World Lore (05)

Erol of Backford

I have read through a few threads for lore, common knowledge, cult lore, etc. and am wondering if a young PC is traveling extensively, Heortland, Nochet, Crystal City, Clearwine, Boldhome, Dwarf Mine, Alone, Munchrooms, Pimpers Block, Pavis, Garhound, Corflu, Refuge, etc. and it takes then say 3 seasons plus holy time how often would you as a GM give them improvements on their World Lore, Cult Lore, Plant Lore, etc? Obviously they would need to experience said items/subjects directly while traveling in Glorantha but as the actual player learns about Glorantha wouldn't the PC's also?

What is everyone's thoughts as to how much the PC's skills/abilities would go up? 

The RQ3 Player's Book states the skill goes up via research so wouldn't you agree the research is the actual travel as well as any book/scroll/library sponsored oration?

image.png.312f78185e104ebb9ce3edf381400f65.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

I have read through a few threads for lore, common knowledge, cult lore, etc. and am wondering if a young PC is traveling extensively, Heortland, Nochet, Crystal City, Clearwine, Boldhome, Dwarf Mine, Alone, Munchrooms, Pimpers Block, Pavis, Garhound, Corflu, Refuge, etc. and it takes then say 3 seasons plus holy time how often would you as a GM give them improvements on their World Lore, Cult Lore, Plant Lore, etc? Obviously they would need to experience said items/subjects directly while traveling in Glorantha but as the actual player learns about Glorantha wouldn't the PC's also?

I would treat this as an occupation. Choose skills that would be suitable for an occupation of traveller... For example I might choose twixt: Drive (?) or Ride (mount type) or Boat, Bargain, Speak Other Language, Bureaucracy, Insight (species/other), Survival, Elder Race Lore, Homeland Lore (other), Customs (All Others), Lore (Other), Conceal. Some of these will be conditional.

Then I would use the Between Adventures section and as it suggests choose 4 skills to be given an experience check and possibly one skill to practice or train, each season you are pursuing this "occupation"... If worship has been successfully led during the travels give a POW gain check for that season. 

Remember there is a great chance of getting experience ticks as you travel as well

Also, remember there are skills that also give a gain with use over a week or more such as Ride...

ETA

what ever happened to World Lore (at 05%, or at anything really)?

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Thanks 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

Lore skills have always been a bit off, because they are very slow to increase.  I did a back of the envelope calculation and, as I recall, Sorala (the Lhankor Mhy RQG pregen) should be about 30 years old to have those skill levels.

We allow for normal checks, with GM permission.  Kind of like the Ride skill increase noted by Bill.

• Like 2

The way these Lore skills are presented, they look a bit like formal training.or book learning. Maybe to increase these lores, the traveler has to write (or dictate) a travelogue and deposite this with a Knowledge Temple (or a priest for one of these). Producing the essay to the temple might be both the training and the training cost.

This obviously should be more than the "covering the research cost" snippets found in the Jonstown Compendium entries in the RQ2 Companion, more like the contributions of the excerpt that came in Troll Pak.

There was a short post by Jeff about learning from books or scrolls two to four years ago. Creating documents that work to raise a lore up to a low total at full value and offer a training chance above that level (basically reading the document might give you an experience tick for a skill that doesn't have one, or in this case, creating the document) could be a way to handle this in a way that is friendlier to both GM and players.

Does the Weapons and Equipment Guide offer anything helpful in the cost to produce such a document?

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

It seems reasonable that someone with fairly intensive interactions with other cultures, areas, etc., should gain a baseline level of related lore, whatever their occupation. A Sartarite warrior who spends a season or two living with a Bison tribe clan should gain some insights into Praxian lore, etc. just through their day to day involvement in the life of the clan and/or spending time with clan members. Granted, you can easily argue that the effectiveness of this sort of informal education/training should, at best, be considered on a case-by-case basis. It might also be a fun source of adventure/role-playing fodder - e.g., the PC learns about some taboo by accidently breaking it or mistakenly insults someone, etc.

• Like 5
  • Helpful 1

In a similar vein. I think time spent in a foreign land should give an opportunity lo learn a little of the language.  It is not specified in the RQG rules.  But when I had a Sartarite party in Balazar I gave them a seasonal check to learn a little Balazaring. Even without an instructor.  Just a little, like 1D6 or 1D3.

And I would do that first before they get to learn any local lore. Unless they are told the lore by a speaker of a language they understand.  

In the case of characters adventuring as Jo Mith's employees. It should be understood that the boss will tell them what he thinks they need to know to accomplish tasks, to not irritate the locals, etc..  so this is instruction, even though not formal study.

• Like 1

With the "standard" cadence of one adventure per season, and six weeks or so of occupation in between, you get occupational skill increases. I forget the details. If instead of an occupation you are travelling through foreign lands then I'd write up a "traveller" occupation to use instead of the adventurer's regular occupation so you can pick homeland lore, culture, language, etc. skills to get increases in.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, PhilHibbs said:

I forget the details. If instead of an occupation you are travelling through foreign lands then I'd write up a "traveller" occupation to use instead of the adventurer's regular occupation so you can pick homeland lore, culture, language, etc. skills to get increases in.

That sounds like a great idea, wish I had thought of it, oh wait a minute... for details on this have a look at my previous post

• Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

22 hours ago, Joerg said:

The way these Lore skills are presented, they look a bit like formal training.or book learning. ...

This. 

So if anything, I would think that traveling to locations where you stay for a decent period of time might result in a Folklore (location) type knowledge. A Lhankor Mhy initiate may be disciplined enough to pull out checks in individual Lores from Folklore, but only if they commit to further Research of what they have learned during the time between adventures, preferably in the area where they learned the Folklore.

SDLeary

• Like 2

On 10/8/2022 at 10:44 PM, Bill the barbarian said:

That sounds like a great idea, wish I had thought of it, oh wait a minute... for details on this have a look at my previous post

On 10/8/2022 at 1:17 AM, Bill the barbarian said:

I would treat this as an occupation. Choose skills that would be suitable for an occupation of traveller...

Ohhh... I thought you were talking about the sci-fi RPG called Traveller.... the one where your character can die in chargen... 😛

On 10/8/2022 at 1:25 AM, Joerg said:

Maybe to increase these lores, the traveler has to write (or dictate) a travelogue and deposite this with a Knowledge Temple (or a priest for one of these). Producing the essay to the temple might be both the training and the training cost.

One point I'd like to make here is that we need to remember that people have a tendency to not actually learn from those experiences. How many texts do we have written by such expeditionaries across the various parts of the world who got things woefully wrong??

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Shiningbrow said:

One point I'd like to make here is that we need to remember that people have a tendency to not actually learn from those experiences. How many texts do we have written by such expeditionaries across the various parts of the world who got things woefully wrong??

On the other hand, we have ample evidence of those who got it right too.  It does seem like the sort of thing that increases with skill checks to me.

with the rule : the pc may "train" a lore each season if i m not wrong

but i may be wrong as I don't follow the rule, i m not sure there 🙂

with my house rule : for the 4 xp check (if adventuring is no more than half a season), a pc may choose any skills (no lore restriction) between :

cult (if the cult is present),

occupation (if appropriate, if you are a smith and you don't have any forge, a part of your skills cannot improve, like a merchant alone all the season cannot improve bargain, well they could be no they wont img). of course (?) the pc may choose an appropriate occupation for the season so maybe our smith is then a light warrior, or a bandit, or a hunter for this season in the wild (the question is what do you do there ?)

land cultural skill : (where they are during the season) if they have relationships with the natives