The age of the ORC begins: Chaosium to release a new edition of Basic Roleplaying in April using the Open RPG Creative License

MOB

8 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

They are in the middle of the night in the US so I think it will take a few more hours...

So they're sleeping on the job? 😉

27 minutes ago, TheophilusCarter said:

Look at calendar ...

Mine shows April 7.

April 7.jpeg

Edited by teo twawki
  • Haha 1

plus lucis quam solis
plus obscurior quam nocte
plus laqueum quam libido

36 minutes ago, jajagappa said:

The notices simply say "to be released on April 7th"

It does not imply that it will occur at a specific time on April 7th. 

I guess this thread has humor filters in place.

• Haha 1

plus lucis quam solis
plus obscurior quam nocte
plus laqueum quam libido

On 3/21/2023 at 10:24 AM, albesias said:

I really love the toolbox perspective from the BGB. You can configure a really streamlined game or a really heavyweight one up to your taste or your table needs. Cover art shows a Vitruvian swiss tool man.

I'd like an update that includes lastest options like, CoC's 7th push your luck, characterists x5, RQG's passions, reputations, personality traits like runes and more power magic options.

Jason has my trust.

Thanks for your trust. 

You get some of those things! 

Some didn't make it, for obvious reasons: 

• Push your luck is already in the old edition in the form of Fate Points (p176). There is not much sense to introducing another system that does the same thing (technically less). 
  • Characteristics x5 don't scale satisfactorily for characters with characteristics greater than 20/100, and conflict with use of the resistance table - which is mathematically the better way to handle opposing forces (opposed rolls don't give equal forces a 50/50 chance of success). 
  • Passions, Reputations are now in there
  • Personality traits were already in there.

I didn't add more magic or powers, as we had a mandate to make what was there better and clearer/cleaner, not add a bunch of new stuff just to add new stuff. 

• Like 6
  • Helpful 3

16 minutes ago, Jason D said:

I didn't add more magic or powers, as we had a mandate to make what was there better and clearer/cleaner, not add a bunch of new stuff just to add new stuff. 

First, fantastic job on a phenomenal product! I was afraid certain things might be stripped out, but it all looks to be there! 👏👏👏

Second, as to your quote and regarding adding stuff... might BRP Platinum (that's what I'm now calling this) get a secondary volume that BRP Gold teased about?

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

I'm loving just about everything I'm seeing, and very excited! I do wish there had been more CoC 7 innovations included (bonus die, pulp traits, etc.), but maybe I can house-rule those in.

Is it just me (I'm reading the PDF on a Mac), or is the font in the tables nearly unreadable? This is an example of what it looks like for me, zoomed to 100%. Fonts that microscopic should use a sans serif font I would think.

If this doesn't get addresses, not sure I'd buy a hard copy since I couldn't read it without a magnifying glass and would need to zoom 200% on my iPad. 😕

Screen Shot 2023-04-07 at 12.14.27 PM.png

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Travern said:

Quick question, @Jason D: The ORC License draft is marked "FEEDBACK REQUESTED", but there doesn't seem to be a method of submitting this (e-mail, webform, etc.).

How do people send in their comments/critiques/questions? Many thanks,

Our mistake! We accidentally posted that a little too early. It is taken down until it is ready.