What worlds would people like to see in BRP?

Shiba Homer

There was also a French comic book adaption of the Tschai books, and I love to see an English translation. Actually, just having the comics for the art would be great, but I've no idea where to start looking (who imports foreign language comics?).

Try Blackcoat Press. There's a forum on their site you can ask about this title if they don't already have it translated.

Black Coat Press

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am alone in the universe. I hunger for a Space: Above & Beyond RPG, I did a short homebrew years ago, but never got to play it. I made extensive notes while watching the series, making timleines, noting ship names and equipment designations, etc. Lost those along time ago, I'd have to watch all the videos again (only I haven't got a VCR anymore!).

It's just, you get to be ground-pounding space marines, as well as space fighter pilots. Too cool.

You were never alone. I absolutely love that show, and when I was watching the new Battlestar Galactica for the first time, I kept thinking "Huh, Space Above & Beyond did that bit first, and better."

(The series is available on DVD in Region 1, so if you've got one of those fancy multi-region players, you're set.)

"It's okay to be afraid."

How would you turn the stats in the GURPS supplement into BRP stats? Do you have any conversion rules?

I've tried to find the Space Gamer issue on Amazon but no luck;-(, so I'd love to read the article on Tschai again, after twenty years of remembering it wistfully.:ohwell:

Gurps Cthulhupunk has conversion notes from CoC to Gurps they are not that hard to reverse. Should be able to pick it up on Ebay or some used RPG shops on the web.

141/420

You were never alone. I absolutely love that show, and when I was watching the new Battlestar Galactica for the first time, I kept thinking "Huh, Space Above & Beyond did that bit first, and better."

(The series is available on DVD in Region 1, so if you've got one of those fancy multi-region players, you're set.)

"It's okay to be afraid."

Or if you are from the US. I have never seen this show. Would you recommend it that much?

One setting I've always toyed with, and once began a simple-to-play homebrew of, is of commandoes in the deserts of WW2 North Africa. The birth of the SAS, and the Long Range Recon Patrols, using jeeps and chevrolet trucks piled with machinegun mounts and gear for long range drives into the deep deserts to strike at the Afrika Korps.

Each player has one vehicle and two characters. The unit needs certain key individuals, cook, map-reader, mechanic, etc, but there's lots of cross-training. Plenty of desert environment to cope with, plus isolation and 'going crazy' so far from civilisation.

Is it too focussed?

Is there any way to broaden this up? Or even introduce fantasy elements to give it that scary cutting edge that makes it stand out?

I dunno - I think it maybe is just a short story arc! I like the idea of getting your expedition together, and trying to keep it together, alive and well, and then go and blow stuff up and get back with everyone chasing you.

"The Rat Patrol" - I haven't seen that in years, but it'd make a great RPG. I can't even recall the details, but wasn't it just two jeeps with M2s mounted on the back and four people. It'd make a great RPG...though obviously not too historically accurate with all the US equipment. I can't even remember if they were supposed to be American or British now...

Personally, I'd drop the fantasy/horror part of it. I hate mixing that in with modern world settings. I think a small band of commandos would work great for an RPG, or a small group of resistance in occupied <pick a country>.

I think a small band of commandos would work great for an RPG, or a small group of resistance in occupied <pick a country>.

England? Or even the U.S. (by Japs in the West, Nazis in the East)? Would that be enough of a twist?

Britain has been infiltrated by soviet agents to the highest levels. They control the BBC, the main political party leaderships, NHS & local council executives, much of the police, most newspapers and the utility companies. Of course the EU is theirs, through-and-through. And they are among us - a pervasive evil, like Stasi.

It reminded me of Tour of Duty, but with tech from the Aliens movies. Its all full on military, with pathos and emotion (some a tad cheesy) in between the missions. Lots of military acronyms, totally the opposite of Star Trek, which is why I adored it!!!

Or if you are from the US. I have never seen this show. Would you recommend it that much?

Paul Elliott

Warlords of Alexander - Roleplaying in the ruins of Alexander's Empire

Zenobia - Fantasy RPG in the Eastern Roman Empire

Zaibatsu - Fast-play Japanese cyberpunk - Gibson-style

www.geocities.com/mithrapolis/games.html

"The Rat Patrol" - I haven't seen that in years, but it'd make a great RPG. I can't even recall the details, but wasn't it just two jeeps with M2s mounted on the back and four people. It'd make a great RPG...though obviously not too historically accurate with all the US equipment. I can't even remember if they were supposed to be American or British now...

I think a small band of commandos would work great for an RPG, or a small group of resistance in occupied <pick a country>.

Hey...I've played the modern version of that game...Afghanistan:The Land That Everything Forgot!?! It's got warlords, terrorists, drug dealers, mercenaries, corporations, hippies and a military bent.

-STS

It reminded me of Tour of Duty, but with tech from the Aliens movies. Its all full on military, with pathos and emotion (some a tad cheesy) in between the missions. Lots of military acronyms, totally the opposite of Star Trek, which is why I adored it!!!

Ah, Space: Above and Beyond...I'd buy it, and now I shall have to look for it.

Opinion follows:

The show fails (as do all other TV shows about military stuff) in one respect...Pilots are not Infantry are not Military Police are not Special Forces....

The problem with military themed games/TV series is that every job in the Army is pretty lame after a while...the sameness begins to equate to boring.

If there was a show (almost used with success by "Over There") that focused on key individuals in a unit that had all of the goodies instead of stretching credibilty to have a small group do all of that...

Opinion ends:

-STS

We got Space above and Beyond over here in the UK. It was pretty popular...and then that was it ,no more. I can only assume it didn't play well in the states and the series got pulled.

I always felt that in tone it was closer to Starship Troopers the book than Starship Troopers the movie ever was.

Hey...I've played the modern version of that game...Afghanistan:The Land That Everything Forgot!?! It's got warlords, terrorists, drug dealers, mercenaries, corporations, hippies and a military bent.

-STS

I'm talking about a TV series. There may well have been a game based off it - it was fairly popular at one time.

I'm talking about a TV series. There may well have been a game based off it - it was fairly popular at one time.

Oh :shocked:

That was a joke...

Ooops..sorry.

:focus:

A new Starship Troopers game that goes for gritty and hard core combat (like the book) instead of that glossy paper travesty that was put out by Mongoose (blech...)

And since I'm thinking about it...In Nomine! Awesome game idea with a fairly...so so presentation. In Nomine could tie in with Nephilium in a most excellent way...of course, it would have to munchkin-y as all get out...but come on, it's about angels and demons using humans as literal pawns...

-STS

Oh :shocked:

That was a joke...

Ooops..sorry.

:focus:

If it helps, I knew it was a joke, but I wasn't certain whether you (or anyone) else caught what I was originally talking about so I thought I'd clarify.

By RMS

By STS

Ha!

:thumb:

Ride on brother! Guess we could make other games like Sadr City:Postapocalypse Blues in a Dystopian Now or Iraq:The Eternal Burning

Actually, I got in trouble on leave in a game shop when some college kids were talking about awesome they were at "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" and I said "Well, you can always how good you really are. There's not one, but two wars going on right now..." and I pointed at the recruiters office, across the mall walkway...

I was asked to leave ;-(

Ok, I'll be good...no more distasteful comments...:deadhorse:

-STS

Ha!

:thumb:

Ride on brother! Guess we could make other games like Sadr City:Postapocalypse Blues in a Dystopian Now or Iraq:The Eternal Burning

Actually, I got in trouble on leave in a game shop when some college kids were talking about awesome they were at "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare" and I said "Well, you can always how good you really are. There's not one, but two wars going on right now..." and I pointed at the recruiters office, across the mall walkway...

I was asked to leave ;-(

Ok, I'll be good...no more distasteful comments...:deadhorse:

-STS

Its true though.

If you two have served (and I have no reason to doubt) then you have every right to make grimly ironic black jokes.

I just find it hard when people make games (more esp First person) out of wars that living men and women served and still serve in.

I don't want to spoil the thread, but my dad served in Africa during Suez and I would get really irate with anyone who turned his very harsh experiences into a game.

I will let it go now.

Sorry. :focus:

If you two have served (and I have no reason to doubt) then you have every right to make grimly ironic black jokes.

I just find it hard when people make games (more esp First person) out of wars that living men and women served and still serve in.

I don't want to spoil the thread, but my dad served in Africa during Suez and I would get really irate with anyone who turned his very harsh experiences into a game.

I will let it go now.

Sorry. :focus:

I agree with you, there shouldnt be games about conflicts that are still going on or that have current ramifications. Its just bad taste. But then again, its a personal opinion and apparently, but the success of some of these video games, not one comonly shared.