Pretty sneaky, guys

tobarstep

3 hours ago, Opiyel said:

I'd love to eventually see a Mythic America. Especially would love to see stuff about the Incans personally. Though Constantinople sounds pretty fun. Love playing as them in Crusader Kings 2.

I too would love some Mythic America(s)!

But I fear it's... kinda fraught.  Lots of modern folk hold themselves as part of (or descended from) those cultures, and the accuastion of "colonialism," mocking/ denigrating/ trivializing/ etc (and above all, profiting from) the Amerind cultures risks quite a bit of backlash...  

Mabe if a gamer-geek with some tribal identity were a major part of the project, it could sidestep the issue?  I dunno <shrug>.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, tobarstep said:

I'd like to see something Slavic - Mythic Russia or something along those lines. Aaaaand.... I just looked up Mythic Russia and apparently it's already been done for HeroQuest.

There are actually several good treatments of medieval Rus.  I heartily recommend Ars Magica 4e's "The Dragon and the Bear".

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

There are actually several good treatments of medieval Rus.  I heartily recommend Ars Magica 4e's "The Dragon and the Bear".

I'll have to look that up, maybe combine it with some source books from other systems. The Ultima Forsan setting for Savage Worlds has one as well called Macabre Ruthenia. The one for HeroQuest looks nice as well.

13 hours ago, g33k said:

But I fear it's... kinda fraught.  Lots of modern folk hold themselves as part of (or descended from) those cultures, and the accuastion of "colonialism," mocking/ denigrating/ trivializing/ etc (and above all, profiting from) the Amerind cultures risks quite a bit of backlash...  

Mabe if a gamer-geek with some tribal identity were a major part of the project, it could sidestep the issue?  I dunno <shrug>.

You can get over that hurdle just by making a Mythic Stone Age. I'd like to make a Mythic Mesolithic as I'd love to play in the Kongemose or Ertebolle cultures.

14 hours ago, g33k said:

I guess. I don't mind personally, and I am Puerto Rican. Having read Mythic Britain, I think they could do it justice.

11 minutes ago, Opiyel said:

I guess. I don't mind personally, and I am Puerto Rican. Having read Mythic Britain, I think they could do it justice.

The Taino of Puerto Rico were extinguished, as a culture.  There's some DNA continuity, but nobody alive "is" Taino in a cultural sense, or speaks any dialect of the language (although related Arawak/Maipurean languages still exist in South America).

Many living people, in contrast, identify as (and speak fluently) Mayan dialects (or Navajo, or Cree, etc etc etc).  Their cultures & traditions endure, and people (sometime fiercely) protect them.

===

I have NO doubts that DesignMechanism (or Chaosium, or other game companies) could do justice to a "Mythic America" product (or even a product-line).

I just fear such a project would be... fraught.

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 16/08/2017 at 3:36 PM, g33k said:

The Taino of Puerto Rico were extinguished, as a culture.  There's some DNA continuity, but nobody alive "is" Taino in a cultural sense, or speaks any dialect of the language (although related Arawak/Maipurean languages still exist in South America).

Many living people, in contrast, identify as (and speak fluently) Mayan dialects (or Navajo, or Cree, etc etc etc).  Their cultures & traditions endure, and people (sometime fiercely) protect them.

===

I have NO doubts that DesignMechanism (or Chaosium, or other game companies) could do justice to a "Mythic America" product (or even a product-line).

I just fear such a project would be... fraught.

People get too caught up in such things. As long as it's dealt with in the same tone and respect as Loz & Petes other work they should just chill and enjoy.

Edited by HorusArisen
  • Like 1

“Fe Godwn ni eto”

”Yma o hyd”

”Cymru rydd”

Guest Vile Traveller

As someone who identifies as Welsh (amongst others) I would like to say that I have no problem with Mythic Britain in spite of English imperialism. I'm sure the Americans will be fine.  Once TDM get around to them. ;) 

45 minutes ago, Vile said:

As someone who identifies as Welsh (amongst others) I would like to say that I have no problem with Mythic Britain in spite of English imperialism. I'm sure the Americans will be fine.  Once TDM get around to them. ;) 

Cymru am byth :D

“Fe Godwn ni eto”

”Yma o hyd”

”Cymru rydd”

5 hours ago, HorusArisen said:

People get too caught up in such things. As long as it's dealt with in the same tone and respect as Loz & Petes other work they should just chill and enjoy.

Agreed:  people DO get too caught up, and they SHOULD just chill and enjoy.

Please note the discrepancy between the "should" and the "do" ...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig