New Releases for Christmas 2017

lawrence.whitaker

Merry Christmas, one and all!

The latest in the Mythic Earth series for Mythras is now available. Mythic Constantinople transports you to 1450, where the shining city of Constantine dominates Europe, still at the height of its power. But forces within and without threaten this greatest of all cities: the Christian Orthodoxy vies with Catholicism, and the Ottoman Empire begins its preparations for conquest. Within the city's streets, political factions struggle for power while criminal gangs and mercantile guilds battle for the true wealth of Christendom. Elsewhere Pagan cults skulk in the shadows, waiting for their own moment. 

Mythic Constantinople is a complete sourcebook for a Constantinople that never quite was. Meticulously researched and presented, it merges historical fact with myth and legend. Among the real personalities that shaped history are the non-human species such as the Astomatoi, Blemmyai, Skiapodes, Minotauroi and the Immortals. Magic is real, and so too are the threats to Byzantium. With this supplement the characters can be part of history and shape it, creating adventurers from dozens of cultures with hundreds of reasons for being in the greatest city in the world. 

And as well as the sourcebook, we have an adventure set in Constantinople: Life's Long Consequences sees the characters on the trail of the elusive Kales Pegonites, the man everyone seems to be looking for and wants – either dead or alive. Why is he so important? Who wants to kill? Who wants to keep him alive? 

Or for DrivethruRPG... 

Finally, we also present the Mythic Constantinople Map Pack, featuring large size versions of the City maps, European Empires and the Great Palace. 

Come and join us in the streets of Mythic Constantinople – you may never want to leave. 

But this isn't the only release before Christmas! Classic Fantasy module G2 is also released this month. Strange things are afoot in the Blue River Valley... Disappearances, Smugglers, rumours of ghosts, Goblin raiders led by an ambitious and ferocious young leader. The villagers need help. Help only you can provide... 

This introductory adventure for Classic Fantasy is designed for three to four characters covering the standard class range. This module provides many hours of adventure and is complete with maps, NPCs, and a sheet of paper figures for use in encounters. 

• Like 6

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

3 hours ago, clarence said:

Hmm, I wonder if Mythic Constantinople can be easily repurposed as a 'Valerian & Laureline' type of sci-fi-fantasy city? 

@dragoner what do you think?

Yes, I would think so, very easily. Reading Mythic Constantinople for the first time, what pops into my head automatically is the old Thieves' World boxed set that I loved back in the day. For my campaign setting, it will also work for a "Steampunk Byzantium" I have going on one planet.

Something with a feeling like this John Harris painting:

The_Art_of_John_Harris_-_FINAL_INTERIORS

Edited by dragoner
added picture
  • Like 3

That painting captures the feeling I was looking for. It didn't show up much in the Valerian movie, but the comics are full of fantasy-tech worlds - very far from Tolkien. 

Steampunk Byzantium sounds terrific! I will see if I can make room for a sci-fi Constantinople in my own games. 

• Like 2

1683589267_frostbyteloggaFsvarttiny2.jpg.22ebd7480630737e74be9c2c9ed8039f.jpg   FrostByte Books

M–SPACE   d100 Roleplaying in the Far Future

Odd Soot  Science Fiction Mystery in the 1920s

Yeah you could easily repurpose Constantinople for any big sprawling fantasy city that is a crossroads of cultural mixes.

Great book, another valuable book to add to the Mythras library!

• Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

2 hours ago, clarence said:

That painting captures the feeling I was looking for. It didn't show up much in the Valerian movie, but the comics are full of fantasy-tech worlds - very far from Tolkien. 

Steampunk Byzantium sounds terrific! I will see if I can make room for a sci-fi Constantinople in my own games. 

Harris is the master of those big sweeping space landscapes. The Mythic Constantinople book is really great in that it has random generation for city nodes, which is perfect for what I want to do, and great for any sci-fi, as well as for being Constantinople circa 1450. A very nice "exotic" feel too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Verderer said:

You who have read/skimmed MC, how easy would it be to use it for earlier time periods, say around 4th Crusade?

I don’t know enough about that time period to say. I’m guessing most of the names of people and places would change. I’m guessing the organizational structures would change. If you are willing to accept the place names are not accurate, and then rejigger the people, it should work. It’s a setting book, and unless you have historians of the period at the table, it’ll probably be fine. Guns can be removed. Magic can be removed. Character rules are going to stay the same, though the skill lists might be a little off. Less Turks and Arabs. 

6 hours ago, Verderer said:

You who have read/skimmed MC, how easy would it be to use it for earlier time periods, say around 4th Crusade?

It's doable, MC lays a solid foundation for understanding Constantinople in general. The 4th Crusade is really what destroys Byzantium, more so than the Turkish conquest, it paves the way for the Turkish conquest. One good thing about representing that period is that it wasn't a time of rapid change.

On 12/20/2017 at 9:02 PM, Verderer said:

I've only skimmed it so far, but it does detail the pretty seismic impact of the 4th Crusade on Constantinople in the book and, considering the timeline is only a matter of a couple of centuries or so, it's probably adaptable without any major fuss.