Kolating shamanism and RQG

Pentallion

9 hours ago, g33k said:

Apologies for summoning an ancient thread, but... well, it is a Shamanic thread.

I wondered if any updated Shamanic rules can be revealed yet -- at least in part -- as the first few Cults books are out, and I think a book with Horned Man & Spirit Cults is supposed to be coming (?)

The only new thing is that Kolat is in the lightbringers book as an associate of Orlanth Thunderous, giving Bind Wind.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

2 hours ago, David Scott said:

The only new thing is that Kolat is in the lightbringers book as an associate of Orlanth Thunderous, giving Bind Wind.

Am I incorrect in my understanding, then?

Will none of the upcoming Cults books have any substantive entry on Horned Man / Spirit Cults / Shamanism ?

C'es ne pas un .sig

23 minutes ago, g33k said:

Will none of the upcoming Cults books have any substantive entry on Horned Man / Spirit Cults / Shamanism ?

Not the Lightbringer book, so it may take a couple of years before the shamanism and spirit cults book gets out.

• Sad 1

59 minutes ago, g33k said:

Daka Fal is in the Lightbringer's book. 

Jakaleel should be in the Lunar book (which I believe is scheduled to be the first released in 2024). 

We don't know yet when the Horned Man/Spirit Cults book will come in the schedule.

8 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

We don't know yet when the Horned Man/Spirit Cults book will come in the schedule.

At the very end, after all the gods, would be unsurprising though.

When it comes to usefulness, I would take it before Sea or Chaos (and possibly even Sky). Chaos is already amply detailed in older books, and Sea is very conditional.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

At the very end, after all the gods, would be unsurprising though.

When it comes to usefulness, I would take it before Sea or Chaos (and possibly even Sky). Chaos is already amply detailed in older books, and Sea is very conditional.

"older books" have distinctly-limited availability.
What's in print for Chaos deities?
As such, I think the Chaos book is an important GM resource!

But honestly, I think Horned Man & Spirit-Cults is even more-important!

Edited by g33k

C'es ne pas un .sig

19 hours ago, g33k said:

See the list of cults and books here: 

https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/publishers/chaosium/runequest-gods-of-glorantha-previews-2019/

Note that the Horned man is not a cult, but effectively the shaman rules, making all spirit cults, subcults of the Horned Man.

• Thanks 1

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

15 hours ago, JDM said:

Doesn't this make it very important that the Spirit book is published soon?

That would certainly be my own feeling!
I am not Chaosium, though.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

18 hours ago, David Scott said:

TYVM!

18 hours ago, David Scott said:

Note that the Horned man is not a cult, but effectively the shaman rules, making all spirit cults, subcults of the Horned Man.

Actually, I see that the Horned Man is one cult with many subcults, but (if the indentation is meaningful) Hykim/Mikyh is another (with spirit-cults for Fralor, Telmor, etc).

C'es ne pas un .sig

22 hours ago, JDM said:

Doesn't this make it very important that the Spirit book is published soon?

The Shaman rules inc. examples of spirit cults are in RQG core.

• Helpful 1

Well, yes, I had noticed. 
My point was that the Spirit Book must surely be more than the two chapters in the core Runequest book reiterated, together with a list of spirits from the Prosopaedia and their associated Rune Spells from the Red Book of Magic, as we already have all that in those books. 
Shamanism and Spirit Cults is an area I would love to see developed, and I think needs development to work well at the table. As other threads are showing, people aren’t finding it easy to integrate shamans in to their games. 

6 hours ago, g33k said:

but (if the indentation is meaningful) Hykim/Mikyh is another (with spirit-cults for Fralor, Telmor, etc).

The difference here is that Hykim and Mikyh subcults are actually full cults (not spirit cults) that support a relevant culture. So rather than a paragraph and a Rune Spell they have much more (eg the Telmor cult is expanded from that is the RQ Bestiary and includes the extra Rune spell in the RBoM)

-----

On 10/9/2018 at 3:39 PM, Jeff said:

I'm not sure I would present Kolat for RQG at all like I did for Sartar Companion. 

Kolat is the source of Air Elementals. He's more of a name or title than anything else - Orlanth cultists just ask Orlanth to summon up an Air Elemental and use him to command them or dismiss them. 

I think the Kolat cult in the Sartar Companion is full of great stuff that should be kept - but it’s mostly a description of the Seven Winds spirit society (which includes Kolat), and a bunch of other spirit cults and minor spirit traditions that are also commonly known in Sartar, rather the the ‘cult of Kolat’. A typical Sartarite shaman is probably just as likely, or more, a Daka Fal shaman - many of whom might also be in the Kolat spirit cult, and regardless may get called ‘Kolati’.

But quite a few of the spirits and spirit cult abilities in the HeroQuest books might be best represented as other abilities rather than a Rune spell, such as knowing where to find particular useful spirits that you might be able to make pacts with, or finding particular spells, or make useful minor minor magic items. Some spirit traditions or spirit cults may grant particular shamanic abilities (like Black Fang knows the Conceal Fetch ability). Shamanism shouldn’t be just about Rune magic! 

Spirit tradition rules sound great! Looking forward to them. 

• Helpful 2

On 8/7/2023 at 3:30 AM, Akhôrahil said:

True for reasonably new characters, but a more experienced Orlanthi PC could do it several times, or all season with Extension (mine tend to have 10-20 Points of Rune Magic after six in-game years).

Possibly, in RQG anyway, but it takes time to get the Rune Magic back. At 10-20 points of Rune Magic could take a couple of weeks or even a month to get back, during which time the character is vulnerable.  Add Flight is a great target for Dispel Magic. 

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.