Announcing the QuestWorlds SRD: the rules-lite and prep-lite RPG engine

MOB

I am reading the SRD and I like it a lot so far.

I have two design questions (for which I apologize if it isn't the place where I should have posted them):

Why Outcome Points (Group Simple Contests), Resource Points (Advanced Group Simple Contests) and Resolution Points (Scored Contests)? I thought a common name would have been better as one of the big problems with QuestWorlds (as HeroQuest before) seem to be one of vocabulary. I think it can puzzle a lot of people or make the system appear more  intricate than it really is.

Why isn't there any Impaired outcome in a Chained Contest and why is a Hurt outcome directly escalating to Injured instead of Impaired?

Edited by Corvantir
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
59 minutes ago, Nevermet said:

i hope I'm not being a pest, but is there any official word on the status of Cosmic Zap?  I thought I should ask on the (semi-?) official thread about Questworlds.

Related to this, what's the status on the actual core rulebook? Should b we expect it soon or more around 2021?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Seems like this is getting pretty dusty.

I've been running HW/HQ since 2000, originally using a pre-release version of the original rules. 

From RQ1 to RQ3, I ran a Glorantha game before that. But HQ really captures the world best in my opinion.

Any word on how this development is coming along?

On 8/23/2024 at 10:33 AM, Different Games said:

Seems like this is getting pretty dusty.

I've been running HW/HQ since 2000, originally using a pre-release version of the original rules. 

From RQ1 to RQ3, I ran a Glorantha game before that. But HQ really captures the world best in my opinion.

Any word on how this development is coming along?

World last Fall was PDF in the Spring and print in Summer. Obviously, that hasn't happened. I think the delay at this point is about the company's overall release schedule and marketing bandwidth. I appreciate that they'd like to give the launch enough attention and resources to enable its success, yet also despair at the possibility of having to wait unknown months (years?) until there's a big gap between hot RQ & CoC releases. :sigh:

Edited by JonL
  • Like 1

Well the recent post made in the Magic World forums that CoC and Glorantha/RQ are their main product lines and anything else had to be carefully chosen probably means that QuestWorlds is part of the "Anything else" category and has to wait alongside BRP and Pendragon for opportunities. Let's face it, if Questworlds was a high prioty item it would still be called HeroQuest and Chadoium would have kept the HQ brand.

So whatever releases QW get will probably be slow in coming unless some third party steps in. And I think that third party support for QW probably isn't going to be much of a thing now that the people who were doing it now have in house games systems to use. 

Maybe some RQ supplments could bewritten with both RQ and QW stats? That might revive QW.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

7 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Maybe some RQ supplments could bewritten with both RQ and QW stats? That might revive QW.

Sadly, I doubt that will happen (though I would be happy to be wrong). Doing that risks cannibalizing RQ sales.

SDLeary

2 hours ago, SDLeary said:

Sadly, I doubt that will happen (though I would be happy to be wrong). Doing that risks cannibalizing RQ sales.

SDLeary

I doubt it will happen too. Not because it could hurt RQ sales (I don't think it would), but because they seemed to have dropped HeroQuest now that they have RQ. I don't blame them since RQ always had a larger fanbase, and so will sell better.

I don't see QW doing much without Glorantha as a setting or some third party support. I figure it's status is similar to what BRP's was before WotC started shootings themselves in the foot, only worse. At least BRP uses the same core mechanics as RQ, and CoC. But QW is it's own unique thing. Glorantha fans can switch (back) to RQ. So it's mostly going to be fans of the game mechanics left. 

It's kinda like the situation with Stormbringer in the 1980s, when RQ and COC got much more support. At least Chasoium owns the rights to QW, it isn't a licensed product so it has a brighter future than Stormbringer, Ringworld, ElfQuest or Prince Valiant. Besides, anyone who like QW/HQ/HW probably has at least one copy of the rules they can use to play it. And as the UGE shows, plans can change depending on what happens. If some third party makes a go with QW and it takes off, then it would get more support.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

QW is dead in the waters. As Chaosium is not releasing anything, nobody wants to commit to it and thus Chaosium wont release anything.

What we do have, thanks to the generosity of Chaosium, is the SRD and what you can build for your own game on top of that.

The game engine has seen different variations, like the obtuse HQ:G and the well presented but quite different HQ 1st ed. I started a new game in Sun County last night using QW in the HQ 1st ed mold, and I think it will allow me to play a game free from 1970-ies clunkiness (RQ) and that's what the SRD can provide you with. I'm at peace with that.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2024 at 11:12 AM, AndreasDavour said:

... As Chaosium is not releasing anything ...

Has Chaosium stated that they aren't releasing  anything?  Linky/cite, please?

Last I heard, they still were planning it; just not committing to any specific schedule...

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2024 at 5:02 AM, g33k said:

Has Chaosium stated that they aren't releasing  anything?  Linky/cite, please?

Last I heard, they still were planning it; just not committing to any specific schedule...

They have stated things which we have not yet seen, so I prefer just not to hold my breath. Also, the general tone when the subject appears. But, make of it what you will.

Maybe it's mostly disillusionment speaking on my part..

On 9/13/2024 at 3:02 AM, AndreasDavour said:

... I prefer just not to hold my breath ...

This certainly seems the path of wisdom!

Also the path to a reasonable blood-oxygenation level.

Edited by g33k
  • Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig