Coming in March: a new cover for The Glorantha Sourcebook

MOB

The Glorantha Sourcebook - new cover

Coming in March 2024, a new cover for The Glorantha Sourcebook! This new cover by the award-winning Chaosium staff artist Loïc Muzy features iconic characters from Greg Stafford's world of Glorantha. 

This edition contains revised, updated, and expanded content drawn from a variety of long out-of-print and rare sources. Combined with the RuneQuest core rules, The Glorantha Sourcebook is a player’s next step to flesh out the setting for their RuneQuest games.

There will also be a new leatherette version of The Glorantha Sourcebook out at the same time, released exclusively at Chaosium.com.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, MOB said:

-

There you go.

Assuming you mean that nothing is being changed, what's this referring to then?

16 hours ago, MOB said:

This edition contains revised, updated, and expanded content drawn from a variety of long out-of-print and rare sources.

6 minutes ago, Richard S. said:

Assuming you mean that nothing is being changed, what's this referring to then?

When the Sourcebook first came out, it contained revised, updated and expanded content drawn from a variety of long out-of-print and rare sources. This is still the case.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Nick Brooke said:

When the Sourcebook first came out, it contained revised, updated and expanded content drawn from a variety of long out-of-print and rare sources. This is still the case.

Thank you. The use of "this edition" confused me.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Steve said:

According to Facebook there are corrections.

Could you kindly quote the text from that linked post that makes you think there are corrections?

5 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Thank you. The use of "this edition" confused me.

I agree: it might have been clearer to write “The Glorantha Sourcebook contains…”rather than “This edition contains…”

23 hours ago, Richard S. said:

Can we get a summary of what will be changed aside from the cover?

10 hours ago, MOB said:

-

There you go.

4 hours ago, MOB said:

No. This is a new edition. If you want it you'll have to buy it.

A new edition, but with no new content apart from the cover? 

5 minutes ago, Steve said:

new edition, but with no new content apart from the cover? 

And new interior artwork if I understand the thread above correctly. Possibly with captions leading to new text. Whether you consider art as content is up to you, but given Chaosium's recent track record you probably should.

Edited by Joerg
  • Like 2

Telling how it is excessive verbis

3 hours ago, Joerg said:

And new interior artwork if I understand the thread above correctly. Possibly with captions leading to new text. Whether you consider art as content is up to you, but given Chaosium's recent track record you probably should.

Yes new interior art -  if it’s of similar quality and realisation to the new cover would persuade me to happily buy the book again. 

If there's no change in written content, I shall wait for the new artwork to appear in the oversize coffee-table collection of all the fantastic art in the various RQG books. C'mon, gotta be on the cards in a few years time – this quality of illustration  deserves a large format that will really do it justice 🙂

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Steve said:

A new edition, but with no new content apart from the cover? 

Yes, that is correct. The new edition has corrected some typos and errors from the original, non-RuneQuest branded edition, and has several new pieces of interior art, but is otherwise the same content.   

• Like 4
  • Helpful 1
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, Cloud64 said:

If there's no change in written content, I shall wait for the new artwork to appear in the oversize coffee-table collection of all the fantastic art in the various RQG books. C'mon, gotta be on the cards in a few years time – this quality of illustration  deserves a large format that will really do it justice 🙂

I think there’s a strong argument for doing a new edition of the Guide To Glorantha utilising the new art, maybe a couple of years down the line when there’s a bigger/wider portfolio to draw on. 

• Like 1

On 10/23/2023 at 4:08 AM, Paid a bod yn dwp said:

I think there’s a strong argument for doing a new edition of the Guide To Glorantha utilising the new art, maybe a couple of years down the line when there’s a bigger/wider portfolio to draw on. 

There is a *huge* amount of really top-tier art already in the Guide!
The new art is undeniably good.  But I don't see that it's really an improvement.

I think there are a couple of very-minor textual tweaks they'd like to do, but nothing that (IMO) really justifies a new edition.

IIRC, Chaosium has (informally) speculated about a reprint / new edition.
They have indicated that such a project would likely move to 4 standard-sized volumes, rather than 2 oversized.

• Like 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

12 hours ago, g33k said:

The new art is undeniably good.  But I don't see that it's really an improvement.

I’m not necessarily disputing the quality of art work in the guide, but the realisation of Gloranthan tropes is clearer and more accessible with the current art direction throughout the RuneQuest line imo. 

Overall the art direction is becoming fine tuned and better focused to my mind than it was when the guide was produced ( I still love the red goddess art in the guide though) …though of course take that with a subjective pinch of salt YGMV and all that. 

I just find the approach of the newer RQ artists hits the right notes.