Sun Wheel Ruin

Erol of Backford

Does anyone have info on the Sun Wheel Ruin. I didn't see anything when I searched but may have missed it, please post the thread title if I did.

Sun Wheel Ruin: These ancient ruins are associated with the now-extinct race called the Gold Wheel Dancers or the Silver People. They were part of the Unity Council at the Dawn, but died out in the First Age.

Thank you all!

image.png.d5bc7ff914619dc5818e3e76ea3f48e3.png

Edited by Erol of Backford
added info
  • Helpful 1

47 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Does anyone have info on the Sun Wheel Ruin. I didn't see anything when I searched but may have missed it, please post the thread title if I did.

It may have been known as the city of Elempur within the Godtime Empire of Dara Happan.  It would have been sacked and destroyed by the Orlanthi leaving only a few Dancers behind.  One dancer went north to Dara Happa to serve as the Empire's Bow God but the others remained behind.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Does anyone have info on the Sun Wheel Ruin

You found half of what there is.

But it was the home of the Gold Wheel Dancers, that enigmatic race that died out during the First Age (the last living Gold Wheel Dancer, Speaking Wheel, was part of the Broken Council that constructed Nysalor). 

Have a look at the Guide vol 2, page 708 (and map on p.709):

Gold Wheel: This golden temple was home to a handful of demigods called the Gold Wheel Dancers. They helped found the Unity Council, but soon the last remaining Gold Wheel Dancers left the world. Only about ten were left by the Dawn.

It's feasible the temple is a surviving remnant of Elempur as @metcalph suggests, or not - you just have to decide for your Glorantha whether that is an interesting possibility.

Basically figure it was some sort of ziggurat-like temple.  Maybe had ramps instead of stairs winding up around it to accommodate the Dancers.  Whatever was gold is long, long gone.  The Gold Wheel Dancers were artisans and could become useful tools, so perhaps there is interesting iconography of the Celestial Court in whatever remains.  But,... Arkat's armies fought their way through here.  Both DH and EWF occupied the area in the 2nd Age, and there are nearby Sun Dome Temples.  Alakoring and the Sairdites of Verenmars would have fought through here driving back the EWF.  I would not expect anything beyond ruins of a very, very ancient temple, and perhaps that barely peaks out of the dirt, grass, etc that has buried it (think something like the earthen mounds of Troy or the cities of Mesopotamia).

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Go big or stay home? I'll use something like this but 85% destroyed. Maybe it had gilded terracotta surfaces which most were taken away to build elsewhere besides those blocks buried beneath an awful lot of rubble. I think Troy was estimated to have been built on top of 8 or 9 times? 

Extend some rivers add a little lake. I found a bit more info but not much to go on.

image.png.f83dd0bffd7ebeb0526e3747f2a36f2f.png image.png.b6516459e64ec0df52a3fd4e9d41afbe.png image.png.013b098cc2a4ef7d990f3c9a15aab6f3.png 

An extinct race of creatures.

They are associated with the Sun Wheel Ruins in what is now Tarsh

• They fought in the Unity Battle
  • They helped found the Unity Council
  • There were only ten left at the Dawn
  • They died out during the Dawn Age
  • They helped form the Unity Council and died out (or disappeared) after that.
  • Some say that they transformed themselves into something else at a critical junture of their existence.
  • Known Wheel Dancers include

27 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

Maybe a Heroquest to the Unity Battle would allow one to interact with this Florencia character and learn to spin gold from thread? Are the Gold Wheel Dancers giants by chance?

Pinchining was at best man-sized in its spinning wheel form.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

8 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Are the Gold Wheel Dancers giants by chance?

No, man sized but were friends of the ancient giants.

If you have the RQ Classic Pavis book, look in the Cradle scenario for Pinchining - he is a Gold Wheel Dancer returned to the world.

11 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Maybe it had gilded terracotta surfaces which most were taken away to build

Terracotta does not sound right.  The Gold Wheel Dancers are a folk of Fire, Movement (and I think the Man Rune).  They are magical (with powers to transmute themselves and other objects), they are golden and work with gold.  They are not Earth folk nor Lodrili who'd wallow in the mud.  

There were never a large number of these folk either.  However, they might have traded with dwarfs to raise the temple, or they might have transmuted metals, fire, or even light to construct their temple.  

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Terracotta does not sound right.

How about gilded/gold leaf on "whatever" building base material, to me it wouldn't matter what the base substance was, whatever appealed to the Gold Wheel Dancers, they something they liked or was local or maybe they had something exotic for the region brought in as they could afford to pay, maybe the dwarves made something, form-set fire? Who knows they may have befriended them back then, that is unless they were on apposing sides of the Unity Battle (not looked into that yet).

The idea of what an ancient glimmering construct set in the foothills of the mountains, seems glorious in the sunlight. Now I just need to create some sort of subsurface labyrinth with a lost temple, catacombs, etc. in or associated

What would the temple be dedicated to? What year was in founded? What would the cult powers have been for the Sun Wheel Dancers?

I assume some Elmal/Yelmalio would be in an ecstatic mood just being there on some sort of Hero Quest? Maybe they meet Pinchining when they are on the quest?

Any ideas on who Florencia Sillinhalia and Speaknig Wheel were?

Thank you everyone for input!

Oh, last thing, I assume the extinct Sun Dome to east of the Sun Wheel city/settlement would have been 100's of years after it was abandoned, closer to the Dawn or could any Sun Domes have been around that long ago? Not important just curious what would have been around there at the time the settlement was in its heyday?

image.png.cbba6c6e831a85590a9d3bb8d80d7fdd.png

I assume the extinct Sun Dome to east of the Sun Wheel city/settlement would have been 100's of years after it was abandoned, closer to the Dawn or could any Sun Domes have been around that long ago? Not important just curious what would have been around there at the time the settlement was in its heyday?

The extinct Sun Dome would be 2nd Age site abandoned after the warriors joined the True Golden Horde and destroyed in the Dragonkill.  Quite likely it was razed by a dragon (or perhaps trolls in the aftermath).  Consider it to be a typical Sun Dome temple but completely shattered, its wyter extinguished, etc.

In Pavis & Big Rubble there isn't must more

There's also the description of Pinchining IIRC.

What would the temple be dedicated to? What year was in founded? What would the cult powers have been for the Sun Wheel Dancers?

Temple is dedicated to the... Sun!  (Or if you prefer Fire/Light.  They would have worshipped some incarnation of Aether/Yelm and you might well think of them as dedicated servants.)

Remember this was built in the Golden Age, long, long before the Dawn.  Whatever was left at the Dawn was likely largely ruins even then having survived the Lesser and Greater Darkness.

The Gold Wheel Dancers are inherently magical beings.  No need for cult powers - they are like fire or light, and also associated with Movement (transformative powers) and Harmony.  They can naturally/inherently change form, commonly as useful tools (if you follow the possible outline of them from the Broken Council LARP of the 90s - fyi, I played Speaking Wheel, the last of the Gold Wheel Dancers).  They might transform into a Golden Hammer, a Golden Nail, a Golden Harp or Trumpet, etc.  There are suggestions that the cult of Lokarnos worships them in their final form: Golden Wheels; or alternately that they survived by transforming into the golden Wheels.

Pinchining returned to Life (in Greg's campaign) when Urrgh the Ugly worshiped a golden coin in the Underworld and rolled a 01 critical.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Pinchining returned to Life (in Greg's campaign) when Urrgh the Ugly worshiped a golden coin in the Underworld and rolled a 01 critical.

The god learner in me wants to see what happens when you worship a lunar, clack, or bolg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jajagappa said:

There are suggestions that the cult of Lokarnos worships them in their final form: Golden Wheels; or alternately that they survived by transforming into the golden Wheels.

So does that make the wheel coin sentient or did they survive by giving up Thier awareness to become something valuable and used by other entities who would also propagate Thier race. ( like the praxian herd beasts though less mobile)

Edited by Ironwall
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I feel like a Noob but what is IIRC?

If I recall/remember correctly.

I had to look it up on Wikipedia, though.

Alternatively, it could be:

• International Integrated Reporting Council
  • IIRC, a reporting mark for Indiana Interstate Railway
  • International Interdisciplinary Research Center, Sigmund Freud University Vienna, Austria
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, metcalph said:

By the way, what does BTW mean?

I am not sure, I have not looked that one up.

• BTW (company), a Chinese manufacturer
  • British Traditional Wicca, a set of Wiccan traditions originating in the New Forest region
  • Buckfast Tonic Wine, a fortified wine licensed from Buckfast Abbey in Devon
  • The Brotherhood of Timber Workers, 1910s labor union
  • Burlington Trailways, an Inter-city bus company
  • btw - ISO 639-3 code for Butuanon language
  • BTW - IATA airport code for Batu Licin Airport, Indonesia
  • Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Don’t joke too much

i just understood imho few weeks ago

and I had absolutely no idea what iirc meant too (and some other ur-runes some of you use 😝)

@soltakssraised the big issue, google is not a friend to understand such points

just to be sure IMG = in my glorantha ?

Edited by French Desperate WindChild

16 hours ago, jajagappa said:

The extinct Sun Dome would be 2nd Age site abandoned after the warriors joined the True Golden Horde and destroyed in the Dragonkill.  Quite likely it was razed by a dragon (or perhaps trolls in the aftermath).  Consider it to be a typical Sun Dome temple but completely shattered, its wyter extinguished, etc.

I don't think that's right. This Sun Dome Temple was lost to an alliance of trolls and Orlanthi, possibly in 1302 by a map in the Sourcebook.

Guide: "Billiz: The inhabitants of these foothills
below Soren Mountain are traditionalist
Orlanthi who defend their sheep herds against
a local tribe of Telmori and from trolls who
raid from their dark queendom beyond the
Rockwoods. There is an extinguished Sun
Dome Temple in these hills, a casualty of
an alliance between the Halikiv trolls and
Orlanthi rebels."

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I feel like a Noob but what is IIRC?

IIRC = if I recall correctly

9 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I'd love 2 $20 gold pieces that reproduced littler $10 and $5 gold pieces!

That's the Lokarnos spell, Coin Wheel. 😉 

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

British Traditional Wicca, a set of Wiccan traditions originating in the New Forest region

Sounds like the most relevant!  (Unless in this context its Brolian Traditional Wicca...)

9 hours ago, Ironwall said:

So does that make the wheel coin sentient or did they survive by giving up Thier awareness to become something valuable and used by other entities who would also propagate Thier race.

I don't believe wheels are currently sentient.  Were they put to sleep?  Or survive by giving up awareness?  Could they be reawoken?  Perhaps but only in the Underworld where their spirits can be rejoined to their bodies.  

• Helpful 1

19 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Oh, last thing, I assume the extinct Sun Dome to east of the Sun Wheel city/settlement would have been 100's of years after it was abandoned, closer to the Dawn or could any Sun Domes have been around that long ago? Not important just curious what would have been around there at the time the settlement was in its heyday?

Yes, definitely hundreds of years. 

1 hour ago, French Desperate WindChild said:

just to be sure IMG = in my glorantha ?

"In My Game".

• Thanks 1