Ian Thomson Pavis series

5 hours ago, Nick Brooke said:

Also relevant - those systems aren’t permitted on the Jonstown Compendium. If you did include Hero Wars or HeroQuest 1e stats, we’d ask you to remove them.

That is a fortunate coincidence of circumstances then :)

------------------------------------

Former Issaries Inc. 'Pavis Expert'

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

On 2/6/2022 at 4:56 PM, Ian Thomson said:

If anyone is super-proficient at RQ6 or QW stats this is the one skill-set none of us have. I can learn it for sure, but with the massive number of days of editing ahead the help would be appreciated. I remember back in the day creating stats in the systems I knew was as easy as eating a piece of toast 🙂

The hive mind expert in these parts for RQ6/Mythras would be @hkokko. Check this site out, you will not be disappointed. https://notesfrompavis.blog/2012/01/11/return-to-glorantha/

Edited by Bill the barbarian
  • Like 1

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

23 hours ago, Bill the barbarian said:

The hive mind expert in these parts for RQ6/Mythras would be @hkokko

Ian is actually asking for someone proficient with the current RuneQuest Rules, which he is mistakenly calling RQ6 instead of RQG.

You can't publish Mythras stuff in the Jonstown Compendium, after all.

• Helpful 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

1 hour ago, Rick Meints said:

You can't publish Mythras stuff in the Jonstown Compendium, after all.

True, thanks Rick. I though that maybe he was translating stuff from Mythras to RQ G.

Edited by Bill the barbarian

... remember, with a TARDIS, one is never late for breakfast!

On 2/8/2022 at 3:26 PM, Ian Thomson said:

Yes if they are available as pdfs I may well just buy them ...

Virtually everything is available as PDF.

I commend hard copies, though:  if you love RQ and Glorantha, the new edition books are just stellar love-letters to the game & the world!  Order straight from Chaosium and the hardcopy price comes with a free PDF, available for instant download.  In fact, I suggest buying the whole slipcase set.

If you're looking to do it as cheap as possible, the PDF's will work fine (and Chaosium will credit you the price of the PDF if you decide later that you need the hardcopy after all).

In that minimum-price model, I suggest:

RQG Core book:  https://www.chaosium.com/runequest-roleplaying-in-glorantha-pdf/

"Bestiary Preview", a free mini-bestiary, made available before the "real" bestiary was published:
https://wellofdaliath.chaosium.com/home/catalogue/publishers/chaosium/runequest-glorantha-bestiary-print/cha4032-runequest-glorantha-bestiary-preview-1-2018/rqg-preview-runequest-glorantha-bestiary-preview/

That preview may have enough, or it may not; if not, then you want the full Bestiary:  https://www.chaosium.com/runequest-glorantha-bestiary-pdf/

Edited by g33k
  • Thanks 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

4 hours ago, g33k said:

I commend hard copies, though:  if you love RQ and Glorantha, the new edition books are just stellar love-letters to the game & the world! 

I love books too. However, I've been collecting games and books and random misc crap since the mid 70's. I ran out of room for stuff ten years ago, and I'm contemplating a move to an even smaller place with less room for junk.

These days, 95%+ of my book purchases are ebooks. Notable recent purchases of dead tree books include the RQ2 Hardback, and the RQG starter set.

Edited by brionl
  • Like 3

On 2/6/2022 at 11:56 PM, Ian Thomson said:

If anyone is super-proficient at RQ6 or QW stats this is the one skill-set none of us have. I can learn it for sure, but with the massive number of days of editing ahead the help would be appreciated. I remember back in the day creating stats in the systems I knew was as easy as eating a piece of toast 🙂

Leon Kirshtein (@Godlearner) does the stats for our Holiday Dorastor series and does a really good job.

QuestWorlds stats should be really easy, as they are just a few Abilities with Breakouts. In fact, I would tie them in with the RQG stats, but lump some Spirit Magic and Runemagic into the same ability as Breakouts.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:56 PM, Ian Thomson said:

As always, the road to publication has many challenges, but Fabian, Dario & I look to be forming an unholy triumvirate intent on redesigning and re-releasing the Pavis & Big Rubble Companion series in the way it ideally would have been in the first place

Bit more tightening of editing, filling in some gaps, and putting all the pieces in a logical order for running a campaign

It's going to take many hours of work, but feels manageable over the next few months

Excellent! That has made my day.

On 2/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, Nick Brooke said:

FYI, QuestWorlds has no stats (for NPCs). None. Don’t be ripped off!

Yeah, I know. I don't care for that, much, to be honest.

• Like 1

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

On 2/7/2022 at 9:03 AM, Ian Thomson said:

regular RQ stats

If its RQ stat's you're after, take a look at https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/13507-npc-squads/

If that kind of thing is any use to you, I can generate high volumes of stats at low effort, and would happily lend a hand.

Of course, it might not be what you had in mind!

Edited by Stephen L
That old "submit post before finished" thing
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, soltakss said:
On 2/6/2022 at 6:56 PM, Ian Thomson said:

Leon Kirshtein (@Godlearner) does the stats for our Holiday Dorastor series and does a really good job.

Guilty as charged. Drop me a line of what you need. 

• Like 2

Started a new thread, since this one doesn't spell my name right :)

(That's not the main reason - my name isn't even in the title of the other thread. Just felt to start a new one as symbolic of this project starting to get off the ground.)

• Like 2

Some of my creations and co-creations: https://preview.drivethrurpg.com/en/browse?keyword=Ian Thomson 

• Rick Meints changed the title to Ian Thomson Pavis series
1 hour ago, Ian Thomson said:

Started a new thread, since this one doesn't spell my name right 🙂

(That's not the main reason - my name isn't even in the title of the other thread. Just felt to start a new one as symbolic of this project starting to get off the ground.)

The thread title doesn't look incorrect to me?

• Like 1

Hope that Helps,
Rick Meints - Chaosium, Inc.

On 2/9/2022 at 10:42 AM, Bill the barbarian said:

The hive mind expert in these parts for RQ6/Mythras would be @hkokko. Check this site out, you will not be disappointed. https://notesfrompavis.blog/2012/01/11/return-to-glorantha/

This does have some useful generators on there. Thanks for the heads-up

I have some excellent volunteers now doing some stat work, but it's a big job, especially when creating personalities, and I could do with some more help if anyone out there is already super quick and confident in whipping up RQG stats :)

44 minutes ago, Ian Thomson said:

This does have some useful generators on there. Thanks for the heads-up

I have some excellent volunteers now doing some stat work, but it's a big job, especially when creating personalities, and I could do with some more help if anyone out there is already super quick and confident in whipping up RQG stats 🙂

It's very useful... for TDM's Mythras.

For Chaosium's Runequest -- especially for publication -- it's not useful (and in fact could arguable render a product ineligible for the Jonstown Compendium, as Mythras license is held by TDM and they do NOT license to the JC) .

• Like 1

C'es ne pas un .sig

8 hours ago, g33k said:

It's very useful... for TDM's Mythras.

For Chaosium's Runequest -- especially for publication -- it's not useful (and in fact could arguable render a product ineligible for the Jonstown Compendium, as Mythras license is held by TDM and they do NOT license to the JC) .

We are only doing RQG stats. It's too much work to do anything else. I might have considered leaving the already created HW and HQ stats in, but they are not allowed on JComp, plus I never really liked those systems

The only possible other thing is if some volunteer QW stats genius wanted to go through everything and add notes for converting it to QW. Nobody has offered that yet though

1 hour ago, Ian Thomson said:

he only possible other thing is if some volunteer QW stats genius wanted to go through everything and add notes for converting it to QW. Nobody has offered that yet though

I could do that. My take on QW and HQ is a very lite, no-nonsense version, though, but that might suit the P&BRC.

Simon Phipp - Caldmore Chameleon - Wallowing in my elitism since 1982. Many Systems, One Family. Just a fanboy. 

www.soltakss.com/index.html

Jonstown Compendium author. Find my contributions here

1 hour ago, soltakss said:

I could do that. My take on QW and HQ is a very lite, no-nonsense version, though, but that might suit the P&BRC.

Well that would be fantastic. Just to have basic notes about adapting to QW running through the books. In the case of the first one (the Rough Guide) this would probably be as a separate appendix in the back, since it's mostly a guide with extra notes and stats at the end for turning it into a campaign source

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ian Thomson said:

The only possible other thing is if some volunteer QW stats genius wanted to go through everything and add notes for converting it to QW. Nobody has offered that yet though

HQ/QW is a bit odd here - the only things you need to stat at all (and "stat" mostly just means "include keywords to pick from") are stuff like professions and cults/magic, and maybe the occasional difficulty number. The tricky part is that since those are narrative games, adventures need to be constructed in certain ways to work for the style. It's technically super simple to convert anything to HQ/QW - as it doesn't even really use stats for the opposition - but if the original scenario isn't crafted in a way that fits narrative play, it won't be very satisfying. For instance, you can have good fun just bashing skeletons in a tomb and looting the treasure for a session in RQ, but that kind of thing tends to feel lacking in HQ/QW, the same way an episode of just clearing out the tomb wouldn't be very good tv in itself (but might be turned into it by adding interpersonal drama and character development).

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ian Thomson said:

Well that would be fantastic. Just to have basic notes about adapting to QW running through the books.

I think this is a good call.

Honestly, a lot of the things you would do to get HQ/QW to work are good to include anyway in RQ.

Edited by Akhôrahil
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
4 hours ago, Erol of Backford said:

How might one get a copy of Tentacles 4-6? I must have lost my way as I have the early ones...

Check Drivethrurpg for the pdfs. DIY printing will result in practically the same quality as the originals.

Telling how it is excessive verbis

9 hours ago, Joerg said:

DIY printing

Not sure what that is but I'll try anything if I can get my hands on them.

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

Did you mean Tradetalk #4-6?

I have all the originals from when I was young, so I am set there... thank you Sir!

13 hours ago, g33k said:

I would contact the fine folks at The Kraken.

Is Mr. Küchler on this site sometimes and or does anyone have a way to contact him? I have no social media and so am limited to this forum and email unfortunately...

2 hours ago, jajagappa said:

If you meant Ye Booke of Tentacles, no those are out of print.

Seeing about purchase of copies if anyone has some they don't need, Tentacles 4-6...

I cannot seem to locate any on line seeing a lot of "out of stock" of course.

I did order my POD, City on the Edge, looking to have another old-fashion in my lounge chair when it arrives!

Thank you all for the responses.

Vol01NewCoverJuly23_SML.jpg

• Like 1