The age of the ORC begins: Chaosium to release a new edition of Basic Roleplaying in April using the Open RPG Creative License

MOB

21 hours ago, Jakob said:

Why should the GURPS fans have all the fun if we can be BURP fans?

😆Yeah saying you like playing BURP and GURPS isn't a great way to introduce new players to RPGs.

However @g33k I do enjoy the discussions and company on brp-central 😀

A BRP by any other name would smell as sweet!

Edited by Questbird
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, soltakss said:

I have DTRPG Credit due to Jonstown Compendium sales, so I use that for purchases on DTRPG, making them effectively free for me.

Yep

23 hours ago, soltakss said:

I have DTRPG Credit due to Jonstown Compendium sales, so I use that for purchases on DTRPG, making them effectively free for me.

Considering the amount of free work you have done, it does seem fair.

6 hours ago, g33k said:

At least they kept it down to just the one ORC!

and the other 29 over the hill?

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

HI @MOB, sorry for tagging you, but I had some small questions:

Will this be a "free" PDF or not?

I am asking because based on the announcement, this sound like a new SRD for the BRP, which would mean that authors could use that to write their own RPG.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:12 AM, MOB said:

This release serves as an update to the core BRP system. Under the new Open RPG Creative License (ORC), game creators are free to use the BRP rules engine to develop their own games, royalty-free and without further permission from Chaosium.

Not that I believe it would be a problem to pay a little to get that, but just trying to understand how that will be done.

Besides it, is there any information about the ORC license itself? I tried to find and this seems to be the first announcement using the ORC license itself. So, quite curious to have a look on it.

14 hours ago, CussaMitre said:

HI @MOB, sorry for tagging you, but I had some small questions:

I am asking because based on the announcement, this sound like a new SRD for the BRP, which would mean that authors could use that to write their own RPG.

Not that I believe it would be a problem to pay a little to get that, but just trying to understand how that will be done.

Besides it, is there any information about the ORC license itself? I tried to find and this seems to be the first announcement using the ORC license itself. So, quite curious to have a look on it.

The CEO already stated that will not be a free pdf update, it’s a new edition of the game rules (he even used the example of CoC 6th/7th).

Edited by Baphomet69
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Baphomet69 said:

The CEO already stated that will not be a free pdf update, it’s a new edition of the game rules (he even used the example of CoC 6th/7th).

That's exactly what I am trying to understand. Based on the announcement, it gives the impression that this version will be available as a SRD for the BRP.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, CussaMitre said:

That's exactly what I am trying to understand. Based on the announcement, it gives the impression that this version will be available as a SRD for the BRP.

I would expect them to publish the plain text sans layout and maybe sans examples as (free) SRD, while you'll have to buy the shiny version - though I don't know for sure. As of yet, they only have stated that you won't get the shiny book version pdf as a free update to the Big Gold Book - if you want that one, you'll have to buy it.

• Helpful 1

@MOB -- Is there anything besides "April" as an available ETA, perchance?
Early-ish likely?  Or certainly-not early?
Late-ish likely?

I mean... we're all eager, of course!  Some of us may have some projects in mind...

###

Also... shall we expect any further info as to the contents?

E.g. ... is it essentially a revised/edited BGB?

Or is it more like a ground-up project, starting from a core of (FrEx) CoC7e or RQG or LotMS or RoL (but without any of the IP) but then tons of options?

###

Instabuy for me, of course!
I won't say "shut up and take my money," because I'm actually hoping we hear some hype (info) before it drops...  😁

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

On 3/22/2023 at 1:03 AM, Baphomet69 said:

And I hope YouTube personalities cover this well and get the word out and drive up the popularity of this system. This should be the premier game system!

Here's a start...

• Like 3

On 3/23/2023 at 7:16 PM, CussaMitre said:

There will be a free SRD related PDF for BRP with no art, etc. That's part of the ORC license announcement.

We will also be selling a hardcover full color BRP book with color art (PDF option as well).

• Like 8
  • Helpful 4
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

7 hours ago, Rick Meints said:

There will be a free SRD related PDF for BRP with no art, etc. That's part of the ORC license announcement.

We will also be selling a hardcover full color BRP book with color art (PDF option as well).

Very helpful, Rick, TYVM!

A couple of quick questions:

1)  Are you aware of any other ORC-license books and/or SRD's that are due within the same timeframe (i.e. by the end of next month)?  Or does Chaosium get to claim undisputed bragging rights within the "ORC Alliance"?   😁

2)  Is there any update about our first look at the license itself, even if only in draft form?  AIUI, the initial target was "late February" which slipped to "likely by the end of March" ... and, well ... 

I understand that the key members of the "ORC Alliance" need time to review, consult, and give feedback; then the law firm needs to incorporate that feedback, and the "public draft" needs approval by all parties (I think the original time-estimates were wildly over-optimistic).  But it seems like it might be time for a new estimate.  😉

Edited by g33k
typo

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 hours ago, trechriron said:

The ORC License discord server had a recent update that the law firm was reviewing the latest draft. I would say the first draft version will be available to the public SOON. Maybe even before BRP vORC comes out? 🙂

Is this discord public? If yes, can you share the link?

1 hour ago, SunlessNick said:

Can you say any more about how (or if) the text will differ from the big gold book edition?

Just based on the photos shared -- which I presume to be a mock-up, so maybe isn't something to judge by -- it appears to be substantially thinner.

I presume the shrinkage couldn't have been achieved with nebulous "tightening up the writing."  We'll have to see if it's as much a kitchen-sink volume as the BGB, but I don't expect that it is (unless that mock-up is wildly different from the final product).

I wonder if it's more of a "BRP Core" volume, adding some updates from what's come out over the past 15 years, but with the BGB staying relevant for the areas that it covers.

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

3 hours ago, g33k said:

Just based on the photos shared -- which I presume to be a mock-up, so maybe isn't something to judge by -- it appears to be substantially thinner.

I presume the shrinkage couldn't have been achieved with nebulous "tightening up the writing."  We'll have to see if it's as much a kitchen-sink volume as the BGB, but I don't expect that it is (unless that mock-up is wildly different from the final product).

I wonder if it's more of a "BRP Core" volume, adding some updates from what's come out over the past 15 years, but with the BGB staying relevant for the areas that it covers.

The thickness of the book in the image is too thin. That looks more like a 128 page book, and the latest edition of BRP is far bigger than that. I shall let our 3D modeling people know they might want to adjust that in future renders, as applicable.

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

Hope that Helps,

20 hours ago, g33k said:

1)  Are you aware of any other ORC-license books and/or SRD's that are due within the same timeframe (i.e. by the end of next month)?  Or does Chaosium get to claim undisputed bragging rights within the "ORC Alliance"?   😁

2)  Is there any update about our first look at the license itself, even if only in draft form?  AIUI, the initial target was "late February" which slipped to "likely by the end of March" ... and, well ... 

I understand that the key members of the "ORC Alliance" need time to review, consult, and give feedback; then the law firm needs to incorporate that feedback, and the "public draft" needs approval by all parties (I think the original time-estimates were wildly over-optimistic).  But it seems like it might be time for a new estimate.  😉

1. I'm not really up to speed on what other companies are doing with the ORC license. It's a fast moving target. We will certainly be one of the first, or in the first batch of releases.

2. I don't have any info/update to provide on when a draft license will be available. I think April is the earliest to expect to see something, but it could be later than that, depending on how the various reviews go. 

• Helpful 2

Hope that Helps,