Joerg

How to translate God Learner?

7 hours ago, Julian Lord said:

Which is exactly what Oriflam did with "Les Érudits de l'Ambigu"

I really don't think that one is broken, whereas any more literal translations would be.

Your knowledge and mastery of the french language is far better than mine and all your points are valid. And you are right, a litteral translation won't work.

As far as "Érudits de l'ambigu" is concerned, you are not wrong, it is not broken. I simply don't like it at all because it does not convey something I want to see in the translation. There is nothing I or you can do about that. Even if it is the better or less worse translation that one could find, I really don't like it. I don't like garlic for example, and you can explain me all its virtues and how much you enjoy its taste, you won't make me eat it.

As far as the french edition is concerned, I must admit that I didn't like the original RQ3 neither. It went too far away from what we had perceived of Glorantha through the rulebook, Cults of Prax and Cults of Terror which were the only books we owned before RQ3 was published. I grew up with RQ2 and RQ3 didn't make it for me. More than the translation, the graphics of the french RQ3 was the worst thing of all. The text was describing a familiar world (though I didn't like the medieval tone of the West, for example) while I had the feeling that the art was describing another setting. It is mainly a matter of perception actually. The problem here was that I knew (or thought I knew) RQ2 before RQ3. The players I knew that started with RQ3 were not disturbed by the art or the translation.

I am far more at ease with the setting since HeroQuest 2 and HeroQuest: Glorantha. These two games actually brought me back to Glorantha.

I still don't know how I will translate "God Learners" to my players but I think I will chose one of the less than perfect translation and make them understand through their encounters that different people and cultures have different takes and use slightly different names when it comes to the God Learners. The ambiguity will come from the different names rather than the direct translation.   ;)

Scott-martin: I agree, the term "savant" is a possibility but in my opinion it would lead to the same problem than "Érudit". "Savant" is listed as a synonymous of "Érudit" in my dictionnary. This is why I didn't stated it in my previous posts.

Jeffjerwin: "divin" as some kind of priest is something I have though about. There is some ambiguity in the term that I like.

Soltkass: considering "Learner" more about "researching" or "understanding" is exactly the lead I would follow if I had to translate "God Learners".

The main problem is with "god" though and I agree with Julian Lord that it should be dropped and replaced by something else in french. By what is the trickier part of the work.   :(

Edited by Corvantir

I was under the impression that God Learner was not really something that the God Learners called themselves. It is more like something one says about witches or heretics: "burn the god learner!", "do not trust this wicked god learner!" "chain the foul god learner in the darkest dungeon!"  I cannot speak German, French, Latin, or Sehnegi, but I think the translation need to capture something that can be used as a derogatory term. 

I used the German word "Götterschüler" in a campaign, as a description for people who wanted to learn from the gods in order to become as powerful as gods.

5 hours ago, KeithN said:

I was under the impression that God Learner was not really something that the God Learners called themselves.

As per Guide, they formed the God Learner Collective in 845 ST in Jrustela. That doesn't sound like using a derogatory term used only by outsiders.

It is more like something one says about witches or heretics: "burn the god learner!", "do not trust this wicked god learner!" "chain the foul god learner in the darkest dungeon!" 

In German, the term for heretic ("Ketzer") is derived from the neutral word for the Katharian movement in southern France. "Hun" used to be the neutral term for the riders of Attila before world war propaganda projected this on the Germans. "Political correctness" used to be a positive term. "Communist" isn't eponymous with "Enemy of the People" in every culture. Neither is Neo-Conservative or Neoliberal, although they should.

I cannot speak German, French, Latin, or Sehnegi, but I think the translation need to capture something that can be used as a derogatory term. 

Any term can become poisoned when propaganda gets its ugly claws on it.

Try "Highlander". You can of course turn it into "hillbilly" or similar bad diminutives. Or you can make it into a proud tribal definition to distinguish yourself from those "southerners".

3 hours ago, rust said:

I used the German word "Götterschüler" in a campaign, as a description for people who wanted to learn from the gods in order to become as powerful as gods.

That's a very specific definition of God Learner and doesn't quite describe the Jrusteli researching the Abiding Book, the Return to Rightness crusaders, or Yomili defending the Seshnelan orthodoxy against Halwal's support of older forms of a multifaceted Malkionism, and not even of the Zistorites with their project in the Clanking City even though those are probably who you wanted to describe.