RQG Corrections Thread

MOB

p.139, bottom right corner: the Lunar Phases (runes and art) appear backwards compared to the version in "Dragon Pass." I've been banging on about this for decades. Easy to fix: flip the art and the runes so they're the right way around. Evidence: http://etyries.albionsoft.com/etyries.com/moonie/moonturn.html  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Very minor layout issue:

• pp. 432–437 passim: In all the tables in the Conversion Guide appendix, the em-dash cell entries are not indented, while all other text cell entries are. This results in a ragged appearance; it would look better if the em-dashes were indented to match the other text.
Edited by trystero

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Page 61: Missile Weapons list includes "Dagger, Throwing" and "Throwing Dagger", and "Axe, Throwing" and "Throwing Axe".

Character sheet: There is no mention of crossbows on the character sheet, though they are listed in the skills on page 61.

The character sheet and page 61 use different categories for First, Grapple, and Kick.

Page 95: Both table headings have "Solara" rather than "Sorala".

• Like 1

Page 316

As Sorala has a maximum Rune point pool of 3, all her
Rune points are replenished and any Rune points above 3 are lost.

No Rune points are actually lost, they are just ignored. Perhaps:

As Sorala has a maximum Rune point pool of 3, all her
Rune points are replenished and the rest is ignored.

Page 70: Further clarity on what an adventurer who has the Priest occupation but does not meet the requirements actually gets would be good. The text mentions skills and equipment; what is the ransom, standard of living, and base income? Does the adventurer get to choose the Favored Passion?

Page 391

Runes and Techniques Used: The presence of the magic
Rune (R) indicates that this spell can be used with any
Rune. A sorcerer must have an affinity with the Rune or
Runes used in the spell, or insight into the opposite. Similarly,
the technique or its opposing technique is also required.

Perhaps "a related technique" rather than opposing, as there are other relationships e.g. Command and Tap grant this, and all techniques confer access to those two.

Also "magic Rune" should be capitalized.

Edited by PhilHibbs

On p. 199, the wording in the Attack & Parry Results table entries is inconsistent (e.g., the attacker "does" damage in some entries, "rolls" or "causes" it in others), which I think will lead to confusion. I've attached an Excel spreadsheet with my suggested revisions, which attempt to keep the wordings of the entries as consistent as possible.

More importantly, the table doesn't always agree with the text on pp. 197–8 and 200. For instance, the "Parrying a Critical Hit" section on p. 200 says that a weapon or shield parrying a critical hit suffers double normal damage (i.e., 2 HP if its current HP are exceeded) unless it's a weapon parrying an impaling or long-hafted weapon (in which case it suffers no damage), but the Critical Attack vs. Normal Parry table entry just says, "Defender's parrying weapon HP reduced by the damage rolled", with no mention of any of this. I've followed the p. 200 rule in my suggested revision.

Similarly, the Summary of Combat Results sidebar on p. 200 says that a critical success on an attack roll "ignores armor and does maximum special damage plus damage bonus", but the Critical Attack vs. Special Parry and Critical Attack vs. Normal Parry table entries both say that the attacker rolls special damage, rather than inflicting maximum special damage. No damage-reducing effect is described in the text for special or normal parries against critical hits, so I've again followed the p. 200 rule in my suggested revisions.

As these examples make clear, it would be helpful to specify whether the text or the table takes precedence in the event of a contradiction.

I realise that it's hard to summarise a 25-entry table in the text, but the attack/parry results need to be clear and consistent. (MRQ suffered from exactly this problem in its first edition, and I don't want to see RQ:G have the same issue.)

Here are my suggested revisions in text format, just in case the spreadsheet isn't helpful:

• Critical Attack vs. Critical Parry: Attacker rolls normal damage. Defender’s parrying weapon blocks damage equal to its current HP, loses 1 HP if damage exceeds its current HP. Defender suffers unblocked damage to random hit location.
  • Critical Attack vs. Special Parry: Attacker rolls maximum special damage. Defender’s parrying weapon blocks damage equal to its current HP, loses 1 HP if damage exceeds its current HP. Defender suffers unblocked damage to adjacent hit location (usually arm), with no armor protection.
  • Critical Attack vs. Normal Parry: Attacker rolls maximum special damage. Defender’s parrying weapon blocks damage equal to its current HP, loses 2 HP if damage exceeds its current HP (0 HP if parrying impaling or long-hafted weapon with a weapon). Defender suffers unblocked damage to adjacent hit location (usually arm), with no armor protection.
  • Critical Attack vs. Failed Parry: Attacker rolls maximum special damage. Defender suffers damage to random hit location, with no armor protection.
  • Critical Attack vs. Fumbled Parry: Attacker rolls maximum special damage. Defender suffers damage to random hit location, with no armor protection, and rolls on Fumbles table.
  • Special Attack vs. Critical Parry: Attack parried or deflected. Defender rolls parrying weapon’s normal damage. Attacking weapon loses 1 HP if damage exceeds its current HP.
  • Special Attack vs. Special Parry: Attacker rolls normal damage. Defender’s parrying weapon blocks damage equal to its current HP, loses 1 HP if damage exceeds its current HP. Defender suffers unblocked damage to random hit location.
  • Special Attack vs. Normal Parry: Attacker rolls special damage. Defender’s parrying weapon blocks damage equal to its current HP, loses 1 HP per point of excess damage. Defender suffers unblocked damage to adjacent hit location (usually arm).
  • Special Attack vs. Failed Parry: Attacker rolls special damage. Defender suffers damage to random hit location.
  • Special Attack vs. Fumbled Parry: Attacker rolls special damage. Defender suffers damage to random hit location and rolls on Fumbles table.
  • Normal Attack vs. Critical Parry: Attack parried or deflected. Defender rolls parrying weapon’s special damage. Attacking weapon loses 1 HP per point of damage in excess of its current HP.
  • Normal Attack vs. Special Parry: Attack parried or deflected. Defender rolls parrying weapon’s normal damage. Attacking weapon loses 1 HP if damage exceeds its current HP.
  • Normal Attack vs. Normal Parry: Attacker rolls normal damage. Defender’s parrying weapon blocks damage equal to its current HP, loses 1 HP if damage exceeds its current HP. Defender suffers unblocked damage to random hit location.
  • Normal Attack vs. Failed Parry: Attacker rolls normal damage. Defender suffers damage to random hit location.
  • Normal Attack vs. Fumbled Parry: Attacker rolls normal damage. Defender suffers damage to random hit location and rolls on Fumbles table.
  • Failed Attack vs. Critical Parry: Attack parried or deflected. Defender rolls parrying weapon’s special damage. Attacking weapon loses 1 HP per point of damage.
  • Failed Attack vs. Special Parry: Attack parried or deflected. Defender rolls parrying weapon’s special damage. Attacking weapon loses 1 HP per point of damage in excess of its current HP.
  • Failed Attack vs. Normal Parry: Attack parried or deflected. Defender rolls parrying weapon’s normal damage. Attacking weapon loses 1 HP if damage exceeds its current HP.
  • Failed Attack vs. Failed Parry: Attacker misses. Defender misses.
  • Failed Attack vs. Fumbled Parry: Attacker rolls normal damage. Defender suffers damage to random hit location and rolls on Fumbles table.
  • Fumbled Attack vs. Critical Parry: Attacker rolls on Fumbles table. Defender rolls parrying weapon’s special damage. Attacking weapon loses 1 HP per point of damage.
  • Fumbled Attack vs. Special Parry: Attacker rolls on Fumbles table. Defender rolls parrying weapon’s special damage. Attacking weapon loses 1 HP per point of damage in excess of its current HP.
  • Fumbled Attack vs. Normal Parry: Attacker rolls on Fumbles table. Defender rolls parrying weapon’s normal damage. Attacking weapon loses 1 HP if damage exceeds its current HP.
  • Fumbled Attack vs. Failed Parry: Attacker rolls on Fumbles table. Defender misses.
  • Fumbled Attack vs. Fumbled Parry: Attacker rolls on Fumbles table. Defender rolls on Fumbles table.

Attack & Parry Results, revised.xlsx

Edited by trystero
Corrected spreadsheet, added text version of suggested revisions
  • Like 1

— 
Self-discipline isnt everything; look at Pol Pot.”
—Helen Fielding, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason

Not really a correction, but there's a CHA limit on the number of Rune Points with a single cult that one can have (RQG p313), which was surprising to me.  I won't say its an error because I don't know if the Gamemaster Book will have any say on the matter (ie Hero rules).

Page 398

Reveal Rune
2 Points
Ranged, Active, Temporal
Identifies the strongest Rune of the target and its
approximate value (within a range of 20%, so an Air Rune
of 75% would be identified as being between 65% and
85%).

So if the GM says "It's between 50% and 70%", then I know it's exactly 60%. Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Ok.

I've had time to read over the document twice now. The following is taken from the notes I made durring my 2nd read.

Note. I've played RQ since the original 2nd ed so sometimes I may be assuming things happen a particular way because of my previous exp. Possibly correctly. Possibly incorrectly. Some of these notes refer to ambiguities where I, and anyone who has played RQ previously, know what was probably meant. But new players might not.

Formatting. Sample characters have some inconsistent bolding issues with POW characteristic.  Cousin Monkey pg 91,  Vostor pg 92, Sorala pg 94.

Question. Character creation Step 6 - Cult. pg 73. There doesn't seem to be any option for pure non-cult magic options. Is it correct that all the magic traditions come from a cult group? Even Shamanistic and Sorcery? Is that correct? Going to be expanded on later?

Ambiguous. HP loss due to bleeding pg 148. It's not obvious that hit point loss due to bleeding is applied to general HP or location HP.

Ambiguous. Characteristic loss due to disease pg 154-155. There's no mention as to whether characteristic loss is permenant (I assume so) or how to get points back - not till you read the rune magic chapter at least.

General comment. Some description of what the various images used in the book were would have been nice. GREAT artwork btw.

Rules conflict. Shield use. pg 198 - Successful parry. "in most cases a hit to the shield damages the arm". pg 218 - Notes on shield use. "any damage... above what the shield can absorb... is inflicted on the hit location originally rolled"

Comment. pg 248 Spell duration - temporal. Could have mentioned the base duration of sorcery spells here. In addition to Rune and Spirit.

Formatting. Very minor quibble. Restore Heath is listed AFTER Resurrect - not in alphabetical order.

Ambiguous. Fetch POW. pg 355. end of stage 3. "The fetch adds it POW to the shamans in any POW vs POW contest" . Is this ONLY at this stage of the battle or is it perm? It's not listed as a benefit of having a Fetch on pg 356. It IS referred to on pg 360 - Magical Attack. Are there any limits to this. Can the combined POW exceed racial limits? Does the extended POW affect Spirit Combat damage on pg 368?

Comment. Heroquesting. This is referred to several times through the document - eg pg 420. But there is no examples or definitions etc. Is this going to be expanded on in a later release?

Working my way through it piece by piece and am generally very impressed. I have however noted a couple of things to query (raise a question mark over).

1. The spirit magic spell Strength (Pg265) at +8 for 2 magic points seems very out of step with Vigour (pg 267) and Co-ordination (pg 258) at on +3 each?? Also on Pg 257 the listing gives Strength & Vigor same cost of 100L and Co-ordination cost of 125L - rather odd for such disparity in effect?

Glamour (page 262) is Also +8 for 2 magic points and 100L cost.

The issue as I see it is Strength gives a certain 10% ability bonus and a step in damage bonus. Co-ordination can easily give no ability bonus just a single strike rank change. The same magic point cost and roughly similar cost to learn but very different outcomes. Vigor gives 3 general hit points and 1 per location better than Co-ordination but is it "equal" to Strength?

2. Quickstart etc had spirit magic at 25 melee rounds or 5 mins (pg 20) yet RGQ goes with the old 2 minutes  ob pg 256 (so far in my reading)??

Could these be things for a typos / errata?? I note that Strength and Glamour have "new wording" but Co-ordination and Vigour have "old" wording - virtually identical to RQ2

Edited by Furry Fella

Page 79, in step 7, says that "No skill may be raised to above 100% in this step." This seems to imply that skills may be raised above 100% in earlier steps, but on page 80 the text specifies that skills can be increased beyond 100% in later play, so perhaps that implication is incorrect. Clearly stating whether skills can be raised above 100% during character creation as a whole or not would be a good addition.

• Like 1

Page 357 At that range, the shaman can also sense Runic affinities over 50% and the adventurer can also communicate with the spirit using Spiritspeech.

Page 382 Movement: It is the oppo­-site of Stasis.  -       No need for break

It is the oppo­site of Stasis.

Page 382 Illusion: It is the oppo­-site of Truth.    -       No need for break

It is the oppo­site of Truth.

Edited by jongjom

Page 433

to the RQ:G formulae, with the following considerations

Page 434 - No need for break

on how to convert it, with the gamemaster’s approval.

Page 434

These are new to RQ:G and should be added to all converted

Page 435

described in prior editions, and RQ:G will eventually

Page 436 – three incidences

(RQ2, Kyger Litor cult spell)

4 hours ago, Nevun said:

Comment. Heroquesting. This is referred to several times through the document - eg pg 420. But there is no examples or definitions etc. Is this going to be expanded on in a later release?

Heroquesting is going to be in the GM's book.

Page 413

regularly eat mockpork)[full stop]

Page 416

must roll a 90 or higher (thanks to the skills category modifier) to improve through experience.

-       It is not “before” the modifier, otherwise the value would be 100.

Page 420 Making a POW Gain Roll

-       Clarification. Are you talking about the species maximum here or another method of calculation? For non-human species the two methods might lead to different maximum values with which to calculate the increase.

Page 420

Becoming a God-talker, Rune Master, or shaman

-     Because a God-talker is a Rune Master. But maybe better as:

Becoming a Rune Master, shaman, or sorcerer 

Page 144

... an ability
can only be used once per session to augment a task
being attempted.

Ambiguous - does this mean once per session per task, or can an ability only augment once per session?

Edited by PhilHibbs

Page 331 Hide Wealth says "each point of extension stacked with this spell doubles the duration" this would seem to conflict with the table for Extension effects on page 328 which gives an order of magnitude progression by point of extension - 1hr, 1 day, 1 week, 1 season, 1 year.

• Like 1

Page 392

Create Hallucination
The target’s POW must be
overcome by the strength of the spell for the spell to work.

Is this as well as the POW vs POW roll, or instead of, or a mistake? This also implies that the caster would need to overcome their own POW in order to affect themselves.

Also affect some Dominate spells, Logical Clarity on page 396, and Solace of the Logical Mind on page 398.

If this is a general rule that sorcery normally uses the strength of the spell instead of the caster's POW to affect an unwilling target, then this should be made clear in the casting mechanics section.

Edited by PhilHibbs
  • Like 1

Page 313 Gaining Rune Magic Spells says:

"Cults also possess one or more special Rune magic spells.
An adventurer gains access to cult special or associated cult
Rune spells at the same time they sacrifice POW for Rune Points
"

Page 284

". Gain Access to Rune Spells: When an adventurer
sacrifices a point of characteristic POW at the
temple, the adventurer may gain access to a special
cult Rune spell available to that temple, including
associate cults.
A subcult must be joined before
subcult spells can be gained."

Page 283

"Gaining Access to Associated
Cult Rune Spells
When an adventurer sacrifices a point of POW to increase
their Rune point pool, they can select a Rune spell from an
associated cult worshiped at that temple instead of selecting
a Rune spell from their main cult or subcult. The associated
cult must be one worshiped at that temple
."

And

"Casting Associated Cult
Rune Magic
To cast the Rune spell provided by an associated cult, an
initiate must spend the requisite number of Rune points
and successfully roll against the Rune affinity of the spell
on a D100. This Rune is often different from the Runes of
the initiate’s primary god.
"

Now Page 275 says

Membership in Multiple Cults
It is possible for an adventurer to be an initiate of more
than one cult. They must pass the appropriate tests, and this
always requires that the cults be compatible. They must also
tithe to each temple, and perform properly and completely
all duties and responsibilities to each temple.
Adventurers must maintain a separate pool of Rune points
for each cult they are a member of, and the number of Rune
points they may possess with that cult is equal to their CHA

The question is  access and use of Associated Cult Spells.

My initial reading I assumed that ONLY the single spell listed as provided by a listed associated cult could be gained, but it could be used out of ones Main God's Rune Points?

Then I became less certain, particularly as I looked at the incredible close relationship between some cults like Odalya, Yinkin, Orlanth etc Plus the reference to "The associated
cult must be one worshiped at that temple
." Under the entry for Yinkin on page 310 says "Yinkin initiates can join the Orlanth cult merely by sacrificing 1 point of POW to Orlanth."

Clear Subcults require membership of each for their special spells.

Where does the need / benefit of a separate pool of Rune Points and membership of another cult activate / become required. Does a character eg an Orlanthi have to join Yinkin to get access to more than Identify Scent? If there is a Yinkin shrine at at temple of Orlanth could it just be aquiring an associated cult spell to get Catseye or Charisma?? Or should this require joining Yinkin - albeit probably a rather simplified and straight forward thing to do??

Page 278 says

"A God-talker who is also a Rune Priest of
another cult must give 9/10 of their income to their primary
cult, and then 1/2 of whatever is left to their secondary cult."

Page 281 says

"A Rune Lord of one cult cannot become a Rune
Priest of another."

By implication the Rune Lord could become a God Talker for another cult? Or not?

The language on runes p227 is kind of odd. It makes a distinction that elemental runes can only be used with a "single" skill and almost makes it sound like you need to pre-select the one skill that you'll be able to augment. I think the point of the paragraph is there's a table for elemental runes and what they can augment, but for power/form the GM is going to wing it on what can be augmented.