Prosopedia trivia

metcalph

3 hours ago, Akhôrahil said:

Alternate future history where it's Jannisor Moonchaser and not Sheng Seleris.

Curious little bit of trivia: the Red Goddess, Jannisor, and Sheng were all born on the same day... While Jannisor was uniting the Orlanthi and defeating the Red Emperor, it was thought that he was the Red Goddess' Shadow. That turned out not to be the case. 

• Like 1

It fits with the moon multiplicity to have a Storm Shadow and a Sun Shadow. The Sun was more effective, possibly because Storm acknowledged her victory in Castle Blue, so that weakens the shadow. Sheng became the default superpower to use against her, but I am sure bringing back Jannisor is in Argrath's long "To Do" list.

On 7/23/2023 at 1:19 PM, jajagappa said:

Curious little bit of trivia: the Red Goddess, Jannisor, and Sheng were all born on the same day... While Jannisor was uniting the Orlanthi and defeating the Red Emperor, it was thought that he was the Red Goddess' Shadow. That turned out not to be the case. 

Or it was potentially the case until he failed, at which point the mantle fell to another.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Based on an unboxing of the Gencon Books (linked before), I'll just add some further trivia that I noticed.

• Melib is shown as having a significant population of Lightbringer worship.  Not just the city of Dosakayo but perhaps up to a third of the island.
  • Kolat's mother is the Mother of Space?!?  (ie the darkness demon that begat Dehore, Subere and Himile)
  • The Red Elf spell Proliferate has a particularly wince-inducing example about what effects it has on a dog with puppies.  Little wonder everybody hates them.
  • Ernamola's special crop is Sorghum and not Millet as has presented in other sources up to and including the Guide to Glorantha and the Cults of RQ Prosopedia?  Since Millet is said to have come from Slonta, I suspect the Goddess Switch is to blame.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, metcalph said:

Ernamola's special crop is Sorghum and not Millet … I suspect the Goddess Switch is to blame.

Maybe, but “millet” is used for a diversity of plants. Sorghum bicolor is also known as “great millet” — and one of its uses is to make ethanol: the Prosopaedia’s millet wine?

Of course, we could blame the IRL situation and the word millet’s utter failure to respect modern cladistics on the Goddess Switch.

The heretic in me says that all the Godlearners really did was tidy up some messy taxonomy, but come the next famine, guess who gets the blame?

• Grumpy Peasant: “You took our old crop away.”
  • Haughty Academic: “No, we just gave it a sensible name.”
  • Grumpy Peasant: “Names have power: if you rename a grass, you change the gods.”
  • Haughty Academic: “Guards, crush this person beneath your shields.”
  • Helpful 1

NOTORIOUS VØID CULTIST

13 hours ago, metcalph said:
  • Melib is shown as having a significant population of Lightbringer worship.  Not just the city of Dosakayo but perhaps up to a third of the island.

One of Greg's maps Jeff shared a while ago, showed Dawn Age Lightbringer missionaries reaching western Melib.

4 hours ago, Cassius said:

But in his own entry, Herald is said to be the son of Issaries and Mother Language (and there's no reference to Goldentongue).

As is the way with gods, Issaries is both: the father of Harst (Spare Grain), Garzeen, and Goldentongue; and IS Harst, Garzeen, and Goldentongue. So Herald can be both the son of Goldentongue, and the son of Issaries the Goldentongue.

4 hours ago, jajagappa said:

As is the way with gods, Issaries is both: the father of Harst (Spare Grain), Garzeen, and Goldentongue; and IS Harst, Garzeen, and Goldentongue. So Herald can be both the son of Goldentongue, and the son of Issaries the Goldentongue.

You can always blame the Godlearners, as they are credited with spreading Tradetalk and Issaries all over Glorantha. They surely showed all those different trade gods were first Issaries children, and a few generations later, Issaries himself. That will cause big local variations, but the traders will not let that get in the way.

On 7/20/2023 at 1:07 PM, metcalph said:

Beatpot's revolt seems to be the same revolt that Duke Raus got sent to Prax for.  The writeup kinda gives him a Yevgeny Prigozhin vibe (cook...worked his way up into a position of trust.. gets relatively mild treatment).

One assumes that Beat Pot was better looking than Prigozhin, or perhaps Jar Eel has a goblin fetish? 😆

Edited by Darius West
  • Like 1

More OSINT action this time courtesy of Pookie's unboxing videos (links below)

• Mastakos has had a serious revamp.  Not only he is now the son of Magasta and Brastalos but he also has access to the Proteus and Meld Form spells that were Triolina's in AH Gods of Glorantha!
  • Caladra and Aurelion still receive Diamondedge from Mostal.
  • Votank, Surenslib and Biselensib are described as ancestor cults under Daka Fal.  

• Like 1

Galanin has a doubled fire rune and a beast rune, apparently suggesting that he's the rune owner of fire equal with Yelm (Prosopedia p42).  Then I realized it's because he is bearing Ehilm as the Sun Horse and the Fire Runes come from Ehilm.  This suggests the Grazers (who had contact with the God Learners in Prax) may worship Yelm in a similar manner.

Will have to wait for the Fire Book to come out to confirm...

Edited by metcalph
  • Like 1

Speaking of the Cult of Orlanth, there's something quite unusual.  In a discussion of the Crown Test (CoR:Lightbringers p22), there is this:

During their absence, the council is ruled by the Eurmal priest. 

I've a feeling this was meant to be (or originally was) the Elmali Priest along the lines of King of Sartar.  But since Elmal has been unpersoned (which is why I don't think this is an error), a more hilarious option seems to have been chosen.  Kinda adds a time pressure on the Crown Tests.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Akhôrahil said:

Ygg used to be a son of Valind and not of Vadrus, correct?

This is mythology, so not an exact science. Ygg as a son of Vadrus, brother of Valind, is little different to Ygg is a son of Valind, son of Vadrus in my book. Both are likely true somewhere. 

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

1 hour ago, metcalph said:

I've a feeling this was meant to be (or originally was) the Elmali Priest along the lines of King of Sartar.  But since Elmal has been unpersoned (which is why I don't think this is an error), a more hilarious option seems to have been chosen.  Kinda adds a time pressure on the Crown Tests.

”I’m back, victorious… wait, why are all the cows painted blue and why does everyone wear their underwear on their heads?”

• Haha 1