago, g33k said:

But straight-up, man... it looks awfully sexist...

Only one person is wearing armor in the Men of the West picture. The Queen is wearing an expensive costume that displays the tradition of the Solar Safelstrans, especially the eastern Galanin: lots of gold. The intent was to show that not all Solar cultures are as austere and puritanical as the Dara Happans. Perhaps that failed.

2 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Only one person is wearing armor in the Men of the West picture. The Queen is wearing an expensive costume that displays the tradition of the Solar Safelstrans, especially the eastern Galanin: lots of gold. The intent was to show that not all Solar cultures are as austere and puritanical as the Dara Happans. Perhaps that failed.

I'm sorry my first post in the forum is about this topic. But I do agree with @g33k, when I saw the picture it didn't ring any Gloranthan bell, what I saw was a generic fantasy cover of an armored male warrior next to a female model in bikini and high heels.

The drawing is terrific, though. And kudos to you @M Helsdon for your work on this. :)

1 hour ago, M Helsdon said:

I have put together an Art Pack for Jonstown Compendium authors and GMs and players.

This is an experiment.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/331406/Art-Pack-1--Orlanthi?src=newest_community?affiliate_id=2310005

So a buyer will be able (have the license) to use this art in publications on the Jonstown Compendium, on websites, or in fanzines, citing this product as a source?

Telling how it is excessive verbis

20 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Only in a Jonstown Compedium title.

Would you be alright with the use of your drawings for in-home, player handout/player aid materials (i.e. non-published) or is it absolutely, strictly Jonstown Compendium titles? Not trying to push boundaries; I'm honestly wondering since I'm putting together an intro to Glorantha and Dragon Pass document for some players who have no prior exposure to the setting.

17 minutes ago, Beoferret said:

Would you be alright with the use of your drawings for in-home, player handout/player aid materials (i.e. non-published) or is it absolutely, strictly Jonstown Compendium titles? Not trying to push boundaries; I'm honestly wondering since I'm putting together an intro to Glorantha and Dragon Pass document for some players who have no prior exposure to the setting.

My intent is that the art can be used in Jonstown Compendium titles (with a credit), and by GMs and Players solely for their own use, such as character sheets and handouts, but not for wider publication.

There's been discussion about creating such resources for JC authors in a forum for the last few days so I decided to create something, get it out there, and see what bugs crawl out.

The lessons learned so far are:

• Clearer usage and licensing.
  • Include a zipped file.

A zipped file has been included and tomorrow I will add a clearer description of allowed usage. The art must not be altered without permission (the labels can be removed) and cannot be used on websites or anywhere else without my express permission. Andrew Taylor has requested and had created colored versions of some of the sketches, with permission.

I may create a Lunar Art Pack.

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Mameluco said:

But I do agree with @g33k, when I saw the picture it didn't ring any Gloranthan bell, what I saw was a generic fantasy cover of an armored male warrior next to a female model in bikini and high heels.

Not a problem. However, this picture isn't set in Dragon Pass, but in eastern Safelster in Ralios where the culture is very different.

The 'warrior' is Meime, Tournament King of Kustria, wearing his very expensive dwarven-made iron armor, complete with the helmet, described in the Guide (and based on a tournament helmet of Henry VIII), and his wife, Ingye, Queen of Galin. The Safelstran cities, even the Solar ones, tend to have a far more hedonistic culture than you'd find in Dragon Pass or Peloria (except for Glamour).

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

A zipped file has been included and tomorrow I will add a clearer description of allowed usage. 

Many thanks.

I am now planning on where/how to use the images and will send you a copy when I have finished it.

37 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

I may create a Lunar Art Pack.

Excellent, thanks again.

I will buy and use any art packs for Jonstown Compendium. I might not use all of the art from every pack, but will definitely use some of it.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, M Helsdon said:

There's been discussion about creating such resources for JC authors in a forum for the last few days so I decided to create something, get it out there, and see what bugs crawl out.

TYVM!

I hope this gets a LOT of attention & buy-in (aka "sales").

C'es ne pas un .sig

Because of questions raised on various fora, the following has been added to clarify usage:

Permission is granted to purchasers to use these illustrations in Jonstown Compendium publications (with a credit to the artist), and to GMs and players solely for their own use in handouts and character sheets, but not for wider publication. The labels can be removed but no other changes can be made for publication without permission.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, M Helsdon said:

Because of questions raised on various fora, the following has been added to clarify usage:

Permission is granted to purchasers to use these illustrations in Jonstown Compendium publications (with a credit to the artist), and to GMs and players solely for their own use in handouts and character sheets, but not for wider publication. The labels can be removed but no other changes can be made for publication without permission.

Thank you for putting this together! 

Third and final Art Pack for now.

Permission is granted to purchasers to use these illustrations in Jonstown Compendium publications (with a credit to the artist), and to GMs and players solely for their own use in handouts and character sheets, but not for wider publication. The labels can be removed, and the images reduced in size, but no other changes can be made for publication without permission.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/331719/Art-Pack-3-Hsunchen-Nomads-and-Beasts?src=newest_community?affiliate_id=2310005

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The Art Packs have paid about a quarter of the cost of the new cover for Armies & Enemies.

Am starting to gather together material to give the regional military history of Peloria in much the same style as for Seshnela, Fronela, and Ralios in Men of the West. I have a number of sources that weren't used in Armies & Enemies because the page count was becoming excessive. 

And, today, I can mention that Armies and Enemies won the 2019 Greg Stafford Memorial Award for Gloranthan Fandom for which I am very honored and grateful. The award has been sitting on a shelf with my Glorantha collection for a while.

https://www.chaosium.com/bloggreg-stafford-memorial-award-for-gloranthan-fandom-presented-for-2019-and-2020/

I am in the process of moving so my shelves are not very tidy, but here is the award sitting with some of my books.

award shelves.png

Edited by M Helsdon
  • Like 9