Yanafal Tarnils

Richard S.

The upcoming Yanafal Tarnils write up says:

LUNAR WEAPONS

When Yanafal Tarnils fought Humakt, the Death God cursed Yanafal Tarnils and the Lunar war god could no longer use Humakt’s Sword. To defeat his master’s curse, Yanafal Tarnils bent his sword into a sickle-shape. This was in turn adopted by the followers of the Red Goddess. Lunar soldiers have a strong preference for sickle-shaped swords such as the kopis, the sickle, the rhomphaia, and the sickle-sword. As a result, these weapons are now popularly called the “ Lunar Weapons .”

• Like 2

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

The upcoming Yanafal Tarnils write up says:

kopis isn't really uh a sickle but "look ma I made an ax out of my sword", but I approve nonetheless

the kopis was a brutal butcher's weapon, must have been just hideous against armour

Edited by Qizilbashwoman

This does raise questions about why Pentans(?) use curved swords despite having nothing to do with the Lunars, but I guess it's impossible to explain everything.

EDIT: On a related note, are Lunar khopeshes still canon, or outdated representations replaced by the kopis-style swords? It seems like a damn waste to ignore this beautiful piece of bronze age weaponry.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

This does raise questions about why Pentans(?) use curved swords despite having nothing to do with the Lunars, but I guess it's impossible to explain everything.

EDIT: On a related note, are Lunar khopeshes still canon, or outdated representations replaced by the kopis-style swords? It seems like a damn waste to ignore this beautiful piece of bronze age weaponry.

They may buy them from the Lunars, given the caravan and other traders wanting the rare and exotic Pentan products and slaves. 

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Probably because associating curved swords with the Red Goddess is a cunning bit of Lunar propaganda. 

We know the kopis was introduced to Peloria by the Pentans (RQ:G pg. 210,) but I'm unsure if that was during the Jenarong Dynasty, Sheng Seleris, or just through trade. 

As for khopeshes, I believe those would count as sickle-swords/moonswords (ibid.)

• Like 1

On 12/17/2019 at 4:15 PM, Sir_Godspeed said:
On 12/17/2019 at 3:52 PM, Eff said:

A backronymic/folk etymology micromyth: Yanafali use curved blades because when Humakt tried to slay his apostate follower, his sword bent.

While that sounds cool, I'm going to assume it's the same "it's crescent so moon lol" logic we see with the Sables and who knows what else.

Or, they are both true.

Yanafal Tarnils defied his master and so his sword was bent to show his shame. Fortunately, he follows the Lunar way and wears his curved sword with pride.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

5 hours ago, soltakss said:

Or, they are both true.

Yanafal Tarnils defied his master and so his sword was bent to show his shame. Fortunately, he follows the Lunar way and wears his curved sword with pride.

Also it turns out the kopis is absolutely hideous in combat, and doubly so when you're fighting underarmored barbarians or Chaos/nonhumans with a blade forged from iron, so there's a third strong point in your favor