Gem stones of Power?

HeartQuintessence

2 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

So  I had a weird thought I was listening to these lovely people sing :Song of Durin A Cappella (Complete Edition) - Clamavi De Profundis

Does Glorantha have  an idea of gem stones being able to hold power? Like I assume a fetch for a spirit might have to do something like that. But a gem stone might be Mostali I think?

As a complete aside, I love Clamavi De Profundis, and I listened to that very song while I was homesick in India back in 2017. Lovely piece.

Edited by Sir_Godspeed

3 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

So  I had a weird thought I was listening to these lovely people sing :Song of Durin A Cappella (Complete Edition) - Clamavi De Profundis

Does Glorantha have  an idea of gem stones being able to hold power? Like I assume a fetch for a spirit might have to do something like that. But a gem stone might be Mostali I think?

Yes, it very much does so.  POW storing crystals have been a thing since the very beginning!  They are thought to be the blood shed during gods' combat.

Look here:

https://www.chaosium.com/content/FreePDFs/RuneQuest/Rune Fixes/RQ - Rune Metal and Magic Crystals.pdf

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

Yes. The treasure chapter in RuneQuest 2 / RuneQuest Classic lets you randomly create treasures. You can have a gemstone that is also a POW storing crystal. It can he mounted in jewellery or be a single gem ranging from Superb Gemstones a pretty stone. Although not part of RQG, I still use it as handy resource (ignoring the costs). Likewise Plunder / Classic Plunder gives Fire Crystals (powered crystals) set into jewellery.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

17 hours ago, HeartQuintessence said:

Have not seen you for a while, hope you are well, but in any case here you are again asking all the right questions. Yay! Nothing to add, but hey this is BRP central, your home of info dumps ya never even asked fer... Not only are crystals the blood of the gods, but metals (precious and more mundane) are the bones of the gods who fell in that great conflagration!

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

It sounds like the OP wants certain gemstones to have unique magically properties.

Such as - effectively a Spell Storing powered crystal that always retains its one (or more??) Spells - probably without the requirement to attune, or spend MPs... Basically like an enchantment (or HQ) effect. Or, at the very least, when using Gem X, it's easier/costs less to cast certain spells, or enchant certain effects.

Eg, when you hold this clear gemstone and say the words "A Elbereth Gilthonial", it sheds light as per a 3pt Light spell... (sort of Iike enchanted gold)

Officially, no. As GM, do what you want!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shiningbrow said:

Officially, no. As GM, do what you want!

Thats what I think too

the GM's choice of the frequency of such material is the most important :

if you can find few "so powerful" jewels in dragon pass (or any big region), it is aligned with the "official" world. The jewels are relics of gods and have some exotic powers.

If there are a lot of "powerful" jewels in dragon pass, your glorantha is diverging a lot, I think. That's a point to keep in mind

when you see "official RQG plunder material" it is very different (less powerful) than D&D or Tolkien world's RPG treasures

22 hours ago, g33k said:

Also (in case it isn't clear above) there are also regular jewels -- just pretty, no magic/POW/etc.

I think “large jewels” are always magical crystals; smaller ones could be powerless.

I have an old RQ3 scenario where players are performing a pilgrimage/this world HQ to a drusy where a droplet of storm god blood had fallen into a son of Veskarthan's magma. The drusy is spacious enough for two or three people to stand in, and has several openings that let in the wind, and the occasional pilgrim.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis