A List of Glorantha Products by Timeline

creativehum

Has anyone put together a list of all Glorantha related products across different game lines according to the historical years each product covers.

Examples:

• Sartar Rising: Orlanth is Dead (1613-1625)
  • Red Cow: The Eleven Lights (1618-1625)
  • RuneQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha (1625-  )

And so on.

i ask because there is an incredible amount of material scattered across many books. And if someone wants inspiration for setting up games in different time periods it would be very useful to have.

i believe some books are no longer "canon" -- but for the purposes of this thread I'm ignoring that. 

Does such a list exist? Could such a list be cobbled together?

• Like 1

"But Pendragon isn’t intended to be historical, just fun.
So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

47 minutes ago, creativehum said:

Does such a list exist? Could such a list be cobbled together?

Not that I recall, but yes could be cobbled together.

Roughly:

Probably pre-1613: Apple Lane.

1616-1621:  Borderlands, Pavis, Big Rubble, Sun County, Shadows on the Borderlands.  Starts with the Grantlands campaign in Borderlands and culminates with the Giant's Cradle in 1621.  Strangers in Prax largely overlaps (depending on what you do with the Coders).  Griffin Mountain fits this period too, though as a sandbox, can be rather loose in dates.

1617-1621:  Dorastor: Land of Doom (Risklands campaign)

1618-1625:  Sartar Rising sequence, The Coming Storm, Eleven Lights.  SKoH and Sartar Companion fit in 1618-1620.

1625+:  RQG including Quickstart

This would be a great list. I havent played so much in Glorantha since becoming an adult but is now planning to launch a campaign with friends. But I also own most of the old products and are thinking about starting in 1616 or 1621 so that I will be able to use the old scenarios. I guess/hope that Chaosium will have published a lot of 1625+ material when my group reaches that year. I think that the groups can start in Prax and Pavis, return to Sartar (for the HQG campaigns converted to RGQ) and when join the Hero Wars in 1625.

I have never heard of such a list, but it would be quite useful. Are you seeking the date each scenario is set in? Are you asking for the years/ages covered in historical material? 

For example, the RQ2 rulebook has a timeline that ends at 1613. You could say that it is set in 1613+, yet it also covers information from 1100-1613.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Here is a short list I made while preparing a campaign in the Borderlands (& Beyond). There is a high risk of inaccuracies, some RuneQuest III, HeroWars and HQ1books starting time must be guessed.

RuneQuest II (1613)

Griffin Mountain (1612)

Borderlands & Beyond (1615)

Dorastor: Land of Doom (1617-1621)

Sun County (1621)

River of Cradles (1621)

Shadows on the Borderlands (1621)

Strangers in Prax (1621)

Troll Pack (1621)

Troll Realms (1621)

Snake Pipe Hollow (1621)

Sartar Rising (Barbarian Adventures - Orlanth is Dead - Gathering Thunder) (1621)

Sartar Kingdom of Heroes (1618)

Sartar Companion (1618)

Pavis: Gateway to Adventures (1618)

The Coming Storm (1618-1625)

HeroQuest: Glorantha (1618-1628)

:)

Edited by Corvantir
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yelm's Light said:

RQ2, 1613?  Based on what?  Rurik starting as a newbie?

Maybe based on:

6 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

I have never heard of such a list, but it would be quite useful. Are you seeking the date each scenario is set in? Are you asking for the years/ages covered in historical material? 

For example, the RQ2 rulebook has a timeline that ends at 1613. You could say that it is set in 1613+, yet it also covers information from 1100-1613.

• 1 year later...
On 6/8/2018 at 6:23 AM, Rick Meints said:

I forgot about this thread!

@Rick Meints, to answer your question, I'm looking for the dates scenarios are set and the key information in a product that is covered for contempoary play.

To use your example, RQ2 has history spanning 500 year... but for my purposes the key is it brings us up to date for the year 1613. 

A lot of Gloranthan products have information going back years, if not sometimes centuries, but each is usually anchored in "the now" of a particular year or years. What I'm looking to build is a Timeline of "the now" for each product. Clearly @Corvantir already did a lot of the leg work on this.

My goal might be to add in non-official stuff like Tarsh in Flames and so on. (I'm not a canon-head. I'd be looking for inspiration to steal from along the timeline as my desires demand.)

Edited by creativehum
  • Like 1

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

I like your list, but I think you have too much crammed into 1621; 8 out of 17 books. I'd spread out the Avalon Hill work through the years of 1617-1620. I'd probably put the lunar coders in 1622 - having them arrive in Pavis after the Cradle scenario (otherwise you have to explain why they didn't get involved).

Biturian Varosh's travels, detailed in Cults of Prax are in 1614-1615 (dates were provided). There's no Raus Fort in his travels, so building Raus Fort starts after Sea Season 1615.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, pachristian said:

... I'd probably put the lunar coders in 1622 - having them arrive in Pavis after the Cradle scenario (otherwise you have to explain why they didn't get involved)...

I've seen at least one account wherein they did get involved (rather to their detriment -- some felt the Lunar forces were wrong in attacking the cradle, and fought to defend it; etc...) .

23 minutes ago, pachristian said:

Biturian Varosh's travels, detailed in Cults of Prax are in 1614-1615 (dates were provided). There's no Raus Fort in his travels, so building Raus Fort starts after Sea Season 1615.

I'd have to revisit the ToBV, but my remembrance is that his path didn't take him where he would have encountered Raus & co...

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

2 hours ago, g33k said:

but my remembrance is that his path didn't take him where he would have encountered Raus & co...

It does, but doesn't have explicit encounters in that leg.  And his travels just slightly predate Raus' arrival (1st scenario starts Truth week of Seaseason 1615), though the fort was likely under construction.

Sun Dome Temple 5/8/IV/1614 - 8 Yelmalio
Corflu 7/1/V/1614 to 3/1/I/1615 - 9 Issaries
Horn Gate 6/1/I/1615 - 10 Chalana Arroy
Pavis 1/4/I/1615 - 11 Lhankor Mhy

image.png.955071b5a7566c4bc16f992b7194fac0.png

When we worked on the “Secret History of Sun County,” we pinned the original book down to 1615 or thereabouts (look it up on Jane Williams’ website: there was a date in the Rabbit Hat Farm scenario which she weaponised). We needed a fixed date to work out when our soap opera protagonists were born, etc., to help fill in backstory.

Canonically, the Lunar Coders visit Prax before the Cradle, are involved around the edges of the Cradle episode itself (this is per @MOB’s draft account of Sun County and related historical events from 1621-27), and then push off back to the Heartlands and essentially disband. I’m sure we’ll catch up with them eventually; I’m writing a convention scenario myself about Count Julan’s return to Prax.

Cheers, Nick

Edited by Nick Brooke
  • Like 2

MOB's thoughts about "Coders on the Cradle"

Jane Williams' summary of our Sun County setting date conclusions:
http://www.jane-williams.me.uk/glorantha/sc/sc_sh_01.cfm

The dates given in "Sun County" are ambiguous at best. Ages are given for many of the main characters, but the date "today" is not given explicitly. A timeline for the "Rabbit Hat Farm" section states that the farm was raided by nomads in 1616: this starts the scenario, so I took this as the defining date. Borderlands, just down the river, was explicitly stated as being 1615/16. 

Cheers, Nick

• Like 1

I'd be inclined to push all the RQ3 Praxian stuff back to "1615-1620," myself, and treat RQ2 Pavis box's Cradle scenario (Sea Season 1621) as a capstone on that era. The Coders are in Prax before the Cradle, per MOB; Sor-eel gets replaced as Governor afterwards: none of the older RuneQuest books address that situation (or indeed the subsequent Great Winter that lasted into Earth Season of 1622) at all. So it seems to me that you're cramming an awful lot into one year if all those scenarios have to happen in 1621.

• Like 1

I'm inclined to listen to people smarter than me on these matters than me to adjust timelines as needed or as useful.

Dates might be adjusted from the published books with hindsight. Or maybe have two timelines listed for accuracy: the dates as published, and the dates as revised with hindsight.

Edited by creativehum
  • Like 1

So have fun."

-- Greg Stafford

Don't forget that dates, and some characters, might have to be adjusted to allow for game play. Particularly the wizard characters (Marcelus the Monitor and Arlaten the Magus from Strangers in Prax); there's some rather dramatic changes in the sorcery system since RQ3.

For many of the scenarios, the date, I think, gets locked down to "when the PC's do this". But how does this look for a range:

Sun County, River of Cradles, Shadows on the Borderlands: 1616 - 1620 (as played by PC's)

Strangers in Prax requires more precision, as it mostly deals with NPC's who will affect events around them. Baran the Monster slayer could be any time from 1616 - 1620. Arlaten the Magus could arrive in 1619, and the Coders in 1620.

I'm doing a "Living Glorantha" game, where I incorporate events from both my and my friend's previous campaigns. This makes a good timeline important for my game. My current game is set in Pavis. We started the game Sea Season 1612. We're up to Dark Season 1614. In my game, Duke Raus has just moved to his townhouse in Pavis. One of my PC's is a Doctor, and was asked to consult on Varna's health (she was feeling poorly after the trip across the plains). 

Also of note -- wasn't it @soltakss who produced a very nice (albeit non-canonical) sequencing for most/all of the RQ2/RQ3-era Pavis/Rubble/River/Cradle scenarii?

I'd be as happy using his, as anything "canonical" -- YGMV, MGMV, EGWV

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

7 hours ago, g33k said:

Also of note -- wasn't it @soltakss who produced a very nice (albeit non-canonical) sequencing for most/all of the RQ2/RQ3-era Pavis/Rubble/River/Cradle scenarii?

I'd be as happy using his, as anything "canonical" -- YGMV, MGMV, EGWV

I'd be interested in seeing that if you can find it. My group has finished River of Cradles, and are about to go into Scenario 4 of Borderlands (which is slightly problematic, because the PCs do meet the Duke in River of Cradles, and then see him building his fort in Borderlands... but I just decided he had some sort of temporary fortification at the time they met in RoC). I'd like to use both Sun Country and Strangers in Prax, and I definitely want to run the Cradle.

8 hours ago, GAZZA said:

I'd be interested in seeing that if you can find it. My group has finished River of Cradles, and are about to go into Scenario 4 of Borderlands (which is slightly problematic, because the PCs do meet the Duke in River of Cradles, and then see him building his fort in Borderlands... but I just decided he had some sort of temporary fortification at the time they met in RoC). I'd like to use both Sun Country and Strangers in Prax, and I definitely want to run the Cradle.

Could be this one: http://www.soltakss.com/pavis01.html#Timeline

• Like 2

On 5/29/2020 at 10:33 AM, Oracle said:

Also, http://www.soltakss.com/pavis01a.html for the Timeline using the actual dates from Griselda stories and http://www.soltakss.com/pavis01b.html for using amended dates for Griselda stories, to make them fit slightly better. http://www.soltakss.com/timeline.html is a general hero wars Timeline.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

8 hours ago, soltakss said:

Also, http://www.soltakss.com/pavis01a.html for the Timeline using the actual dates from Griselda stories and http://www.soltakss.com/pavis01b.html for using amended dates for Griselda stories, to make them fit slightly better. http://www.soltakss.com/timeline.html is a general hero wars Timeline.

ARGH! That has caused me existential angst now. :)

Seriously that looks great, but I've just now realised how much I'm missing - none of the Pavis & Big Rubble Companion stuff, and it doesn't seem to be available anywhere. (I do have the Pavis Trade Talk issues, surprisingly, but the only Ye Booke of Tentacles I have is the 2nd one). I suppose one can't have everything.