Prepping a scenario around Greenbrass...

Runeblogger

Hi,

I'm readying a scenario set around the village of Greenbrass from "The Money Tree" scenario.  ;-)

So I'm updating some of the NPCs of Greenbrass to the RQG rules and to the current Glorantha and I have some questions: 

1. Where would you place the village of Greenbrass?

I think it is somewhere in Sartar, probably close to the fringes, like south of Alone, close to the Indigo Mountains. According to "The Money Tree", Greenbrass is close to another village called Munn, but I haven't found anything about that village either. 

2. Is Henere Hannibal the Orlanthi chieftain of Greenbrass?

If yes, does he need to be a priest? Does these stats sound right for him?

Henere Hannibal: Human Male, 54 years old. Chieftain of Greenbrass. Initiate of Orlanth.

Armor / hit locations:

Head 6/6, R.Arm 6/5, L.Arm 6/5, Chest 6/7, Abdomen 6/6, R.Leg 7/6, L.Leg 7/6

Runes: Air 70%, Fire 50%, Water 20%, Fertility 60%, Harmony 70%, Truth 60%, Movement 50%, Man 60%.

STR: 12 CON: 15 SIZ: 14 DEX: 16 INT: 16 POW: 17 CHA: 16

Damage bonus: +1D4, SIZ SR: 2, DEX SR: 1, Healing rate: 3/week

Passions: Love (Greenbrass) 80%, Loyalty (People of Greenbrass) 80%, Honor 70%.

Weapons:

Shortsword 80% DMG 1D6+1+1D4 ENC 1 HP 12 SR 3
Small Shield 94% DMG 1D3+1D4 ENC 1 HP 8 SR 3
Composite Bow 63% DMG 1D8+1 ENC 2 HP 6 Range 100 Rate S/MR

Hit points: 17 Magic points: 17

Cult: Orlanth. Rank: Initiate. Rune Points: 7.

Spirit Magic: Binding-2, Bladesharp-1, Countermagic-3, Demoralize (2), Detect Life (1), Farsee (1), Heal-2, Protection-5, Speedart (1).

Rune Magic: Cloud Call, Dismiss Air Elemental (any size), Increase/Decrease Wind, Shield, Summon Air Elemental (any size), Summons of Evil, Wind Warp.

Skills: Fast Talk 102%, Orate 65%, Listen 66%, Scan 81%, Search 42%.

Notes: Henere is a charismatic village chief of Greenbrass. Everybody loves him. He only dons his armor when he is certain he is going to need it.

Gear: Shortsword, small shield, composite bow, 15 arrows. Quilted ring mail coif. Quilted ring mail hauberk and vambraces. Quilted bronze greaves. Ransom: 2000 L.

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

1 hour ago, Runeblogger said:

Running a campign in the division hills of NE sartar so I put it at beginning of the Indigo mtns south of troll lands 

Which helps explain the trolls and spider

[spoiler/]

• Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

4 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

I think it is somewhere in Sartar, probably close to the fringes, like south of Alone, close to the Indigo Mountains. According to "The Money Tree", Greenbrass is close to another village called Munn, but I haven't found anything about that village either. 

As noted previously, the new RQG Adventures Book/maps place it west of Clearwine in the Ernaldori territory. 

The RQ3 suggestion doesn't really put it into any tribal territory (more like along the Bush Range of Old Tarsh). You could probably put it into Dinacoli territory or the Far Place fairly readily.  Alone is getting a bit too wild IMO.

I originally used it as a village in Imther, so it can move around.

• Like 1

Gave it some thought @Runeblogger, I didn’t change stats for any of the encounters,  negative or otherwise. Now I will put a few spoilers and opinions below...

The encounters are mostly for purpose anyway. The duck introduces the ideas of ambush, being surrounded (intrigue, spying, scouting?), and negotiation, (have only had one party swarm the duck without parlay. Stats should not need to be changed. The spider must be that one encounter that can not be avoided (many ways to defeat it with or without combat, but avoided, not in RAW)  and the roc shows some things should always be avoided Stats, its friggin big who needs stats? Though if you want the party to have a change to kill it change the HP to RQ G and possible drop AP a point or two can not remember... (someday ask me about the one who did not run). Bears and falls and dips in a cold creek (oh my), well no need to change anything here. The Troll of course can be avoided but why? No, ignore the lower weapon skill of attack and parry, ignore defence, a few spells and skills might have to be changed but I really do not recall any. The armour will be better than it should so maybe drop it by one or two if your payers need this advantage. You will need a little work on SR but...Besides, a little handwaving, a little rule bending and spells and effects being unfamiliar can be more of a bonus than a negative I think. 

So SRs, a litte AP modding, Ignore low combat skill (use the higher one)... a little handwaving... and Bob's not only your uncle but serves amazing bison burgers in Pavis.

Now I have only got the party up to the spider this time when we took a break

[/spoiler]

Let me know how your group does if you can.

Cheers

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, lordabdul said:

Interesting that Jeff's map puts it down around Clearwine when the RQ3 book says it's 32km north of Apple Lane... I guess that's why we're supposed to take everything between RQ2 and RQG with a grain of salt 😅

Thanks for this! I looked hard for the place where this is said in the original scenario. The introduction to Greenbrass states that it lies between "a civilized region and barbarian lands", and 18 km east of the village of Munn. But then, in the map, there's a road going south where you can read "to Apple Lane 32 km". But I still think it is not the best location, since that region lacks a mountain that can act as the Thin Peak.

Anyway, these details are not to be taken too seriously, since Glorantha has changed a lot since then. For example, in the same scenario you have Esrola as the Corn Mother, and most of the male NPCs are Esrola initiates.

Greenbrass could be almost anywhere. I still like it close to the westernmost Indigo Mountain peaks...  :-P 

• Helpful 1

Read my Runeblog about RuneQuest and Glorantha at: http://elruneblog.blogspot.com.es/

On 9/5/2019 at 6:26 AM, Bill the barbarian said:

Gave it some thought @Runeblogger, I didn’t change stats for any of the encounters,  negative or otherwise. Now I will put a few spoilers and opinions below...

Reveal hidden contents

The encounters are mostly for purpose anyway. The duck introduces the ideas of ambush, being surrounded (intrigue, spying, scouting?), and negotiation, (have only had one party swarm the duck without parlay. Stats should not need to be changed. The spider must be that one encounter that can not be avoided (many ways to defeat it with or without combat, but avoided, not in RAW)  and the roc shows some things should always be avoided Stats, its friggin big who needs stats? Though if you want the party to have a change to kill it change the HP to RQ G and possible drop AP a point or two can not remember... (someday ask me about the one who did not run). Bears and falls and dips in a cold creek (oh my), well no need to change anything here. The Troll of course can be avoided but why? No, ignore the lower weapon skill of attack and parry, ignore defence, a few spells and skills might have to be changed but I really do not recall any. The armour will be better than it should so maybe drop it by one or two if your payers need this advantage. You will need a little work on SR but...Besides, a little handwaving, a little rule bending and spells and effects being unfamiliar can be more of a bonus than a negative I think. 

So SRs, a litte AP modding, Ignore low combat skill (use the higher one)... a little handwaving... and Bob's not only your uncle but serves amazing bison burgers in Pavis.

Now I have only got the party up to the spider this time when we took a break

[/spoiler]

Let me know how your group does if you can.

Cheers

Thanks, Bill!

I don't plan to run the same scenario though. I'm revising a scenario written by some friends that is set there 9 years after the original one... with duck bandits as the PCs! ^_^
And, of course, led by a certain veteran duck bandit...

It will be a one-shot. With Maximum Game Fun in mind.

Edited by Runeblogger
  • Like 2
  • Helpful 1

There is an Ernaldori village called Greenbrass near Clearwine. Whether it is the same village as in the Money Tree is totally up to you. Personally, I didn't like that scenario much and so I put that Greenbrass in Questworlds along with Panache.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Runeblogger said:

- Does Humakt forbid or frown upon his followers participating in ambushes?

I will bet that the question is often asked by Humakti....

Quoted from CoP Cult of Humakt input a pair of Humakti duelling at Tourney Altar. From the diary of Biturian Varosh

Each circled a while, undoubtedly casting spells. The swords glowed, their armor wavered, the air inside the circle seemed to ripple, and Alain sheared away Naimless' shield despite her parry. Naimless' sword glanced off Alain's iron armor. Alain struck again, but was parried. There was no return attack as Alain drove in, hoping to take blood before Naimless' next magic took effect.
He was too slow. A small salamander stuck him from behind before his sword thrust home. Naimless had to dodge his falling body. A moment later the elemental disappeared. The combat had taken less than a minute. 
Despite the damage, Alain rose. I could see his scorched flesh heal on his unarmored leg. Naimless used healing magic to put her fingers back in place. 
Alain accused Naimless of un-Humakti conduct, working himself into a rage. Naimless now was backed by her friends (including another Sword) since the fight was over, and she waited calmly, then said that Humakt could judge it. The god made no sign, so Naimless claimed victory. 

15 minutes ago, Runeblogger said:

- Would you be interested in looking hard into my scenario in search for typos before publication?

Love to...

4 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

Does Humakt forbid or frown upon his followers participating in ambushes?

Frown, most probably. Forbid, clearly not. Otherwise, the Geas 'Never participate in an ambush' (Result 51 to57) is stupid. Humakti that have the geas can not, others can.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...
On 9/19/2019 at 12:05 PM, Kloster said:

Frown, most probably. Forbid, clearly not. Otherwise, the Geas 'Never participate in an ambush' (Result 51 to57) is stupid. Humakti that have the geas can not, others can.

Sure

geas are also a "gift" from the god to explain what is expected by its followers

I'm pretty sure that a 100% devotion cultist will follow all behaviors with or without a geas

that 's a difference between a "good" and a "bad" cultist

• Like 1

2 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

I'm pretty sure that a 100% devotion cultist will follow all behaviors with or without a geas

Then why have geases?

2 hours ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

that 's a difference between a "good" and a "bad" cultist

That's what marks a zealot or fanatic. 

• Like 2

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

We just played that scenario. I located Greenbrass northeast from Clearwine and switched the road directions so that Apple Lane goes where Munn originally did... that makes sense as then Clearwine road leads to south.

Edited by Polaris
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

Then why have geases?

to teach you the right way. I am not sure, but it seems to me that I read that the previous count Solanthos was described following a lot of yelmalian geases (or all) when he had "by rules" only few.

4 hours ago, soltakss said:

That's what marks a zealot or fanatic. 

In some case yes.

But the difference can also be : I trust my god so I act like it does  OR I act like my god does because it ordered me to act in this way

a balance between faith, fear and free will

18 hours ago, Polaris said:

We just played that scenario. I located Greenbrass northeast from Clearwine and switched the road directions so that Apple Lane goes where Munn originally did... that makes sense as then Clearwine road leads to south.

How did it go? 

(was someone kidnapped by a giant bird?)  🙂 
Edited by Runeblogger

6 hours ago, Runeblogger said:

How did it go? 
(was someone kidnapped by a giant bird?)  🙂

Oh yes, our Noble from Clearwine was taken by xxx, but our Healer was fast and cast Sleep to the bird so the Noble survived with some bruises. Though that guy was clumsy enough as earlier he had hit himself into leg with sword while fighting with that xxx and later woke up the xxx in the xxx, cause his cuirass armour kept so much noise 😂 but some days later that Noble saved the whole bunch and Gringle's Spawnshop basically alone. I connected those classic stories, so that instead of Munn they went to Apple Lane as it was Gringle who paid for the silver leaves of the Money Tree.

EDIT...xxx 😅

Edited by Polaris