What worlds would people like to see in BRP?

Shiba Homer

:focus:

Gotta love that smiley...

1. Sword&Sorcery. As close to the Hyborian kingdoms as possible.

2. Espionage. A sourcebook that supports both Tom Clancy- and James Bond-style.

3. An ancient historical setting. One where a Celtic druid, a Roman gladiator, an Egyptian sorcerer, and a Greek thespian can adventure side-by-side. In fact, I think BRP is perfect for ANY historical setting.

4. Some hard-ish Sci-Fi along the lines of 2300 AD. I don't really see BRP working for pulpish Space Opera (there are other systems to do that).

5. Something with psionics and conspiracies, preferably in the modern day.

6. Tad Williams' "Memory, Sorrow and Thorn".

Gosh, there's a ton more (modern-day cops, 1930s cops, high fantasy, Rapiers&Muskets...)

BRP Zero Ed #136/420

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal death in judgement."

- The Fellowship of the Ring

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Setting I'd like tosee:

1) Rome (thank's Pete)

2) Cloak & Dagger/Rapier & Musket

3) A sci-fi setting. I like both hard Sci-fi and Space Opera. I think BRP would word for either, but is optimized for neither. If BRP can handle a "Musket & Rapier" swashbuckler it should be able to handle Space Opera the same way.

4)I like Turloigh's idea of an Ancient World setting. Sounds like something mentioned earlier. A bunch of culture books from approximately the same point in time so we could have a world to go with Rome. Greeks, Persians, Egyptians. Maybe an Atlantis (if going with Minoan Crete or Thira) book for the "early" part of the era.

5) A WWII underground setting. PCs could play British Commandos, American OSS and French Marquis in occupied Europe. Even Hogans Heroes makes a good base for a campaign.

6) An age of sail, naval or pirate setting (could combine with the rapier & musket stuff).

7) A Western (i.e. Old West) setting

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

2. Espionage. A sourcebook that supports both Tom Clancy- and James Bond-style.

PK Games where going to try having Berlin '61 for BRP, that would fit the bill. Heard anything from Chaosium PK?

7) A Western (i.e. Old West) setting

You're the one we are waiting for! Will it happen? :P

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

You're the one we are waiting for! Will it happen? :P

SGL.

Good question. :D

But it makes sense that I'd want to see one if I am working on one. innocent:

Will there be a whole, nice professional level supplment? I don't know.

Will there be stats, profession lists, price lists and critters, yeah. Those are all in the works.

Some things are delayed a bit by research (prices for things from over 100 years ago is tough to verify. Some of my sources took some liberties. Ballistics data for the Old West is another little quest. Until a week ago I never knew that they made a Gatling Gun that fired one inch caliber rounds, and that since the carriage didn't traverse, it, along with many early .58 caliber Gatlings fired cannister shot! Or that they made a short barreled "mountain" version that was even mounted on camels).

Writing for an RPG that isn't out yet and that I don't own yet slows things down. :eek:

But, I should have the price list done soon. Actually I should have had it done a couple of days ago, but I'm getting ticked off when I try to reforat it for double columns. It messes up all my clip art. I should get something up this weekend. Maybe single column in 12 point type, but that should do for a first draft, right?

BTW, I've got a really nasty idea for handling snakebites. Rather than rolling POT vs CON when bit and taking the damage all at once, I'm thinking of dishing out the damage at 1 HP/hour and not making the roll until you reach half the POT in hours. That way people won't know right away if the bite will be life threatening or not.

:focus:

Sorry, I threadjacked.

:focus::focus:

An Arthurian setting would be nice.

Some things are delayed a bit by research (prices for things from over 100 years ago is tough to verify.

I've found that old Sears Roebuck catalogs (first printed in 1894) or newspaper advertisements are good guidelines for prices, adjusted of course based on the locale.

I've found that old Sears Roebuck catalogs (first printed in 1894) or newspaper advertisements are good guidelines for prices, adjusted of course based on the locale.

Funny. I found a listing for an RPG done up by some guy who went through an 1900 Sears & Roebuck's catalog, and it is my best resource for prices. It doesn't cover things like horses, hotel prices or bordellos (Horses & Whores? Hows that for a title? :P:eek:) and I got to compare my other sources and see which ones match up best with stuff in the S&R book.

What really helped was finding a price index that covered from 1800 to 1990 and discovering that for the most part, the purchasing power of a dollar was stable from 1800-1910, except during times of war.

What really helped was finding a price index that covered from 1800 to 1990 and discovering that for the most part, the purchasing power of a dollar was stable from 1800-1910, except during times of war.

Have you seen the following?

The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the 1800's

The Writer's Guide to Everyday Life in the Wild West

Everyday Life Among the American Indians

I'm not sure how useful these particular books are, but the "Prohibition through WWII" volume is one of my reference books for my CoC campaign. I'd really like to get the whole series.

No. I did a trip to my local library but didn't fine the sort of stuff that I need for RPGs. I'll probably have to go into the children's area. Most of the really good daily life books are in the kids section. When I wanted to know what a Roman villa or insuale really looked like, the Childrens books with all the full color illustrations proved more useful that most of the stuff in the history section.

Now that I've had a bit of time to think, I'd like to see Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles as a setting. Late Antique/Early Dark Ages.

This came up as a setting being sought after by Matt during the ill fated public playtest, but hasn't come about (At one time thought to be the Holy Grail setting).

Vendel Scandinavia would also be an interesting setting.

SDLeary

I'll probably have to go into the children's area. Most of the really good daily life books are in the kids section. When I wanted to know what a Roman villa or insuale really looked like, the Childrens books with all the full color illustrations proved more useful that most of the stuff in the history section.

I lucked out an got a bunch of these about 10 years ago at a sale (to add to the two Castle books I got when I was a kid). Never forget a picture is worth a thousand words! :lol:

I lucked out an got a bunch of these about 10 years ago at a sale (to add to the two Castle books I got when I was a kid). Never forget a picture is worth a thousand words! :lol:

Not since the adventure of computers, printers and scanners. Visual aides help a lot. I once drew up a map of a character fief and it made the place seem more real.

And one good picture of a slimy disgusting NPC can go a long way to getting the point across to a bunch of people sitting at a table in a nice clean house, look at washed and clean people.

And one good picture of a slimy disgusting NPC can go a long way to getting the point across to a bunch of people sitting at a table in a nice clean house, look at washed and clean people.

No don't be silly. Everybody knows there is no such thing as the gamers you describe. :P

Help kill a Trollkin here.

No don't be silly. Everybody knows there is no such thing as the gamers you describe. :P

Most are closer to that than a medieval peasant. Most gamers I know have washed, at least within recent memory, and have changed their clothes sometime in the last week.

Most. :)

Most are closer to that than a medieval peasant. Most gamers I know have washed, at least within recent memory, and have changed their clothes sometime in the last week.

Most. :)

Every good gamer knows freshly washed clothes have less AP than week old clothes. And don't even get me started on fabric softner...

I'm sorry, I'll stop now...

Every good gamer knows freshly washed clothes have less AP than week old clothes. And don't even get me started on fabric softner...

I'm sorry, I'll stop now...

It's the Stealth rolls. One "Fie-Fi-Foe-Fum" and the jig is up! :P

On a possibly reated note. At another gaming site, we got a new member oer the holidays. It is osort of sad how she got fawned over. Basically the net equvialent of.

"Look, it's a go-irl"

"And she's a gamer!!"

"Quick, be nice to her before she runs away."

A board full of long term gamers and will still managed to act like we were 13.

On a possibly reated note. At another gaming site, we got a new member oer the holidays. It is osort of sad how she got fawned over. Basically the net equvialent of.

"Look, it's a go-irl"

"And she's a gamer!!"

Bullshit, everyone knows that girls absolutely L-O-V-E gamers! We're not geeky at all! :eek:

SGL.

Ef plest master, this mighty fine grub!
b1.gif 116/420. High Priest.

It's the Stealth rolls. One "Fie-Fi-Foe-Fum" and the jig is up! :P

"Look, it's a go-irl"

"And she's a gamer!!"

A girl gamer on another board!?!? :eek:

Which board - do tell you bastard, I know you want to keep her to yourself! :mad:

I'm sorry, I really will stop this nonesense now. I promise.

Bullshit, everyone knows that girls absolutely L-O-V-E gamers! We're not geeky at all! :eek:

SGL.

Ack! :eek: Triff's hit stage 3!!

Someone help to drag him into fresh air and sunlight before it's too late. Maybe a trip to mall or fast food stop for some shock therapy.

Seriously, I my years of gaming, I've only seen a handful or two of female gamers. Mostly girlfriends who were gaming because their boyfriends were gaming. I do recall one girl who was good at it, better than her boyfirend (he was of the "charge!!!" variety and was usually the first one to drop). She ended up giving it up because of her BF, too. Basically he got tired of being dead all the time and quit. Funny thing was her saying "But honey, I haven't gotten killed once yet!".

She was a babe, too. *sigh*.

SGL.

Absolutely Triff! Gamers are just.... oooh, I just go all wobbly and lose my dice at the thought of them.... :D

Actually, I've found more girl gamers outside Europe than inside. There was one other girl gamer when I was at high school, and a couple at uni, but I really only began to find fellow gamer girls when working in the States or in Japan. Never mind - it's kinda nice being a rarity, although the pressure to wear chainmail bikinis when GMing sometimes becomes hard to resist... :lol:

On a related note, I just watched the second episode of "Fear of Girls" on youtube today. The one with the girl gamers... Gaaaahhhhhdddd, it was just awful, though I couldn't tear my eyes away. My other half (also a gamer) is also a muzo, and he said it was as bad as Spinal Tap for him.

Go-go-girl gamers!

Sarah Warrior Princess

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth

Wow. My experiences with females and gaming have been almost the opposite. The formal, organized gaming club I belong to has a rather large number of women in its ranks (both current students and alumni), and usually at least one woman holds an officer position (one year, Secretary, Treasurer and Vice President were all female).

Within my closer-knit gaming circle, the people I GM for...well, I GM for a group of 7. Of these, two of them are female. One of them was introduced to the hobby through dating me, and the other is in the gaming club, but never played RPGs before, being primary a CCG gamer.

I've heard that at the convention we hold, sometimes our female members get harassed a bit by visiting gamers, but I've never witnessed it first-hand. I have one player in my group who does fit stereotypes of poor hygiene and poor social skills, though not to the extremes such stereotypes are usually taken. He showers regularly, even if he doesn't wash the residue of soap off his face after shaving. He also still hasn't learned, after two characters have bitten the dust in humiliating, ignoble ways, that power gaming in Call of Cthulhu doesn't work.

"A DM only rolls dice for the noise they make." -- Gary Gygax (attributed)

As to female gamers. Nowadays I play online games a lot because of my work schedule and female gamers are not all that rare on online games. In my guild in Dark age of Camelot befor I quit or guild leader was a female and Grandmother to boot. And one of the assistant leaders was a Woman who played with her 2 sons.

Most of the groups, cept current one, I have played in have had female players. And as a rule all have been fairly fragrent bunch of people, with some idea how to talk to women/strangers. :)

Anyway on the subject of what worlds you would like to see:

I have always fancied a 17th century european style game. You got wars, civil wars, Religous hysteria and some very strange cults popping up in war torn areas. And pirates, i like pirates, me.

And how do you know they're not she-males? :rolleyes:

SGL.

Well you never really know. But most guys who pretend to be female I understand pretend to be 16 year old cheerleaders and not 50 year old grandmothers. And how many guys pretending to be female would constantly talk about their new grandson?

I have always fancied a 17th century european style game. You got wars, civil wars, Religous hysteria and some very strange cults popping up in war torn areas. And pirates, i like pirates, me.

Howdy Sarge.

Did you ever come across a little paperback game called "Maelstrom", published in the UK by Penguin or some such, IIRC. It was set in the time of Shakespeare or thereabouts, and was quite evocative, with some crazy underground chaos nastiness going on, lots of intrigue, cold war type secrecy and rather nice John Speed maps. I don't know whether it's still available, but that was quite a neat milieu. As I remember it also had tons of information about herbs and alchemy, and quite an innovative magic system.

"The Worm Within" - the first novel for The Chronicles of Future Earth, coming 2013 from Chaosium, Inc.

Website: http://sarahnewtonwriter.com | Twitter: @SarahJNewton | Facebook: TheChroniclesOfFutureEarth