Jump to content

Guide to Glorantha Group Read Week 1 errors


Recommended Posts

This is a place where you can post any errors you spot in the Week 1 Guide to Glorantha Group Read. Please note that there will be a different thread each week to post errors.

This weeks page range is the cover up to and including page 17. Please note which Guide version you are using - KS, Chaosium or PDF. Please include the text to be corrected and the correction.

I will open week 2 tomorrow evening so you can add any as you read the next section. Thanks.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, David Scott said:

PDF Page 10. Six Hells are Shown. should be Five Hells are shown. The Second Underworld is missing, based on the others Veskerele is missing?

Raised during the review period. I believe I was told that one of the Hells shown is twinned - the one on the left where Annara Gor and Deshlotralas are shown.

 

1 hour ago, jongjom said:

PDF page 10. Picture looks like the Sun rises in the West and sets in the East. 

Believe this is an illusion because the 'rising Sun' Rune has rays above it; the 'setting Sun' has rays below it.

 

1 hour ago, jongjom said:

Gates of... are out of sequence in the Index page 768

The 'gate' and 'gates' entries are all in alphabetical order, 's' being sorted after ' '; 'the' also affecting the order of the sort.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, M Helsdon said:

Raised during the review period. I believe I was told that one of the Hells shown is twinned - the one on the left where Annara Gor and Deshlotralas are shown.

 

Believe this is an illusion because the 'rising Sun' Rune has rays above it; the 'setting Sun' has rays below it.

 

The 'gate' and 'gates' entries are all in alphabetical order, 's' being sorted after ' '; 'the' also affecting the order of the sort.

Thanks, I didn't quite spot the singular vs. plural Gates. But this leads to the question is the Gate of Dawn an error (page 158): should this not be written in the plural? NB They are written in the plural on page 10. 

Edited by jongjom
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, jongjom said:

Thanks, I didn't quite spot the singular vs. plural Gates. But this leads to the question is the Gate of Dawn an error (page 158): should this not be written in the plural? NB They are written in the plural on page 10. 

Possibly, though the Sun can only go through one gate at any time! 8-) I didn't notice the duplication of singular and plural when generating the index seed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

PDF as well as Hard Cover (Moon Design purchase), p. 16, middle column, fourth paragraph: ‘… Thet are likely to be a wanderer in search of fame, prestige, or simple wealth, ...’

Should be 'They', as it is In the original(?) text in the Glorantha book from the RuneQuest III box Glorantha: Genertela, Crucible of the Hero Wars.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, David Scott said:

... Please note which Guide version you are using - KS, Chaosium or PDF. Please include the text to be corrected and the correction.

...

8 hours ago, Oracle said:

PDF as well as Hard Cover (Moon Design purchase) ...

By the way: I've purchased my version of the Guide (Hard Cover as well as PDF) in April 2015 through the shop on glorantha.com, i.e. Moon Design Publications. Is this version identical with the Kickstarter version? Although: The PDF, I'm using is from February 2016, so I've obviously got an update on the PDF, which then couldn't be the Kickstarter version ...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Cosmology map on p.10:

Looking under the surface of the water, I think that Slon is not depicted correctly. While we have no evidence that the Break created a vertical fracture of the earth cube, that shallow sliver doesn't appear thick enough to house the vast underground realm of the Decamony of Slon.

Edited by Joerg
request by David Scott
  • Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Oracle said:

By the way: I've purchased my version of the Guide (Hard Cover as well as PDF) in April 2015 through the shop on glorantha.com, i.e. Moon Design Publications. Is this version identical with the Kickstarter version? Although: The PDF, I'm using is from February 2016, so I've obviously got an update on the PDF, which then couldn't be the Kickstarter version ...

Yeah, I think this is going to get confusing. There have been two versions of the PDF as far as I'm aware. My orginal one has a modified date (when I check the file properties in Windows) of 22 August 2015 and my latest one a modified date of 1st March 2016. But the text in the PDF (e.g. imprints page) doesn't have anything that I'm aware of that shows the difference. I bought my hard copy from Moon Design too, not via the KS, though of course it's a KS hard copy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Steve said:

Yeah, I think this is going to get confusing. There have been two versions of the PDF as far as I'm aware. My orginal one has a modified date (when I check the file properties in Windows) of 22 August 2015 and my latest one a modified date of 1st March 2016. But the text in the PDF (e.g. imprints page) doesn't have anything that I'm aware of that shows the difference. I bought my hard copy from Moon Design too, not via the KS, though of course it's a KS hard copy.

@Rick Meints can we clarify what versions of the Guide there are (PDF and Hardback) so we can so we can give you the right kind of feedback for error checking?

Edited by David Scott

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Joerg said:

I didn't take too close a look at the sun in Hell, because of its smaller symbol I had assumed that this was Lightfore.

Taking a look at the surface map, this appears to describe the situation in the Dawn Age, with Jrustela intact and Kylerela floating southeast of Teshnos.

Looking under the surface of the water, I think that Slon is not depicted correctly. While we have no evidence that the Break created a vertical fracture of the earth cube, that shallow sliver doesn't appear thick enough to house the vast underground realm of the Decamony of Slon.

can we take this out of the error thread please. 

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, metcalph said:

Where is the proper thread?   There's only the error thread that I can see.

Discussion of the map can go into the week 1 thread that i'll start tonight. I don't think the map is an error (i should have been clearer). We don't know what the map source is meant to be.

-----

Search the Glorantha Resource Site: https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com. Search the Glorantha mailing list archives: https://glorantha.steff.in/digests/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, David Scott said:

Discussion of the map can go into the week 1 thread that i'll start tonight. I don't think the map is an error (i should have been clearer). We don't know what the map source is meant to be.

I wasn't saying the map was an error (I myself have a list of observations about it) but was waiting for the proper thread and was worried that I had missed something.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Joerg said:

The Cosmology map on p.10:

Looking under the surface of the water, I think that Slon is not depicted correctly. While we have no evidence that the Break created a vertical fracture of the earth cube [...]

I had the same reaction. I would have expected an entire corner being broken, not just the surface.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The PDF misses some useful information from the dustcover - specifically the description of who the characters are on the cover, and the fact that the background is an ouranekki board. Someone who buys just the PDF would never know that this information is available.

Perhaps in a future update to the PDF this bit from the inside of the front jacket could be combined with the bios from the back flap - an extra page?

Edited by Steve
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/26/2017 at 5:35 AM, David Scott said:

@Rick Meints can we clarify what versions of the Guide there are (PDF and Hardback) so we can so we can give you the right kind of feedback for error checking?

The printed versions of the Guide have the same contents. We only updated the credits related pages.

As for the PDFs, of course there are a number of versions of the PDF, going back to before the Guide was printed. The most up to date version of the PDFs is on Chaosium.com

Anyone who has purchased the PDFs can get the latest copy there, although you will have to have an account set up on Chaosium.com, and you may also have to have Dustin add the PDFs to your list of previous purchases. We have records for who purchased the PDFs on Glorantha.com, but we did not automatically add them onto chaosium.com

  • Like 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Is there a typo on the Chaosium front dust jacket  where its says 

"Unlike most fantasy settings Glorantha draws its inspiration for the ancient world"

To my (British-english) ear, it sounds as though it ought to have been "...draws its inspiration from the ancient world"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, Byll said:

Is there a typo on the Chaosium front dust jacket  where its says 

"Unlike most fantasy settings Glorantha draws its inspiration for the ancient world"

To my (British-english) ear, it sounds as though it ought to have been "...draws its inspiration from the ancient world"

And there is more. In the next sentence it says:

"It has far more to do with Babylon, Classical Greece, ancient China, Hyboria, and Lhankmar that it does with medieval Europe, Le Mort D’Arthur, or the Hundred Years Wars. Its heroes are Achilles, Conan, Gilgamesh, and Rostum, not Galahad, Lancelot, and Roland."

I'm pretty sure it should be than instead of that (there is a quite similar sentence in HeroQuest Glorantha, where this is part is correct).

I'm not so sure with the hero's name after Gilgamesh. I guess this is there hero from the Shahnameh, but in all references I had access to he was called Rostam, Rustam, Rustom, or Rustum, never Rostum. But that would be just another variant, so it's also correct maybe.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...