BRP 5th edition?

3 hours ago, MoonRightRomantic said:

Is there going to be BRP 5th edition that will include innovations from Call of Cthulhu 7th edition and other rules released since the publication of BRP 4th edition?

Do you mean a revision of the  BigGoldBook?   Then no; or at least, "not soon."

Yesterday, Chaosium wrote (on their FB page):

No plans for an update of the Big Gold Book at the moment

C'es ne pas un .sig

11 hours ago, g33k said:

Do you mean a revision of the  BigGoldBook?

Yes.

11 hours ago, g33k said:

Then no; or at least, "not soon."

That is bizarre. You would think they would update it before releasing the BRP SRD. The current SRD is adapted from the BGB 4e. It doesn't include any revisions made since 2007.

Not really. The BGB is really a 1.0 item, or if you prefer, its a multi version compilation.

It was designed as a tool box as opposed to a definitive version. BRP itself has been adapted/modified for each game it appeared in. The “core” really hasn’t changed much at all.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2020 at 7:53 AM, SDLeary said:

... The “core” really hasn’t changed much at all.

<looks at the original 16pg booklet>

<looks at BGB>

<clears throat meaningfully>

😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 years later...

I am curious if there has been any updates / announcements on this topic.

I'm thinking about buying the BRP BGB, but I don't want to have buyer's remorse if a new version could come out in the nearish future, so I'd only get a PDF copy in that case.

Are there any current plans to produce more generic BRP content?

There is no current plan for a revised BRP in anything like the "core rules + many options" format of the Big Gold Book. 

I would be in charge of that and it's not on my slate of projects, period. No new core book, no generic content, etc. 

If something like that hypothetically were to start, given the current production queue and pipeline, it would likely be at least two years before a new edition came out, and that would still use the existing core game rules as the current edition, perhaps incorporating rules from some of our more recent games. It would not be a 400-page behemoth, either.  

• Like 1
  • Helpful 2
  • Sad 1

Personally, while I'm all for more BRP content I don't think I need a new generic corebook.

I'd rather prefer to see Lords of the Middle Sea materialize soon and hopefully Mythic Iceland 2. 

And Stormbringer 6th edition if I am allowed to dream.

• Like 3

On 6/2/2022 at 5:08 AM, smiorgan said:

And Stormbringer 6th edition if I am allowed to dream.

Take that up with Mr. Moorcock, I'm afraid.
I've got no doubt Chaosium would be more than willing... but not without the appropriate permissions!

C'es ne pas un .sig

14 hours ago, g33k said:

Take that up with Mr. Moorcock, I'm afraid.
I've got no doubt Chaosium would be more than willing... but not without the appropriate permissions!

A few months ago Moorcock was saying on social media that he was talking with people about things and it *seemed* this included with Chaosium about Stormbringer. But what he said was actually very vague and a bit confusing. There's a thread in the Stormbringer forum about that.

Edited by smiorgan

1 hour ago, smiorgan said:

A few months ago Moorcock was saying on social media that he was talking with people about things and it *seemed* this included with Chaosium about Stormbringer. But what he said was actually very vague and a bit confusing. There's a thread in the Stormbringer forum about that.

Well!

Well, well, well.
That's good news (albeit a bit unexpected -- also vague and confusing, as you note)

Looking forward to further developments/announcements! 

C'es ne pas un .sig

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
On 4/1/2020 at 10:17 AM, MoonRightRomantic said:

That is bizarre. You would think they would update it before releasing the BRP SRD. The current SRD is adapted from the BGB 4e. It doesn't include any revisions made since 2007.

Not really. CoC7 is an experimental offshoot of the BRP rules, and does some things different from all the other BRP games. If they "updated" the BGB to be more in line with CoC7 then it would be less compatible with other BRP games including Magic World and, especially, RuneQuest.

Plus. I believe Chaosium is more into promoting stand alone rules with settings rather than generic mechanics, as the former sell better.

Chaos stalks my world, but she's a big girl and can take of herself.

11 hours ago, Thaenor said:

Ambit question, would the start of work on a new edition be considered if there is any shift of BRP to an Open RPG Creative License (ORC) that Chaosium have announced they'll likely embrace?

I find it more likely that the current BRP Essentials will be re-released under the ORC instead of their own OGL.

• Helpful 1

Wielder of the Vorpal Mace.

On 6/6/2022 at 1:25 AM, Rick Meints said:

A new edition of BRP is on our list of projects, but it is rather low priority.

Recent events 🤔 mean a new edition of BRP is now more of a priority than when Rick made this comment last year.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 2

13 hours ago, MOB said:

Recent events 🤔 mean a new edition of BRP is now more of a priority than when Rick made this comment last year.

Progress! 😉

I would like so suggest (yes its early, but why not dream a bit?!) the classic Chaosium two book approach:

1. Basic Role Playing: Worlds of Wonder – This would be a book that is basically the current SYB (Small Yellow Book) heavily edited for consistency in system and language; to make sure that everything makes sense. It would also include four somewhat generic settings. A basic Fantasy (Southern Reaches?) setting, with Magic (from BGB) presented. A basic Supers/Modern setting with the basic Superpowers (from BGB). A basic Sci-Fi setting with basic ship rules, etc. And, of course, a basic GM section with advice for the new prospective GM. Another way of doing this was covered some time ago in another thread, whereby you simply do a slipcase that presents full blown Magic World, Superworld, and (insert SciFi name here) World, but those were suggested as full blown stand alones, and would take more effort. 
  2. Basic Role Playing: Companion – All other rule options, that include not only a presentation of the subsystem itself, but notes on how to integrate it back into whichever core version (RQ or Stormbringer) of the rules are presented above. Errata (if not released concurrently with the first book), other magic, powers, tech. Perhaps more extensive GM advice.

As stated, just dreaming.

SDLeary

Edited by SDLeary
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1