The Lore of Six Ages: Ride Like the Wind

Leingod

2 hours ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

Were tribes still around at the time of the zenith of the Darkness?

Well, they were still around at the Dawn (including the Berenethtelli and the others from the game), so probably? 

... although some tribes definitely fell apart, and presumably also clans that never actually joined tribes (should've thought of that, given KODP--it's just that by the end of Ride Like the Wind all the Rams we know of are in tribes...).

On 4/18/2019 at 8:31 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

Will this game come to the app shop (note, not iTunes)? Anyone know? Dave Hall?

I’m not sure what you mean by “the” app shop. The next release should be macOS and Windows versions that our publisher will sell on Steam, but likely other outlets as well.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, alakoring said:

I’m not sure what you mean by “the” app shop. The next release should be macOS and Windows versions that our publisher will sell on Steam, but likely other outlets as well.

Well, being on a Mac I can not buy from iTunes which is for mobile devices, obviously can not buy on The Play store. but must buy from the app shop, or steam (a choice I have not made yet nor do I really want to be getting from yet another site with new passwords, etc)... or another trusted site ( fer instance, A sharp or Chaosium which are my preferences if not the app store) . 

Cheers

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

• 1 month later...

Cool find! Looking through the wiki, I had no idea there was some actual extra contact to that crazy Burned Hero who attacked Beren out of nowhere in one or two of my playthroughs:

While exploring to the north of the valley <Explorer> and <his/her> party see an enormous plume of coal-black smoke rising from the horizon. Though countless leagues away, the explosion, or catastrophe, or whatever it might be, shakes the ground beneath them. Suddenly a figure falls from the sky near their feet, as if ejected by the smoke plume. The fall alone should have killed any ordinary being. Though its entire body is burned nearly to the bone everywhere, armor scorched or melted away, it lurches to its feet toward <Explorer>. Several members of the expedition have trouble controlling their horses.

1. Attack.
  2. Speak to the figure.
  3. Run.

If you choose to speak, the burned hero has this to say: “I am Hesenfaro. That smoke is a battle between gods,” the figure intones. “I was there until Granite Man, enemy of my god Gerendetho, struck a gigantic blow against our entire army. It sent me heavenwards and slew my retinue. As you can see, it wounded me grievously, burning my flesh and stripping me of six of my seven Impossible Blessings.”

You will then be able to choose between running or fighting. Running can work; fighting is less likely, as the hero can get up again after being killed.

So apparently he's a champion of Gerendetho, who the wiki tells me is the Earth God of the Kostaddi who made the Jord Mountains. In the next event if you interrogate him he'll tell you that his last Impossible Blessing is the "Blessing of Stolen Nourishment."

Your warriors spot a charred figure slipping into Beren’s tent at night. They catch it grasping his head in its damaged hands. Flame wreathes Beren and flows into the intruder, as if it is feeding on your young hero’s sacred inner fire. They pull it away from Beren, touching off a pitched battle of many against one.<Number> <warriors> were hurt, but now they have subdued it.

1. Kill it.
  2. Extract a promise never to return.
  3. Interrogate it.
  4. Tell it that another clan has a hero it might feed on.
  5. Let it go.

Apparently it needs to be another Hero to allow him to properly recover.

Hesenfaro.octet-stream.jpg

BurnedTentInvader.octet-stream.jpg

• Like 1

Also, I looked at the blog and was very pleasantly surprised by this recent update: https://blog.sixages.com/index.php/2019/06/19/june-status/

In short, the Windows & Mac versions are in "Alpha" and are going to enter beta-testing soon, there's going to be an update to the existing version to fix some bugs and add a new interactive scene, and perhaps most excitingly they've got most of the art and about half of the writing for "Lights Going Out."

Really hoping I can make our clan still be Elmali even if we're now part of the Berennethtelli...

SolarDisk.jpg

• Like 2

That definitely looks like an Elmal chief in the screenshot! Along with Nyalda-or-Ernalda, a shaman (I am so happy to see shamans again, I love shamans so much, I never want to give them up), a maybe-Humakti, Dostal-or-Odayla, Erissa-or-Chalana, and... who knows. Mystery rune guy! (Could just be the way the crop went, or maybe he's an Orlanth worshipper--that'd be worth hiding as a spoiler for the end of RLTW--but really, who knows.) Anyway, like the Humakti's face tattoos. And the nice warm hats for a colder world. 

But I'm assuming that we're going to be Elmal-focused Orlanthi--less like the Elmal player clan in KODP than the Elmal NPC clan, who considered Elmal their king of the gods. (Well, their very, very distant ancestors.) 

Re: the burned hero, I thought for ages that that was a chain and you had to encounter him adventuring before he'd follow you home. (Mostly in my adventuring, he grabs the explorer and says "You lack the essence to restore me", which is nicely creepy and also makes me wonder what'd happen if I met him with Beren/Yatakan/Ayvtu.)

Another little thing: 

"A trader of the Orvisi clan spoke of the far-off Feldikki people, who build towers so they don't have to live on the ground and drink blood. Truly, the world is an amazing place!" 

Feldichi = Feldichi, maybe. (And why am I not surprised that my Raven trickster thought that sounded cool?)

Edited by Sheliak
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, Leingod said:

Also, I looked at the blog and was very pleasantly surprised by this recent update: https://blog.sixages.com/index.php/2019/06/19/june-status/

In short, the Windows & Mac versions are in "Alpha" and are going to enter beta-testing soon, there's going to be an update to the existing version to fix some bugs and add a new interactive scene, and perhaps most excitingly they've got most of the art and about half of the writing for "Lights Going Out."

Really hoping I can make our clan still be Elmali even if we're now part of the Berennethtelli...

SolarDisk.jpg

That shield looks familiar...

latest?cb=20181117022710

https://sixages.fandom.com/wiki/Imperial_Refugees:_Pursuit

36 minutes ago, Sheliak said:

That definitely looks like an Elmal chief in the screenshot! Along with Nyalda-or-Ernalda, a shaman (I am so happy to see shamans again, I love shamans so much, I never want to give them up), a maybe-Humakti, Dostal-or-Odayla, Erissa-or-Chalana, and... who knows. Mystery rune guy! (Could just be the way the crop went, or maybe he's an Orlanth worshipper--that'd be worth hiding as a spoiler for the end of RLTW--but really, who knows.) Anyway, like the Humakti's face tattoos. And the nice warm hats for a colder world. 

But I'm assuming that we're going to be Elmal-focused Orlanthi--less like the Elmal player clan in KODP than the Elmal NPC clan, who considered Elmal their king of the gods. (Well, their very, very distant ancestors.) 

Re: the burned hero, I thought for ages that that was a chain and you had to encounter him adventuring before he'd follow you home. (Mostly in my adventuring, he grabs the explorer and says "You lack the essence to restore me", which is nicely creepy and also makes me wonder what'd happen if I met him with Beren/Yatakan/Ayvtu.)

Another little thing: 

"A trader of the Orvisi clan spoke of the far-off Feldikki people, who build towers so they don't have to live on the ground and drink blood. Truly, the world is an amazing place!" 

Feldichi = Feldichi, maybe. (And why am I not surprised that my Raven trickster thought that sounded cool?)

The Hyalorings previously had no actual Death god or god with the Death Rune, so that's almost certainly Humakt.

But yeah, for me he just appeared out of nowhere trying to suck the essence out of Beren to restore himself, and apparently he gets back up if you kill him. I don't really remember how I handled that one.

17 minutes ago, Sheliak said:

That shield looks familiar...

latest?cb=20181117022710

https://sixages.fandom.com/wiki/Imperial_Refugees:_Pursuit

Given that's a Sun Disk that guy's holding, it certainly seems like we're dealing with Dara Happans again.

Also found another event on the wiki I've never gotten that's... dark, but interesting.

<Number> of your children have gone missing. After more than a day of frantic searching, <Trickster> returns from places unknown. When asked about the missing, <he/she> says that <he/she> took them away to sell them into slavery. “A party of charioteer slavers paid me goods worth <amount> cows for them,” <Trickster> says. “We claim to be opposed to slavery, but in fact are happy to cooperate with clans who sell people. So Raven the Trickster reckoned that we should profit from our excess children, so that the rest of us might survive as winters grow ever harsher. If you ask me, Raven’s demand was harsh. But I could not refuse it.”

1. Contact Raven and disclaim support for slave traders.
  2. Find out where the children are now.
  3. Punish <Trickster>."
  4. “We must accept Raven’s judgment.”

It almost seems like Raven is either expressing disapproval of slavery, or at the very least is using a cruel prank as a way of highlighting your clan's hypocrisies. Which is generally what I imagine as one of the primary functions of a Trickster figure in most cultures, but doesn't seem very prevalent among the Orlanthi (at least as far as I've seen); there, they tend to regard Eurmal as just dangerous and capricious for the sake of it, and generally don't try to think of any kind of moral to Trickster's tales except the ones that end with the Trickster himself being humiliated and defeated (and then that's usually a way of reinforcing common Orlanthi values or virtues). I wonder what that says about them?

DistressedMothers.png

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Leingod said:

It almost seems like Raven is either expressing disapproval of slavery, or at the very least is using a cruel prank as a way of highlighting your clan's hypocrisies. Which is generally what I imagine as one of the primary functions of a Trickster figure in most cultures, but doesn't seem very prevalent among the Orlanthi (at least as far as I've seen); there, they tend to regard Eurmal as just dangerous and capricious for the sake of it, and generally don't try to think of any kind of moral to Trickster's tales except the ones that end with the Trickster himself being humiliated and defeated (and then that's usually a way of reinforcing common Orlanthi values or virtues). I wonder what that says about them?

'I didn't mean to kill the Bad Emperor, it was Trickster's fault'

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leingod said:

<Number> of your children have gone missing. After more than a day of frantic searching, <Trickster> returns from places unknown. When asked about the missing, <he/she> says that <he/she> took them away to sell them into slavery. “A party of charioteer slavers paid me goods worth <amount> cows for them,” <Trickster> says. “We claim to be opposed to slavery, but in fact are happy to cooperate with clans who sell people. So Raven the Trickster reckoned that we should profit from our excess children, so that the rest of us might survive as winters grow ever harsher. If you ask me, Raven’s demand was harsh. But I could not refuse it.”

1.  Contact Raven and disclaim support for slave traders.
  2. Find out where the children are now.
  3. Punish <Trickster>."
  4. “We must accept Raven’s judgment.”

Argh, I missed a typo when I put that one on the wiki! 

But yeah, that event is really interesting in what it implies about Raven. It's one of my favorites. 

I think it's definitely about the clan's hypocrisy, at least in part--to get it to happen you have to ignore one of your clan's more important beliefs in the name of convenience. Although Raven doesn't really care about any of your other beliefs, that I've noticed--so maybe this is something Raven personally cares about.  And I've definitely had tricksters disapprove of slavery: 

"You can’t cage a raven. Even a Wheel shouldn’t be caged." 

• Like 1

More on the Feldichi/Feldikki:

"We’ve returned from the <direction>. We unexpectedly came upon a small city full of industrious magicians. They gave us hospitality and gifts, welcoming us to Fel Dichu. When we awoke the next morning, there was no city. It was no dream, because we all agree that it happened, and we still have the gifts. But as hard as we <looked/searched>, there was no sign that a city was ever there." 

No word on if you can pass the Golden Wheel Dancers' message on to them, though. 

(The debug file name for the eventlet is ExploredFeldichi.)

Another debug file calls the local rams Cistaruli. Like Kestaytelli, the Glorantha wiki is not giving me anything for that name. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Huh. At that point it starts to feel like there's some foreshadowing going on here. Given that the Golden Wheel Dancers survive on to become part of the First Unity Council, I can only hope we'll get some answers in Lights Going Out and/or The World Reborn (fingers crossed that these games can get that far!)

I'm definitely hoping to see more of them! It does seem like a bit of foreshadowing for both of those groups. 

I went poking my debug files and found a few things:

Sometimes the Feldikki ride flying chariots or eat no meat instead of drinking blood. 

Generic god dies (not Yestal). (Are there multiple scorpion queens or just one? I'd assumed the former, but in this game people talk like there's only one and her name is Bahoka. Although they also sometimes mention scorpion princesses...) 

Two nights ago <one of our herders/a patrol> saw a star falling to the far <north/south/east/west>. We performed a divination. Apparently it <died when its followers abandoned it/was killed by darkness monsters/was attacked by the Scorpion Queen>.

Flood, with a very in-character dragon: 

The <otherClan> clan <had several houses washed away/had many of their cattle drown/suffered great damage> when the river left its banks. People said <a watery dragon was giving a gift to a hill/giant fish were laughing/there was no warning>.

Ducks! Who are, hilariously, the one thing your clan absolutely refuses to believe in. 

The <Ram> clan say that they were visited by a party of child-sized birds, who spoke in the language of the Rams. They <could walk on water/breathed noxious fumes/gave sage advice/were terrified of geese/knew everyone’s lineage without asking>. I have no idea why they thought we would believe this <horse dung/story>. 

Storm gods fighting:

There was a <gigantic/tremendous> storm to the north. It might have been <two storm gods fighting over the bones of their grandfather/a duel between two storm gods>.

The Bird Riders apparently used to rule the empire, but no longer do (War of Many Suns, maybe?):

The <otherClan> clan claim they were visited by the last surviving Bird Rider, who came to them from the far north. The Bird Riders once ruled the Empire as usurpers, but were cast out long ago.

Blue Moon

There is a rumor going around that the <Blue Sun/Water Sun> will rise again. It <was shot from the sky by Emperor Lukarius/could not keep aloft/tumbled from the sky> during the War of Many Suns, so this seems unlikely.

King of Dragon Pass foreshadowing! 

A <one-eyed/blind> prophet has said that this land <would be a horse queen’s dowry/would be a battleground for empires/would be destroyed by dragons>. The signs were very certain, but he did not know when this would occur. I am not going to <worry/lose sleep> because of these tidings."

A rough estimate for how much time passes between this game and the next: 

I had the most distressing dream. It was clearly sent by the gods as a prophecy, and showed how our whole world would die, even most of the gods. This would not happen soon, but would occur within ten generations.

EWF:

I had the most disturbing dream. Not an ordinary dream, but a prophecy. Our land was ruled by dragons, and dragon-men, and men who had the tongues of dragons. And in the sky, even the clouds and sun were dragons. I don’t know what to make of this.

These guys sound vaguely familiar (and possibly Chaotic?)

A trader from the <otherClan> clan <mentioned/spoke of/let me know about> three-armed men who live far to the west. They have eyes in their hands, and <eat only eggs/can throw a javelin over a league/never sleep>. <Truly the world is an amazing place!/I am not sure if I can believe this, but she swore it to be true./It would be grand to see this some day.>

This sounds like the trolls that attacked Orlentos (or just generic hinting at how powerful they're getting right now):

A trader from the <otherClan> clan <mentioned/spoke of/let me know about> terrible trolls who live far to the north. They <blot out the sun when they come near/cannot be harmed by metal/eat people’s eyes/have hundreds of enslaved Dara Happans to serve them>. <I hope I never see this myself!/It makes me shiver just to think about.>

Elves and yarm trees: 

A priest from the <otherClan> clan related a partly-remembered story about elves that tended <Emperor Yelm’s gardens/the gardens of the Celestial Court> and planted the first yarm tree. <Interesting if true, but not very useful/This might be so, but it really won’t help us>.

Interesting possible background information about Shargash: 

A priest from the <Rider> clan told me of an old tale he had recovered, of how Shargash the Red Demon Sun of Alkoth was once a benevolent god who brought the city fertility by burning away trees and weeds so they could plant their crops. But the storm gods made him crazy. <Interesting if true, but not very useful/This might be so, but it really won’t help us>.

Earthquake fathers = Gerendetho and Granite Man? 

I don’t have to tell you about the earthquake, since everyone felt it. But I thought it was worth confirming that it <was caused by the shaker goddess of the Rams, not one of the mountain fathers north of us/came from one of the mountain fathers north of us, and not the Ram shaker goddess>.

Antlers being a little too happy with the end of the world: 

Our Antler Society shamans reassure us that the apparent disaster of the sky breaking should not be feared. Though they too have suffered, the Antlers know that this is but a necessary step in a great transformation that will change the world for the better.

A couple different Rams Being Weird stories:

Two Ram chieftains, <OCC> of the <otherClan.plural> and <f> of the <foilClan.plural>, have long been at odds with one another. Both showed up at a market hosted by the <thirdClan> clan, where they quickly fell into loud dispute. Fists flew, and a brawl broke out, to the amusement of the Rams and consternation of their hosts. After pummeling one another for a good long while, the two chieftains have reconciled. The <thirdClan.plural>, however, remain much offended.

Two Ram chieftains, <OCC> of the <otherClan.plural> and <f> of the <foilClan.plural>, have been trading insults for many weeks. <OCC> composed a poem satirizing <f>’s foibles, and strode to their borderland to loudly declaim it. This so shamed <f> that <he/she> dropped dead on the spot! Is there any people more peculiar than the Rams?

Wheel hero's birth:

<otherClan> nobles have been riding around in their chariots informing their neighbors of the birth of Autronos, son of their chieftain <occ>. The sunpath glowed when he dawned from his mother’s womb. Or so say the <otherClan.plural>, always quick to remind us of their unbroken lineage from Elmal.

A chief gets too close to the gods (reminds me a bit of the Gar-Astin chief):

<f> has stepped down as chieftain of the <otherClan> clan after experiencing a dread vision. <He/She> won’t talk about it except to say that <he/she> experienced time the way the gods do—as something both nonexistent, fluid, and eternally repeating. Since this epiphany, <he/she> has been unable to care about anything, especially the day to day affairs of the clan. <f>’s successor, <OCC>, thanked <him/her> for all of <his/her> efforts and wisdom. Still, the feast of succession took place under a dark cloud of disquiet.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Sheliak said:

(Are there multiple scorpion queens or just one? I'd assumed the former, but in this game people talk like there's only one and her name is Bahoka. Although they also sometimes mention scorpion princesses...) 

A "Scorpion Queen" is the only class of scorpionfolk who can lay eggs, and there are definitely more than one. Presumably, Bahoka is just the one the Hyalorings are actually familiar with (the whole "Chaos" thing is actually pretty new to them in general). They're also totally unfamiliar with, for example, dragonewts and are only passingly familiar with thunder lizards through stories.

46 minutes ago, Sheliak said:

Storm gods fighting:

Presuming "grandfather" here means "Umath," I'd suppose it's probably one of the fairly frequent fights between the different followers of Umath's sons, like the Orlanthi and Vadrudi.

48 minutes ago, Sheliak said:

The Bird Riders apparently used to rule the empire, but no longer do (War of Many Suns, maybe?):

That might refer to the Riskesting Empire that was later overthrown by Eskarlavus and Manarlavus. On the other hand, it could perhaps refer to the Manimati people, also called the "Stork People," who under Manimat ruled much of the empire from Darjiin until Manarlavus won the first-ever "I Hate Darjiinian Usurpers" Ritual War.

Which is interesting, as Manarlavus was the reigning Emperor when Hyalor and Samnal defied the empire's orders to raise a dome over Nivorah and the one who decreed that Elmal's name be forever forgotten because of it. So if we presume that the Dara Happan calendar deserves any credit (which is a big "if," IMO) we can say that the exodus from Nivorah happened sometime during his 722-year reign from 108677 YS to 109399 YS.

58 minutes ago, Sheliak said:

A rough estimate for how much time passes between this game and the next: 

That's interesting. I'll note that the family line of King Venef the Stallion (who rules the Berennethtelli in the time of King Heort) goes back 7 generations, i.e. Venef is son of Iverlantho, son of Brolarulf the Son, son of Vinglanth, son of Vingulf, son of Ulvargar, son of Beren the Rider. This genealogy probably isn't accurate, though, given that Venef's son Vesten was born in 255 ST, well after the Dawn.

Of course, it's not at all unusual for the heredity to be "simplified," with generations being squished together and some names that repeated being confused as being one person and so on; note, for instance, that Beren is stated at the end of the game to have had a son also named Beren, who could very well be "Beren the Rider" in that genealogy, with people confusing the two Berens as the same person. Plus it should be noted that the Hyalorings have a certain habit of using the number 7 in stories, a bit more so than the Orlanthi (who also do it), so it's easy to imagine the genealogy being simplified to just 7 generations over time.

1 hour ago, Sheliak said:

@RHW posited exactly that on the "How do the Alkothi view Shargash?" thread. I also pointed out there that this would explain Shargash's predilection for collecting (and then throwing away/abandoning) fertile wives in "Nyalda's Bride Price;" he first had a Rice Wife, then threw her aside for his River Wife, then tried to do that again with Nyalda, who he claimed would be his Green Wife.

Earthquake fathers = Gerendetho and Granite Man? 

The former did apparently make the Jord Mountains, so he's certainly in the right place for that, and it makes sense that the people living in the area would say that earthquakes were made by the two's warring with each other or something along those lines. Though "Earthquake Father" isn't among his known titles (which are Raiser of Hills, Long Runner, Father of the Kostaddi, Spear Shaper and Old Hunter). Maybe he loses that title when he triumphs over the Granite Man? I assume he triumphs, anyway, since Granite Man is only scarcely mentioned in the GRoY (where it's stated that their feud created the Hungry Plateau) and is mentioned in the past tense.

A couple different Rams Being Weird stories:

I love how consistently baffled the Riders are with the great importance the Rams place on poetry and how they never seem to ever understand a word of it. My favorite is when they get dragged into some inter-clan poetry dispute about which clan's sheep (one has white sheep, one has black sheep) look prettier.

Wheel hero's birth:

Yeah, I pretty much always get that sometime before Beren's birth.

• Like 1

"Within ten generations" could mean ten generations or less, or it could mean ten named Rider generations (but some of the kings/kings' sons had children late). There's also a line about Beren and Redalda living "longer than most", which could mean the upper end of normal or... more than that. After all, Redalda at least gets worshipped as a goddess later on... And there's the precedent of Hyalor. 

Earthquake fathers could also just mean "male gods that cause earthquakes"--it might be what the Riders call them, rather than what they call themselves. 

Re: Bird Riders, at one point I think they're mentioned as coming from or controlling the city of Verapur, which the Glorantha wiki tells me is a mythical Rinliddi city. 

The whole "oops, we took sides in a fight over whose sheep are better" exchange is funny. They just barely understood that the poem was about now nice the sheep's color was! 

(They do speak a different language, and poems tend to be harder to translate...) 

I'm not sure if I've linked them before, but I've been trying to fill in the legendary figures' pages on the wiki with quotes.

e.g https://sixages.fandom.com/wiki/Zenangar

• Like 1

These guys sound vaguely familiar (and possibly Chaotic?)

A trader from the <otherClan> clan <mentioned/spoke of/let me know about> three-armed men who live far to the west. They have eyes in their hands, and <eat only eggs/can throw a javelin over a league/never sleep>. <Truly the world is an amazing place!/I am not sure if I can believe this, but she swore it to be true./It would be grand to see this some day.>

Sounds like the Maidstone Archers.

A priest from the <Rider> clan told me of an old tale he had recovered, of how Shargash the Red Demon Sun of Alkoth was once a benevolent god who brought the city fertility by burning away trees and weeds so they could plant their crops. But the storm gods made him crazy. <Interesting if true, but not very useful/This might be so, but it really won’t help us>.

OMG JUST LIKE MY SPECULATION ASDFGH

*cough* That's really cool.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sheliak said:

So that's who those guys are! I think I was confusing them with the evil hand magician in King of Dragon Pass. (This guy: https://kingofdragonpass.fandom.com/wiki/Harming_Hand

Congratulations on the theory! 

Well, @Leingod pointed out that it was @RHW who posited it, but it was in my thread, and I like the idea, so I'm still going to count it as an absolute win.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed
  • Like 1

I like the mention of the "Blue Sun", which pretty much confirms what we've been saying that the Hyalorings (and possibly by extension the God Time Dara Happans) see "Sun" as a class of celestial object that includes what we would call planets in Glorantha in Time, as well as the moons, of course. Their defining feature, aside from celestial qualities (giving off a lot of light, etc), might be mainly "theo-political", ie. being considered the patron celestial body of a Dara Happan city.

11 minutes ago, Sheliak said:

I'm not sure if I've linked them before, but I've been trying to fill in the legendary figures' pages on the wiki with quotes.

e.g https://sixages.fandom.com/wiki/Zenangar

It's actually a little strange how much more your clan's leaders have to say about the other three leaders of the Four Clans - even Nameforgot! - than their own founder Basikan. Especially Zenangar, who has so much nice stuff said about him you'd swear your clan were his descendants instead. I guess the good feeling is at least partially explained by the fact that they seem to have been allied and there's no mention of hostilities, but still.

4 minutes ago, Sir_Godspeed said:

I like the mention of the "Blue Sun", which pretty much confirms what we've been saying that the Hyalorings (and possibly by extension the God Time Dara Happans) see "Sun" as a class of celestial object that includes what we would call planets in Glorantha in Time, as well as the moons, of course. Their defining feature, aside from celestial qualities (giving off a lot of light, etc), might be mainly "theo-political", ie. being considered the patron celestial body of a Dara Happan city.

Or at the very least it fits with their seemingly not distinguishing between suns and moons.

3 minutes ago, Sheliak said:

There's also Yatelo, whose claim to sunhood seems to be being a real pain and not obviously a member of another pantheon... 

To be fair, though, his art does ascribe to him a bit of the same solar iconography given to other "Small Suns." More to the point, only some claim that he is "an evil piece of the sky" (i.e. the representation of more harmful aspects of the sun, namely its ability to cause famine) and the "Hungry Sun," while others claim he is an evil spirit created by the destruction of many smaller, kinder spirits in the chaos of the Storm Age, and thus call him "Hunger Maker" instead.

HungrySun.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah, there's surprisingly little about Basikan. And at one point one of your leaders claims to be descended from Zenangar. (Mind, by definition one has more than one ancestor, and Basikan and Zenangar's families could've intermarried. But it's still weird.)

Nameforgot's role in advice is to be a bad example (like Bad King Urgrain!) so it's not surprising that there's a lot about him. 

Re: storm gods fighting over their grandfather's bones: Umath's grandchildren could also include, say, Vinga and Valind. 

• Like 1