maximum Power stat

galafrone

i have done a ruling at my table that wasnt "legal" so..

i allowed my wife (yes, i was somehow biased), that plays a priestess of Ernalda, to get the 1d3 after defeating a very strong disease spirit having 21 power points

well, she converted those points as soon as she reached the temple but still..

5 minutes ago, galafrone said:

i allowed my wife (yes, i was somehow biased), that plays a priestess of Ernalda, to get the 1d3 after defeating a very strong disease spirit having 21 power points

Was it a fun game?  If so, who cares?

Decide what you're doing in future, and if that's a precedent for your game or not, and then stick with it.

Those the gods love, they give gifts to, and obviously that's what happened.  The question of whether the gifts keep on going is up to you and your table's enjoyment of the game.

• Like 1

well, my lady was obviously fuckin happy (and i was too)

i am not "against"  my table, au contraire… but yes, i usually play by the rules, so now that ruling should be reversed but no, i will keep it

and i will keep it even for other times when and if will happen again. but no, i will not have them abuse or exploit the mechanic (so no summoning of weak disease spirits for sake of pow gains).

that combat was epic in nature and that reward was well deserved

Ernalda loves her daughters :)

5 hours ago, galafrone said:

well, my lady was obviously fuckin happy (and i was too)

i am not "against"  my table, au contraire… but yes, i usually play by the rules, so now that ruling should be reversed but no, i will keep it

and i will keep it even for other times when and if will happen again. but no, i will not have them abuse or exploit the mechanic (so no summoning of weak disease spirits for sake of pow gains).

that combat was epic in nature and that reward was well deserved

One option is to follow the precedent as-set:  you can go "over" the max, but they are temporary -- gone when used, cannot be worshiped-back.

It pulls closer to the RAW -- as you seem to prefer that -- but doesn't leave your players "out in the cold" when they win their great victory.  And it seems to be just exactly what happened in your game ... ?

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 minutes ago, gochie said:

Characteristics can't be raised past the racial max. By definition, racial max stats are "non-raisable". 

Of course they can! The RQ:G book already lists a number of ways... Spirit magic, sorcery and Rune Magic all have spells that can do it. As said above, shamans get access to Shamanic Abilities that specifically allow for POW to go over regular species Max.

And... Chaos 😃

But, species max can't be increased by normal mundane means...

1 minute ago, Shiningbrow said:

Of course they can! The RQ:G book already lists a number of ways... Spirit magic, sorcery and Rune Magic all have spells that can do it. As said above, shamans get access to Shamanic Abilities that specifically allow for POW to go over regular species Max.

And... Chaos 😃

But, species max can't be increased by normal mundane means...

Oh for sure. I was responding to the "gifts of Humakt don't increase stats past racial Max" comments. 

4 minutes ago, gochie said:

Oh for sure. I was responding to the "gifts of Humakt don't increase stats past racial Max" comments. 

Apologies!

However, that looks like a house rule. That limitation isn't given. And, although obviously a different god, Yelmalian Gifts do specifically state "no limit".

7 hours ago, galafrone said:

i allowed my wife (yes, i was somehow biased), that plays a priestess of Ernalda, to get the 1d3 after defeating a very strong disease

I guess you can call the divorce lawyer and tell him to stand down then.:)

Now, now, if you are going to cheat do it the legal way... HeroQuest!

If you play strictly by the book many smart players will use the stratagem of keeping a little below racial max by visiting the temple for spells before hand for that very reason. Gives one a better chance of increasing as well.

7 hours ago, Diana Probst said:

Was it a fun game?  If so, who cares?

And if course this is always a solution MGF and all.

And MGF too I will wager!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

14 hours ago, galafrone said:

Let say i have pow 21, i encounter a disease spirit and i defeat him

can i gain power from that fight ?

or being at my racial max all the pow is lost ?

As a side note, the POW gain from defeating a Disease Spirit seems to me like a typo in the rules, but I digress...

Edited by Mugen

11 minutes ago, Mugen said:

As a side note, the POW gain from defeating a Disease Spirit seems to me like a typo in the rules, but I digress...

Can’t cite the exact location, but this has been confirmed as RAW and RAI but one of the high mucky-mucks.

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

ahhhh there is an errata about that ?

well, this means that the experience was "once-in-a-kind" so, but the session was a lot of fune, 4 tough disease spirits going on 4 different characters, each trying to save herself/himself

one of them succumbed and was going to die, saved just by a divine intervention leaving him at POW 2..

i will not go back, but i will check the topic before going into this again with the fully Agreement at my table

thanks all contributes

• Thanks 1

On 2/19/2020 at 9:22 PM, galafrone said:

Let say i have pow 21, i encounter a disease spirit and i defeat him

can i gain power from that fight ?

or being at my racial max all the pow is lost ?

In RQ2, you could get a POW gain roll and if you succeeded you could spend the POW gained but not keep it.

This was especially important for Priests who got a bonus to their species max POW for the purposes of POW Gain rolls, I think. In RQG, Priests have a +20% to their chance of gaining POW, so someone at Species Maximum POW has a 0% chance (but 01-05 always succeeds) but a Priest would have a 20% chance of gaining POW. They would have to spend it immediately, probably filling up their Rune Pool.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:10 PM, galafrone said:

or there are ways in wich a human can exceed that limit ?

Chaos Features increase POW by a certain amount and I assume also increases Species maximum POW accordingly. so, someone with 3D6 POW who gains +3D6 POW through a Chaotic Feature would have a species Maximum POW of 42.

I play that some HeroQuests can increase Species Maximum POW.

Magic can increase Species maximum POW

Casting my mind back, didn't Eurmal's crumbs give a boost to Species Maximum POW?

Being worshipped probably increases Species Maximum POW.

Edited by soltakss

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

22 minutes ago, soltakss said:

Chaos Features increase POW by a certain amount and I assume also increases Species maximum POW accordingly. so, someone with 3D6 POW who gains +3D6 POW through a Chaotic Feature would have a species Maximum POW of 42.

Maybe, but that isn't a given. No reason why chaos should be consistent or logical. I'd say no, in the same way that an average person taking "+1 POW" from Humakt or Yelmalio doesn't increase their species max by 1.