The Hero Wars, New Gods, Praxian Renaissance?

svensson

I suppose this is a question for @Jeff or @Rick Meints , but I'll propose it to the Collective Shrunken Head.

We know that the Hero Wars are a time of great mystical upheaval for Glorantha, almost a Second GodTime, where the rules of Time are being stretched and flexed. Possibilities that no one believes could exist become realities. We know that Argrath apotheosizes into a God to directly confront the Red Goddess.

But do other Gods come into existence too?

As a 'for instance' that would set one of the favored 'sandboxes' [pun intended] on fire, what would happen if some of the lost Minor Tribe ancestors of Prax were reborn? What if Basmol the Lion and Grandfather Rhino [among others] were mystically regenerated by the energies of the Hero Wars?

I would **certainly** lead to a lot of conflict among the Tribes as the scales rebalanced themselves. And in conflict we find adventure.

What do you guys think?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, svensson said:

What do you guys think?

Sounds like a frickin' cool idea to me. Something that could really mark your campaign as your unique campaign, but still solidly grounded in the logic and lore of the setting. 

Would the minor gods recoalesce on their own or would their respective tribes use a combination of heroquesting and the increase in ambient magical energies of the Hero Wars to bring them back into existence?  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, svensson said:

As a 'for instance' that would set one of the favored 'sandboxes' [pun intended] on fire, what would happen if some of the lost Minor Tribe ancestors of Prax were reborn? What if Basmol the Lion and Grandfather Rhino [among others] were mystically regenerated by the energies of the Hero Wars?

Why not add cleansing and reconnecting Seolinthur after finding or rebuilding their (male/female not sure) head and resurrecting Genert as well. Been looking at that in other threads... should be an epic set of quests with Hero Quests built in, love it.

When will it be on DTRPG, get with Soltakss, he has a good start on it already!

I am content with the existing gods, especially if you are bring back the departed ones but hey, many smaller local spirts/sub cults could be part of this.. add some Trickster aspects as well?

Edited by Erol of Backford
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, svensson said:

I suppose this is a question for @Jeff or @Rick Meints , but I'll propose it to the Collective Shrunken Head.

We know that the Hero Wars are a time of great mystical upheaval for Glorantha, almost a Second GodTime, where the rules of Time are being stretched and flexed. Possibilities that no one believes could exist become realities. We know that Argrath apotheosizes into a God to directly confront the Red Goddess.

I would **certainly** lead to a lot of conflict among the Tribes as the scales rebalanced themselves. And in conflict we find adventure.

What do you guys think?

This is a great idea, and honestly pretty fundamental to what the Hero Wars mean, cosmologically.

I'd play a return of lost "tribe founders" as mostly being PC projects, multiple adventures & multiple heroquests (except for returns of their rivals and/or opponents, of course).

Note that Basmol only "died" locally (i.e., only in Prax).
Other Basmoli lion-folk exist, with their connection to Basmol -- and powers from Basmol -- intact.

Waha's Grisly Portions; Genert & the hyena-skins, Glorious Yamsur, etc...

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

Well, I wasn't thinking in terms of resurrecting Genert... That might be a little bit above my pay grade, mythologically speaking 😂

But I really could see a band of Beast Rider nomads entering the Spirit Plane or Hell the source of their spirit traditions to some of the tribes.

@soltakss, you lookin' for a collaborator?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, svensson said:

But I really could see a band of Beast Rider nomads entering the Spirit Plane or Hell the source of their spirit traditions to some of the tribes.

Maybe not beast riders but rather a ragtag group of displaced PC's from all over, who ride horses of course, think that the mostly outlander civilized folk are the ones who think outside the box and are able to make it happen looking past traditional tribal bickering?

Edited by Erol of Backford

8 hours ago, svensson said:

We know that Argrath apotheosizes into a God to directly confront the Red Goddess.

no we don't  😛

we know that is the story priests tell centuries later

in some of my gloranthas (pure concept, not table because I don't play this kind of things, I stay in 1600+), yes that was it

in another one, Argrath was just a tool who  destroyed the gods. Oh I'm not saying there was no apotheosis ceremony, but who can say if he joined the divinity and not just "die" ?

in another one, Argrath (and those behind him) sever the mundane world and the others, without any "door", so no magic, no spirits, no gods

in the last one there was no Argrath, no first, second or third age, maybe never chaos.. That is just the stories the priests tell to keep their power on the people

etc...

in fact the "true" history is what you want

• Like 2

3 hours ago, g33k said:

Waha's Grisly Portions; Genert & the hyena-skins, Glorious Yamsur, etc...

I have had so many questions about this since reading the travels of the merchant Mr. Varosh...
To rebuild Genert you need hyena skins which are bad news for Issaries merchants as they become obligated to take the skins into the Wastes to help this effort? How and why, where? How could a Hyena Trickster weigh in here? Maybe they are a shaman who dances around wearing a hyena head. What rituals would be involved to embody the spirit of Hyena and help make Genert again? Theoretically if enough parts of his body are brought back together, Genert can actually be resurrected but how many skins? Why not make this part of a campaign where the PC's become desert trackers after befriending the famous guy in Pavis and actually set up a trader path to the Bog. What portion of Genert wasn't eaten by Hyena if any and where is it, maybe in the Bog itself, so it requires the Bog to be cleansed, resurrecting Seolinthur in the process somehow... lots of giant insects and gorp, a Stormbull shrine is needed and of course a Gorki altar too due to the giant insects? Do the hyena skins need to be stitched to the remaining part of Genert after it is found and cleansed in like a patchwork quilt and if so is it with silver sheep wool thread? Where do you get that? Chaos dwarf herders in the Tunneled Hills I am guessing?

6 minutes ago, Erol of Backford said:

To rebuild Genert you need hyena skins … Theoretically if enough parts of his body are brought back together, Genert can actually be resurrected but how many skins?

Be careful:

• Maybe you can bring Genert back, but do you really want to? What do you know for certain about him? What if he is not what you expect? (You find a blueprint for a superweapon; you don’t really understand how it works, but you think you see how the pieces fit together. What could possibly go wrong?)
  • If you wave your magic wand over a big pile of old hyena skins, maybe you don’t get Genert but a Frankenstein’s hyena zombie god — “And he asked her, What is thy name? And she answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.” Tasty!
  • Like 4

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

On 4/28/2023 at 12:30 PM, svensson said:

I am fairly convinced that there will be other people besides Argrath to achieve apotheosis. Things like that happen all the time (well, once or twice per century and a million people, to give an entirely arbitrary guesstimate, prove me wrong). With the Lunar Empire promoting a much higher rate of ascension to the Red Moon, whether that is going to prove to be a permanent apotheosis or just a Glamour.

Reawakening deities like Baroshi, Tanian and whoever else may have made it back into the sky is a symptom of the Hero Wars, as are the five Arkats. None of these are (yet) big news like e.g. the Crimson Bat was when ridden home by Teelo Estara (who herself was even bigger news).

On 4/28/2023 at 12:30 PM, svensson said:

What do you guys think?

Reassembling Genert and Tada are the big possibilities east of Sartar. Repairing Basmol directly clashes with attempts to reassemble Tada, as both claim the lion skin/loincloth.

Getting back all those lost sons of Eiritha and the Storm Bull would be an extraordinary feat in the Wastes. Although, if accompanied by Genert, possibly another nail into the coffin of Waha's Covenant.

Making Eiritha rise up from her hills to greet her returned father would be another strange change completely ruining Prax. The return of the Redwood Forest savannah would be little more than a footnote to that.

Bringing back the rivers of the Wastes, or bringing in a replacement river for Seolinthur might be feasible, too. How such deep Sea lore would make its way into the dry parts, and called in by whom would be another weird matter, but the River of Cradles Troubled Waters heroquest might be a good start. (On a comparable scale to the major task as the difference between bringing back the Red Cows or bringing back the Aurochs from the giants' stead in the Cinsina campaign.)

A Praxian happy end would see the Wastes restored to chaparral, with year-around fertile spots available and oases awakened. Such a state has never been before, however. It would take some heavy lifting in terms of heroquesting to imprint such a mythical non-past onto the remains of Genert's Garden (which was far lusher and had no need for the Covenant). But maybe the chaos-tainted dwarfs of the Tunneled Hills might be tricked into a travesty of the Somelz project achieving such an end?

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

I was thinking of something rather less 'epic' than resurrecting Genert, animating Eiritha, and so on. My idea is more of a 'balance of power' shift on the Plains as some minor tribes were rejuvenated by the reappearance of their deceased Grandmother spirits [the Rhinos come to mind].

The idea is something of a 'temporal HeroQuest' or campaign where PCs have to find, protect, and nurture an infant [calf/kid/cub] as it becomes a new Grandmother for the tribe.

I'm not 100% up on my Plains cultures myths, but in the very broad brush it might be thought of as a 'white buffalo' quest.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, svensson said:

a 'white buffalo' quest.

That spirit is called the White Bull, and was bound to/by Argrath, leading all the able-bodied young warriors astray into the western wetlands. Of course, a white heifer might counterbalance that.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

28 minutes ago, Joerg said:

That spirit is called the White Bull, and was bound to/by Argrath, leading all the able-bodied young warriors astray into the western wetlands. Of course, a white heifer might counterbalance that.

@Joerg I'm not talking about a specific White Bull/Buffalo heroquest. I'm talking about the rejuvenation of ONE TRIBE'S spirit tradition when their deceased Grandmother [beast] Spirit is reborn on the Mundane Plane and the PCs have to protect it for the good of the tribe.

2 hours ago, svensson said:

The idea is something of a 'temporal HeroQuest' or campaign where PCs have to find, protect, and nurture an infant [calf/kid/cub] as it becomes a new Grandmother for the tribe.

i love this idea 🙂

However it should be a true heroquest then, starting mundane but with a need to "fix" the "infant" in all the worlds (spirit world, awaken, ...)

some ideas i just have (your idea is inspiring 😛 )

station 1: the birth

the mother is the first of the herd, all the tribe praises the clan for her, she gives birth but dies.

the baby is weird, maybe too many horns, an abnormal extraordinary color (not white, I follow @Joerg, it is "booked" by Argrath)

for any reason the pc love the baby (at least one with passion 70+, I would say a player who wants to play a priestess , and other if they want)

of course at least one priestess is angry against her (mother was the best ever seen, that's the fault of the baby, sacrifice her to the peace of her mother)

so there is debate ( is it a curse or a blessing ? ) fear, opposition, and maybe if they manage wrong some powerful ennemy

station 2: what do we do ?

it is time to define a politic, divination, summon ancestors, ... It is not clear. The elders say that the pcs should ask a very very old (+120 year), secrretive hermit (a shaman). He may have some answer.

Of course travel, encounter, ...

station 3: what do we do (bis) ?

Once arrived the shaman refuses to help them for any reason (so old that the pcs were not born) They have to convince and repair the clan's "fault"

station 4: maybe we can decide what we do ?

the shaman at least agree to ask the spirits. For any reason he wants the pc to come with him in the spirit world (sacrifice pow, learn spell,etc... maybe a pc will discover how attractive is the shaman path)

in any good spirit place, they meet a great beast ancestor (not at the beast level but something anterior, more powerful, like Fralar if you think about Telmor - but I don't know the praxian genealogy sorry) who welcomes the baby as a powerful "recipient" (?). Some oath and passion must be accepted to protect the baby (and to not be destroyed by the spirit by the way)

station 5: what does that eat ?

milk, but not only, they must feed the spirit (pow) of the baby to.. one day see its awakening as a great and powerful Spirit. So visit the different sacred places to obtain blessing from Eirtha of course, but not only, some obscure sub cults, spirits cults, etc... should be visited too. Sometimes they need to  bring back from the other world some magical stuff, just to "summon" a spirit and obtain its blessing

that could be interesting to define one station by "power" you get (long life, speed, dammage, resistance, fertility, milk, etc...)

station 78: it is time to roll new characters !

after a lot of adventures (mundane and heroic) some political challenges (other tribes dislike the idea to see their tribe more powerful, other clans in their tribemay be jealous , etc...) it is time to awake the beast now fairly mature. Of course Waha is the best way, but after some divination, to obtain not just a spirit but The Spirit, they have to visit the hell and bring back some boon/legacy from the "previous" grandmother as a component for the spell. That's the biggest and most dangerous quest / scenario they should have (a kind of life bringer quest) If they succes, all the clans, maybe some allied tribes, of course the most sacred priestesses and the most powerful khan of the tribe join to a festival, big ceremony, and during the night, the calf, now adult, -or the grand mother reincarnated - speaks and lead the tribe to some secret grassland...

except if there is some issue and at the end of the day, it is not the grand mother but eurmal who takes place in the body, who knows...

Edited by French Desperate WindChild
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, svensson said:

@soltakss, you lookin' for a collaborator?

Always!

I am a bit stretched for time at the moment, but am happy to work on things with other people. 

20 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

To rebuild Genert you need hyena skins which are bad news for Issaries merchants as they become obligated to take the skins into the Wastes to help this effort? How and why, where? How could a Hyena Trickster weigh in here? Maybe they are a shaman who dances around wearing a hyena head.

I did this in my last Gloranthan Campaign.

The Growing Ground was a Hidden green deep below the Wastes, where Genert's body was being reformed. It had the Stitchers (Earth-Nymph Daughters of Genert, or their descendants, who stiched the various pieces together), the Vomitors (Hyena folk you vomited the bits of Genert and then returned to the surface, so that you didn't need to kill all Hyenas to bring back Genert), and the Trackers (Worshippers of Caarith who searched the Wastes for Hyenas and for pieces of Genert).

The Adventurers summoned all Hyenas to the Gorwing Ground and got them all to vomit up bits of Genert, then the Stitchers stitched the bits together. 

What rituals would be involved to embody the spirit of Hyena and help make Genert again? Theoretically if enough parts of his body are brought back together, Genert can actually be resurrected but how many skins?

The Rituals are new, of course, as nobody has resurrected Genert before. The Adventurers in my campaign had practice bringing Pavis back from the Green Age and in resurrecting Tada, so they already had some ideas. They used the rituals from the Growing Ground and merged them with their own to create new, more powerful ones. It needs to be Adventurer=-led otherwise it becomes boring.

How many skins? All of them, of course, or all the bits vomited up by the Hyenas.

Why not make this part of a campaign where the PC's become desert trackers after befriending the famous guy in Pavis and actually set up a trader path to the Bog.

Our Adventurers did something similar,. They gained a Skill of Sense Genert, or really Sense Earth being as they used it for Tada as well, that allowed them to feel when a piece of Genert was nearby. They could use it to identify the missing pieces and bring them to the Growing Ground. The funniest piece was in the form of a twenty foot tall totem pole that turned out to be part of Genert's Fertility and was "carried" by Shan Agar, our female Shaman, who gained the Hero Power of Become Man because of it. They also found Genert's bones, eyes, tongue, liver and heart, among other organs.

What portion of Genert wasn't eaten by Hyena if any and where is it, maybe in the Bog itself, so it requires the Bog to be cleansed, resurrecting Seolinthur in the process somehow... lots of giant insects and gorp, a Stormbull shrine is needed and of course a Gorki altar too due to the giant insects?

Our Adventurers didn't resurrect Seolinthur, as such, but did bring the power of the Zola Fel to the Wastes, as River Voices, effectively achieving the same results.

Do the hyena skins need to be stitched to the remaining part of Genert after it is found and cleansed in like a patchwork quilt and if so is it with silver sheep wool thread? Where do you get that? Chaos dwarf herders in the Tunneled Hills I am guessing?

Of course you would stitch the pieces of skin together, how else would you reform the body?

I didn't specify the thread, but I wouldn't get it from the Tunnelled Hills, as they are Chaotic and you don't want Chaos anywhere near this.

19 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

Maybe you can bring Genert back, but do you really want to? What do you know for certain about him? What if he is not what you expect? (You find a blueprint for a superweapon; you don’t really understand how it works, but you think you see how the pieces fit together. What could possibly go wrong?)

In our Campaign, things got a bit weird when Genert started to exert his dominance, as Earth King, trying to usurp Ernalda's position as Earth Queen. I think they resolved it by saying there can be an Earth King and an Earth Queen, sharing power, maybe even marrying them to each other.

19 hours ago, mfbrandi said:

If you wave your magic wand over a big pile of old hyena skins, maybe you don’t get Genert but a Frankenstein’s hyena zombie god — “And he asked her, What is thy name? And she answered, saying, My name is Legion: for we are many.” Tasty!

Our Adventurers managed to avoid that, only after I had pointed out that they could get a zombie Frankenstein Genert instead.

One of the things they did was to enliven his soul by sacrificing one thousand people and putting them into an earth-cube grave, ten by ten wide and ten deep. I was expecting all kinds of moral outrage but it very quickly became an exercise in logistics.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

In our campaign, the Adventurers saw the White Bull Spirit, I think they had a Critical roll when on a HeroQuest or something. The Zebra Rider was most put out when he realised that his Zebra turned pure white when with other members, effectively making it look like a horse. They also met Nomads from other Tribes, and occasionally their mounts would turn white when they met the Adventurers, revealing themselves as fellow members of the White Bull Society. They were shocked when the Adventurers turned up, as the Nomads didn't know that other Tribes had the White Bull Society. 

They even found members of the White Stallion when a bunch of Pentians invaded Prax and some of their horses turned white when the Adventurers showed up, thus revealing that the White Stallion and White Bull were one and the same, preventing a war and allowing the Adventurers to prove a link between the Pentians and the Pure Horse Tribe of Prax.

For us, the idea that Argrath did everything was boring to the Nth Degree.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

2 hours ago, soltakss said:

got them all to vomit up bits of Genert

Could just be earth made for droppings, buffalo chips, poop... from the hyenas, some special soil, portions dispersed/found all over Prax? Where hyenas would have traveled and how to gather it, not unlike the skins... Some bits would have been metal, bones of Genert as well. Would some sort of divination spell or perhaps a special mirror that shows a begone time would permit visions of the past allowing the portions of Genert, other gods to be seen and tracked? Sort of like a magical Minelab Manticore Metal Detector, could be a Leonardo invention the PC's borrow? In lieu of the Locate Sun Dome spell it'd might be Sense Genert? Where would you find this spell, a forgotten shrine or possibly under Snakepipe Hollow in an old temple we all know and love that partly exists on the Hero Plane? Don't the dwarves have a way to find metal? It'd be like a giant scavenger hunt across Prax and even possibly outside thereof in some instances? Some of the skins would be magical like in the Sandheart Scenarios, and need to obtained, the silver wool thread sounds interesting as well. Possibly some weapons made from Genert's bones need to be obtained and melted down or molded, the gorp mud (keep going back to this) from the throne needs to be cleansed as used... Genert is reconstructed like a giant bronze framed ceramic terracotta anthropomorphic figure fired by Oakfed in a giant kiln made by the dwarves of Pavis? They'd need a lot of wood and pine needles to fire the body and glaze it properly before attaching and then sew the skins on with the silver wool thread... I am guessing the dwarves as part of their rebuilding the world machine project would love to have Genert back on line and ideally would the Pavis Quarry into a giant kiln? Of course this pahse of the project would have a number/pattern/sequence of operation to follow? Some of the original Hero Quests conducted by Pavis during the EWF would need to be investigated and some reenacted, possibly? The elves of the Garden would furnish wood for the kiln... What shape would Genert take and at what scale... still crazy scarry it could turn into a mummified mass of destruction as Mr. Brandi described...

image.png.1cc20bafc0f42e01b0d8af41d6b2cbb2.png image.png.b83c76f44e34460342d57a579a09701f.png  ArtStation - Medusa Warrior Gird in Rings of Light, Ohma is Both Arbitrator & Warrior! (29)

15 hours ago, soltakss said:

One of the things they did was to enliven his soul by sacrificing one thousand people and putting them into an earth-cube grave, ten by ten wide and ten deep. I was expecting all kinds of moral outrage but it very quickly became an exercise in logistics.

Who where the sacrificed ? Something on that scale feels fraught with risks, especially if the sacrificed didn't volunteer for the job.

23 minutes ago, Manunancy said:

Who where the sacrificed ? Something on that scale feels fraught with risks, especially if the sacrificed didn't volunteer for the job.

Slaves, prisoners, captives from raids, basically they emptied the prisons, bought lots of slaves and raided tribes.

27 minutes ago, Manunancy said:

Isn't the eternal battle still being fought way too close for comfort to the mundane world in Prax - the spirit armies of Storm Bull still fight the followers of Wakboth, to keep his power contained? If you sacrifice a thousand people in a gigantic and rather morally dubious resurrection spell, and open a gate to the otherworld big enough for a god to step through, it might not be Genert you resurrect. 

Edited by EricW
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

Could just be earth made for droppings, buffalo chips, poop... from the hyenas, some special soil, portions dispersed/found all over Prax? Where hyenas would have traveled and how to gather it, not unlike the skins... Some bits would have been metal, bones of Genert as well. Would some sort of divination spell or perhaps a special mirror that shows a begone time would permit visions of the past allowing the portions of Genert, other gods to be seen and tracked? Sort of like a magical Minelab Manticore Metal Detector, could be a Leonardo invention the PC's borrow? In lieu of the Locate Sun Dome spell it'd might be Sense Genert?

Yes, basically the Adventurers sped up the process a lot by using some of those techniques. Rather than fetching individual Hyenas they contacted Grandfather Hyena and so attracted all Hyenas, for example. They brought new ways of looking at things, instead of using the tried and tested ways.

I used visions and so on. I can't remember if they had something that pointed to the nearest piece but that makes a lot of sense and makes it easier to find the pieces.

Where would you find this spell, a forgotten shrine or possibly under Snakepipe Hollow in an old temple we all know and love that partly exists on the Hero Plane? Don't the dwarves have a way to find metal? It'd be like a giant scavenger hunt across Prax and even possibly outside thereof in some instances? Some of the skins would be magical like in the Sandheart Scenarios, and need to obtained, the silver wool thread sounds interesting as well.

One of the pieces was in the Rainbow Mounds  but the Adventurers didn't realise it until they got close to the original River Voices and had Sense Genert. It was very much like a scavenger hunt across Prax, the Wastes and nearby areas. The Campaign had two main parts, being River Voices and being Earth Children, sometimes the two overlapped a lot.

Possibly some weapons made from Genert's bones need to be obtained and melted down or molded, the gorp mud (keep going back to this) from the throne needs to be cleansed as used...

The Adventurers cleansed Genert's Throne, on the Plateau of Statues, and brought him back in Genert's Hall, also on the Plateau of Statues.

Genert is reconstructed like a giant bronze framed ceramic terracotta anthropomorphic figure fired by Oakfed in a giant kiln made by the dwarves of Pavis? They'd need a lot of wood and pine needles to fire the body and glaze it properly before attaching and then sew the skins on with the silver wool thread... I am guessing the dwarves as part of their rebuilding the world machine project would love to have Genert back on line and ideally would the Pavis Quarry into a giant kiln? Of course this pahse of the project would have a number/pattern/sequence of operation to follow?

I love the idea of remaking Genert in a kiln. I am not sure if Genert forms part of the Mostali World Machine, but he could do quite easily.

Some of the original Hero Quests conducted by Pavis during the EWF would need to be investigated and some reenacted, possibly? The elves of the Garden would furnish wood for the kiln... What shape would Genert take and at what scale... still crazy scarry it could turn into a mummified mass of destruction as Mr. Brandi described...

Of course, that is exactly what the Adventurers did. They investigated, found and opened up lots of Hidden Greens, planted a Seed of Flamal in each one to enliven it further, then went to the Green Age and brought Lord Pavis back. Once they had done that they did something similar to bring back Tada, then used the findings from both events to bring back Genert. Now, some people might think that doing all that was a bit munchinny, but the Campaign was a weekly one that lasted, what, 15 real years or so. They didn't start off intending to resurrect Genert, they started off as members of the Firestarters street gang in Pavis and things progressed from there.

They had to be really careful to avoid the mummy Genert, as that would have been really bad.

55 minutes ago, EricW said:

Isn't the eternal battle still being fought way too close for comfort to the mundane world in Prax - the spirit armies of Storm Bull still fight the followers of Wakboth, to keep his power contained? 

Yes,. the Eternal Battle is effectively a Short World that links the Mundane Plane to the Mythical God Time event. Going there is bad. The Adventurers needed to go into it to find something. It was bad.

56 minutes ago, EricW said:

If you sacrifice a thousand people in a gigantic and rather morally dubious resurrection spell, and open a gate to the otherworld big enough for a god to step through, it might not be Genert you resurrect. 

Yes, and that was a danger. The Adventurers had to go into a Chaos Void and bring back part of Genert that had been taken. They built up to it, of course, and used some of the techniques they had developed for the Green Age, plus being able to see into Chaos Voids helped. They built up powers over many years.

• Like 2