Tribal Source Editing: The Eleven Lights

jongjom

Any parallels with a Gloranthan computer game? Maybe worth mentioning earlier on.

Page 4

“an eight-year campaign” 1618 to 1625 would be a seven-year campaign

Before 1624 the key conflict is that between the Rivals (see page XX), their...          please add in the relevant page number

…”agenda’ within the clan and expect it to reappear.”

Why is “Rivals” used as a noun (with capital R) but not “the ring”

Page 5

“When the game starts, it may be enough in character generation to tell the players about Broddi Strong-Kin (see page XX) and the Rivals (see page XX) from the Red Cow clan.”

please add in the relevant page numbers

“You may find it helpful to sketch this dozen on a simple relationship map, and show the PCs their connections

with them and each other.” – too late now but I would have preferred that this was already done

Page 6

When picking NPCs before 1624, focus on the Rivals (see page XX):

Edited by jongjom
clarification

Page 7

“from Broddi and the Rivals (see page XX), most of the NPCs here”

Page 8

…”Rivals (see page XX), neighboring clan chieftains or Telmori shaman.”

Page 9

“The timeline given in The Guide to Glorantha should be your yardstick here.”

Not too sure what is being said here as the present in The Guide to Glorantha is 1621. It does have a timeline past then. 

“Note that we cover the option of the Three New Stars heroquest failing in this book — which may mean that your game deviates from the outline of history presented in the Guide.”

Same again. It’s not ‘history’ yet in the Guide: future prophesy may be.

• Like 1

I haven't done a thorough read-through yet, but yesterday the Crimson Bat episode took my fancy.

On p.70, last paragraph, there is a bracket to look up "Captured" on a total defeat fleeing from the pursuers. I tried to look that up, and used text search, but couldn't any section like this except p.36, which is part of the Giant's Cow heroquest and not quite applicable to the situation with the Bat.

I checked whether this is a reference to "The Crimson Bat Comes To Sartar" in Sartar Companion - it isn't.

• Like 1

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Page 9

“Decide how events unfold ‘off-camera,’ and present those in turn to the players.”

Depending on how sensitive readers are to using modern terms in a Bronze Age setting may be change this to:

“Decide how events unfold ‘off-stage,’ and present those in turn to the players.”

Page 10

The idea is that you can use these outlines as a framework to run adventures in any year of the campaign[full stop] Although you can use these at any time,

Page 13

Larnste’s Table (page XX), Old Wind please add in the relevant page numbers

I’ll avoid any further mention of this as you know how to Find "XX”!

p.9 – In Medias Res – accusative plural female of “medius, a, um” since “res” is accusative plural, and female, meaning “into the middle things”. “In Media Re” (ablative singular) would be “in(side) the middle thing”, indicating a fixed location and not a direction.

(Direct translation of the phrase “into the middle of things” would result in “In Medium Rerum” and “in(side) the middle of things” would be “In Medio Rerum”, with Medium a neutral noun rather than a flexed adjective, but that’s not a phrase used by the Romans and their successors.)

I did learn during fact checking that this method was identified by Horatius Flaccus and describes the start of Homer's Ilias.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

Page 34

The image caption should read Bergilmer rather than Gochbadun, right?

Page 38

The prophecy mentions nine orange and one pale blue star accompanying the green star in Orlanth's Ring, but everywhere else in the book -- even after the three new stars are added -- the "ten virtuous stars" are shown or described as all being orange.

Page 115

Is there a more detailed exegesis of Minaryth's belts? I know there are explanations of the overall meaning of the belts, but I wish that there was something to detail the actual meaning of the individual runes and details on the belts themselves. I may have missed it, though.

Page 118

Under "Preparing for the Heroquest Challenge" the Darkness rune is used where the Water rune should be.

On 7/25/2017 at 11:47 PM, BigJackBrass said:

1618 to 1625 inclusive is eight years.

I've never heard or seen anyone use dates as inclusive. I would always say that 2006-2012 was six years, not seven.

7 hours ago, David Scott said:

Page 8 is surely early enough?

May be. 

However on page 3 there is a commentary on the wish to "create a game that matches Greg’s groups’ famous adventures", and then next page is a KoDP picture (one of many). 

Anyway not a biggie and not worth changing the layout. 

20 hours ago, kaydet said:

I've never heard or seen anyone use dates as inclusive. I would always say that 2006-2012 was six years, not seven.

Take it to its extreme. Is a campaign of 2006-2006 one year or zero years?

If one year, then 2006-2007 is two years, 2006-2008 three years, 2006-2009 four years, 2006-2010 five years, 2006-2011 six years and, wait for it, 2006-2012 seven years.

If zero years, then subtract one year from the above.

Having the same year as one year makes more sense to me.

As a programmer, this is one of the things that constantly comes back to haunt us. Do we count the first day/week.month/year as one? It depends on the situation in most cases.

Edited by soltakss
  • Like 3

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

Pages 131 and 134.

Lo-Yin, Abenna the True, and Sadiya-ma Montalk-owned are given the Black Moon Phase Rune, when they should have the Water Rune.

(Presumably this is the same error as on 118. Sadiya's rune may not be an error, but given the other NPCs it's worth checking)

On 04/08/2017 at 7:38 AM, Mark Mohrfield said:

I may be wrong about this, but the Runes associated with some of the Corpse Stars seem off to me. 

Yep, same to me!

• Varnaval the Shepherd King: Beast (Sheep) instead of Air.

• Siwend the Hunter: Man... OK, but why?

• Korolful the Keen: Sky/ Fire instead of Fate (even though Fate is a Rune of Rigsdal!?!).

• Baroshi the Avenger: Earth... for the son of Varalz, a Storm god?!?

• Saren, Elmal’s Charioteer: Movement instead of Sky/ Fire as @Mark Mohrfield said above.

• Oonil the Skillful, Harmony... check!?!

• Tanian the Fiery Waters: Water _and_ Fire instead of Dragonewt

Baroshi was never worshipped whereas (some of) the others may well have been, so how come he was included?

Edited by Christoph Kohring

1 hour ago, Christoph Kohring said:

Baroshi the Avenger: Earth... for the son of Varalz, a Storm god?!?

Baroshi has always had an Earth connection from the point he first appeared in Snakepipe Hollow.  He's the Barley Seed (easily blown by the wind to land in the earth).  His weapons are Earth weapons.  He's supported by Babeester Gor.

1 hour ago, Christoph Kohring said:

Baroshi was never worshipped whereas (some of) the others may well have been, so how come he was included?

1) it makes a good story connection to SPH.

2) he falls under the 'might have been' worshipped if not forgotten.

On 04/08/2017 at 6:38 AM, Mark Mohrfield said:

I may be wrong about this, but the Runes associated with some of the Corpse Stars seem off to me. Korolful description seems to emphasize his Sky connections, but he has the Fate Rune while Saren, Elmal's Charioteer has the Fire/Sky Rune rather than the Motion Rune. 

His runes might well be Fire and Motion, but for the purposes of this episode, the Fire aspect is important

On 27/07/2017 at 11:44 PM, kaydet said:

Which year, first or last, would you not include in the range, and why that one instead of the other one?

Simon Hibbs

Check out the Runequest Glorantha Wiki for RQ links and resources. Any updates or contributions welcome!

On 7/27/2017 at 3:44 PM, kaydet said:

yes, you have, every single time someone lists the years, they were inclusive.  You just didn't realize it till now. If the Red Queen's reign was from 1487 to 1495 she ruled for 9 years.  She ruled in 1487, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 and 95.  Count em, 9.  If you try to say she only ruled 8 of those years she'll have to cut your head off.

• Like 1