Robsbot

What D100 system to play?

67 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Simlasa said:

It's not so much the anthropomorphic nature of the aliens in that drawing that puts me off... Classic Traveller and, as pointed out, Runequest have their share of critter-people. It's the cuteness. Like... Vargr, Aslan, Dragonewts, Baboons, they're not cute... even Ducks aren't THAT cute.

Still, it shouldn't be much bother to just re-skin them into the usual collection of insect-men and sentient thistle pods.

Couldn't you just chalk the cuteness up to an artist's interpretation of the species? Kinda like the Disney version. Or were there things in the rules where the cuteness stuff played a factor? 

I wonder how much of "critter aversion" might be due to cartoons, especially the classic cartoons from the 40s and 50s? 

2 hours ago, Atgxtg said:

Couldn't you just chalk the cuteness up to an artist's interpretation of the species? Kinda like the Disney version. Or were there things in the rules where the cuteness stuff played a factor? 

I wonder how much of "critter aversion" might be due to cartoons, especially the classic cartoons from the 40s and 50s? 

Could just be the artist... I haven't read the game. Maybe they're really interesting and 'alien'... or maybe the rabbit-people like carrots and the bear-people like long naps and honey... dunno.
I'm just not so fond of them as alien species in scifi settings (or are they all uplifts?). I liked Jorune though, and that has a lot of uplifted (but not cute) critter-people.

I mind them a lot less in fantasy though... there's a tradition, such as with Wind In The Willows. When I was a kid I was a big fan of those weirdo Circle of Light books:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/the-completely-bonkers-world-of-niel-hancocks-circle-of-light/

8 hours ago, Simlasa said:

Could just be the artist... I haven't read the game. Maybe they're really interesting and 'alien'... or maybe the rabbit-people like carrots and the bear-people like long naps and honey... dunno.
I'm just not so fond of them as alien species in scifi settings (or are they all uplifts?). I liked Jorune though, and that has a lot of uplifted (but not cute) critter-people.

I mind them a lot less in fantasy though... there's a tradition, such as with Wind In The Willows. When I was a kid I was a big fan of those weirdo Circle of Light books:
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/blog/sci-fi-fantasy/the-completely-bonkers-world-of-niel-hancocks-circle-of-light/

No, the Other Suns aliens are really uninspired. Declaring most of them as uplifted Terran beasts would make them slightly more interesting.

They don't contribute much to the glimpses of the setting, either. Being weak on the setting apart from some technology antes could be regarded as a plus, though, if you are looking for a SF BRP system to apply to your favourite setting where the technology level somewhat fits. You don't lose much content, and you can go define your aliens using e.g. RQ3 guidelines for statting them.

I think one could come up with ways to use the various gloranthan critters as aliens by leaving out the pictures and keeping physical descriptions vague, possibly giving each a core new feature. Possibly redefining magic as technology.

19 hours ago, David Scott said:

Cool fantasy yes, furry Scifi - no (compartmentalisation is the only way I can remain sane)

Jokes aside, when it comes to scifi, i'm of the hard variety. Aliens in funny suits don't really do anything for me, unless its a spoof game.

But your point is taken :-)  

Actually, I'm closer to your position that the one I was joking with.  I mostly prefer my "sci-fi" on the hard-science side of things.  To grab the modern-classic example:  despite the spaceships-and-aliens trappings, I hold "Star Wars" as fundamentally a "fantasy" setting, not a sci-fi one.  I say "mostly" because I do enjoy the "science fantasy" universes like Star Wars (and I loves me some gonzo Gamma-World-ish action ! ) ;  but their "science fiction" elements are meaningless as science:  once a piece of the universe has gone over to fantasy, for me all the other pieces are magic, too.  Not even "ClarkeTech," no handwavium necessary to construct or explain... magic.  It just that this universe's magic happens to look like spaceships & lightsabers, not dragonsteeds & Holy Avengers.

As-noted upthread, sci-fi explanations for furries as "uplifted Terran animals" and "genecrafted human/animal hybrids" can be sufficiently-scientific that they'll work in a sci-fi setting (Eclipse Phase does this better than most, IMHO (but still suffers from anthropomorphism)) , but if they're just "humans in animal suits" it veers sharply away from the scientific, for me.  If they're "aliens" who all look like Terran Furries, and/or all think&act like humans... then my "suspension of disbelief" perforce includes "belief in science within the game-world:"  it's magic now, not science!

YMMV

On 14/03/2017 at 9:57 PM, SDLeary said:

I like some of its ideas, but hate the needless complexity. How did you pare it?

To clarify - you mean other suns or eclipse phase? 

On 15/03/2017 at 3:24 AM, Simlasa said:

Could just be the artist

The artist was my main problem

Screen Shot 2017-03-17 at 22.22.18.pngScreen Shot 2017-03-17 at 22.26.30.png

The foxoids, aka the Altani are easily the Vargr from traveller, even matching some of the back ground. But their portrayal ranged from ridiculous to traveller Vargr. The lionoids aka the Sanchienzii are the aslan. The squirreloids are just cute...

6 hours ago, David Scott said:

To clarify - you mean other suns or eclipse phase? 

Sorry, Eclipse Phase.

SDLeary

On 3/10/2017 at 10:40 PM, Robsbot said:

Not to derail the topic at hand, but any suggestions for D100 Sci Fi systems while we're at it?

It seems people have missed River of Heaven. It is the sci-fi version of OpenQuest.

56 minutes ago, jux said:

It seems people have missed River of Heaven. It is the sci-fi version of OpenQuest.

I've finally gotten around to reading RoH. Very entertaining stuff, and eminently gameable. I wish Cthulhu Rising would get the same treatment.

1 person likes this

On 18/03/2017 at 4:38 AM, SDLeary said:

Sorry, Eclipse Phase.

SDLeary

Basically I kept only the background and concepts. We shoehorned the careers of EP into OS, handwaving where needed. Body types were dealt with by giving stat alterations. Everything else worked well, with little change. I toyed with using Superworld for "super" stuff, but that made it too much work. Although not BRP, EP is close enough to make no difference. 

1 person likes this

On 3/12/2017 at 9:11 AM, Vile said:

I quite like the "sparseness" of Future*World. For example, I only hit my stride with Traveller once I learned to let go and love the sparseness. Reading a lot of science fiction and refereeing by the seat of one's pants can be very liberating. :)

I have found that some of the best "source books" is a copy of the inspiring fiction in one hand and a simple rules set in the other! So yes, I agree with your sentiment 101%. 

4 people like this

18 hours ago, jux said:

I already mentioned RoH earlier in this thread (11th of March)

Just sayin' :)

In answer to the opening post; I use Renaissance, Elric! and the BGB. Elric! I run straight out of the box for Sword & Sorcery gaming, Renaissance because I am running a Clockwork & Cthulhu campaign and BGB to create my own homebrew Top Secret, Traveller and Gamma World settings.

1 hour ago, jagerfury said:

Does River of Heaven have rules for exposure to hard radiation?

Yes, but they are not very detailed.