I Think I'm Going to Make Up My Own Elmal Cult

svensson

11 hours ago, Lordabdul said:

a weirdo who hasn't gotten the memo

That'd be good for at least one NPC.  A crotchety old Emali who never "got the memo".

I mean, it could happen - look at the members of the Catholic church who are still a  little peeved the mass isn't in Latin - and that change was a while back.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mfbrandi said:

Your Glorantha may vary, but only a little bit? @svensson isn’t trying to force the rest of us to follow him,os):

Hide contents

Woah there Seabiscuit. At no point do I say svenson can't do this. In fact I think it's a valuable idea (as I indicate earlier). I'm merely pointing out that there is soon to be Chaosium released material that will make 2 seperate cults harder to maintain as we go along. I've been Gregged often enough to know that I find retconning a pain. So avoiding that seems prudent.

Basically I'm advocating FOR a seperate Elmal cult as a schismatic movement within Yelmalio, because that'll generate plot hooks for my players. He did, after all, solicit for ideas.

As for ending the Yelmali/Elmal debate. NOPE. As I said in response to SD Leary further up-thread, I find it one of the most useful and productive arguments we've engaged in (far more so than Orlanthi Windmills or Trollkin Mating Habits). FWIW I even wrote in-world stuff defending the traditional Elaml cult. I think MOB published it in the second down under con compendium (away from books ATM).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rob Darvall said:

I've been Gregged often enough to know that I find retconning a pain.

I hate to speak for someone else, but I think he knows he is swimming against the stream. (I definitely could be wrong.)

9 minutes ago, Rob Darvall said:

I even wrote in-world stuff defending the traditional Elaml cult.

The one where Elmal rises in the morning?

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

6 minutes ago, mfbrandi said:

I hate to speak for someone else, but I think he knows he is swimming against the stream. (I definitely could be wrong.)

The one where Elmal rises in the morning?

Even if he does know he's pushing uphill I'd like a variety of approaches to the question that will be compatible enough to continue to spark conversations. Too variant a cult and it'll just vanish.

The one that names Havar "Tightfist"; as in 'has a skinny dick'. PoV of a Far Point Elmali thane (modelled on various outback horsemen I have known)

@svensson Given the deliberate differences between your Elmal and Yelmalio/Antirius, I'm curious if there's any difference in the god and cult's relationship with Darkness, specifically the Surface Darkness powers.  Elmal Guards the Stead intersects mythically with other Kethaelan Darkness Age myths like Heort's saga and the Unity Battle, and some of the big events in that complex from an Orlanthi perspective are the first offering of the Shadow Tribute to Ezkankekko, and their participation in his survivor network that becomes the Unity Army.

Do you think there's any level of rapprochement between Elmal and Darkness, or at least Shadow?

• Like 1
  • Helpful 1

8 hours ago, Rob Darvall said:

Elmal can be a seperate way to worship but not "...a cult that firmly believes that Yelmalio and Elmal are separate deities..." unless you're taking that extra step into variance which makes the 2 into distinct gods. 

Remember, this is not about the Entity, it's about how worshippers perceive the Entity. 

If, in your Glorantha, you want worshippers to understand that it is the same Entity, worshipped in a different way (which does introduce social and possibly political plot hooks); and you don't have Spirits of Reprisal come after either wholesale, that's fine!

In another Glorantha, worshippers could well perceive them as separate beings! As long as the Entity is getting the goods out of both (Worship), they probably don't care! IMO, this still provides social plot hooks, though not necessarily as many.

SDLeary

8 hours ago, Joerg said:

I suppose the Hill of Gold is the Yelmalian equivalent of I Fought We Won. There appears to be a period in the Greater Darkness when even the Last Light was failing, and the Lightfore may have experienced a sojourn to the Underworld. That would not be anything like a Lightbringers' Quest.

Even though I don't have much of a dog in the human cold sun fight, this is something I'm pondering right now. Sacred Time IMG is a collective rite where everyone within a community comes together to recreate their sense of how they're all united and how they all fit together to make a larger world. For Lightbringer people, this starts with the LBQ and ends with the reweaving of the web of time in the compromise. OK.

Hill of Gold is a solitary ordeal, like initiation. You make a pilgrimage to the hill and you learn from your suffering. You might go and come back in a group but there's a sense that you experience it alone. "I fight," definitely. Fans of the cold sun like to fight like hell.

But how does that "I fight" cross the gap to "we win" in Hill of Gold? Or does it? Does it need to? Maybe this is not the way cold sun people recreate the world and reweave the compromise. 

Guards the Stead might be an option because you're acting within a communal framework on behalf of other people. You're doing all that stuff they attribute to Yelmalio in the darkness: making friends, building relationships. But most of that stuff seems to happen after the stead falls (I Fought / We Lost) and we're exiled to assemble a new survival covenant on our own. Simply guarding somebody else's stead while they're off having the important adventures doesn't really cut it. We can say we're playing an important part and we ARE, but the real adventure is literally elsewhere.

So there's an eternal tension built into the highland sun experience, at least around Dragon Pass. As long as you're in the community other people's adventures built, you can participate in their world but never really build the world your way. In fact, your primary role in their sacred time is to be the person who patrols the walls while they have their dream. Your role is to be an "I" on the outside isolated from their "we" on the adventure. This is OK. Some people like being that person.

Others yearn for a little more. But Elmal can't run the stead until Orlanth is gone. And Elmal can't go out and have adventures until the stead falls. And the stead doesn't fall until Elmal fails. This is a hard lesson to absorb all the way through but it's the route to social, personal and cosmic renewal if that's what the world needs.

If it were me, I'd reconstruct the entire spiritual arc of it to recover elements that have been lost or forgotten within Time. Monrogh had a lot of the missing pieces but not the entire picture. He points to a better way to come. That story might start with two brothers in a troubled world. One goes out for solutions and one stays home to preserve what works. Sometimes the brother who goes out goes willingly. Sometimes he's pushed. Staying home never works forever. Sooner or later, no matter how tough you are or how hard you resist, you or your posterity will be forced out one way or another. That's just how the world works.

A brother on the outside can attract allies or not. The better you are at this, the more likely you are to achieve a "we win" result when you fight. You're building a new covenant. You're making compromises. And of course you can reject all this and go your own way because you're tough. Maybe you're the one [sic] who can win your particular Hill of Gold. But in practice, Hill of Gold is what teaches that whenever I fight without a "we" to win, I lose. You get your butt kicked by the cast of Frozen. Let it go.

Any brother who can assemble a better "we" than what was left behind in the stead can come home and recreate the world. Or stay out there and build a new stead there. It's the same difference. You're home either way at that stage.

Within history, the outside brother gets identified with the young storm. Orlanth is the one who needs to quest for lightbringers. The inside brother gets identified with the young sun. He guards the stead. The secret of how the inside brother becomes the outside brother gets lost. IMG it probably happens around the time that Hill of Gold stops being a purely spiritual ordeal (heroquest experience) and becomes a physical pilgrimage site. Then when the kill interrupts access to that site, that stage of the inside brother's way disappears. Inside brother stops failing and being forced to wander in exile as outside brother. Inside brother stays inside. The stead is kept.

More recently inside brother had to step up because outside brother started to fail, even if that failure was being outshone by the philosophical splendor of big sun cults. The tension became unbearable. Some families were on the verge of forcing outside brother out. Geniuses found a solution where inside brother could have his own community and live out his own story without having to deal with outside brother. In those steads, the survival covenant changed. It's based on the old Heortling IFWW but with some cosmetic adjustments to better align with what Monrogh figured out.

However, I don't think they observe the LBQ story at sacred time. After all, as far as they're concerned, the stead doesn't need to be fixed because the stead is not broken. The world you need to recreate looks exactly like the world you had last year: the unconquered sun bursts out of darkness just like always and you're caught up in the awesome triumph of it all. You tickle the local runners awake, kiss a dryad or three if you're feeling naughty. The stead is yours. For a couple of generations, everything was great.

So how this works is they have an initiation into inside brother. It's probably based on conventional theyalan puberty rites up through around Mirror Self. After that, you take the other self's trail and learn how to Guard the Stead. I am alone, I fight alone. Devouring Monster is deferred. You reject that part. That's not you. You're going to try to keep the old world going instead as long as you can. A lot of people get through life without ever having to think about a new world. If you get into trouble, geasa raise the walls and make you stronger. Great!

Every year when the Orlanth people reenact outside brother's journey (Second Son) you stay home and celebrate the walls of the world (Second Sun). The underpinnings of that world are still theyalan in origin . . . you're still an IFWW community with roughly the same calendar and the same fundamental sense of the compromise, but you're engaging with it from a Mirror Self place. You're the other guy. Maybe you spend most of the two weeks locked in the Dome mourning the murder of god, then you come out at the end to greet the outside brother people in the spirit of dawn age amity. You're the sun they brought back. They went out to fix YOU. Here you are, fixed up and shiny. Renew the pact. Join the world party.

And when your sense of everything being great breaks down, you feel drawn to do your Hill of Gold. Maybe you find a rock (d20), maybe you learn something, maybe you come back with it. I would not be surprised to hear that the Vanch temple complex is under lunar sway, which interferes with free access to all who want to make the pilgrimage. Or maybe it's just crowded so tour groups need to observe the schedule, YGWV. Either way, this is the exciting part because that religious impulse will seek other outlets when frustrated. 

And the stead is unsettled because it's the hero wars. Some of the inside brothers are exposed to the outside having adventures. Wanderers, mercenaries, outlaws, exiles, Rurik types. The world is cracked, the stead is failing and this is literally how the new light comes in. By going out in the first place. If you're feeling really ambitious, do something mean to the Sartar dome community. Force them to have an ordeal, give them an adventure. Scatter them to the mercy of the wind and see what great things the survivors come back with. Don't be the other brother for once. Be the hero.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 2
  • Thanks 1

singer sing me a given

3 minutes ago, scott-martin said:

Hill of Gold is a solitary ordeal, like initiation. You make a pilgrimage to the hill and you learn from your suffering. You might go and come back in a group but there's a sense that you experience it alone. "I fight," definitely. Fans of the cold sun like to fight like hell.

But how does that "I fight" cross the gap to "we win" in Hill of Gold? Or does it? Does it need to? Maybe this is not the way cold sun people recreate the world and reweave the compromise. 

I Fought We Won is itself a solitary ordeal if you read the myth as presented in Book of Heortling Mythology. Heort fights alone against chaos in the darkness. It is a deeply personal battle where he chose to fight despite knowing the odds were stacked against him, had his dark night of the soul (apt, given the whole Great Darkness thing), encountered the Second Son, and was strengthened enough to fight until victory against the devil was achieved.

You can similarly run Hill of Gold as if it also has the same two distinct phases, you have the first part which can be likened to Heort in the Darkness, where Yelmalio is defeated again and again, has to face the Selfish God, the Cruel God, is weakened by the cold, and is defeated by Chaos. The second part can be likened to the Second Son and facing the devil, where Yelmalio is healed and strengthened by Aldrya and the elves and fortified enough to withstand his ongoing fight against chaos, the last light watching over the desperate battle until the first dawn.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

1 minute ago, hipsterinspace said:

I Fought We Won is itself a solitary ordeal if you read the myth as presented in Book of Heortling Mythology. Heort fights alone against chaos in the darkness. It is a deeply personal battle where he chose to fight despite knowing the odds were stacked against him, had his dark night of the soul (apt, given the whole Great Darkness thing), encountered the Second Son, and was strengthened enough to fight until victory against the devil was achieved.

This is fine. All can agree there's an "I" in "I Fought." IMG the part where we start "Winning" still requires a "we," even if that's only a duplication, fragmentation or projection of self. 

The more I hear about how this second phase of Hill of Gold opens up to this kind of "we," the better I like it! Let's take those crystals home.

• Like 1

singer sing me a given

4 hours ago, scott-martin said:

IFWW is a misleading phrase, eliding the middle, which is "I lost utterly". In the course of "I Fought", your personal power proves to be useless, your being is stripped away, you dissolve into Chaos. But something eternal still remains, and it's that thing which carries onto "We Won". For Heortling/Orlanthi masculine initiations, this is the Star Heart, which I think is particularly notable for connecting these two events together.

Yelmalio fights, bleeds out his heat and light, and becomes indistinct, yet something remains: the imperishable truth of light, still there beyond the darkness. "We" is really the whole world, which depends on the light for its continued existence and life. Even Uz.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

4 hours ago, scott-martin said:

The more I hear about how this second phase of Hill of Gold opens up to this kind of "we," the better I like it! Let's take those crystals home.

This is the essence of how I developed the Khelmal cult in Imther - the companion who carries part of Yelmalio back into the mountains to bring Light/Truth/Hope to the struggling clans and unifying them while Orlanth is off on the LBQ. It is a "we won" moment to survive.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1

Well, I promised you all my final writeup by today, so here it is.

This isn't 1000% in accordance to every single bit of lore we have. I've done my best to make a Storm cult with Elmal's focus that isn't dependent on Yelmalio for its myths or its conflicts. As I said earlier, I think of this as being two sects of Christians who worship the same God for the same reasons, but they focus on different roles, doctrine, and theology.

And, as always, Your Glorantha Will Vary.

CULT of ELMAL. The Loyal Thane, The Sun Horse 

Elmal is a former servant of Yelm, the Sun God, and the keeper of his horses. In the God Time, Chalana Arroy healed Elmal of his blindness, reducing the Light of his own radience so that he might see and consider other ways. He eventually came to serve Orlanth, seeing the benefits of Change. During the Great Darkness, when Orlanth departed on the Lightbringer’s Quest, Elmal served the Storm people as Orlanth’s Thane. He protected the people against the depredations of Chaos, striving always to protect and preserve the people against Orlanth’s return. 

Since Time began, he provides the Storm people with an exemplar of Honor and Courage by protecting the people and patrolling the clan tula. He provides the pantheon with minor access to Fire magics and is patron of the horses of the Storm Folk. 

Lay Membership 

Any Storm pantheon initiate may purchase lay membership by paying a simple annual fee of 5 lunars to the priest on the Cult Holy Day. This provides access to training in the cult skills at normal rates as time is available by skill masters. 

Initiate Membership 

Initiation is automatic for the children of initiates. It otherwise has standard requirements. Cult members are trained in Ride Horse to 40% and the cult Spirit Magic Spell Ignite for free. 

While Elmal is primarily a male cult, it holds no bias against female members. Cult members are forbidden to learn any Light or Fire extinguishing spell, with the exception being the Rune Magic spell Rain. 

Cult Skills: Bow, Herd, Ride Horse, Scan Shield, Spear 

Cult Spirit Magic: Ignite taught for free. Detect Enemies, Firearrow, Fireblade, Lantern, Mobility, Shimmer. 

Sun Thane Membership 

The Cult of Elmal has no priests. Rune Lords of Elmal are termed Sun Thanes and have the normal requirements. 

Skills required are: Ride Horse @ 90%, Bow or Spear @90%, Scan @ 90%, any two skills from the following list at 90%: Cult Lore [Elmal], Herd, Shield, Search, Track, Worship Elmal, another weapon attack. 

Rune Magic: Command Horse, Shield. Sunbrighten, Sure Shot, True Spear 

Associate Cult Magics:  

-- Orlanth provides Cloud Clear and Lightning 

-- Chalana Arroy provides Restore Health 

THIS IS MODIFIED BY THE CULT WRITEUP I PUT IN THE DOWNLOAD FEED. THAT IS THE FINALIZED VERSION.

Edited by svensson
  • Like 3
  • Helpful 1

Looks reasonable to me. I'd add a few rune spells or enchantments; 14 seems a good rule of thumb for a cult with (presumably) only small temples. PCs shouldn't be running out of spells to learn during any reasonable length campaign. Catseye, Vision and Command Hawk would suit a horse-patrolling, cattle-guarding thane. I am not sure command horse really belongs, that is more for horse-taming or capturing.

i assume 'sunbrighten' is a typo for 'sunbright'? 

By the rules as written, the skills/passions should be;

• cult lore (yelmalio)
  • worship (yelmalio)
  • devotion (yelmalio).

Which is actually silly; what makes much more sense is;

• cult lore (elmal)
  • worship (yelmalio)
  • devotion (elmal).

The RQ;G cult rules are quite specific that a cult picks an arbitrary single name for the deity worshipped, even if it's worshippers call it something else. Which is fair enough for the role of the worship skill in regaining rune points, and how that actually plays out in game. You don't want an initiate of a 1 to 2 temple cult like Elmal to never be able to leave town.

But for me, it breaks suspension of disbelief for a Yelm priest to be automatically taught, and care about, the myths of yu Kargzant.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, svensson said:

Associate Cult Magics:  

If you want Sartar Kingdom of Heroes Elmal I’d change the list to:

Rune Magic: All common, plus Clear Sight, Cloud Clear, Sunbright, Sureshot, True Spear.

Subservient cults

- Beren provides Command Horse

- Redalda (shared with Ernalda) provides Speak to Horse and training in the skill Understand Horse (Magic, 00%)

- Urzani provide Dismiss and Summon Fire Elemental (small)

Associate cults

- Chalana Arroy provides Restore Vision

- Ernalda provides Heal Body

- Esrola provides Bless Crops

- Orlanth provides Shield

Edited by hipsterinspace

So, the cult that actually emphasizes spear (Yelmalio) doesn't get True Spear, and the cult that emphasizes horses and archery does?

3 hours ago, radmonger said:

Catseye, Vision and Command Hawk would suit a horse-patrolling, cattle-guarding thane.

Give Catseye to Elmal and there is almost no reason at all for any PC to ever join Yelmalio.  I already doubt that many sane PCs would join the nerfed RQG Yelmalio cult compared to svensson's version of Elmal.

• Helpful 1

YELMALIO (unnerfed)

The cults for my house campaign were based on HERO WARS books with feats turned into Rune spells, spirit magic, or skills, depending. As a result, all the gods had WAY more unique rune magic. So Yelmalio will probably look OP out of context. 

That said:

YELMALIO 

(Son of the Sun, God of the Sun Dome Temples) 

Yelmalio is either another form of Elmal or a different god entirely, depending on whom you talk toYelmalians claim that Elmal was kidnapped, tricked and/or deluded by the Storm Tribe, who made him a servant and a slave, but that his true identity is and always has been Yelmalio, son of Orlanth’s mortal enemy, YelmTheir great hero, Monro, proved this through heroquests and “freed” YelmalioHe converted many of the Elmal centered bloodlines of Sartar to his new religion and lead a great exodus to the south, where the Yelmalians founded their Sun Dome Temple, a theocracy ruled by the cult. 

The Sun Dome is the source of the famous Sun Dome Templars, a mercenary army whose unbreakable phalanxes fight for the highest bidder (currently the Lunars). 

The cult also has ties to the elves, who worship Yelmalio as the bright forest defender. 

Yelmalio are stereotypically honorable, disciplined and calm.  Unlike most Sartarites, they are also somewhat puritanical in sexual mores and disapprove of women who take on non-traditional gender roles.  

The Elmali still loyal to Orlanth point out that Yelmalio is inferior to the true Elmal, who can still use fire, while Yelmalio can use only light.  

Yelmalio Rune Levels are Rune Lords called Light Sons.  They must have 90%+ in Spear, 90%+ in Bow or Thrown Weapon, 90%+ in Scan, and 90%+ in two additional skills chosen from: Light, Truth, Defense, Kuschile Horse Archery, Listen, March Far, Phalanx Tactics, Pike and Shield, Scan,.  They must have Mythology (Yelmalio) at 50%+ and a POW of 15+.  Light Sons roll 1d10 on DI. 

Light Sons never wear red. 

MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS:  Must be a male citizen of a Sun Dome county or an elf. 

CULT PERSONALITY SKILLS:  Disciplined, Brave, Honorable, Honest 

CULT SKILLS:  Phalanx Tactics, March Far, Pike and Shield, Second Rank Spear.  See also Hero Cults. 

CULT BATTLE MAGIC:  Bladesharp, Farsee, Lantern (2), Light, Protection, Speeddart, Vigor.  Yelmalio’s specialty spell is Protection.  Yelmalians may never cast Ignite, Firearrow, or Fireblade or any other fire-based magic. 

Lantern (Battle Magic, Touch, 2pts) When cast upon a shield or other polished metal surface, the target becomes a light sourceThis light is as bright as full daylight for a 50m cone in front of the light source and provides low light for 10m around the light source. 

CULT RUNE METALS:  Iron, Gold 

COMMON RUNE MAGIC:  All 

YELMALIO’S COMMON RUNE MAGIC 

(available to all worshippers regardless of subcult) 

LIGHT RUNE MAGIC 

FIGHT UZ (Rune Magic, Ranged, Touch, 1 pt)Each pt of the spell gives the target a +10% to hit and +2 to damage and +10% to resistance checks vs. Uz (Trolls). 

SURESHOT (Rune Magic, Touch, Non-Stackable, 1 pt)  This spell is cast on a ranged attack weapon (an arrow, missile, javelin, etc.)  The next attack using that projectile is +100% to hit. 

TRUESPEAR (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt.) The targeted spear does double weapon damage (roll the dice twice). Normal spears require 1 pt of TruespearPikes and  Naginatas require 2 pts. 

CATSEYE

RESIST DARKNESS (Rune Magic, Ranged, Instant, Stackable, 1 pt).  Each pt of the spell adds 25% to Resistance checks vs Darkness related spells (Such as Blindness) or against Darkness Elemental attacks and provides 1 AP vs Darkness related damage (such as Crush or a Shade’s Damage Aura). 

SHIELD

SUNBRIGHT

TRUTH RUNE MAGIC

ENDURE WOUND (Rune Magic, Touch, 1 pt)  Cast on a single wound on a still living target.  The targeted wound can be ignored for the duration of this spell.  It does not count against total HP, injured or lost limbs are restored to function.  Once the spell expires or is dispelled, the full effect of the wound returns. 

STANDFAST (Rune Magic, Ranged, 1 pt.)  This spell makes the target immune to Fear and Demoralize or other negative morale effects.  The target may not use fear-based personality skills and is immune to morale effecting spells like Death Song Berserk and Terrifying Aura.  Additional pts double the number of targets (so long as they are in spell range.)  

MORALE (Rune Magic, Ritual, Target = special, Duration = 1 day, 3 pts.) This spell takes 15 minutes to cast, during which the caster makes an inspiring speech.  It targets members of a phalanx who are pledged to follow the caster.  At the conclusion of the speech, the caster makes an Orate check.  If successful, members of the unit each receive a bonus to attack = the caster’s Orate/5 for the duration of the combat.  This bonus does not stack with fanaticism, Berserk, offensive stance, or other morale based bonuses.  NOTE:  Morale cannot be extended with Extension. 

FORCE MARCH (Rune Magic, PBAE = 50 meters, 2 pts.)  This spell targets members of a phalanx who are pledged to follow the caster.  All followers within range of the caster move in synch with the caster, moving in the same general direction at the same speed.  They can move at the caster’s move rate even if it’s higher than their own.  They are immune to tripping, falling or any spell that hinders movement so long as the caster is not affected by such spells or conditions.  If a follower moves outside the range of the spell, these bonuses are lost.  (NOTE:  For purpose of statement of intent, the caster’s move statements override and replace any stated actions by the targets.  In the caster’s move phase, the caster moves all targets under the influence of this spell.  Spell can be resisted if the target chooses to do so.) 

SHIELD WALL (Rune Magic, PBAE = 50 meters, 3 pts.)  This spell targets members of a phalanx who are pledged to follow the caster.  This gives all followers within range of the caster a bonus equal to the caster’s Phalanx Tactics/20 to their shield AP.   

UNBREAKABLE SPEAR (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt) The targeted spear cannot be broken by Sunder attacks or spells for the duration of this spell. 

VOICE OF COMMAND (Rune Magic, Self, Stackable, 1 pt.)  Adds +50m to the radius of the caster’s Shield Wall or Force March spells. 

YELMALIO’S SECRET 

SURVIVE UNTIL DAWN (Rune Magic, Self, Duration = Special, 3 pts.)  If the caster is killed while under the influence of this spell, he is returned to life and is stabilized at 0 hp and cannot be killed by any means until the following dawn.  He remains alive but comatose until the next dawn (24 hours maximum), at which point the spell expires and the caster dies.  If the caster is healed in the interim, he will not die at dawn.  The caster can only be stabilized in this way once per casting, so if the caster dies, is healed to consciousness, then dies again, he will be truly dead.  If the caster casts this spell and is not killed before the following dawn, the spell expires. 

SUBCULTS  

Yelmalio has no subcults, though he has many hero cultsEach hero cult teaches one or two Rune Spells or skills to members, who meet certain qualifications and abide by certain geasAn initiate of Yelmalio may only dedicate himself to a single Hero CultA Light Son may join any number. 

ARINSOR THE LEADER 

This is the Hero Cult of the central authorities of the Sun Dome. 

MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS:  Must be a High Priest of YelmalioHigh Priests typically have 100%+ pts in Mythology (Yelmalio) and 20+ pts of Rune MagicThey must be active in the main Sun Dome hierarchy and appointed by the Great High Priest. 

GEAS:  Never disobey a direct order from a superior. 

SKILL PROVIDED:  Force of Will 

Force of Will (Personality Skill) The priest has a powerful physical presenceThe Priest’s Force of Will can be intimidating and even the elements can be forced to obey. 

SPELL PROVIDED:  Radiate Authority 

LIGHT RUNE MAGIC  

RADIATE AUTHORITY (Rune Magic, Self, Stackable, 1 pt.) Each pt of this spell adds +10% to the casters Orate, Force of Will, or similar skill when being used to exert authority.  Against other worshipers of Yelmalio, this effect is doubled. 

EROKOS THE PROVIDER 

This subcult celebrates Yelmalio as the bringer of light for crops. 

GEAS:  Never love any but an Earth worshipper 

SPELL PROVIDED:  Bless Crops 

HUSBAND-PROTECTOR  

This Hero Cult celebrates the many Husbands of Ernalda 

CULT REQUIREMENT:  Be a Rune Level or Argan Argar, Orlanth, Elmal (or Yelmalio), Rozgali the Sea, or Vestkarthen (Lodril).  Marry a Rune Level of Ernalda or Esrola 

CULT BEHAVIOR:  Members of this hero cult always wear a wedding ring on their left hand.  In the Holy Country they may claim the title “Sir.” 

DISADVANTAGES:  Subject to all Husband-controlling magic provided by Ernalda. 

CULT SKILL:  Yes Dear. 

SPELL PROVIDED:  Dismiss Elemental 

EARTH RUNE MAGIC 

DISMISS ELEMENTAL 

KUSCHILE THE HORSE ARCHER 

This Hero Cult celebrates an ancient Yelmalian hero.   

GEAS:  Never let a horse suffer needlessly. 

SKILL PROVIDED:  Start Kuschile Horse Archery at 25% or get +25% to Kuschile Horse Archery if already known. 

CULT BEHAVIOR:  Members of this hero cult always wear a yellow feather on their armor. 

LASTERNOS LONGSEER 

A companion of Monro renowned for his excellent vision. 

GEAS:  Never eat the meat of birds. 

MAGICAL GIFT PROVIDED:  Permanent Farsee (as per the spell) 

MONRO THE INTRACTIBLE 

Monro is the founder of the modern Yelmalio cult. 

GEAS:  Remain celibate every Fire Day, Truth Week and Fire Season.   Dedicated followers pledge total celibacy. 

SPELL PROVIDED:  Bless Worshipers 

TRUTH RUNE MAGIC  

BLESS WORSHIPERS (Rune Magic, Ranged, Stackable, 1 pt.)  Each pt of Bless Worshipers allows the caster to target one additional friendly target with a beneficial spell.  This spell is cast simultaneously to the beneficial spell.  So for example, a Light Son who wishes to cast Shield 3 on himself and 4 other worshipers may do so by casting a single use of Shield 3 and 4 pts of Bless Worshipers. 

NAROKORIS THE WARRIOR 

This is the Hero Cult of the Phalanxes. 

MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENT:  Be a member of a Sun Dome Templar company. 

GEAS REQUIRED:  Wear no metal armor on one randomly determined hit location. 

SKILLS PROVIDED:  (Enemy) Tactics 

SPELL PROVIDED:  Spear of Accuracy 

LIGHT RUNE MAGIC 

SPEAR OF ACCURACY (Rune Magic, Touch, 1 pt.)  The next attack with the targeted spear ignores armor if it hits. 

PALISHON THE SAGE 

Palishon ruled Sun County from 1224-1273, and established the first comprehensive archives, preserving the cult’s religious and cultural lore, and spent his adult life painstakingly documenting and illustrating Yelmalios ways for future generations. His followers struggled and died during the Solitude of Testing, trying to preserve their charge. His worship has only recently been renewed.  

MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENTS:  Apprenticeship to an existing Sun County Sage.  Worshippers are exclusively Sun County Scholars and few of these privileged individuals exist. 

GEAS REQUIRED:  Speak only truth to everyone. 

SKILLS PROVIDED:  Research, Maintain Archive 

SPELLS PROVIDED:  Illuminate Obscure Fact, Illuminate Falsehood 

TRUTH RUNE MAGIC 

ILLUMINATE OBSCURE FACT (Rune Magic, Self, Non-Stackable, 1 pt.)  Gives the Caster +100% to his next use of any Lore or Research skill. 

ILLUMINATE FALSEHOOD (Rune Magic, Ranged = AE 5 m, 1 pt.)  The caster can tell if anyone is lying within 5m of the casting point.  If lies are spoken, the speakers mouth appears to radiate sickly green light, visible to any worshipper of Yelmalio. 

SON OF THE SUN 

An ancient demigod or aspect or Yelmalio who taught the Mystery of the Thousand Suns. 

GEAS REQUIRED:  Never seek shelter from Storms. 

SPELL PROVIDED:  Cloud Clear 

LIGHT RUNE MAGIC 

CLOUD CLEAR 

TOGTUVEI THE SEEKER 

Togtuvei was a hero in the time of the Darkness. He led his people to safety across the shattered world by traveling between the few outposts of Light and Life that remained.  

GEAS REQUIRED:  Never bathe. 

SKILLS PROVIDED:  Scout (Terrain) 

SPELLS PROVIDED:  Find the Path, Sense Sun Dome Temple. 

TRUTH RUNE MAGIC 

FIND THE PATH (Rune Magic, Self, 1 pt)  This spell gives the caster +100%to World Lore, Scout (Terrain) or similar skills for the purposes of finding a safe route through difficult terrain or similar feats. 

SENSE SUN DOME TEMPLE (Rune Magic, Self, 1 pt)  This spell gives the distance and duration of the nearest Sun Dome Temple. 

YELM THE EMPEROR 

MEMBERSHIP REQUIREMENT:  Must be a member of the Arinsor the Leader hero cult for at least five years. 

GEAS REQUIRED:  Never speak to or cooperate with Trolls or other Darkness worhippers or creatures.  

SPELL PROVIED:  Sunspear 

FIRE RUNE MAGIC 

SUNSPEAR 

CULTURAL NOTE 

Orlanthi Riddle Contests and Yelmalio 

Rune Levels of Orlanth Adventurous are required to challenge any Rune Level of Yelm they meet to a ritual riddle contest.  Thought it’s not required, some Orlanth Rune Lords choose to treat Yelmalians as if they were worshipers of Yelm and engage them with the greeting: 

Wandering Sun, Jealous Uncle 

I have a new Toy here, see it? 

Test me, twice if you can 

For a Gold Piece each right answer. 

If the Yelmalio worshipper agrees, they engage in a riddle contest of at least one question each, with a Gold Wheel given to the winner of each question. 

Purists point out that Yelmalio is Orlanth’s cousin, not his uncleThat is, if Yelmalio is even a real god, not some God Learner (ptewwy) corruption of righteous Elmal. 

• Like 2

Posted Yelmalio for comparison's sake. Here's my Elmal. Same Caveats apply. Also, in my game, each follower of a god with subcults each chose a single aspect/subcult to follow. Following more than one aspect of a god requires heroquesting.

ELMAL

(The Loyal Sun)

Elmal is the loyal sun god of the Orlanthi.  Or used to be.  In recent times, his cult has been rift by schism.  Most Elmali converted to the worship of Yelmalio, a god very much like Elmal but loyal to Yelm, the Dara Happan Sun Emperor.  Since the Yelmalians have been helpful to the Lunars, they’ve thrived while the loyal Elmali have dwindled.  Still, there are a few hold-out Elmali left.  Elmal’s runes are Light and Death.  Elmal do have far more fire related spells than Yelmalians.  Elmali says that makes Elmali better.  Yelmalians say that makes Elmali less pure and refined.

Followers of Elmal are always men, unless they are in the Redalda subcult, in which case they must be women.

Elmal Rune Levels are Rune Lords called Light Thanes.  They must have 90%+ in 1h or 2h pierce, 90%+ in Bow or Thrown Weapon, 90%+ in Scan, and 90%+ in two additional skills chosen from:  Ride, Stay Awake, Steadfast, Listen, Search, Sneak, or Defense.  They must have Mythology (Elmal) at 50%+.  Light Thanes roll 1d10 on DI.

CULT PERSONALITY SKILLS:  Brave, Steadfast

CULT RUNES: Fire, Truth

CULT SKILLS:  Endure Pain, Stay Awake, Mythology (Elmal), Pike and Shield

CULT BATTLE MAGIC:  Farsee, Firearrow (2), Fireblade (4), Ignite, Lantern (2) Light, Shimmer.  Elmal’s specialty spell is Shimmer.

Lantern (Battle Magic, 2pts) When cast upon a shield or other polished metal surface, the target becomes a light source.  This light is as bright as full daylight for a 50m cone in front of the light source and provides low light for 10m around the light source.

CULT RUNE METALS:  Iron, Gold

COMMON RUNE MAGIC:  All

ELMAL’S COMMON RUNE MAGIC

(available to all worshippers regardless of subcult)

FIRE RUNE MAGIC

BLAZING SPEAR (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt).  Replaces Spear damage with 3d6 Fire damage.  Each additional pt adds +1d6 Fire damage.

SHIELD

FIGHT CHAOS (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt).  Each pt of the spell gives the target a +10% to hit and +2 to damage and +10% to resistance checks vs. Chaos things.

FIGHT UZ (Rune Magic, Ranged, Touch, 1 pt).  Each pt of the spell gives the target a +10% to hit and +2 to damage and +10% to resistance checks vs. Uz (Trolls).

UNFALTERING DEFENSE (Rune Magic, Self, Stackable, 3 pts).  While under the influence of this spell, the caster can parry all incoming melee attacks without reducing skill.

BLINDING FLASH (Rune Magic, Stackable, Ranged, 1 pt.)  Temporarily blinds the target.  Roll a Resistance Roll against the target.  For each pt the Resistance is overcome, the target is blind for 1 round.  Additional pts add +25% to the resistance roll, double the range, or add 1 target.

SUNBRIGHT 

RESIST DARKNESS (Rune Magic, Ranged, Instant, Stackable, 1 pt).  Each pt of the spell adds 25% to Resistance checks vs Darkness related spells (Such as Blindess) or against Darkness Elemental attacks and provides 1 AP vs Darkness related damage (such as Crush or a Shade’s Damage Aura).

CATSEYE

SUBCULTS

Elmal has several major subcults.

ANATYR THE CHIEFTAIN

(God of Clan Chieftains)

When Orlanth left on the Lightbringers quest, he left Elmal in charge of his tula.  Anatyr, Elmal’s son, continued this succession.  Pre-schism, some clans used to have Elmali leadership.  If this ever happens again, the leader can initiate into the subcult of Anatyr in addition to any other subcult so long as he’s chieftain.

Anatyr gives lots of leadership magic beyond the scope of current game play.  Moving along.

BEREN THE RIDER

(God of Horses and Horsemen)

CULT PERSONALITY SKILL: Love Horses

CULT SKILLS:  Herd Horses, Kuschile Horse Archery, Ride By Attack

BEAST RUNE MAGIC

BEFRIEND HORSE (Rune Magic, Ranged, 1 pt.)  If the caster overcomes a horse’s resistance with this spell, the horse will trust him and allow him to ride it.

SPEAK TO HORSE (Rune Magic, Ranged, 1 pt.)  Allows the caster to speak with horses. 

SPEED HORSE (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt)  Doubles the movement rate of the target horse.  Each additional pt adds an additional 1x.  So 2pts = 3x normal, 3pts = 4x normal.

STAY MOUNTED (Rune Magic, Self, 1 pt.) The caster must be mounted when casting this spell.  While under the influence of this spell, the caster automatically succeeds in any riding check to stay mounted.  He can add his Ride/10 to his MPs to resist any spell that would unhorse him.

STEADY HOURSE (Rune Magic, Touch, 1 pt) If the caster overcomes a horse’s resistance with this spell, the horse will act as if battle trained for the duration of the spell.  This also renders the horse immune to fear effects for the duration of the spell.

RAPID CHARGE (Rune Magic, Touch, 1 pt) The caster must be mounted when casting this spell.  As soon as this spell is cast, the rider may immediately move up to his mounts full movement in a straight line.  He may attack any one enemy at the end of this charge.  Casting the spell, the move, and the attack all count as a single action.

FIRE RUNE MAGIC

SURESHOT (Rune Magic, Self, 1 pt) The caster’s next missile weapon shot is +100%to attack.

BEREN’S SECRET          

BECOME ONE WITH HORSE (Rune Magic, Self, 3 pts) The caster must be mounted when casting this spell.  While under the influence of this spell, the caster automatically succeeds in any riding check to stay mounted.  He can add his Ride/10 to his MPs to resist any spell that would unhorse him. Additionally, the caster’s riding skill no longer limits any of his other skills while mounted.  Instead the rider applies his Ride/5 as a bonus to all skills used while mounted.  Finally, the caster and the horse are in Mindlink, as per the spell and the caster can use the Horse’s MPs as if it were a bound spirit.  Hostile horses can resist this spell, but trained mounts or sentient horse allies will usually not.

ELMAL HEARTHGUARD

(Watchman, Guard, Weaponthane)

The default Elmal subcult.  This is the cult of stedguards, defenders, and loyal thanes.

CULT SKILLS:  Tactics, Design Fortifications

TRUTH RUNE MAGIC

DEFEND WALL (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt.) Each pt gives a targeted defensive structure 2 ap and 2 pts of countermagic.  Additionally, spells targeting the structure must overcome the Elmali’s MP to affect the structure (unless the structure has more MP on its own)

ENDURE WOUND (Rune Magic, Touch, 1 pt)  Cast on a single wound on a still living target.  The targeted wound can be ignored for the duration of this spell.  It does not count against total HP, injured or lost limbs are restored to function.  Once the spell expires or is dispelled, the full effect of the wound returns.

LOCK PORTAL (Rune Magic, Ranged, Stackable, 1 pt.) This spell glues shut a targeted doorway, gate, or other portal with a STR of 20.  Each additional pt adds +20 STR.

REFLECTION

STANDFAST (Rune Magic, Ranged, 1 pt.)  This spell makes the target immune to Fear and Demoralize effects.  Each additional point allows for one additional target.

DEATH RUNE MAGIC

MULTIPLE JAVELIN SPELL (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt.)  Adds an additional javelin to a Javilen Throw.  Each pt adds one more Javelin.  This spell does not stack with Multimissile, but does stack with other missile weapon enhancing magic, such as Firearrow (which affects each extra javelin).

UNBREAKABLE SPEAR (Rune Magic, Touch, Stackable, 1 pt) The targeted spear cannot be broken, even by Sunder attacks or other spells, for the duration of this spell.

SECRET

SURVIVE UNTIL DAWN (Rune Magic, Self, Duration = Special, 3 pts.)  If the caster is killed while under the influence of this spell, he is returned to life and is stabilized at 0 hp and cannot be killed by any means until the following dawn.  He remains alive but comatose until the next dawn (24 hours maximum), at which point the spell expires and the caster dies.  If the caster is healed in the interim, he will not die at dawn.  The caster can only be stabilized in this way once per casting, so if the caster dies, is healed to consciousness, then dies again, he will be truly dead.  If the caster casts this spell and is not killed before the following dawn, the spell expires.

ELMALHARA THE GROWER

Elmal’s Fertility aspect.  Helps the crops grow.  Good for farmers.  Boring for you.  Moving on.

REDALDA

Horse-mother.  A way in to Elmal membership for women.  A few Redaldans fight in the fyrd with the Vingans.  Not really an adventurer cult otherwise.

LIGHT RUNE SPELLS:  Comforting Glow, Rekindle Hearth Fire

SECRET:  Become Horse

RIGSDAL

(Polestar and Nightwatchman)

The Night Watchman.  This star god can be worshipped on his own or as a subcult of Humakt, Elmal, or Vinga.

CULT SKILLS:  Star Lore

CULT RUNE METAL:  Silver

LIGHT RUNE SPELLS

CLOUD CLEAR

DARK VISION

SEE INTO BRIGHTNESS (Rune Magic, Touch, Duration = 6 hours, Stackable, 1 pt)  This spell makes the target immune to blinding by bright light, glare, or other negative modifiers to sight based skills based on harsh light, both natural and magical.  Each additional pt doubles the number of targets.  This spell does not reverse blindness if already in effect.

ELMAL HERO CULTS

Elmal has many, many hero cults.  Each offers access to either a rune spell, a magic gift, or a special combat technique in exchange for taking on a geas.  Here are just a few:

KUSCHILE THE HORSE ARCHER

This Hero Cult celebrates an ancient Elmali hero. 

SKILL PROVIDED:  Start Kuschile Horse Archery at 25% or get +25% to Kuschile Horse Archery if already known.

GEAS:  Never let a horse suffer needlessly.

CULT BEHAVIOR:  Members of this hero cult always wear a yellow feather on their armor.

LASTERNOS LONGSEER

MAGICAL GIFT PROVIDED:  Permanent Farsee (as per the spell)

GEAS:  Never eat the meat of birds.

SON OF THE SUN

SPELL PROVIDED:  Members may sacrifice for the rune spell Cloud Clear.

GEAS:  Never seek shelter from Storms.

MAHOME THE HEARTH GODDESS

Elmal was a protector of Mahome in the Darkness Times.

MAGICAL GIFT PROVIDED:  Take only ½ damage from fire.

GEAS: Never help, cooperate with, speak to, flee from or surrender to any Troll or Darkness worshipper.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, svensson said:

Well, I promised you all my final writeup by today, so here it is.

This isn't 1000% in accordance to every single bit of lore we have. I've done my best to make a Storm cult with Elmal's focus that isn't dependent on Yelmalio for its myths or its conflicts. As I said earlier, I think of this as being two sects of Christians who worship the same God for the same reasons, but they focus on different roles, doctrine, and theology.

And, as always, Your Glorantha Will Vary.

CULT of ELMAL. The Loyal Thane, The Sun Horse 

Elmal is a former servant of Yelm, the Sun God, and the keeper of his horses. In the God Time, Chalana Arroy healed Elmal of his blindness, reducing the Light of his own radience so that he might see and consider other ways. He eventually came to serve Orlanth, seeing the benefits of Change. During the Great Darkness, when Orlanth departed on the Lightbringer’s Quest, Elmal served the Storm people as Orlanth’s Thane. He protected the people against the depredations of Chaos, striving always to protect and preserve the people against Orlanth’s return. 

Since Time began, he provides the Storm people with an exemplar of Honor and Courage by protecting the people and patrolling the clan tula. He provides the pantheon with minor access to Fire magics and is patron of the horses of the Storm Folk. 

Lay Membership 

Any Storm pantheon initiate may purchase lay membership by paying a simple annual fee of 5 lunars to the priest on the Cult Holy Day. This provides access to training in the cult skills at normal rates as time is available by skill masters. 

Initiate Membership 

Initiation is automatic for the children of initiates. It otherwise has standard requirements. Cult members are trained in Ride Horse to 40% and the cult Spirit Magic Spell Ignite for free. 

While Elmal is primarily a male cult, it holds no bias against female members. Cult members are forbidden to learn any Light or Fire extinguishing spell, with the exception being the Rune Magic spell Rain. 

Cult Skills: Bow, Herd, Ride Horse, Scan Shield, Spear 

Cult Spirit Magic: Ignite taught for free. Detect Enemies, Firearrow, Fireblade, Lantern, Mobility, Shimmer. 

Sun Thane Membership 

The Cult of Elmal has no priests. Rune Lords of Elmal are termed Sun Thanes and have the normal requirements. 

Skills required are: Ride Horse @ 90%, Bow or Spear @90%, Scan @ 90%, any two skills from the following list at 90%: Cult Lore [Elmal], Herd, Shield, Search, Track, Worship Elmal, another weapon attack. 

Associate Cult Magics:  

Apologies for coming in so late....

Firstly, I am an Elmali supporter, and have complete contempt for those Yelmalio twats! (They can stick their pikes where their sun is hiding! :p)

Secondly...

Why have you chosen to go with Bow instead of Javelin for them? Or perhaps a Sling? (the bow reeks of Yelm, while the javelin associates itself nicely with Vinga. Sling is just an Orlanthi weapon in general - very easy to find ammunition and wield in a barbarian belt).

Secondly, although Elmal is a horse god, I never got the impression from all the Elmal stuff I've read that he's a horse combatant. So, I see him as riding to a battle, and then getting off. This is sort of born out with his Guard the Stead motif of not defending on horseback.

IMG, I don't push Elmal's fire side, because it's not pushed strongly in the myths, other than he came from the fire tribe. And so, for me, Ignite wouldn't automatically be taught to all Initiates (although, would be available somewhere). Similarly, the Fireblade and FireArrow aren't specifically his either (Ok, we might argue about the first). OTOH, Heal is a must! As is Farsee for someone who rides out to patrol the reaches. Given the role of protector, Protection seems quite logical as well (yes, it's incompatible with Shimmer, but I'm not convinced by the Shimmer addition). If they're skirmishers, then Speedart becomes almost necessary too.

Why did you give Lantern instead of Light?? For me, Light would come before the Lantern, in order of what would be learned/makes more sense in the myth-cycles - the light in the darkness - not the lighthouse or pointing the way.

I wouldn't give Lightning from Orlanth... Wind Words makes much more sense (after all, how else to you tell the fyrd to prepare for an impending attack from the Chaos and Evil in the world?)

I get why you want TrueSpear... but I feel it's more offensive than defensive. Given Elmal's ability to hold off Chaos (very mythical), perhaps a Face Chaos  or Impede Chaos? Or, replace True Spear with FireSpear... I think it keeps the mythology a bit better.

Summon & Control (small) Fire Elemental also makes sense for me - in keeping with the fire powers still retained.

And as much as you don't want to create any new Rune spells, how about Bless Foaling - a horse-only version of Bless Pregnancy (I can so see Elmalis willing to boost a prized steed)??

Anyway, just my version...

Edited by Shiningbrow

On 4/9/2023 at 1:40 AM, Bren said:

I'll be interested to see what you come up with. Just thinking aloud...keeping the home and hearth safe and mounted combat aren't connected in my mind. Yes, yes, I know knights were mounted and they guarded their own castles, but, mounted warriors seem to be more of a natural fit with going off on journeys, quests, and raids than with staying home.

I disagree.

Going off to war for weeks on end makes sense to march, not ride (except for the rich people who can afford horses). Most of our history is about that. In fact, the 'knights on horseback' is only a very small percentage of the whole army, and only a fairly recent thing in human lust for blood.

Another issue with doing it all on horseback - the raid! Sure, it can work in some situations, but dragging along your ill-gotten gains is also a typical thing IRL.

Taking all those warriors away means there's very few left at home to do all the patrolling, and so the solo mounted patrol makes a lot more sense.

On 4/9/2023 at 1:22 PM, Rodney Dangerduck said:

You can make the same argument for many cults.

"People get wounded, need crops blessed, and face oathbreakers in distant villages.  Therefore Chalana Arroy, Ernalda, and Babs Gor need horse (or mobility) magic...

Except, you need those defenders there now - not in an hour. The crops can wait a few days, and the oathbreaker isn't going to get too far away... (sure, the healer is important, but you only need a Heal 1 to let them wait for the full-time healer to arrive). If you need that healer there now, then the Elmali can double them up.