Free BRP Quickstart Released

Rurik

Guest Vile Traveller

So it's your baby, Jason? :thumb:

An unexpected gift to see this free of charge - I would have paid for it. Damn, it's Easter, no office printer for four days!

Edited by Vile

So it's your baby, Jason? :thumb:

Yeah... I suggested it after turning in the core manuscript and wrote it right afterwards.

I'd have liked to do more with it, but the point was to keep it simple and lean, so it could be easily used by players.

Yippie!:thumb:

Uh-oh. "Download requires login". So someone has to sign up with Chaosium to download the BRP Lite PDF. Not good. We all know how much people like to sign up and give contact and marketing information to companies online, especially to look at a sample/trail version.

I wonder if Chaosium will make it okay for people to host this elsewhere (like, say, here). Considering that the who point of BRP Lite is to get people interested in BRP enough to buy the full game.

Edited by Atgxtg

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

I wonder if Chaosium will make it okay for people to host this elsewhere (like, say, here). Considering that the who point of BRP Lite is to get people interested in BRP enough to buy the full game.

I agree with hosting BRP lite everywhere. The only reason I downloaded it from Chaosium was because I already had an account there. People tend to give things a miss if they have to put a little effort in to try something.

I have already purchased the full BRP book. However, the rules lite book is perfect to hand out to friends to introduce them to the system, rather than handing them a 400 page book for them to absorb without them losing patience.

This was one of the strengths of the original 16 page BRP.

The one complaint I have about the new BRP book, is that it needs a short 16 page introduction in the front (similar format to original BRP) to hook new people by providing quick results with enough rules to play a game, and showing how simple the core system is. The full rules and other introductions then follow this. The original Mekton RPG book used a similar format (simple, short, playable and complete introduction, then expanded on this with the full set of rules, repeated in detail with an expanded framework).

The "Basic" of BRP seems to have been hidden in the new book. I still like it a lot and enjoy the effort and creativity behind it, however I am not new to RPG's and I am not new to BRP. I do wonder how well the new BRP 400 page tome is received by people who are new to BRP and/or RPG's.

Edited by dragonewt

Some of those Adventures mention rules not in the Quickstart. Looking over the WWII adventure it uses both Burst and Implale, neither of which are in the rules section.

I haven't looked over all of them but that one jumped out at me.

Still it is a great idea to include some adventures.

Help kill a Trollkin here.

The resurgence of Basic Roleplaying, and especially the publication of a free set of quick-start rules, seems to have stolen GORE's thunder. (On the other hand, if GORE's existence prodded Chaosium to get busy, it may have achieved its purpose.) I've got a hard copy of GORE (55 pages) and PDFs of BRP Quick-Start Edition (48 pages) and the Call of Cthulhu introductory rules (22 pages). I'm working on perusing them all, but I wondered if anyone else had had a chance to compare and contrast 'em.

One difference I notice is that despite its slightly shorter length (three of those 55 GORE pages are legal notices, and the primary font size is larger, meaning less material per page), BRP Quick-Start managed to squeeze in mini-adventures, a character sheet, and some critter stats, making it a more immediately playable product for newbies like me.

Guest Vile Traveller

If I had a bounty of spare time, I'd work on quickstart versions of Futureworld, Magic World, and Super-World.

Quick! Someone give Jason a Bounty! :cool:

Oddly enough, I can see one from my window. Made of wood and canvas, though, not spare time ...

• 2 weeks later...

Could you be more specific? I don't see anything wrong at first or second glance with page 15.

After edit: Just to take my own advice, I'm using Windows XP, and printed it out double-sided (odd then even pages).

Edited by ORtrail

Could you be more specific? I don't see anything wrong at first or second glance with page 15.

After edit: Just to take my own advice, I'm using Windows XP, and printed it out double-sided (odd then even pages).

Sorry. Not with the image, but with the actual act of printing. It finally came out but it took forever, and that on a fairly beefy postscript3 printer.

I was using Acrobat Pro 8 on OS X 10.5, and I was duplexing also (in printer).

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary