The age of the ORC begins: Chaosium to release a new edition of Basic Roleplaying in April using the Open RPG Creative License

MOB

7 hours ago, NickMiddleton said:

The contents list somewhat echoes the BGB; and Jason has been working on a streamlined BRP for LotMS, alongside his other duties. And given the timescales, and Chaosium’s wider slate of material, my guess is this is more likely an evolution / streamlining of the BGB rather than an extensive, radical re-write.

I would speculate that some options have been trimmed, possibly for future supplements, and others refined with lessons learned since 2008.

But we will know soon enough.

This would be my preferred scenario - everything from LotMS I've seen yet looks pretty great, and also, Jason mentioned somewhere that he was aiming for his Stormbringer sweet spot of complexity for it, which is just right for me. If this ends up being a streamlined BRP that takes LotMS as its core (which, if I remember correctly, would include passions, relationsships and a - new? - psionics system) and adds in classic BRP-subsystems in a consistent way, I think I'd be totally on board with it.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, DreadDomain said:

I am both excited and terrified! I've said before, the content of BGB is awesome. I hope it won't be (too) watered down. Hopefully, it will be awesomer!

And I have learned a new word to use when I talk about Chaosium!

awesomer!

. And I will try to coin one new  phrase... Great new tested BRP rules for your RQ G tables for those who dig!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

1 hour ago, Bill the barbarian said:

And I have learned a new word to use when I talk about Chaosium!

awesomer!

Somebody at work used the phrase "Awesome sausome" today 😮

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 3/20/2023 at 5:54 PM, jackleg2010 said:

I am going to wait for a print version.

I'd considering buying the PDF from Chaosium when it comes out and then get that money as a discount coupon when the printed book becomes available later this year. Best of both worlds.

• Like 3

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 3/21/2023 at 10:02 AM, GothmogIV said:

I sent an email to the president of Chaosium, and he said this book was in a list of other books that they are going to bring to Roll20, so that sparks total joy in my world! My favorite system, hands-down! 

Name dropper... 🙂 Chaosium wants to get all of our product lines on Roll20, it's just a matter of time and resources.

• Haha 1

Hope that Helps,

On 3/21/2023 at 12:13 PM, soltakss said:

Excellent, and it's on DrivethruRPG, which means it's effectively free for me!

To be clear, buying the previous edition of a book does not automatically mean you will be getting a new edition of a book for free as some sort of upgrade. People who bought RQ Classic did not get RQG for free, just like people who bought CoC 6th edition did not get CoC 7th edition for free when it came out. Sure, small tweaks to an existing book mean you get an updated PDF. That doesn't apply to this project.

Unless I am missing some perks you get on DTRPG, like you have store credit or similar.

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,

37 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Unless I am missing some perks you get on DTRPG, like you have store credit or similar

I have DTRPG Credit due to Jonstown Compendium sales, so I use that for purchases on DTRPG, making them effectively free for me.

• Like 6

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

49 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

Unless I am missing some perks you get on DTRPG, like you have store credit or similar.

10 minutes ago, soltakss said:

I have DTRPG Credit due to Jonstown Compendium sales, so I use that for purchases on DTRPG, making them effectively free for me.

I had thought @soltakss' status (as on the more-successful side of JC authors) clearly implied some DTRPG store credit.

OTOH, I'm a little surprised he hasn't already burned through it (buying much of the other JC awesomeness)!

On the gripping hand, Rick's clarification:

52 minutes ago, Rick Meints said:

To be clear, buying the previous edition of a book does not automatically mean you will be getting a new edition of a book for free as some sort of upgrade. People who bought RQ Classic did not get RQG for free, just like people who bought CoC 6th edition did not get CoC 7th edition for free when it came out. Sure, small tweaks to an existing book mean you get an updated PDF. That doesn't apply to this project.

seems entirely-apt, as it's not clear why the new book should or would would be "free for you."

C'es ne pas un .sig

Given that the BGB was just on sale for a $1 at DTRPG I wouldn’t expect to get the new book as an update. 

Curious to know what the specifics will be for the pdf to physical book discount. Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t pdf files included with the purchase of a physical book on Chaosium’s site? 

This makes me think the price for the pdf in April won’t be “full price” of a book. 

BGB = BRP Gold. New book = BRP Platinum.  Stay metal. 

30 minutes ago, Nakana said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t pdf files included with the purchase of a physical book on Chaosium’s site? 

When the book and pdf are released at the same time, yes. When the pdf is released first, then they usually provide a coupon for the difference when the book is subsequently released.

On 3/21/2023 at 9:41 PM, Joerg said:

The acronym BRUGE reminds both me and google of Bruges/Brügge, the biggest city in central Europe in the middle ages and financial capital of the Hanseatic League(s).

I prefer BRUGE for the re-release. BRP always sounded like..burp. I suppose time has contracted Role Playing to role-playing to Roleplaying.

13 minutes ago, Questbird said:

I prefer BRUGE for the re-release. BRP always sounded like burp...

What??!?
You don't like hanging out with us on burp-central??!?

Edited by g33k
  • Haha 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

336889227_955481418951429_754808217421457957_n.jpeg.09f9ad296e3ab7a94fd7f5186ffb2069.jpeg

Fr2_HpyaEAAj14l.jpeg.51cad874d1f347ddb21e870915b5c6cc.jpeg

Fr27MFPaYAAofPj.jpeg.4b7ee24eb11cc16c5660b1d42a5ed177.jpeg

With Basic Roleplaying: Universal Game Engine, you can go anywhere and become anyone.

Where will you go first?

Art by Loïc Muzy, whose award-winning work you can see on such Chaosium releases as Berlin the Wicked City, Petersen Field Guide to Lovecraftian Horrors, the Malleous Monstrorum, and the forthcoming Cults of RuneQuest.
Edited by MOB
  • Like 11

7 hours ago, g33k said:

OTOH, I'm a little surprised he hasn't already burned through it (buying much of the other JC awesomeness)!

I do buy all Jonstown Compendium supplements and use my DTRPG Credit to do so. I also pay contributors, artists, and so on with that credit. However, I have more than enough credit remaining to buy whatever I want.

The Jonstown Compendium has been good to me.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

14 hours ago, Nakana said:

Given that the BGB was just on sale for a $1 at DTRPG I wouldn’t expect to get the new book as an update. 

Curious to know what the specifics will be for the pdf to physical book discount. Correct me if I’m wrong but aren’t pdf files included with the purchase of a physical book on Chaosium’s site? 

This makes me think the price for the pdf in April won’t be “full price” of a book. 

The pdf won’t be the full price of the book, but if you buy the pdf now at the pdf price that amount is taken off the price of the physical book when it’s released so that in the end, you pay standard price for the physical book and received the pdf effectively “free”. Just in two installments, and without having to wait for the info in digital form.

• Helpful 1