Gloranthan Classics on DTRPG

rust

Issaries has now published some Gloranthan Classics as PDFs on Drive Thru RPG:

Vol. 1: Pavis & Big Rubble

Vol. 2: Griffin Mountain

Vol. 3: Cult Compendium

Vol. 4: Borderlands & Beyond

and also Stafford Library: Heortling Mythology.

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=79

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Guest Vile Traveller

Rick Meints announced this a few days ago on Gringle's Pawnshop. If you don't have dead tree versions of these or the originals, these are worth picking up. If you're an old-school Gloranthaphile, they're a must-have. You might also be able to get some printed copies from Rick directly.

If you don't have dead tree versions of these or the originals, these are worth picking up.

Indeed. Griffin Mountain was at the top of my list of best roleplaying supplements for many

years, and if someone asks me today what a good supplement should be like, I still tell him

to take a look at Griffin Mountain or Pavis & Big Rubble. :)

(Charlie Chan)

They are a ripoff when you can buy a printed, perfect bound copy for ten more dollars.

Just take a look at this, especially the shipping cost to Europe (14 USD X(), from the HeroQuest

website, and you are likely to see the point ... :)

post-246-140468074934_thumb.png

(Charlie Chan)

Just take a look at this, especially the shipping cost to Europe (14 USD X(), from the HeroQuest

website, and you are likely to see the point ... :)

I spoke to Rick via email less than a month ago, and he said that $30 included shipping (in USA).

I would have no problem ordering these and sending them to anyone in Europe that wants them, so long as they cover the expense. PM me if interested.

121/420

I would have no problem ordering these and sending them to anyone in Europe that wants them, so long as they cover the expense. PM me if interested.

Thank you very much for your offer, but I do already have the material I want. :)

However, there may well be others who might be most interested in your friendly offer.

(Charlie Chan)

Considering the only one of these that they don't still have hard copies of is Pavis/Big Rubble, why is everyone making such a big deal out of this? They are a ripoff when you can buy a printed, perfect bound copy for ten more dollars.

Ehn? How are they a rip off? Does the information contained in them, the hard work in art and layout and transcription from previous products become worth less because one can buy them in an electronic format that lets the owner print specific pages without bending the spine of a physical book (and may well have other conveniences such as being searchable, a bookmarked index etc)?

If folk want this material in electronic format, $20 a pop (or $60 for the bundle) strikes me as perfectly reasonable - hell, I'm half tempted to get a set despite having all four already in soft back because the price seems quite tempting.

Cheers,

Nick

Ehn? How are they a rip off? Does the information contained in them, the hard work in art and layout and transcription from previous products become worth less because one can buy them in an electronic format that lets the owner print specific pages without bending the spine of a physical book (and may well have other conveniences such as being searchable, a bookmarked index etc)?

If folk want this material in electronic format, $20 a pop (or $60 for the bundle) strikes me as perfectly reasonable - hell, I'm half tempted to get a set despite having all four already in soft back because the price seems quite tempting.

Cheers,

Nick

I'm glad they're available legally now for the reasons you've pointed out, but A) $20 seems a bit pricey for a pdf and B) I would never choose a pdf over a printed copy when the price difference is so negligible.

121/420

Considering the only one of these that they don't still have hard copies of is Pavis/Big Rubble, why is everyone making such a big deal out of this? They are a ripoff when you can buy a printed, perfect bound copy for ten more dollars.

The $30 price is a sale price to clear out my remaining stock, which is almost gone, and will probably not last much longer. As for buying from you to ship overseas, why bother? I am happy to ship overseas and I am sure it would not be more expensive.

As for the "ripoff" price comment, I'll pass. In another message you mention having spoken to me. I can't verify that without knowing who you really are. I certainly don't remember a "tedopon" email.

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

I think the best news is that you have the rights to publish them in a pdf format. This means we don't have to run to purchase them because they will available in pdf in the future, and we have a place to direct future players and GMs. Of course if you want a print copy you should probably run in Rick's direction.

As far as the cost, I have hard copies of all 4 books and would seriously consider the package deal for the pdfs. I think the time it would take me to scan my books is worth more than the $15 it would cost for the pdfs ( hopefully a better quality too ). It also saves wear and tear on the books. I find it awfully handy to have the pdfs on my laptop for reference.

I use  fantasygrounds.com

I personally think this is great. On the whole I prefer PDFs as they let me print just what I need, print extra copies of maps, stat blocks and so on. £13 for each volume gives me a lot more content than I would normally get for that price and I don't have the original publications. So colour me happy with this. Have bought 2 volumes already.

For me: no more space to store RPG books, so PDFs are preferred for all materials I don't use at the gaming table. And with a PDF I can (usually) copy what I need and paste it into house rules or other documents.

Bathalians, the newest UberVillians!

I'm definitely getting these when my bank account cools down enough for me to touch it again.

Although I have the originals and the Gloranthan Classics in hard copy, these would be excellent source material for my current campaign, in PDF form.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Pavis & Big Rubble is #1 of small press. Like Rome one year ago. Next step will be Ed Healy calling Rick for RPG Coundown, and everyone knowing that RuneQuest had all these great supplements back in the days.

Remember there is also a lot of material that supplements the Pavis & Big Rubble and the Borderlands campaigns. Some of it still available in Tradetalk magazine, or in other works by Ian Thomson and friends that are available via the Chaos Society (Pavis and Big Rubble Companions), and some of Ian's work was freely (legally) down-loadable (via some dead links still listed on Soltakss' web site).

Some Tradetalk links:

Edited by dragonewt

The $30 price is a sale price to clear out my remaining stock, which is almost gone, and will probably not last much longer. I am happy to ship overseas and I am sure it would not be more expensive.

I'm interested in picking up some of the remaining printed work. I have Borderlands and Beyond and love it.

What I'd like to know, though, is how much of the other 3 books cover material I already have. I have a nearly complete set of 3rd Ed. stuff.

How similar is Griffin Mountain to Griffin Island? Would you estimate 90% duplication, or something lower? Similarly, does Pavis & Big Rubble contain a lot of additional material over River of Cradles for 3rd Edition?

If one already has Gods of Glorantha, Lords of Terror, and all the Tales of the Reaching Moon issues, how many cults would I find in the Cults book that I don't already have?

Thanks,

"Tell me what you found, not what you lost" Mesopotamian proverb

Griffin Mountain and Griffin island are rather different products. Griffin Island is a world-generic Island using RQ3 rules. Griffin Mountain is set in the Lunar province of Balazar using RQ2 rules. To even things out, I took the new material Avalon Hill put into Griffin Island and tacked it on to the Gloranthan Classic - Griffin Mountain.

If you take a look at the sample PDF on drivethru it includes the Table of Contents which lists all the cults.

In short, you probably have 75% of the Cults written up in one or more of the books in your collection. You won't have the 5 White Wolf RQ3 cults, nor the ones from Different Worlds magazine. You also will have all the material scattered over a number of books versus all in one place in the compendium. Pavis & Big Rubble only got had maybe 20% included in River of Cradles for RQ3.

Hope that Helps,

Rick,

What with all the hero wars stuff and Mongoose Runequest....and all the other stuff ( hearts in Glorantha etc etc ) isn't it about time for MIG 3 ? ;t)

Yes, there certainly is more than enough new material published in the last 11 years to justify a new edition. The problems for me revolve around 2 constraints: I do not have many of the things published related to Mongoose's new edition(s) of Runequest, and I also have a lack of time. I'm not saying "never", I'm just saying "not any time real soon".

Edited by rmeints
typo

Hope that Helps,