Gods of Law Monograph?

Tywyll

Mongoose now has the rights to publish Moorcock stuff, so Chaosium won't be reprinting. This is a shame because both Gods of Law and Gods of Chaos were insanely cool. I had run a bunch of games in the YK and started getting bored with it, so I decided to shelve the setting and do other things. Charles' monographs got me excited about the setting again.

Edit: As far as content, Gods of Law had mook rules and a system of summoning Virtues. These were personified aspects of Law that the summoning champion would strive to emulate. If a worthy champion summoned the virtue, they would gain powers related to the given aspect of Law that the virtue represented. It was very well done.

Additionally, he fleshed out some of the history of the YK and made Goldar not so ridiculous.

It's really a shame that these books had such a small circulation. It's also a shame that we didn't get a Beast/Plant Lords book, an Elemental Lords book and a Balance book...

:)

70/420

I never got a copy of Gods of Law to clash violently with my Gods of Chaos, and I regret it deeply.

While the typesetting and layout of GoC was a little strange, the content is first-rate.

I wonder if the writers of these excellent supplements are working with Mongoose on something to support that game?

Emerging from my Dark Age...

I wonder if the writers of these excellent supplements are working with Mongoose on something to support that game?

I'm the author of both of the monographs you've mentioned above, and I have also done two books for Mongoose's EC line. Despite being written for MRQ, they are very compatible with BRP.

The first was Bright Shadows, an in-depth look at Melnibone, the island and its people. The second was Magic of the Young Kingdoms, which is exactly what it sounds like.

I'm not currently working on anything for them, but that will likely change in the future.

I'm the author of both of the monographs you've mentioned above, and I have also done two books for Mongoose's EC line. Despite being written for MRQ, they are very compatible with BRP.

The first was Bright Shadows, an in-depth look at Melnibone, the island and its people. The second was Magic of the Young Kingdoms, which is exactly what it sounds like.

I'm not currently working on anything for them, but that will likely change in the future.

I love Magic of the Young Kingdoms, btw. It is wonderful. Am currently trying to work on a way to make 'Paths of Elementals' work in my soon to be run BRP game.

I never got a copy of Gods of Law to clash violently with my Gods of Chaos, and I regret it deeply.

While the typesetting and layout of GoC was a little strange, the content is first-rate.

There's also 'Cults of the Young Kingdoms' coming out in the next few months for Elric, which expands on the basic cult rules from the main Elric game. Its a very different beast to Charles' monographs but again highly compatible with BRP. It also covers lawful, chaotic, elemental and some other, less-easy to categorise YK cults.

And, sometime next year I'll be working on a mega-campaign for Elric.

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

• 3 weeks later...

Mark me up for Gods of Law too.

I managed to find Gods of Chaos in a flgs in Manchester. I never did see any of the others.

Hear, hear! Mark me up also for copies of these if it is at all possible... which it doesn't seem! Which also is cryy-hyyy-ing shame!

Or? I mean, on a site like this it should be possible to get loooots people interested in buying atleast a xerox copy of the original, is it so tightly copyrighted??

Just my untethered heart crying here.

"I intend to live forever, or die trying" - Groucho Marx

Sadly, my understanding is that Chaosium can sell the books they have left when it comes to the Moorcock line and that's it. No reprinting is to be done and Gods of Law is very sold out. It is a crying shame because it did so many things right. It diverged a bit from canon, but it did so very well.

It reintroduced Virtues, but they had a Unknown Armies Avatar vibe. You summon saints to gain special powers. There were three circles of initiation and with each circle, the power would be stronger. It introduced rules for the Barrier of Law. It introduced Mook rules. It fleshed out the history to the Church of Law. It also made the cult of Goldar kind of cool.

If I had to choose two books to run an EC game it would be Elric! and Gods of Law. If I could add another, it would be Gods of Chaos. If I had a four, I'd add Bronze Grimoire.

70/420

It reintroduced Virtues, but they had a Unknown Armies Avatar vibe. You summon saints to gain special powers. There were three circles of initiation and with each circle, the power would be stronger. It introduced rules for the Barrier of Law. It introduced Mook rules. It fleshed out the history to the Church of Law. It also made the cult of Goldar kind of cool.

Wow. I am fundamentally sorry I missed this book!

If I had to choose two books to run an EC game it would be Elric! and Gods of Law. If I could add another, it would be Gods of Chaos. If I had a four, I'd add Bronze Grimoire.

That's high praise - those are terrific books. Mr. Green, thanks for sharing!

-pax-

Howdy All,

Talking about this, I recently received all the material Richard Watts did for Gods of Law and I'm trying to get Chaosium to allow me to publish it up on Stormbringerrpg.com. I could easily put that (as well as the Guide to Old Hrolmar) up on the site - especially since I did all the layout :P

What I'm really after is a copy of Gods of Chaos, as it is the only SB supplement I don't own... if anyone here does, I'll happily open discussion on purchasing it!

Marcus

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org

DCtRPG.info - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com

• 3 weeks later...

Good News...

I've received permission (from all parties) to upload not only Gods of Law but all of the Stormbringer Monographs to Stormbringerrpg.com.

I'm fortunate enough to have .pdf copies of both Old Hrolmar and Gods of Law on my HDD (as I was the one who did the layout) and Charles has kindly forwarded me a copy of his Gods of Chaos Monograph (which I'll reformat to match the other two in style).

Don't hold your breath, but they will slowly make their way up to the site!

Marcus

Stormbringer! - Exploring the worlds of the Eternal Champion at http://www.stormbringerrpg.com

Unbound Publishing - Bringing back the fear - http://www.unboundbook.org

DCtRPG.info - Supporting Dark Conspiracy across the decades - http://www.darkconspiracytherpg.com

My excitement is both a) boundless, and B) creme-filled!

My courier-mono copy of Gods of Chaos taunts me from my shelf... "Na-na! You don't have my companion books!"

Not for long. . .

Thanks so much for putting in this effort, Marcus! Your Stormbringer site is also quite slick. Congrats, my man.

-pax-

Good News...

I've received permission (from all parties) to upload not only Gods of Law but all of the Stormbringer Monographs to Stormbringerrpg.com.

Excellent news Marcus.

I'm fortunate enough to have .pdf copies of both Old Hrolmar and Gods of Law on my HDD (as I was the one who did the layout) and Charles has kindly forwarded me a copy of his Gods of Chaos Monograph (which I'll reformat to match the other two in style).

Even better!

Don't hold your breath, but they will slowly make their way up to the site!

You know, may be I should go back to trying to finish the rewrite of that epic Stormbringer campaign I was planning to offer for a million spheres...

;)

Nick

(who already has FAR, FAR too much to do as it is!)

• 1 month later...

Out of curiosity Marcus, how's it coming along?

You know, may be I should go back to trying to finish the rewrite of that epic Stormbringer campaign I was planning to offer for a million spheres...

Epic Stormbringer campaign? I think the answer is a definite, "Please, yes?"

70/420