Coming in Q1 2020: Gateways to Terror for Call of Cthulhu

MOB

Here's a sneak peak at the cover art work for a new Call of Cthulhu anthology of scenarios we're working on, due for release in Q1 2020:

1129279201_GatewaystoTerrorsmaller.thumb.jpg.5c8999bbad0b91f1e4e220aad149dcdc.jpg

Featuring the writing talents of Leigh Carr (scenario contest winner, author of The Necropolis), Jon Hook (Age of Cthulhu, The Shadow over Providence, Miskatonic University Podcast), and Chaosium's own Todd Gardiner.

The fab cover art is by Chris Huth (13th Age Glorantha).

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, Addison said:

Yes, I too am concerned that the art for the world’s premium horror roleplaying game is becoming way too goofy.

I'm not concerned exactly, since I don't know if this is going to have a less serious tone or not. The cover makes me think it's more of a Blood Brothers sort of thing than a horror adventure, which I'm absolutely fine with. On the other hand, if it is actually a book of more usual CoC adventures then yes, I'd agree that the cover miss-sells it entirely. That's why I'm after more info on the contents. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, klecser said:

I appreciate the quality of the art that Chaosium commissions and don't think there is any "danger" of this art style miscommunicating the game's flavor.

I don’t know, as great as the Berlin book is, from the little I’ve seen, there were a few pieces of art which I felt were definitely a bit off, with goofy central characters. Rather unfortunately they were full page pieces.

Im not saying we’re in Elder Secrets territory by any stretch of the imagination, but a few pieces have been a little disappointing by Chaosium’s new high standard.

The question of style is another thing. Perhaps the rise of pulp play is leading the direction. As has been said, the cover of Terrors clearly suggests pulp contents.

Edited by Addison
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Addison said:

I don’t know, as great as the Berlin book is, from the little I’ve seen, there were a few pieces of art which I felt were definitely a bit off, with goofy central characters

Oh, really? That's a pity: I've only seen the cover so far, but frankly it's one of the best game covers I've seen in years, from any company, the sort of piece that truly sells the book. Shame if the internals fall below that standard. 

Don’t get me wrong, the internal art is , on the whole, very good. There are just a couple of, from what I remember, unfortunately large off pieces with goofy figures. I think it particularly stands out because there is a clear period aesthetic which one hopes for, and because, as you say, the cover is superb.

Edited by Addison
  • Like 1

The cover art for Gateways for Terror is by Chris Huth. It is three introductory scenarios that have been used to demonstrate Call of Cthulhu at conventions, the key feature being that they are all designed to be played in a one to two hour time slot, and are ready to play with pre-made investigators with minimal set up time (other than reading them over first before running them). 

The cover art shows three investigators running away from some nameless horror. 

• Like 2

I think that cover works okay for a goofy variant of Pulp Cthulhu.

However I really don't think it has the right tone for the standard Call Of Cthulhu game. 

Just sayin'

Edited by Mankcam
  • Like 1

" Sure it's fun, but it is also well known that a D20 roll and an AC is no match against a hefty swing of a D100% and a D20 Hit Location Table!"

5 hours ago, ProfessorDetective said:

From what I've gathered, this is another adventure compilation. Specifically, three short (about two hours) one-shots. My guess is it's meant for newcomers who still need to get their feet webbed... I mean, wet.

Sounds like a useful product, not just for beginners either. There are certainly times when a short, easy to run adventure is just what I need. 

No definitive word on the tone of the adventures, but the lack of any mention of comedy or a light-hearted approach suggests they're actually in the serious, traditional style, which is certainly more generally useful and probably better for newcomers to the game. 

20 hours ago, klecser said:

I appreciate the quality of the art that Chaosium commissions and don't think there is any "danger" of this art style miscommunicating the game's flavor.

In which case it looks like you're off the mark on this one. 

Edited by BigJackBrass
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, BigJackBrass said:

In which case it looks like you're off the mark on this one. 

If "off the mark" means seeing the forest for the trees, then I'm happy where I am. :)

Edited by klecser

It's definitely not a cover I would choose for a horror game. I have seen some BW art by Chris Huth that was more horrific, so it can't be the artist, really. The green colour, the comedic fat guy with the oversized Browning-like gun (imagine the woman on the right holding that), the D&D looking cultist on the left and some random tentacles doesn't exactly scream horror. This tone has also been prevalent on covers made by other artists. Chaosium would be well advised to look at old horror movie posters and book covers to see how it's done unless they are aiming their products at 8 year old Ghostbusters-fans. Is CoC a horror game or isn't it? If yes, make the art reflect that.

Edited by midwinter

THE ODIOUS ONE

I like the cover, but it's not horror. It's a pulp cover. If the adventures are Pulp Cthulhu adventures then there is no problem. If they are "standard 1920" adventures, than they do not really fit. I hope they have at least Pulp options / suggestions like some of the later Chaosium products.

• Like 2

Gateways to Terror is 3 short-play introductory scenarios. The cover is designed with introduction in mind to a more general audience. For core books, we aiming for more like the Berlin cover moving forwards. Art is subjective and some folk like what some others do not. Here's a sneak peak at one small element of the forthcoming Dreamlands cover.

Dream Crop copy.jpg

Edited by Mike M
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Personally, I like both covers. They are different, yes, but every artist has their own style and interpretation. Art has breadth. And while people can have their own preferred styles, saying that a certain art style "should" prevail, when one is not sitting in the editorial driver's seat, is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion. Mike chose a different artist and style than the preference of some. Shucks.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 8:05 AM, JonHook said:

I'm the guy in the middle.🤣

Nice!

I'm signed up to play in your CoC: The Shadow Over Providence game on Friday at 4:30 at NecronomiCON.  I'm looking forward to meeting you!

29 minutes ago, klecser said:

Personally, I like both covers. They are different, yes, but every artist has their own style and interpretation. Art has breadth. And while people can have their own preferred styles, saying that a certain art style "should" prevail, when one is not sitting in the editorial driver's seat, is a bit of a stretch, in my opinion. Mike chose a different artist and style than the preference of some. Shucks.

I like both as well but it definitely has a more of a Pulp feel to it.  Not saying its bad or wrong, just different, which I know can throw some people into a tizzy :D

I personally like it :D

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 3:42 PM, Mike M said:

Gateways to Terror is 3 short-play introductory scenarios. The cover is designed with introduction in mind to a more general audience.

That may work for players coming out of D&D or Mansions of Madness or for horror fans of Goosebumps rather than HPL.  Otherwise, I find it to be too silly.  The artist Chris Huth is quite capable of producing frightening Lovecraftian illustrations (check out his B&W work for Sentinel Hill Press), so I have to assume the responsibility lies with the art direction.

• Like 3