Lunar Names

Jon Hunter

I tend to think of Darra Happan & Pelorian culture being heavily influenced by the ancient Achaemenid Empire, the 'First Persian Empire'.

However the Lunar Way has brought a lot of new influences, and I portray this by using mid-period Roman Empire (late Republic / early Imperium) military trappings for Lunar Imperial Garrisons. Lunar civilians tend to dress in ancient Persian garb, yet the Imperial Army presents itself very Roman-like styles at times.

I would tend to go with more Persian sounding names ratherr than Latin, otherwise I would find a tendency to portray the Lunars as too Romanesque, and it wouldn't feel authentically Gloranthan anymore, the Lunars would be just Roman stand-ins. Having soldiers with Roman Legionarie style armour with exotically  braided hairstyles and having ancient Persian sounding names tend to evoke more flavour than straight Roman copy-jobs.

You could alway mix things up a bit by having Roman sounding first names, and Persian sounding surnames, or vice versa. Whatever works, I guess, but I wouldn't go overboard on Latin names like Marcus, Pontius, etc otherwise it will sound like you are just hamming the Romans up too much.

This site may be helpful for names: http://www.behindthename.com/submit/names/usage/ancient-persian

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 4

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

7 minutes ago, Mankcam said:

Yes definitely add Hittite and the occasional Greek name to the list, perhaps throw the Latin out altogether.

Or keep the Latin names but remove the suffixes (E.g. -us) so they sound different.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

9 hours ago, Mankcam said:

Yes definitely add Hittite and the occasional Greek name to the list, perhaps throw the Latin out altogether.

Looking at the names used in many official sources so far, Latin is a big factor, I think its something that is being written out if possible, but its definitley there in RQ2 and 3 era lunar names.

I can't remember seeing too many Latin-like names for the Lunars in my RQ2 stuff, but I'ld have to take a look at my old Pavis and Big Rubble books to check.

There was definitely a Roman undercurrent to the Lunar portrayal in RQ2, but it was not as dominant as it was in later era products.

I think some of that Roman flavour came from how they behaved. Lunars were very 'official' in how they handled their business of governing provinces etc, with those licences for entering The Rubble, and having permanent garrisons in Pavis etc. I think a lot of that remains unchanged with contemporary depictions.

In my brain back then the Lunars seemed like a cross between Romans and Hittites, in equal measure. 

But then again I also thought that Sartarites may have been Hellenic-influenced, until the RQ3 Glorantha box sundered that for me ( which I guess is why I am happy with the current depiction of Orlanthi as 'Mycenaeans-Thracians')

I suspect the Lunar 'Roman' names and trappinge turned up more in RQ3 with books like 'Strangers In Prax' (Julian & The Lunar Coders etc), and was continued in the HeroWars & early HeroQuest books, as well as in fanzines and such.  

Definitely by the time HeroWars was published, the Orlanthi vs Lunars notion was often portrayed very similar to Gauls/Celts vs Romans, which seemed to feel a little wrong for many of us who still had earlier material.

I didn't mind it at the time, but it didn't feel particularly Gloranthan to me; whereas earlier portrayals hinted towards something very different to this.

So I am using an Achaemenid Persian flavour for the core Pelorian culture (with a touch of Hellenic Greek and also Phrygian Anatolian in places, such as armour styles for Solar Hoplites, etc), and mixing in a lot of Roman military trappings for the Lunar Imperial Army, it seems to fit with how I have read the G2G.

But getting back on topic, I thnk for gaming purposes I would use Persian names as a firm base, but mix and match with whatever sounds good, whether it's Latin, Greek, Egyptian or whatever.  

(although there is always bound to be a Provincial Governor who turns up called 'Biggus Dickus' no matter what you do, heh heh,)

Edited by Mankcam

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

We don't use Roman names for Lunars any more. If you look at Fortunate Succession or Glorious Reascent of Yelm, you have a good selection of aristocratic Dara Happan names to run with.

Provincial names are different. Here's a selection of Lunar Tarshite names (from the forthcoming RQ):

Female: Durlindia, Erantha, Ernadali, Eteodona, Harsta, Hawarin, Hyjemkosta, Inkarne, Jorendona, Kana, Kerentha, Oriane, Sandene, Yaranbora, Yenesting.

Male: Annstad, Arim, Barterim, Danbal, Fazzur, Halifijeem, Illaro, Maroftoor, Moirades, Onjur, Ovardul, Palashee, Phargentes, Phoronestes Pyjeemstoor, Varstpoor, Vostor.

Those names are similar to those that you would find in Aggar, Holay, and southern Vanch, and are also the same as likely found in Wintertop and the Far Place.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jeff said:

We don't use Roman names for Lunars any more. If you look at Fortunate Succession or Glorious Reascent of Yelm, you have a good selection of aristocratic Dara Happan names to run with.

Provincial names are different. Here's a selection of Lunar Tarshite names (from the forthcoming RQ):

Female: Durlindia, Erantha, Ernadali, Eteodona, Harsta, Hawarin, Hyjemkosta, Inkarne, Jorendona, Kana, Kerentha, Oriane, Sandene, Yaranbora, Yenesting.

Male: Annstad, Arim, Barterim, Danbal, Fazzur, Halifijeem, Illaro, Maroftoor, Moirades, Onjur, Ovardul, Palashee, Phargentes, Phoronestes Pyjeemstoor, Varstpoor, Vostor.

Those names are similar to those that you would find in Aggar, Holay, and southern Vanch, and are also the same as likely found in Wintertop and the Far Place.  

Cheers Jeff,

I like to look at expanding the name lists out in ways that reflect real world languages groups and look like a language group of names.

For my Balazaring list I plundered slavic because i thought it was interesting, and reflected the published names, added some published name prefixes and stems and created a hybrid that serves my purposes, and feels believable, though there do seem to be some duffers on my list. 

http://www.backtobalazar.com/balazaring-names/

I want to do the same, just so i create NPC's with believable and Cultural names, and hopefully my players hear a name and can guess the culture.  Or at least have it feel right. Unfortunately when writing NPCs you don't want to names duplicate even though that would be common in a culture so id want a longer name list. 

I can see the empire having a large range of different naming conventions and groups.

At least;

• Dara Happen
  • Pelorian
  • Provinces - with variations
  • Carmathian
  • and something different from the arcos river basin
  • and i like the imperial names idea from the imperial handbook

Any ideas of what real world sources to plunder and inspire that at least wont Jar?

13 hours ago, Tindalos said:

I believe they're meaning the Dara Happan Sacred Alphabet on page 103/104, which has the suffixes

That is correct.

And between that and GRoY/FS, will give you many stem components to build out DH-derived Lunar names.

But for a broader range of Lunar names, you also need to look at Entekosiad which has Pelandan-derived names/stems.

• 3 weeks later...

For Dara Happan names, names can be used with a -us, -a or other Latin termination, etc. Other forms can be derived from Greek in the same way but it is not found in the Gloranthan sources.

For Lunar names the forms are whatever. Everyone in the Empire can become a Lunar.

Edited by Tcneseleis