What worlds would people like to see in BRP?

Shiba Homer

There's a D20 Farscape book out. I own a copy, but I hate D20, so I can't say much about it except that it has a lot of info. on the characters and universe.

RPGNow.com

Amazon.com: FARSCAPE Role-Playing Game: Rob Vaux: Books

Yes, I have it. It was no more useful then the Seasonal Guides for the series. Infact, it was like two seasonal guides meshed together. Some of the BG for the universe and races was a slight bit of help for the conversions I did to D6 Space (as well as using Star Wars D20 with its D6 conversion in the back), but I largely just rewatched the proper episodes as I was writing the entries for each race and group. I converted some of the priest/mystic powers over as well. The weapons/equipment section was probably the most useful.

I went all out when I did the farscape D6 rules, including reading all the comics (both), all the novels (all three even), rewatching the series (again again), the four illustrated companions and so forth. Im a scaper, what can I say?

As far as running D20 Farscape, it worked much better once we used it with D20 Modern instead of basing it off 3E like it was originally intended to be done (the book came out before D20 Modern), but it was still D20. Once I got D6 Space it just made sense to use it for that setting instead of D20.

I need to dig out those notes and files and re-edit them and put them in a PDF!!!

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I heard they are planning to publish the system and the setting as a P&P RPG, and in this case it will be rather similar to BRP, as the game is skill based and has hit points, fatigue points and magic points.

Huh, I had no idea they planned to do that. There are rumours of a MMORPG (of course) but an RPG sounds nice. At least for the background. When I first played it I was struck by how close it was to RQ, and even if it does have levels a conversion shouldn't be too hard. In fact, it made me wonder why RQ/BRP still have attributes in the 3-21 range (or whatever) and not percentiles like the rest of the system. Habit, tradition and no real point for the change I suppose, but it just struck me.

Incidentally, the Morrowind setting was written by Ken Rolston, and you can find "suspiciously sounding" names among those found on the isle, like "The Grazelands" and "Puzzle Canal".

I knew he got into computer games, but I didn't know he was with Bethesda. And I did wonder about the Puzzle Canal :)

OT:

Anyway, I'm actually going to play in what looks to be a bi-annual game with my almost ten year old nephew (and possibly his younger brother) in a couple of days. It's some sort of simplified (i.e mostly improvised as in "Sure you can try that, you have - uh 50% in that skill. jot that down will ya") RQ3.:focus:

These are books that I want to see in print: I have lots of PDF's and homebrews already.

A GOOD wild west book (no supernaturals...The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) I am in the process of cutting up Spellslinger D20 and Werewolf:Wild West to get something useable.

Aliens Universe (I have the Cyberpunk mod, though and having made changes it is nice to use, but just...ugly)

Star Trek (that lasts for more than a year or doesn't use some weird, hard to convert system)

Resident Evil (if it had a more Mythos flavor and other stuff to fight besides zombies)

Hellboy (the GURPS version is like 45 USD!!)

Hammers Slammers!

*possible threadjacking*

I have (over the past 19 years) converted just about everything to BRP...including everything D20...and mashed them all into a MetaCampaign that I call Deep Black...which now occupies 6 binders with names like "Pulp Fiction: 1920 to 1950", "Dark Ages" and "Near Future", "Sci Fi" and of course "Modern", with the largest one labelled "Fantasy Worlds".

As such, I currently have the following turned into BRP (usually by changing character creation and importing/exporting weapons and gear):

Robotech (all of them, and as soon as Shadow Chronicles shows up...oooh, I can't wait)

RIFTS

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Dungeons and Dragons (2nd Ed and 3rd Ed...along with all the settings: Dark Sun, FR, Greyhawk, Spelljammer :eek: , and OF COURSE Ravenloft which is handy for Call of Cthulhu: Dark Ages!!)

Chill (remember that one?)

Traveller (three versions...)

World of Darkness (about 45 books all told of old WoD, and of course the Dark Ages versions...new WoD is bland and cheap by comparison)

Star Wars (WEG and D20)

Star Trek (FASA Trek, LUG Trek and even Prime Directive!)

Marvel Super Heroes

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay

Warhammer 40K (Inquisitor and Dark Heresy)

Jovian Chronicles

Stargate

Babylon 5

Farscape

D20 Modern

Renegade Legion

In Nomine

Lord of the Rings

Cyberpunk - 100% pure awesome!

Shadowrun

BattleTech (Classic and the new Dark Ages)

Various GURPS books (Cthulhu Punk, Supers)

Mekton (about 5 books in there)

Species (I totally suck)

plus my home brew steampunk setting...

All of those get put in the same "universe" and allows my games to freely (though rarely, with the exception of Star Wars) travel between them.

Everytime I find something nifty (such as DUNE, which is kicking my butt...still), I just add it in...usually with a bit of timeline tweaking.

The new settings that I am working on (and may eventually make it past the "notes" stage):

CoDominium Universe

Dune

ConSentiency Universe (Jorj X. McKie rocks and so do the Calebans...those are mythos beings if I ever saw one!)

Apocalypse Troll (really it is only 2 characters and an alternate timelines so I am just being lazy)

Converting the entire DCU...but that is hard because so many of the characters just suck.

:focus:

-STS

Tales of the Gold Monkey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sounds very cool.

Here is an idea...what about a bunch of psuedo "setting" books for BRP. We write them up, PDF 'em and put them in the downloads section. They would have to be "understandable", but not perfect and it would open up some settings.

Does that sound anything like...rational?

-STS

Sounds great. If I get a moment of free time i have several projects Im dying to finish. Two Berlin '61 adventures, a Berlin '61 Encounters Manual, Matinee Monsters for GORE.

But this looks like alot of the work is done for me.

Tales of the Gold Monkey -- Full Service Website

Just cut paste, format, add BRP stats.

I think any pdf done for this idea of yours would have to have Chapter One be a listing of what rules from BRP are being used and what page they are found on in the 0E book.

Oh, and I was working on two other GORE related adventures. Xenos, which is basically a Aliens/Thing/Deep Star Six rip off and Madman (or, Maniac) which was going to be a Friday the 13th style adventure.

Other things started but probably not available till near end (if ever) of the year are Berlin '61: Espionage, Amerika '61, Moskow '61 and Conspiracies '61, all for Berlin '61.

As far as the two Berlin '61 adventures and the Berlin '61 encounters manual they are near the finalized stages and may see simultaneous releases. Im actually in the editing and formatting stages, its just real life interferes.

Army, Girl Friend, Dark Heresy.

Resident Evil (if it had a more Mythos flavor and other stuff to fight besides zombies)

Resident Evil does have many other things to fight other than zombies. The zombies are there for you to wade through to get to the bigger, badder creatures. I would think that the Resident Evil universe would be the easiest, by far, for adding the Mythos to the zombie stomping action. After all, where did the T and G viruses come from? Why do people and other creatures who are injected (not just infected) with either virus turn into monstrosities that grow several other limbs? Could the reason why the T and G viruses give "immortality" to its victims be the reason why many of the mythos are immortal? Are the owners of Umbrella Corp.--as well as those cultists in Resident Evil 4--Mythos cultists trying to facilitate the return of the Old Ones by wiping out humanity?

I'm on a Resident Evil kick right now. So please excuse my fanaticism:) However, I sincerely believe that the Resident Evil franchise is the one of the best candidates for getting its own p&p rpg.

Im sure no one even came close to mentioning this one.

Tales of the Gold Monkey!

I have always said if I ever got to run a Pulp era BRP/CoC adventure, it would use Tales of the Gold Monkey as a setting. Boragora Atoll, 1938...

All together now..

Happy Deep Ones, Deep Ones, Happy Deep Ones...

:D

River of Heaven - Science Fiction Roleplaying in the 28th Century

http://riverofheaven.d101games.co.uk/

Then we need to talk Ottomancer. TOTGM is my all time favorite show. Took me years to find it on DVD and I am glad I did.

Wish my brain would shut off, too many ideas want to see fuition, not enough time.

If you wanna chat about this, feel free to PM me via this site. :thumb:

ps - It's available on DVD..? :shocked:

River of Heaven - Science Fiction Roleplaying in the 28th Century

http://riverofheaven.d101games.co.uk/

Me, it would be: Petal Throne, World of the Dying Sun, A Song of Fire and Ice, tribe8, Jorune, Chill, Seventh Sea and Glorantha... ;) ;)

I'd like to see a BRP version of Jack Vance's Planet of Adventure. I like the Chasch, Dirdir and Pnume races and the planetary romance genre would be a good way of getting fantasy loving players into slightly more science fictional setting without too much stress.

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

These are books that I want to see in print: I have lots of PDF's and homebrews already.

A GOOD wild west book (no supernaturals...The Good, The Bad and The Ugly) I am in the process of cutting up Spellslinger D20 and Werewolf:Wild West to get something useable.

Aliens Universe (I have the Cyberpunk mod, though and having made changes it is nice to use, but just...ugly)

Both are already available in Italian....

I'd like to see a BRP version of Jack Vance's Planet of Adventure. I like the Chasch, Dirdir and Pnume races and the planetary romance genre would be a good way of getting fantasy loving players into slightly more science fictional setting without too much stress.

Dr'ssa! Dr'ssa! Dr'ssa! You forgot the Wankh race. Go read the saga again from the beginning :D

Seriously, Dario Corallo and I have been thinking of an adaptation for this setting for decades (literallly). The only problem is that Vance's works are still copyrighted, and I prefer settings that can be published without having to pay royalties in advance. Even publishing it as a free product could cause trouble.

I think Burrough's Barsoom is public domain now, and I am sure Dario has some GURPS adaptation for it ready (easily BRPable). But Planet Tschai is much more fascinating. Just shout "Onmale!" and go berserk :thumb:

Proud member of the Evil CompetitionTM

I've got the GURPS worldbook, Jack Vance's Planet of Adventure. Easily adapted to BRP, and it rounds out the books fairly well. I'd have loved more art of the various aliens and human cultures, along with more vehicles, but I think you're always left wanting when it comes to things like that.

Dr'ssa! Dr'ssa! Dr'ssa! You forgot the Wankh race. Go read the saga again from the beginning :D

I think Burrough's Barsoom is public domain now, and I am sure Dario has some GURPS adaptation for it ready (easily BRPable). But Planet Tschai is much more fascinating. Just shout "Onmale!" and go berserk :thumb:

I wasn't going to mention the Wankh:o. Vance has changed them to the Wanek, to avoid offence.

As for shouting "onmale!" before going berserk, I'm a genteel Yao and would rather go awaile!;)

http://www.basicrps.com/core/BRP_quick_start.pdf A sense of humour and an imagination go a long way in roleplaying. ;)

I've got the GURPS worldbook, Jack Vance's Planet of Adventure. Easily adapted to BRP, and it rounds out the books fairly well. I'd have loved more art of the various aliens and human cultures, along with more vehicles, but I think you're always left wanting when it comes to things like that.

I have it too, but I'd like to see some BRP statage for the various races. I'd consider putting them in my Worlds Beyond game then.

As for artwork, I've been trying to track down the Denis Loubet art of the races from an article on Tschai in The Space Gamer#40. Anyone got it?:focus:

So are you up for writing some BRP stats for the(Blue, Green and Old) Chasch, Pnume, Wanek and Dirdir?>:->

My favourite toy - evAr!! The one I remember the most. I know if I went on eBay I could find the Micronaut modular spaceship I got for Christmas when I was 8, but I would be compelled to buy it. So I won't.

:(

I remember those, I believe they had a Marvel Comics series, and that there was even a X-Men/Micronauts Miniseries (which as I recall was the limit of my exposure to them). Along those lines, "Shogun Warriors" could be fun, though I doubt it would work well as a campaign (another toy line with a Marvel series).

Zane

Paul Elliott

Warlords of Alexander - Roleplaying in the ruins of Alexander's Empire

Zenobia - Fantasy RPG in the Eastern Roman Empire

Zaibatsu - Fast-play Japanese cyberpunk - Gibson-style

www.geocities.com/mithrapolis/games.html

I have it too, but I'd like to see some BRP statage for the various races. I'd consider putting them in my Worlds Beyond game then.

As for artwork, I've been trying to track down the Denis Loubet art of the races from an article on Tschai in The Space Gamer#40. Anyone got it?:focus:

So are you up for writing some BRP stats for the(Blue, Green and Old) Chasch, Pnume, Wanek and Dirdir?>:->

Hey, I've got that issue of SpaceGamer. Tracked it down well before the GURPS book came out, and after I got my hands on the Bluejay Books Illustrated Chash and Wankh books (each with about 15 black and white drawings by Philip Hagopian). I don't think the other two books were ever released, or at least I've never seen them.

There was also a French comic book adaption of the Tschai books, and I love to see an English translation. Actually, just having the comics for the art would be great, but I've no idea where to start looking (who imports foreign language comics?).

Stats? I'd take the GURPS stats and turn them into the BRP equivalents. After I see how the new BRP book handles things, and what options I'd use for my game.

PM me about the SpaceGamer article, it's only eight pages, so I could run some scans I guess...

Stats? I'd take the GURPS stats and turn them into the BRP equivalents. After I see how the new BRP book handles things, and what options I'd use for my game.

PM me about the SpaceGamer article, it's only eight pages, so I could run some scans I guess...

How would you turn the stats in the GURPS supplement into BRP stats? Do you have any conversion rules?

I've tried to find the Space Gamer issue on Amazon but no luck;-(, so I'd love to read the article on Tschai again, after twenty years of remembering it wistfully.:ohwell:

I am alone in the universe. I hunger for a Space: Above & Beyond RPG, I did a short homebrew years ago, but never got to play it. I made extensive notes while watching the series, making timleines, noting ship names and equipment designations, etc. Lost those along time ago, I'd have to watch all the videos again (only I haven't got a VCR anymore!).

It's just, you get to be ground-pounding space marines, as well as space fighter pilots. Too cool.

Paul Elliott

Converting from one system to another is more of a "art" than a matter of conversion charts. Just the use of "SIZ" in BRP throws a lot of stats out of whack for other game systems.

I think the more interesting approach, and fun, would be to do a "stat thread" for Tschai after the finished BRP book releases. We can debate amongst the fans just how tough a typical Phume really is...

Oh, and Mithras? You can have your Space:Above & Beyond RPG... AFTER I get my Adventures of Brisco County Jr RPG. :lol:

Converting from one system to another is more of a "art" than a matter of conversion charts. Just the use of "SIZ" in BRP throws a lot of stats out of whack for other game systems.

I think the more interesting approach, and fun, would be to do a "stat thread" for Tschai after the finished BRP book releases. We can debate amongst the fans just how tough a typical Phume really is...

Oh, and Mithras? You can have your Space:Above & Beyond RPG... AFTER I get my Adventures of Brisco County Jr RPG. :lol:

Ah great, TAOBCJ is a classic show. Now I have to think about that as a RPG setting. Scratch off another hour a day of my life!

One setting I've always toyed with, and once began a simple-to-play homebrew of, is of commandoes in the deserts of WW2 North Africa. The birth of the SAS, and the Long Range Recon Patrols, using jeeps and chevrolet trucks piled with machinegun mounts and gear for long range drives into the deep deserts to strike at the Afrika Korps.

Each player has one vehicle and two characters. The unit needs certain key individuals, cook, map-reader, mechanic, etc, but there's lots of cross-training. Plenty of desert environment to cope with, plus isolation and 'going crazy' so far from civilisation.

Is it too focussed?

Is there any way to broaden this up? Or even introduce fantasy elements to give it that scary cutting edge that makes it stand out?

I dunno - I think it maybe is just a short story arc! I like the idea of getting your expedition together, and trying to keep it together, alive and well, and then go and blow stuff up and get back with everyone chasing you.

Paul Elliott