1652 Great Flood

David Scott

10 minutes ago, Nevermet said:

As I look at the map that got posted a while ago... it looks like Maniria somehow isn't flooded?  If that's the case, I'm guessing some big Heler goings on, combined with some cities going domed liked Erenplose.  And, of course, floating pigs.

Also... what will the Flood do to the White Sea?  Will the Sweet Sea rejoin the oceans?

I think it's implied that there is something about the nature of the flood where it specifically targets certain geographical areas, and not others. It's not simply an elevation of water levels, it's more a kind of bulging and invasion of the land by the sea that is blocked from going down Magasta's Pool. 

I don't believe it was ever answered in this thread WHY it specifically targets Kethaela and Prax. 

6 minutes ago, Nevermet said:

And.... I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this, but does anyone else find the unrelenting cycles of destruction to be depressing?  I mean, to say that does not suggest it's low quality, but.... damn.

Good news here: you can almost certainly ignore its very existence. This is pretty far into the future (a few decades, iirc) from the "present" of Glorantha, and imho is only one of several disasters that may or may not occur depending on the actions of roleplayers. Like the reforesting, the Mostali smacking Slon back in place, the Uz migration, Veldang revolution, and even the various ultimate fates of the Lunar Empire. 

But yeah, Glorantha seems to be stuck in a pseudo-cyclical destruction-revival thing. An imperfect echo of the God War emanating through Time, perhaps.

42 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Good news here: you can almost certainly ignore its very existence. This is pretty far into the future (a few decades, iirc) from the "present" of Glorantha, and imho is only one of several disasters that may or may not occur depending on the actions of roleplayers. Like the reforesting, the Mostali smacking Slon back in place, the Uz migration, Veldang revolution, and even the various ultimate fates of the Lunar Empire. 

Or, rather, very much acknowledge its existence in the sense of "it's one of the tools in my big box of long term campaign planning". The fact that we have many possible upcoming disasters is actually great: the GM can pick the one(s) that better suit the themes, locations, and characters of their campaign, and build their big epic campaign around them.

Actually, I would looooove to see Chaosium (or the Jonstown Compendium) release a book of "possible futures" for Glorantha, where each of these calamities is explored in a hypothetical way, with timelines, important NPCs and events, scenario seeds, etc... for those of you who have taken a look at the excellent FATE of Cthulhu and its different possible timelines of Mythos apocalypses, you can probably see what I mean.

• Like 5

Ludovic aka Lordabdul -- read and listen to  The God Learners , the Gloranthan podcast, newsletter, & blog !

13 minutes ago, lordabdul said:

Or, rather, very much acknowledge its existence in the sense of "it's one of the tools in my big box of long term campaign planning". The fact that we have many possible upcoming disasters is actually great: the GM can pick the one(s) that better suit the themes, locations, and characters of their campaign, and build their big epic campaign around them.

Actually, I would looooove to see Chaosium (or the Jonstown Compendium) release a book of "possible futures" for Glorantha, where each of these calamities is explored in a hypothetical way, with timelines, important NPCs and events, scenario seeds, etc... for those of you who have taken a look at the excellent FATE of Cthulhu and its different possible timelines of Mythos apocalypses, you can probably see what I mean.

To clarify: the "if you don't like it" after the "ignore its existence" was heavily implied.

The Guide already teases the Hero Wars disasters, but some Compendium stuff going indepth would be really cool, and probably hugely interesting for GMs with long-term plans. :D

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

To clarify: the "if you don't like it" after the "ignore its existence" was heavily implied.

The Guide already teases the Hero Wars disasters, but some Compendium stuff going indepth would be really cool, and probably hugely interesting for GMs with long-term plans. :D

I have had dreams of doing exactly that, and then I remember I have no clue how to write gaming stuff. 😅😶

5 hours ago, Nevermet said:

And.... I'm kind of embarrassed to ask this, but does anyone else find the unrelenting cycles of destruction to be depressing?  I mean, to say that does not suggest it's low quality, but.... damn.

It is both a feature of Glorantha (the end of each age has been a terrible cataclysm - Dragonkill War, the Closing, the  Shattering of Seshnela, - not to mention the horrible 75 year bloodbath that was the Gbaji Wars) and of many real world religions. For example, "It is said that towards the end of the Kali yuga, Kalki will return riding on a white horse to battle with Kali and his dark forces. The world will suffer a fiery cataclysm that will destroy all evil, and Shiva will destroy the universe. Brahma will create the universe anew, and then a new age (the next Satya Yuga of the following Mahayuga), will begin."

• Like 5

8 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Since my campaign started in 1615 rather than 1625, in a sense Chaosium have already done this for me. :)

• Like 2

• 3 years later...
On 7/24/2018 at 10:23 PM, Pentallion said:

Since Greg's map says Oslir is untouched, I guess that means there HAS to be some pretty bad stuff happen to the Lunars to allow the Orlanthi to have a fighting chance.

They get hit pretty good by Argrath’s climate change policy.

Also, I get the impression that Argrath pulls an Arkat, moving his power base once the old ones get expended (north in this case - see his courting of the Queen of Holay).

That's right: he leaves scorched earth and chaos wastelands in his wake as he is drawn north to meet his destiny. (Just kidding: it's not as if the Storm Bull cult in Prax was really keeping Wakboth pinned down under the Block, is it?)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

That's right: he leaves scorched earth and chaos wastelands in his wake as he is drawn north to meet his destiny. (Just kidding: it's not as if the Storm Bull cult in Prax was really keeping Wakboth pinned down under the Block, is it?)

Following the flood, there's clearly need for merfolk guardians of the Block instead. 🙂