Mythras Revealed!

lawrence.whitaker

Mythras Revealed!
Mythras is now available. The PDF is available immediately, and the print edition can be preordered from the Design Mechanism store. The print edition should ship in approximately 3-4 weeks.

Now, obviously, everyone should buy a copy of Mythras because it’s our flagship book, but of course there is the question that everyone who owns its direct predecessor, RQ6, will ask: ‘Do I need to buy Mythras too?’ The game engine is unchanged; aside from a few tweaks here and there, and the inclusion of a range of new Special Effects (including effects for Spirit Combat), the main changes are to layout, organization and page count. Mythras is 304 pages compared with 456 for RQ6, but as an edition of the game, you can quite happily continue using your old set of rules with all our new Mythras supplements, without worrying too much about missing out on anything that’s fundamentally changed. So, we hope you will buy Mythras, but we understand if you don’t want to.

To try to encourage you though, we are offering all our RQ6 customers a $5.00 discount on the PDF edition of the game. It’s usual price is $15.00, but our loyal customers can buy it for just $10.00 – and there’s a discount code being sent by separate email to everyone who ordered the PDF directly from us. If you bought through Drivethru, you'll get a similar email. If you purchased through Moon Design, please send me a PM so I can send the code separately.

So it’s welcome to Mythras – we’re delighted to bring it to you.
http://www.thedesignmechanism.com/products

Price
Print: $39.95 (includes PDF free of charge when bought from us)
PDF Only: $15.00 ($10.00 for RQ6 customers)

Mythras Combat Cards
Available exclusively from DrivethruRPG and other OneBookShelf sites, this play aid for Mythras presents each Combat Special Effect as a poker-deck sized playing card, featuring artwork on one side, and the effect’s description on the reverse. No more hunting through lists of effects, you can keep your favoured effects in its own hand, ready to consult or play as needed. The deck also includes cards representing Action Points and Luck Points, Fatigue and markers for various combat conditions.

All the new Special Effects found in Mythras are here, so if you don’t want to upgrade from RQ6, you can still get all the effects by buying the Combat Cards deck. Plus, the set comes with the deck in PDF form, so you can print off additional copies as needed – although the quality of these cards is beautiful, and far more desirable to use in play. The set has a guide book that describes different ways for using the cards, and explains the icons and colour coding used to differentiate between effect types.

This is a must-have accessory for all discerning Mythras players and GMs!

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/185 ... mbat-Cards

Price
Physical Card deck (55 poker sized cards, full colour): $15.00 (includes PDF guide booklet and card sheet)
Card deck PDF only: $10.00 (includes the PDF guide booklet)

Mythic Rome
Pete Nash’s Ennie Award winning book is back in print for Mythras! Updated for the Mythras engine, with new artwork and layout design, Mythic Rome is an exhaustive sourcebook for the Roman Empire during the Republic.

Mythic Rome encapsulates the dark and gritty past, allowing players to take part in the founding of Rome as a bandit on the Tiber; to overthrow the tyrant Tarquinius, the last of the 7 kings; conquer the rival Etruscan city states; watch the city be sacked by Gauls; battle Hannibal during the Punic Wars; take part in the malevolent Bacchanalian conspiracy; fight alongside Spartacus or against him; or choose sides during the civil war between Caesar and Pompey.

This invaluable book contains rules for everything from political standing to chariot racing, along with comprehensive Roman careers and guides for the weapons, armour and combat styles of Rome's legions and her enemies. Also included are obscure supernatural creatures and new magic systems to reflect the way magic works from the perspective of the Roman's themselves.

Continuing the quality and historical depth of the Design Mechanism's Mythic series, Mythic Rome stands as one of the best historical roleplaying supplements of all time, describing in intricate detail every aspect of everyday Roman life. Indeed, this book is packed with quotations written during the last days of the Republic, revealing shocking details of Rome the eternal city... a shining pinnacle of civilisation built upon a grisly foundation of crime, superstition, war and treachery.

Mythic Rome will be made available for preorders in early September. More details to follow.

Price
Print: $44.95 (includes free PDF when bought from us)

Mythic Rome Cover Lo Res Small.jpg

Cards.jpg

• Like 5

The Design Mechanism: Publishers of Mythras

DM logo Freeforums Icon.png

Got the PDF, and it really looks good, although a very few pages seem slightly empty (e.g. page 12). Tomorrow I will take a closer look to see which of the elements important for my settings may have changed, and then I will begin to finish the Mythras-based system for my Bhotana setting. Overall I am quite happy, and thank you very much for your good work. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

Got the PDF, and it really looks good, although a very few pages seem slightly empty (e.g. page 12).

Well, it is the end of the chapter... :)

As I've said earlier, you shouldn't find much at all has changed from RQ6, so hopefully you won't have too much adjustment work ahead of you.

• Like 1

Hi Loz,

As a UK resident I've just ordered the hardbacks of Classic Fantasy and Mythras from Aeon Games.

Do you know how I will be getting the PDFs ? I've only had an email confirmation from Aeon about the hardbacks but no mention of PDFs.

And a side question... any timescale on a print version of Mythic Britain ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, groovyclam said:

Hi Loz,

As a UK resident I've just ordered the hardbacks of Classic Fantasy and Mythras from Aeon Games.

Do you know how I will be getting the PDFs ? I've only had an email confirmation from Aeon about the hardbacks but no mention of PDFs.

I think it seems the pdf+print copy deal is only from Design Mechanism? I am interested in ordering from Aeon too, as they offer free postage, but I might order from DM, if it's the only way to get the pdf for the same price... and maybe the cards too.

And yay for Mythic Rome!

2 hours ago, groovyclam said:

Hi Loz,

That, I don't know. If you drop a line to Oliver Rathbone via the Help and Contact Us link on their website, he'll explain how it will be working. But you will get the free PDF as well as the print copy. That is a condition of our agreement with them.

On Mythic Britain, not sure yet. I think it, and Arkwright, will be the two titles released quite quickly.

Smart move to release the Combat cards and the Rome book at almost the same size, as is the discount for the core. The core will be the hardest sell to existing RQ6 customers, for obvious reasons but if you can swiftly back it up with new material and props it ought to keep the enthusiasm high. 

20 hours ago, lawrence.whitaker said:

As I've said earlier, you shouldn't find much at all has changed from RQ6, so hopefully you won't have too much adjustment work ahead of you.

Just downloaded the updated version of the PDF from DriveThruRPG, and there was no adjustment necessary at all. :)

"Mind like parachute, function only when open."

(Charlie Chan)

I have BRP ROME, but I'll definately grab Mythic ROME pdf + printed book to support Design Mechanism. The previous version is extremely detailed in content, and the best rpg I have seen done for Rome. I was watching HBO ROME a few years ago and reading Pete's rules after this, and it was just amazing, so accurate to the setting. I think this is a great setting to bring out under the Mythras banner !!!

I'll be grabbing the discounted Mythras pdf too, very nice. I don't think I'll get the printed book of Mythras at this stage, considering I have two copies of RQ6. But the discount is a nice carrot for me, just to see the difference in layout etc.

I do think the idea of special effect cards are quite gamist and novel, and may be a good practical way to make the game have its own identity separate to RQ. Tracking Actions, and using Luck will be so much more easier to monitor from a GM perspective. I know the RQ6 combat mechanics have not dramatically changed, but the tactile feel of a player throwing down a card and saying 'Disarm!' will add alot of fun to a game of Mythras. What a cool idea!

I could see a crowd funding project for an 'Exclusive' version of these cards with more evocative artwork, high quality materials etc :)

In any case I am really happy that Design Mechanism looks like flourishing! 

Great work guys!

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 2

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

About the deck, is one sufficient for the entire group (in my case 4 players & GM), or do you need more?

It might be, although players might prefer to have their own deck. Depends very much on the way you play and how comfortable players are choosing an effect. Some people don't need to consult anything, whereas others prefer to weigh-up options.

And it would seem more practical to give them to players only, the GM can/should keep books on paper, right?

Entirely up to the GM and the way you play. :)

On 24/08/2016 at 1:34 AM, Rurik said:

This. A pdf of the differences between RQ6 and Mythras would be awesome.

I've just had a quick visual scan between the two PDFs and what I can see is:

Cosmetic:

A new smaller font and less whitespace on each page means Mythras is 304 pages vs RQ6 450-ish. The artwork generally is smaller than in the RQ6 book which probably helps get the page count down as well. I also *think* a smidgen of the art from RQ6 is left out ( but there are a few new pieces too ).

Text:

1. Introduction by Steve Perrin and the history of RQ excised. Replaced by shorter intro to Mythras.

2. Strike Rank is renamed Initiative Bonus.

3. RQ6 Page 93 callout box - Weapon STR and DEX Requirements - dropped (not necessary as it was concerning RQ before version 6).

4. Combat chapter - 

• The Move Combat Action is rewritten.
  • The Regain Footing Combat Action is changed to as per Mythras Imperative version.
  • 10 new combat special effects added (7 of these are the ones from the existing Firearms supplement)

5. Magic chapter has all the stuff about runes on pages 165-168 of RQ6 excised.

6. Animism chapter -

• The callout box The Source of Spirits on Page 202 of RQ6 dealing with spirits and runes is excised.
  • The pages that were in the RQ6 Creatures chapter detailing spirits are moved into this chapter instead.
  • What were Fetch Abilities in RQ6 have been split out of the Fetch Spirit section and listed under a new section called Spirit Abilities (under the Designing Spirits section) - the intention being that it is a list you can pick from when designing your own spirits. Some abilities are renamed, some dropped and some added - there are now 31 of them.
  • All spirit types are now associated with one or more of these Spirit Abilities. Each spirit type write-up now explains any special effects a spirit has as being one or more of these Spirit Abilities (this has minimal in-game effect compared to RQ6 - it is just a better system of codifying spirits).
  • New Medicine Spirit added. Curse Spirit given full stats.
  • The subsections; Spirit Binding, Using Spirits, and Summoning a Spirit have been re-written to varying degrees - spirits can now be bound to 3 things; fetishes, locations or creatures.
  • The section Spirit Combat has been rewritten somewhat - spirits can attack in the real world (as well as the Spirit World) without first pulling the victim into the Spirit World.
  • There are also now Special Effects for Spirit Combat.
  • There is now a 3rd type of possession - Passive Possession

7. Cults and Brotherhoods chapter -

• RQ6 page 297 section Runic Affinities excised.
  • All mentions of affiliated runes for sample organisations are dropped.

8. Creatures chapter - 

• The Giant entry has a new callout box: One Head or Two?.
  • The RQ6 Appendix 2 and 3 tables for Chaos Features and Non-Human Hit Locations are moved into this chapter.

9. Appendix 1 of RQ6 dealing with using tabletop miniatures in combat is dropped.

10. RQ6 page 456 - Recommended Reading and Viewing - dropped.

11. Some chapters have their contents re-ordered slightly to make them flow better.

Edited by groovyclam
  • Like 2